s4xon

I don't know about that.  Some other goalie have gotten longer contracts.  

As far as teams wanting a player like him, consider teams in rebuild-mode.  They just have to look at the positive impact he had in Calgary.  If we just offer a one-year deal or let him walk, he is going to get an offer elsewhere.  At TDL, his value would probably be highest in trade, though.

Goalie trade market is not very good so i wouldn't expect much for Hller. if they got a 3rd rounder at the deadline I would be impressed.

I don't know about that. Some other goalie have gotten longer contracts.

As far as teams wanting a player like him, consider teams in rebuild-mode. They just have to look at the positive impact he had in Calgary. If we just offer a one-year deal or let him walk, he is going to get an offer elsewhere. At TDL, his value would probably be highest in trade, though.

Other teams in rebuild mode aren't like the Flames. We had expectations to win and I think other teams feel they need to lose to draft high while rebuilding.

Goalie trade market is not very good so i wouldn't expect much for Hller. if they got a 3rd rounder at the deadline I would be impressed.

If you were a team that may contend for the playoffs, do you stays with your backup who may be just over 0.500 in wins or do you want to spend a prorated portion of $4.5m on a goalie with playoff experience?

The Flames won't keep him that lone, just saying that would be the best time to trade him.  Now is not so good.

I think if we run with Hiller, we have to keep him the rest of the year. Not liking Hiller doesn't mean I don't see that he did a lot to help us get in, but I think, if you've chosen him to go this season you have to.

Whomever is among the tandem, would have to prove they could carry the load the rest of the way in order to trade Hiller. Because it would depend on whether the third goalie had to go through waivers.

Although, I think right now would be a good time waive one if needed. Maybe a trade happens though.

If you were a team that may contend for the playoffs, do you stays with your backup who may be just over 0.500 in wins or do you want to spend a prorated portion of $4.5m on a goalie with playoff experience?

The Flames won't keep him that lone, just saying that would be the best time to trade him.  Now is not so good.

Hillers value would be at its highest if and when a contending teams has a major injury or they guy they thought was their guy falters (ala Minny last year). I don't think Hillers value changes much between now and the deadline becuase the cap is always going to make Hiller a less attractive option to a contending team.

either way, my point was i don't think anyone should expect Hiller to garner that much if they trade him at all. Whether its nor or the TDL I think his value is small and will remain as such. Cautiously, a 4th round pick, with a 3rd being best case sceanario.

Hillers value would be at its highest if and when a contending teams has a major injury or they guy they thought was their guy falters (ala Minny last year). I don't think Hillers value changes much between now and the deadline becuase the cap is always going to make Hiller a less attractive option to a contending team.

either way, my point was i don't think anyone should expect Hiller to garner that much if they trade him at all. Whether its nor or the TDL I think his value is small and will remain as such. Cautiously, a 4th round pick, with a 3rd being best case sceanario.

The cost of Hiller is prorated, so it takes up less space the later in the year it is.  At least that is my understanding.  If you had $2m in cap space at the start of the year, after 3/4 of the season Hiller would cost you $1.125m in cap space.

The cost of Hiller is prorated, so it takes up less space the later in the year it is.  At least that is my understanding.  If you had $2m in cap space at the start of the year, after 3/4 of the season Hiller would cost you $1.125m in cap space.

you are correct, but keep in mind that over half the league has less then 4 mill in cap space right now and most of the "contenders" less than that. whether or not they can technically fit it in my become irrlevant. The argument will likely be how likely are we to want to pay someone 1 million to make what will probably amount to less than 5 starts and how do we justify that over other needs. especially when there likely to be much cheaper options available.

The problem is that if we are thinking of trading Hiller at the deadline it most likely out of the playoffs and part of that can attributed to Hiller not playing up to par or that Ramo or Ortio has out played Hiller. Either way it really hurts the trade value of Hiller.

• Like 1

Ok you are now BT standing in front of the media scrum after Ortio claimed off waivers;

Mr. Treliving, yesterday the Flames attempted to send Ortio to Stockton, the process required him to clear waivers first.  Today the EDM Oilers claimed Ortio and the Flames lost their best young goalie prospect in recent time.  Mr. Treliving, the Flames appeared to have made a huge miscalculation, with two veteran goalies remaining, with neither signed beyond this year, could you please explain what lead to this decision and why a talented young goalie with huge upside is no longer with this club?

Bite me.

It is assumed everyone's post is personal opinion.

I would have hoped.

So my personal conviction means jack.

How shocking.

Bite me.

Did Ortio lose his chance to start the season with the Flames with a 3-1 loss to the Jets?

We put forward an AHL roster against a late preseason NHL roster.  The coaches were experimenting with different players in different roles.  Ortio played fine.  I don't think it hurt his chances even a little.  

We put forward an AHL roster against a late preseason NHL roster.  The coaches were experimenting with different players in different roles.  Ortio played fine.  I don't think it hurt his chances even a little.  

If we go by pre-season performance, there were no losers, but it would be Hiller and Ortio, with Ramo on the outside looking in.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/stats/playersort/nhl/year-2015-season-preseason-category-goalsagainstaverage

Ortio posted a stellar 1.62 GAA and a 9.46, good for 17th overall in the preseason, and slightly better than Ramo, imho.

Factor in age, and potential....it's pretty straightforward who should have the upper hand.

On the flip side, all three did very well.   I would expect that Hiller and Ramo are on the trading block.  That would make more sense, as all three of these goalies exhibited NHL quality tending.

I really only see 3 possibilities for a Hiller trade, barring a major injury to a goalie. First and I think most likely is the Sabres, Lehner hasnt been good and they have to improve this season. Hiller would be a solid tandem for them for 1 season. Second one is the Sharks. Not sure Jones can carry the load for them, and with their core this season might be the last kick at the can for them. Last is the Oilers, I dont see Talbot being much if any better than Scrivens was last year for them. At some point the Oilers have to take a step forward and I dont know if the new management will be willing to kill another season off with bad goaltending.

I see what you did there. It sort of reminds me of that time in Dallas... When Kari was Lehtonen too many goals.

Love.

Seems they just weren't Quick enough and didn't pay the Price...   Maybe they should have used a Cristobal to see if they should have stuck with a Legacy like Thomas...

• Like 1

:lol:

I remember Luongo when the Canucks Lack'd a decent goalie.

I Cannata Imagine why they traded them when they were supposedly sober before it was even Miller time...   It's not like they were getting Auld either...   They took a Gamble and got Snow'ed...   They should try and get them Bachman...

• Like 1

They said they have made the decision but haven't talked to the goalies yet, nor told us the decision.  BH said we wouldn't be surprised so I'm taking that as Hiller starts and I have no clue about the other two...  We'll know soon enough.

The other thing to note is that almost every year, the goalie that starts the final pre-season game starts the regular season.

I Cannata Imagine why they traded them when they were supposedly sober before it was even Miller time...   It's not like they were getting Auld either...   They took a Gamble and got Snow'ed...   They should try and get them Bachman...

Now we're getting a bit off topic. I think the question is, what do we do in Calgary?

It's possible that Jonas is over the Hiller, and Joni'd to consider that maybe Ramo should Karri the load.

Love.

• Like 1

I really only see 3 possibilities for a Hiller trade, barring a major injury to a goalie. First and I think most likely is the Sabres, Lehner hasnt been good and they have to improve this season. Hiller would be a solid tandem for them for 1 season. Second one is the Sharks. Not sure Jones can carry the load for them, and with their core this season might be the last kick at the can for them. Last is the Oilers, I dont see Talbot being much if any better than Scrivens was last year for them. At some point the Oilers have to take a step forward and I dont know if the new management will be willing to kill another season off with bad goaltending.

Why do the Sabres "have to" improve this season?  I think they'll be happy to draft Auston Matthews in June and stand pat with their goaltending situation.  They look like the lotto favorites again this season.

I agree with San Jose except we will have to wait and see if Jones can get it done as a full time starter.  He very well could be good enough.

The Flyers might be interested in a Luke Schenn for Hiller deal.  Maybe?

Maybe the Leafs would be interested as I feel Hiller is an improvement over Bernier and Reimer.

Now we're getting a bit off topic. I think the question is, what do we do in Calgary?

It's possible that Jonas is over the Hiller, and Joni'd to consider that maybe Ramo should Karri the load.

Love.

GROAN

Given that both Raymond and Byron are on waivers to go down, it seems pretty certain we're starting with three goalies to give Ortio a chance.