s4xon

Well, in my opinion, Ortio certainly didn't hurt them.   Far from a saviour.  Far.  But, not bad considering he hasn't played in a long time.  Basically played at the same level Hiller and Ramo have been playing.

The book on Ortio is high glove side.  Hasn't changed.

Saying that, the 2nd goal was deflected off Russell, so it fluttered a bit higher than he was set for; it doesn't touch Russell, Ortio has it.  But, it wasn't Ortio that lost it.  They had a decent 1st and 1/2 a 2nd without a goal against a shaky goalie.  Then the wheels came off.  Scrambling.  Get it out, only to have it come back 5 seconds later.  Ring it out and it doesn't even get out.  

Give Ortio another start and ask the team to play in front of him.  Bollig should sit the rest of the season.  Bring in Nakladal to play with Dougie.  Give Russell to Engelland.  I only say that because Engelland will never sit, so Smid is the only realistic other choice.

Ortio was falling to his knees every time the NYI directed the puck at the net.  The scouting report was obviously shoot high because that is what the NYI were doing.  Ortio appeared to be struggling with the high shots, probably because his head was below the cross bar the majority of the time when attempting to make a save.  Given the situation with the three GT's, I agree with keeping Ortio on the team but he is not our saviour, Hiller is obviously and presently the better GT.

I agree with JJ, Ortio was no better than the other 2 we have. Our goal tending which kept us in games has me holding my breath ever time a shot is directed on net.  Despite who is in net, goal tending has not been good enough.

I'm not sure what may are expecting from the goaltenders when the entire team is playing poorly in front of them, of course they all look the same for a reason.

I'm not sure what may are expecting from the goaltenders when the entire team is playing poorly in front of them, of course they all look the same for a reason.

TBH, both Hiller and Ramo looked average at best.  Ortio played as well as he could with the same lineup (including Bollig, Smid and Engelland) playing in the back half of a B2B.  Hartley has options about playing guys that may be a little fresher, and not start to tire out after two periods.  Smid has worked out really hard to get back to game level, but he is out of practice.  Engelland is struggling with speedy teams.  We have a fresh guy just waiting to play.  And he is motivated.

TBH, both Hiller and Ramo looked average at best.  Ortio played as well as he could with the same lineup (including Bollig, Smid and Engelland) playing in the back half of a B2B.  Hartley has options about playing guys that may be a little fresher, and not start to tire out after two periods.  Smid has worked out really hard to get back to game level, but he is out of practice.  Engelland is struggling with speedy teams.  We have a fresh guy just waiting to play.  And he is motivated.

I think you are grasping at straws. Ortio will also look average until this team as a whole starts to play better.

Ortio was a marginal upgrade IMO and the only reason I think hew as a marginal upgrade is I think he did a good job of keeping them int he game for a longer period of time. HIller and Ramo so far this year were taking the Flames out of games early with avg play or poorly timed goals, but Ortio kept them in it till bascially the very end. So a slight improvment but certainly not a savoir but i never expected Ortio to be that and it was mostly hype that had him labelled a savoir.

• Like 1

Ortio was a marginal upgrade IMO and the only reason I think hew as a marginal upgrade is I think he did a good job of keeping them int he game for a longer period of time. HIller and Ramo so far this year were taking the Flames out of games early with avg play or poorly timed goals, but Ortio kept them in it till bascially the very end. So a slight improvment but certainly not a savoir but i never expected Ortio to be that and it was mostly hype that had him labelled a savoir.

It wouldn't bother me to see BH use Hiller as the regular and implement using the back up when they have back to back games subbing him in as needed to give Hiller the break.

Ortio was falling to his knees every time the NYI directed the puck at the net. The scouting report was obviously shoot high because that is what the NYI were doing. Ortio appeared to be struggling with the high shots, probably because his head was below the cross bar the majority of the time when attempting to make a save. Given the situation with the three GT's, I agree with keeping Ortio on the team but he is not our saviour, Hiller is obviously and presently the better GT.

That's what I've been saying all summer. He goes down on every shot.

I don't actually think anyone expected Ortio to be a saviour (at least on here, although I have spoken to some fans who felt that way).

He was either the same, or an upgrade, though.   No matter how you look at it, he has the higher ceiling.   You know he's going to be working on the high shots.  You know he's Probably going to do better the next game he's in. 

We all know it's folly to even evaluate him yet.  10 or 15 games in, okay.  We can weigh in with our opinions.    Human nature means we're going to evaluate him earlier than that.  But it's not going to actually mean anything until he's had more time.

• Like 1

That's a little unfair. He got beat by a very good shot on the 1st goal and Backlund missed his assignment a left Ryan all alone in front of the net on the 2nd.

The second goal was terribly weak. He is giving up a soft goal per game and not coming up with any clutch saves when we need it. Terrible is being polite.

<mod edit: unnecessary>

Bench Hartley for sending Hiller into the game after Hiller gets pulled last game. Hiller has proven his value (worthless) so give Ortio a chance to prove himself.

If we have any chance of getting into the playoffs, then we need to get Hiller going. If Hiller doesn't get it turned around then this is going to be a very long season, because I don't think we have any better options.

If we have any chance of getting into the playoffs, then we need to get Hiller going. If Hiller doesn't get it turned around then this is going to be a very long season, because I don't think we have any better options.

Why? He was average last year. He is replaceable. There is no reason Ramo or Ortio can't be better.

Why? He was average last year. He is replaceable. There is no reason Ramo or Ortio can't be better.

He was still our best goalie last year. Ramo has never played above backup level and I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is anything more than an Barrage backup.

Ortio is extremely inconsistent and put up very average stats in the AHL last year.

He was still our best goalie last year. Ramo has never played above backup level and I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is anything more than an Barrage backup.

Ortio is extremely inconsistent and put up very average stats in the AHL last year.

Regardless, letting terrible play stand in an attempt to get average goaltending doesn't work for me.

Don't get me wrong. I am not putting all of this on Hiller. The team (and other goalies) have been bad.

But Hiller needs to be a lot better or he needs to sit.

While I don't blame Hiller for the loss, he didn't give us one difficult save.  Anderson saved the game in OT.  We didn't see anything like that.  No shots in 10 minutes, and boom in the net.

Ortio finishes 2 games and stops 5/5 and 5/5.  His one lone start he was .900 with 27/31.  I don't even want to talk about Hiller.  I hope he isn't injured, but I was hoping Ortio would have started in the first place.  So, if Hiller is out, so we call up Ramo?  That is really not a solution, but Hartley will love it.