s4xon

I don't agree that it's too soon for Ortio.  He's almost 24, been in the organization for 6 years, is an AHL all star this year, has been excellent and the difference in both starts he's been given, plus he was decent last year for the Flames.  IMO, the Flames need better goaltending as Hiller/Ramo are both inconsistent.  The opportunity is there right now for Ortio so I'm hoping he plays his way onto the team this season. What to do with Hiller or Ramo is a good problem to have as I think either could be moved for something.  I bet the Oilers would take Hiller off our hands !  Anyway, it's always fun watching a fresh face come in and play well.  Tonight's game should be a real test for Ortio !

I don't think anyone is saying it is too soon for him to play in the NHL.  We are saying its too soon to anoint him as the next Kipper based on 2 NHL games this season.  I am fine having him back-up Hiller this season if we get a decent return on Ramo or if Ortio keeps earning starts.  I am also fine with him doing that next season instead.  

Interesting comments coming on these goalies who I think have both done quite well keeping the team in games. let's not forget we have some weakness within our D ranks that doesn't make it any easier on any goalie. Ortio has done well which is great but I don't think anyone should ragging on Ramos or Hiller at this point.

• Like 1

Do any of our goaltenders have those keys right now?   I see it like this:

Which of our goaltenders are of the right age and skill level to win us a cup in the next ten years?

Hiller:  No

Ramo:  No

Gillies:  Maybe

Ortio:    Maybe

MacDonald:  ?

No's are expendable.  And interchangeable.  And readily available on the free agent market for the right price.  'm not saying we can afford to lose Hiller and Ramo at the same time.  I'm saying we don't need both.  And replacements (Thomas Vokoun, Tim Thomas, etc) are readily available.

Patrick Roy is also a proven starter, but he is 49 years old.  Hiller is turning 33 in a few weeks.

He had a great start, but even then it wasn't like in his prime.  He is starting to show that he is "Over the Hiller".   Still lots of value there, but the only way he's winning anyone a cup is as a backup, on a contender, and this year.

I would argue that 20 games in, this discussion will be much too late.

The discussion is early, yes.   Too early?  Not so sure.

Thanks DD!   I like to think I'm growing up, but that's because I like fiction :)

Whatever happens, I think we are in for a real treat in net.   Just wait until Gillies enters the scene.

Gillies is my favorite of all of them and the one I am most optimistic about. I have thought he has the highest potential since we drafted him. That string of shutouts last season confirmed it somewhat.

Gillies is my favorite of all of them and the one I am most optimistic about. I have thought he has the highest potential since we drafted him. That string of shutouts last season confirmed it somewhat.

Me too.   Like others have said, it's voodoo.  Ortio and Gillies are both soo good, both could so easily flop or so easily become top 5 in the NHL.   A lot of it is luck (you can never have too many goaltending prospects), and a lot of it is development (oh...actually, you can have too many)

Ortio looks very human tonight. My guess is he is sent down and Ramo is activated. He will be back though. Probably pretty soon.

Ortio is not going anywhere, at least not until he loses. That's 3 wins now, let's hope he can win 10 straight

Go Ortio, Go Flames!

Ortio looks very human tonight. My guess is he is sent down and Ramo is activated. He will be back though. Probably pretty soon.

I don't know. I thought he looked pretty good despite a stretch early in the 2nd where the Sharks were flying. He made a beautiful save to keep the game tied at 3 off of the Marleau breakaway late in the third. He still looks very composed in net and is very fluid. He's a gamer for sure. It's a forgone conclusion he has to go back to Addy as you have said but all in all I think he's been very impressive. He makes the jump by year's end at the earliest but if not he's on the team next season in my opinion.

Just a total gut hunch, but I'm hoping he gets the anaheim start first.

Me too

Agreed. Much too early. The only thing we are being shown right now is that our development at the goalie position is secure and on track. To earlly to be annointing or trading. Likely how this plays out is ortio goes back after the road trip, , possibly a home start.

We finish the year with ramo and Hiller. Ramo gets resigned. No way we just let him walk

Training camp next year determines our top 2. The sign to watch for is Gillies, if he signs one gets traded...if not then it gets interesting because its critical that Adirondack has a development goalie leading it

We were able to trade Berra last year cuz Ortio is knocking, and even then had to go get Hiller. To trade ramo or Hiller now sets development back 2 years

From what I remember, Ortio was good last year in his first few games and then teams started to figure him out and he regressed. I noticed tonight the Sharks started going high on him and I think that he tends to go down a bit soon. I like the idea of seeing the 10-15 game sample size because then the teams will be able to study his tendencies and adjust. This way we know if he can handle those adjustments.

Ortio is covering off the injury time to Ramos, when Ramos is ready Ortio goes back down. Let's not get over excited here.

Sure.  Most likely, that's the case.  And it suits me fine, because I'd like to see Ortio win a championship in the AHL and I'd also like to see us get a decent draft pick this year.

But "temporary" as it may be, everything has changed.

Ortio is covering off the injury time to Ramos, when Ramos is ready Ortio goes back down. Let's not get over excited here.

Doubt it. Hartley's not your norm NHL coach, it's quite obvious he loves to go with the flow, If Ortio stays hot why would Hartley drop him once Ramo is ready to go?

Honestly, with the way Ortio's playing right now, he's proven he's twice the player Ramo has been for us this season, Hartley understands this, best way moving forward is with our best players.

Again, this is Hartley we're talking about here.

Doubt it. Hartley's not your norm NHL coach, it's quite obvious he loves to go with the flow, If Ortio stays hot why would Hartley drop him once Ramo is ready to go?

Again, this is Hartley we're talking about here.

It might come down to roster flexibility. When Ramo comes back one of Ortio, Granlund or Shore have to go down.

Sure.  Most likely, that's the case.  And it suits me fine, because I'd like to see Ortio win a championship in the AHL and I'd also like to see us get a decent draft pick this year.

But "temporary" as it may be, everything has changed.

I hope that he is in Calgary long enough to see what he has become. Is he a 4-4-1 goalie like last year, where he looked other-worldly in stretches or is he a Ramo, who has 2 great games in a row and then hits a wall (or the wall hits him, Mr. Diaz).

Ramo is ready to play, so right now we are carrying 3 goalies. I would like to see him get the start against ANA to break the curse, but maybe that is too much to ask. LA is next, so we'll see who starts. It either Ramo or Ortio; battle of the Finns.

It might come down to roster flexibility. When Ramo comes back one of Ortio, Granlund or Shore have to go down.

There's no denying that, but no way is Hartley starting Ramo over Ortio, if let's say Ortio is 6-1 in starts by the time Ramo is back, I just don't see it.

The question I would have if I'm BT is, is Ortio a hot goalie or a really good goalie with a future here ?  I don't think they answer that question by sending him down.  Keep playing him for as long as he can keep it going and if he turns out to be a really good goalie, get rid of someone to make room for him.  Even if he's just on a hot streak, the Flames really needs these wins so I see no reason why they won't keep playing him.

This is true. He's only here for injury relief, and once Ramo returns form injury, then Ortio will go down. I see Ortio being hot for 5-10 games before cooling down. I would stay the course with Ramo and Hiller for now, but if either goalie cannot preform in the second half, then trade Ramo, and give Ortio the start.  

You might wanna check out Petr Mrazic, their 3rd string starter, and future in net.

I wouldn't be cheering too hard for "the monster"'s return if I'm a Wings fan.

I like this line of thinking, however Mrazek has been one of the hottest GT's in the AHL and has been developing steadily for the last few years. 

Maybe just a rough outing but Mrazek was pulled tonight vs BUF after allowing 3 goals on the first 7 shots.  Tom McCollum (1 NHL game) came in as relief.  DET is trying to down play their goal tender issues.  When they say min 2 weeks for Howard after being stretchered off I'd say they're off by at least two weeks.  

Its official he's getting the start in LA.

If he can get a win there then I say he at least gets a shot in Anaheim.

If he wins that....things get VERY interesting.

No surprise there.  Hartley has been consistent with his goalies.  The message has been clear for two years now, if you win you play again.  The Flames have room on the roster for 3 goaltenders, its not ideal and no one likes it but Ortio.  W's provide for an exception.  

No surprise there.  Hartley has been consistent with his goalies.  The message has been clear for two years now, if you win you play again.  The Flames have room on the roster for 3 goaltenders, its not ideal and no one likes it but Ortio.  W's provide for an exception.  

The question becomes (if that was to happen), do we want to carry 3? or use it as an opportunity to upgrade 5/6 d in a trade?

We theoretically have enough cap space we could eat half of Hiller's salary if need be. Unfortunately, all the other pieces we need to offload have little to no trade value.

The question becomes (if that was to happen), do we want to carry 3? or use it as an opportunity to upgrade 5/6 d in a trade?

We theoretically have enough cap space we could eat half of Hiller's salary if need be. Unfortunately, all the other pieces we need to offload have little to no trade value.

IMO, Ortio is one lose away from being sent down.  In the meantime lets enjoy the W's and reward the kid for several years of good play.  Flames need to show him there is light at the end of tunnel.  I don't think there is any hurry on moving a GT but you can been the issue is now being discussed and explored.