s4xon

Looks like we're starting with Ramo and Hiller as backup. Ortio scratched: 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=41657&navid=nhl:topheads

Will be interesting to see how long this setup lasts. 

Smart move. Just the fact that the Islanders claimed Berube off the Kings as possible insurance for Halak's injury says that no way Ortio would have cleared. So BT was smart not trying to sneak him through.

I believe this ends with Hiller either being traded or exposed on waivers. If someone offers us a knock-it-out-of-the-park deal for Ramo , then I believe that's certainly an option too. But I firmly believe Hiller is the target .

I give it 10 games to be settled. Lehner has looked shaky in Buffalo, Halak is uncertain, Toronto still hates their goaltending,.. some team will expose a need for a solid guy to carry some load

Smart move. Just the fact that the Islanders claimed Berube off the Kings as possible insurance for Halak's injury says that no way Ortio would have cleared. So BT was smart not trying to sneak him through.

I believe this ends with Hiller either being traded or exposed on waivers. If someone offers us a knock-it-out-of-the-park deal for Ramo , then I believe that's certainly an option too. But I firmly believe Hiller is the target .

I give it 10 games to be settled. Lehner has looked shaky in Buffalo, Halak is uncertain, Toronto still hates their goaltending,.. some team will expose a need for a solid guy to carry some load

Not sure of the length of time this will be done.  Hartley has said he will go with the hot hand; you win, you get another game, you lose you don't.  Leeway will be given if your goalie is peppered or gives up one goal in a 1-0 loss.

I can't see Ortio being waived, but the number of goalies will be reduced once Smid, Colborne and Brodie return.  Colborne will be the 13th F, and we will have 8 D.  Somebody gotta go.  Kulak has about 10 games to prove he needs to stay.  Wish him luck.

Holding Ortio for 2-3 weeks from exposing him to waivers could also be letting teams go and address their concerns first and then trying to hide them. Anyone claimed on waivers has to stay on the roster for 30 days so in 2 weeks from now, assuming no major injuries or dissapointments occur, may be possible to sneak Ortio becuase I think any teams with immediate needs are likely to address them between now and then.

Holding Ortio for 2-3 weeks from exposing him to waivers could also be letting teams go and address their concerns first and then trying to hide them. Anyone claimed on waivers has to stay on the roster for 30 days so in 2 weeks from now, assuming no major injuries or dissapointments occur, may be possible to sneak Ortio becuase I think any teams with immediate needs are likely to address them between now and then.

Still a very high risk to take. Desperate teams do desperate things at times. I would rather expose Hiller or Ramo to waivers and bury their salary in the A rather than lose Ortio. I think of the three he has the most upside. Do I think he's our future? Not really sure. He needs to play more to establish himself and show he's ready. This is why I think we have the three of them on the roster. The Flames will want to give him his time to show what he can do. I believe he gets the start at home in the third game. He will be the back up for the second game behind Hiller.

I doubt that Ramo was signed at the last minute, only to be waived come the start of the season.  Ortio is a huge risk to waive, while Hiller is not.  If the competition between the three is still too close to call, then a trade becomes likely, as they are all performing well.

Why do the Sabres "have to" improve this season?  I think they'll be happy to draft Auston Matthews in June and stand pat with their goaltending situation.  They look like the lotto favorites again this season.

I agree with San Jose except we will have to wait and see if Jones can get it done as a full time starter.  He very well could be good enough.

The Flyers might be interested in a Luke Schenn for Hiller deal.  Maybe?

Maybe the Leafs would be interested as I feel Hiller is an improvement over Bernier and Reimer.

The Sabres need to improve after their last obviously tanking season and that massive trades they made. With all the talk they have done this off season I dont see the fan base being impressed with another bottom 5 finish. 

I dont think the Flyers have any need or want for Hiller, they have Mason and he is fine in net, their defense is a bunch of money burning garbage that is the problem. 

I doubt that Ramo was signed at the last minute, only to be waived come the start of the season.  Ortio is a huge risk to waive, while Hiller is not.  If the competition between the three is still too close to call, then a trade becomes likely, as they are all performing well.

Ramo wasnt signed last minute, he wanted to see what offers there where out in free agency for him. When he wasnt getting what he was looking for during the open talk period before free agency he came back to the Flames. 

Even with the 5-1 loss I think Ramo had a helluva game. He had maybe 1 bad goal, that being the first goal, but it was a bullet by Hansen. The other goals were all on poor defensive breakdowns. I remember Kipper having a few of these nights.

I like Ramo, but he cheated off the post on the 1st goal, that's a standard positional save. The 2nd goal poor rebound control, 3rd goal poor rebound control, both 2 and 3 he tried steering to the corner and got killed for it. 4th goal he was out of position but was really wideman, 5th goal came off the post. So 4 of the 5 he could are on him. Did he make some good saves sure, he like the team were horrible.

I dont' blame Ramo at all. I would fault him for the 3rd goal and that's it. 3 of the goals were excellent plays by the Canucks that I don't think anyone stops and then you have Wideman's screw up. He played solid, albeit not overly spectacular either but with how poorly the Flames played that game could have been 6 or 7-1 pretty easily.

It seemed like typical Ramo, he will make some incredible saves and then let in some goals that a more technically sound goalie would save.

The first goal was very stoppable, Ramo just had keep his glove where it was. Instead he dropped it and then tried to bring it back up, all while sliding away from his post opening up the short side.

The 5th goal was just awful, the puck should never go in from that angle.

With that said he wasn't the only reason we lost, the whole team played bad.

It seemed like typical Ramo, he will make some incredible saves and then let in some goals that a more technically sound goalie would save.

The first goal was very stoppable, Ramo just had keep his glove where it was. Instead he dropped it and then tried to bring it back up, all while sliding away from his post opening up the short side.

The 5th goal was just awful, the puck should never go in from that angle.

With that said he wasn't the only reason we lost, the whole team played bad.

I don't know if this loss makes any difference to the rotation.  Any of the three goalies can win in Vancouver.  

If we are going to give up over 30 shots a game, it going to be a goalie turnstyle.  Three goalies isn't enough for that.

Even with the 5-1 loss I think Ramo had a helluva game. He had maybe 1 bad goal, that being the first goal, but it was a bullet by Hansen. The other goals were all on poor defensive breakdowns. I remember Kipper having a few of these nights.

He had a few tbh, the 5th was a real stinker as was the 3rd. The 1st was a blast by Hansen, hard to stop, but like the last goal he isn't sharp on his short-side which Van kept trying to expose. I keep hearing about his athleticism but what I see is cheating too much, those are 2 different things.

I was surprised Hiller didn't get the nod, but we still would have lost.

You take away 3 goals that came from cheating, but bare in mind he had 3-4 saves on almost definite goals.

I agree with cross it probably should have been 7-1.

I don't know if this loss makes any difference to the rotation. Any of the three goalies can win in Vancouver.

If we are going to give up over 30 shots a game, it going to be a goalie turnstyle. Three goalies isn't enough for that.

We should see a Hiller/Ortio tandem in Vancouver.

After Pang showed the difference in styles goaltenders play, it took a bit off Ramos shoulder.

The Sedin goal on the line, Ramo was going left to right and was just getting to his post. Although I still think he didn't play well, but the whole team stunk up the joint.

After Pang showed the difference in styles goaltenders play, it took a bit off Ramos shoulder.

The Sedin goal on the line, Ramo was going left to right and was just getting to his post. Although I still think he didn't play well, but the whole team stunk up the joint

I think far too often fans tend to blame their goalie rather then just give an opposing players Kudos. That was just a great play by the Canucks that I don't think any Flames goal stops. The pass was to quick and Sedin got it away so fast that I think your expecting to much for Ramo to go post to post and then get set to block that, let alone get his glove up to protect the top of the net. Just a well exectued goal by Vancouver so give them kudos.

Same thing on the Sutter goal. Most goalies are taught to redict rebounds off to the side so they wind up in the corner. Ramo did probably exactly what he was taught, it just so happend Sutter made a great play to knock it out of the air. He didn't play great, but I think we need to give more credit to how well Vancouver played

• Like 1

We were outshot 44-30. 

Only the best goalies in the league would win that game, and even they'd need us to score more than one.

Did Ramo let in a couple questionable goals? Yes. But he had at least 3 major stops. Trade those off and you're looking at the same score. 

Should we try another goalie next game? Sure. if for no reason other than keeping them all fresh and seeing what we have. But is this loss on Ramo? not at all. 

The whole team played poorly outside of the top line. We started off well but progressively faded through the game. 

Hopefully a bad game rather than predictive. 

Hiller in the starter net at practice so looking like he will start Saturday.

This decision I agree with but I really think the Flames are going to wind up in problems if they can't pick a goalie this year. I have a hard time seeing that system working 2 years in a row. Someone needs to step up or they need to look at different options.

This seems to be where the Flames brass seems to be out of touch. It's as though they don't trust the goaltending. A decision needs to be made sooner rather than later. If it were me I would have let Ortio run with the ball for the first 5 games and see what he has to offer. If he struggles than it's easy, you waive him. If he plays well, then there's the decision on who goes. Either Hiller or Ramo. As the old saying goes, modified to say on here, Crap or get off the pot!

Like I said, I'm not willing to place the blame on Ramo for last night's game. The whole team stunk up the joint. I think Ramo played well enough to have given the Flames a chance in this game but for lack of effort on the rest of the team they just seemed to call it in.

It doesn't look like  our passion rate went up at all I know this is just the first of many but even Birch was out playing our boys at the end of the game. Sad excuse for a game on the Flames side but on a good note we got beat last yr by the nucks and look how it ended. I guess back to the drawing board. I don't think you can Blame goal tending I put it our defensive side of the game our D shouldn't be playing forward when they can't play defence .  

I believe zima's last sentence hit the nail on the head. The D was pulling too quickly in general, and Wideman and Russell in particular were not sharp. It's the 6 game new season AHL play, it'll balance out.

Start your vet opening night Hartley, you have 3 goalies.

If your vet gets burned, so be it.

I didn't like that he started Ramo over Hiller, regardless of whatever "message" he was sending.