s4xon

News alot of people have been waiting for.......

@TSNBobMcKenzie  
Karri Ramo (CGY) on waivers.

I highly doubt he gets claimed and lets remember that just becuase he is on waivers may not mean anything in terms of a roster move. Could just be opening up options but I do think this means we are likely going to see Ortio in the near future.

He may get claimed. there are a few teams that could take him. Your no giving up anything and gaining quality goalie. Nashville, Islanders, Columbus, Buffalo Florida are a few. Not sure why the choice was Ramo over Hiller as I thought Hiller was the worse of the 2

I'm glad to see Ramo on waivers, although I don't think he's the root of the problem.  I was at the game last night and I was steaming by the end of the second period.  I got mighty tired of seeing odd-man rushes going the other way.

I've seen enough of Gio+Hamilton.  They're obviously good players, but there doesn't seem to be any chemistry between them. 

There are a few bright spots.  JH (obviously), Frolik and Kulak come to mind.  I'm rapidly becoming a Frolik fan.

• Like 1

He may get claimed. there are a few teams that could take him. Your no giving up anything and gaining quality goalie. Nashville, Islanders, Columbus, Buffalo Florida are a few. Not sure why the choice was Ramo over Hiller as I thought Hiller was the worse of the 2

Nashville, Islanders, Columbus and Florida all have goalies that are as good as Ramo or better so you can cross them off the list. Buffalo might take a flyer on Ramo, they might have approached the Flames saying if you put Ramo on waivers we will take him off your hands, but we aren't interested in giving anything up for him.

The reason Ramo goes on waivers over Hiller, is that Hiller is more proven at the NHL level than Ramo. If you are committing to having an unproven goalie in Ortio as part of your tandem, I want the goalie who has shown he can be a starter in the NHL as the other part of that tandem, Hiller has done that, Ramo hasn't.

Hiller will start Friday.........

Wrong decision IMO and Ortio should get the start but i'm done ranting or trying to give Hartley the benefit of the doubt. He is making a mistake IMO and you need to move on. Stop talking about what people did for you last year or what this team did last year and live in the now. Truth is, Hiller has been brutal and was brutal against Washington. Don't understand why you expect that to change suddenly.

There are two back-to-backs next week. 

Red Wings may be Hiller's last chance to show he can be the starter. Hartley may be saving Ortio for 3 games next week (one of each back to back and Wednesday)

That's my best guess at this point. 

But man we could be 1-10 at the end of next week if things don't improve.

It hasn't been much of the goalies fault so far.  The Flames have played really poorly.  I think waiving Ramo sends the wrong message, like we are blaming this bad start on goaltending.

The goaltending has definitely been part of the problem, and this begins to address the logjam at the position.

The last time the Flames had a GAA this bad, they got Sam Bennett as a consolation prize. 

IMO goaltending has cost them 2-3 points in the last week. Should have got at least a point in Winnipeg and i think if Ramo makes that save on Ovechkin good chance they get points last night. i thought outside 15 mins in the 2nd they were the better team they just couldn't get ANY saves.

So no, not their fault but lets not make it seem like goaltending isn't a huge problem with this team.

I don't think anyone is making it seem like goaltending isn't a problem, it had been the whole team to this point thus far.

They're still learning how to play NHL hockey. Everything can't go right all the time, and players go through hard times. Nearly everyone is slumping. Last year we had timely goals from random players who came from no where. It was too early to know what you got as one season sample isn't enough.

I like the feel good stories. Now it's time to prove you're not a one and done.

It hasn't been much of the goalies fault so far.  The Flames have played really poorly.  I think waiving Ramo sends the wrong message, like we are blaming this bad start on goaltending.

That is true.  What about Bollig?  Has he produced enough offence or defense or grit to justify being kept playing?  What about scratching Backlund, who has not been any kind of 2-way player this season?  What about scratching or waiving Russell?  What about sitting Dougie for a game (not right away, but soon)?

I don't think that Waving a goalie is meant to show that goaltending is the central problem. 

Its making space to bring up someone else so they have the ability to start sitting people. 

With Smid back, they now have 7d (soon to be 8) that they can sit people who are playing badly. 

We still can only sit 1 forward at a time. 

We need more bodies so we can take the underperformers out for a game to send a message and still ice a team. 

This is just the first step if people don't start stepping up. 

We potentially have 21 bodies, unless Smid is off IR.  When Smid is back, we have 22, but still only one extra forward.

Lot's of hungry players in the AHL right now that might give you 100% effort.  Saying that, the call up has to match the

place he would slot in.  Top 6 options, think Poirier, Granlund and Grant.  Bottom 6, think Hathaway, Klimchuk, Arnold....

We potentially have 21 bodies, unless Smid is off IR.  When Smid is back, we have 22, but still only one extra forward.

Lot's of hungry players in the AHL right now that might give you 100% effort.  Saying that, the call up has to match the

place he would slot in.  Top 6 options, think Poirier, Granlund and Grant.  Bottom 6, think Hathaway, Klimchuk, Arnold....

and yet they will call up Granlund and play him on the 4th line with Bollig.. :D

Yes, our goalies aren't stopping the puck at crucial points in the game but our scorers are also not scoring, our hitters not hitting, our D not playing D. We can't generate sustained pressure in the offensive zone, we can't connect on simple breakout passes, etc, etc.

We have 3 goalies. We are waiving a goalie so we can get to 2 goalies. It's not message that goaltending has been bad.

I mean it has been. Terrible really. But this had to happen at some point. It was just a matter of who and when.

We have 3 goalies. We are waiving a goalie so we can get to 2 goalies. It's not message that goaltending has been bad.

I mean it has been. Terrible really. But this had to happen at some point. It was just a matter of who and when.

If Hiller does no better in the next moth, you will see him on waivers.  Queue up Ramo, fresh off an AHL stint, assuming he has improved.  

The fact it was Hiller smacks of BT making the decision.  But, flip a coin if you want.  It had to be one of those two.  

I just want to say a couple things to those who have been proclaiming Ortio our saviour and to place him in the nets now.

If the only problem with the Flames was our goaltending then I might agree with you. The problem is that the goaltending while subpar is not the only problem here. Putting Ortio in right this minute, is throwing him into the fire and makes him does nothing but put a big pack of pressure on him.

We did that with Irving.. and he was fairly solid until an 8-0 loss in Boston and he was never the same after....

I don't want to waste all the time we have spent on Ortio and his development in a few pressure games. That is not fair. He has not played in a game situation yet and needs time to prepare. I would tell him he is getting the upcoming back to backs and let him get ready for them.

The season will not be lost on the next game... Ortio does not need to be given the next start, as saviour to the Flames season, placed on his back

• Like 4

I just want to say a couple things to those who have been proclaiming Ortio our saviour and to place him in the nets now.

If the only problem with the Flames was our goaltending then I might agree with you. The problem is that the goaltending while subpar is not the only problem here. Putting Ortio in right this minute, is throwing him into the fire and makes him does nothing but put a big pack of pressure on him.

We did that with Irving.. and he was fairly solid until an 8-0 loss in Boston and he was never the same after....

I don't want to waste all the time we have spent on Ortio and his development in a few pressure games. That is not fair. He has not played in a game situation yet and needs time to prepare. I would tell him he is getting the upcoming back to backs and let him get ready for them.

The season will not be lost on the next game... Ortio does not need to be given the next start, as saviour to the Flames season, placed on his back

I agree.   I DO think he needs a start soon.  But I really think your message about development is bang on.  

Ortio is not here to bail us out of this (if he does, hey.  great).   He's here to develop at the NHL level and this will take time.  We Can't evaluate him from the first game.  We can Begin to speculate, and speculate only, after maybe 10 games minimum.

I applaud the move by the Flames (whoever made it).   Not happy about how we got here but at least it's being addressed.

Our problems arent over, mind you.  We still have too many veteran goalies.   It's Gillies who I feel sorry for now.

I Really still do hope that Hiller can regain his form.   And if he does, he really should be traded.  But he's not going to have any trade value in October, or probably November either.

Somewhat agree.  Goaltending is a problem, so it has to be fixed.  Get Ortio involved in the solution.

Defense is also a problem.  Fix that by switching up the pairs.  Insert (possibly) 2 new guys.

Some forwards have been looking bad.  Send Raymond down and sit Bollig.  Call up somebody and sit somebody.

The root cause is unknown.  It looks to be chemistry, lack of skill, lack of compete, or returning to normal.

You can't just pick one thing and wait for it to right the ship.  You have to fix a few things at once and look for immediate returns.

Some things will show not to be working, but at least you haven't waited 5 more games to try something else.