s4xon

Would love to see Hiller come to Calgary however its a double edged sword.  Yes, we could be in the running for Hiller but would he take a back up role when he could easily be a starter on just about any other team?  And Ramo, how does he handle it?  Hiller, as the back up, will cost you close to double if not more than what you're paying Ramo.  Does it push Ramo or does it totally blow his confidence?  In my opinion the first blunder Burke made was when he stated that Ramo would be coming back this upcoming season as the number 1.  If I were him I would be regretting saying that.  Especially seeing the talent that is going to free agency and what the cap will be.  A statement like that is pretty hard to take back.  And let's face it, everyone knew well in advance that Hiller would probably be hitting the FA market.  I would hate to see a goalie controversy disrupting all that the Flames worked so hard to build this past season as far as comradery and team cohesiveness goes.

From what I saw, even when Ramo struggled, I thought he was the better of the two goalies (he and Berra). He looked calmer under pressure and held himself better positionally. Berra made the incredible saves, but that was because he was out of position. 

I think he needs to play. Not Kiprusoff play, but play a lot. I think 3 out of 5 which gives him 50 games. It's for the one year and see what he's made of. 

Personally, as much as Burke hates losing, I think he still realizes that we're not in a position to contend and is saying the right things and learnt from mistakes made in Toronto not to rush things. With the way the Flames ended the season, they owe it to Ramo to see what he can do, as a big part of what the team did, was due to Ramo's play. 

We have to also remember, Ramo did this playing against the opposing team's back-ups most of the time so our team would have done worse if the other teams played their starters and Ramo kept us in there. That's just to recognize that the offense might not have been as good as we thought last year.

From what I saw, even when Ramo struggled, I thought he was the better of the two goalies (he and Berra). He looked calmer under pressure and held himself better positionally. Berra made the incredible saves, but that was because he was out of position. 

I think he needs to play. Not Kiprusoff play, but play a lot. I think 3 out of 5 which gives him 50 games. It's for the one year and see what he's made of. 

Personally, as much as Burke hates losing, I think he still realizes that we're not in a position to contend and is saying the right things and learnt from mistakes made in Toronto not to rush things. With the way the Flames ended the season, they owe it to Ramo to see what he can do, as a big part of what the team did, was due to Ramo's play. 

We have to also remember, Ramo did this playing against the opposing team's back-ups most of the time so our team would have done worse if the other teams played their starters and Ramo kept us in there. That's just to recognize that the offense might not have been as good as we thought last year.

Flames finished bottom third of the league in goals for, shots for and PP. Definitely no hiding the fact that this is not a very good offence in calgary right now and the fact they had so many 1 goal games support that. Just not enough good goal scoters.

Hard to say we lack scoring potential given that scenerio. The team also played for extended periods of time without Glencross, Cammalleri, Hudler, Stempniak, D Jones and Wideman.

Undoubtedly any roster we have will have to stay healthy in order to produce a positive outcome. The positives going forward would be to resign Cammalleri and keep his production. Backlund showed real improvement. Monahan and Colburne showed solid development growth. Brodie and Russell on the backend improved this past season.

The goal IMO should be to improve on this past season and continue to build solid depth throughout the farm.

Flames finished bottom third of the league in goals for, shots for and PP. Definitely no hiding the fact that this is not a very good offence in calgary right now and the fact they had so many 1 goal games support that. Just not enough good goal scoters.

Reimer to Winnipeg rumor, feel better ? LOL

That would be perfectly fine with me.  :D

It's going to be interesting to see where McDonald fits in the Flames' goalie development depth chart in 2 years.  He's still quite a ways away from any sort of pro action.

Doc Seaman a Flames (past) owner once told me "you can never have to much goaltending".

That would be perfectly fine with me.  :D

It's going to be interesting to see where McDonald fits in the Flames' goalie development depth chart in 2 years.  He's still quite a ways away from any sort of pro action.

Reimer to Winnipeg rumor, feel better ? LOL

Those probably won't stop. TML fans feel that every player is in demand by the team in their home province (just like they feel every Ont. born player secretly has this over-whelming desire to play for the Leafs).

The Jets could have a tandem of Lundqvist & Quick but Leaf Nation would see them trading 1 of them for Reimer. :lol:

Our goaltending has to be competitive, McDonald solves it, we're done at G prospects.

Time to move on in other areas. Backend out. Stability on D is the objective now.

Except that we need a capable backup until our current crop of goalies ripen. Ortio could be a 1a/1b goalie in 2015/16. Ramo could have a breakout year in 2014/15. Gillies could find his game again and be ready for Addy in 2015/16 or chose to play another year in the NCAA.

So, we need a backup that can be 100% serviceable as a backup playing 20-30 games. Has to be a guy that is used to that kind of schedule. In case of injury to Ramo, he has to be capable of being a 1a/1b guy druing that time.

In some ways, Hiller fits the bill, but being a backup on a bottom-tier team is a big drop from ANAHEIM.

I was trying to think of a kind way of saying that MacDonald was washed up, but then the thought occurred to me that if he has never been anything other than a mediocre goaltender at any point of his career, it makes it rather difficult to say that his skill level has actually deteriorated...   :ph34r:

While I have to admit that MacDonald has had a few good games and on occasion has made some stellar saves during his tenure with the Flames, it is much easier to point out his poor performances and instances of absolute incompetence...

Some of his bad games are hard to forget, like the loss against the Yotes on Oct. 22nd last season...   This is one of my "favorite"? examples of atrocious goaltending by Joey Mac...   Similar circumstances, but they were different goals...

e90d7faa0c41960675c41a6852deebd0.png

He lost sight of the puck, and sure that happens, but as a goaltender I can tell you that it should have been be a pretty good clue in both of those instances as to it's probable location when all of the players in his immediate vicinity from both teams had their attention focused off to his left side...   It is a basic instinct to at least have a quick glance in that direction, which then also lets you know if there is a player(s) from the other team that is open...   It is also quite simply an elemental and integral part of goaltending 101...

To have that happen once in game is an embarrassment, even if it is a rare incident...   I have to admit that I have made similar mistakes myself in the heat of the moment, and over time no doubt more than once, every goaltender does   :ph34r: ...   But to let it happen twice in the same game would be unthinkable...   I have known other goalies that would not have done that even after consuming most of a 2-4 of their favorite brew while playing a game of shinny with friends...   :lol:

That kind of goaltending can deflate a team, and that is not what a team in the middle of a rebuild like the Flames needs...   I think the Flames realize the predicament the franchise got into regarding goaltending, and that is one of the reasons they took Mason McDonald with the 34th pick even though they are also lacking quality D prospects...

I will be grievously disappointed if the Flames go into the upcoming season with Joey Mac as their backup...   It would be bad enough if they retain him to play in Addy, and I hope that doesn't happen either...

Chad Johnson is the guy I'd like us to target. I know we've already publicly said that Ramo is the number one and we're looking for a back up but it would be far healthier to have another youngish goalie who can challenge for top spot. He is local and may fancy his chances of beating out Ramo so we could be in a decent negotiating position..

Chad Johnson is the guy I'd like us to target. I know we've already publicly said that Ramo is the number one and we're looking for a back up but it would be far healthier to have another youngish goalie who can challenge for top spot. He is local and may fancy his chances of beating out Ramo so we could be in a decent negotiating position..

Agreed. Him, Griess, and Montoya are the guys I want. I don't want an older vet like Hiller, Miller, Brodeur, etc.

Someone that has played enough games to know what is what but who is young enough to be part of the long term picture.

Agreed. Him, Griess, and Montoya are the guys I want. I don't want an older vet like Hiller, Miller, Brodeur, etc.

Someone that has played enough games to know what is what but who is young enough to be part of the long term picture.

I can see both sides of this and there are advantages to both but I think no my preference is not someone who could be part of a long term answer unless you don't believe in Ramo. I you believe in Ramo and push to resign him next year I think keeping a spot open behind I him for Ortio is a wise move. So even if they go the route of Greiss or Montoya for example I don't think I'd do longer then a 2 year deal.

.....I have to weigh in, and this won't be a popular post.

IMHO we don't need a backup. 

We have one in Ramo.

We need a starting goaltender.   A young starting goaltender that can carry us for the next 10 years.

Between Gillies and Ortio, odds are reasonable that we will have one.

Now we need to do something we're not used to, having lived through the Kipper era:

Play them.     (Ortios sharing minutes with Ramo, Gillies....I'd like to see him start for the Heat)

It may not be pretty.    But the reallity is that next year just isn't going to be pretty.   The more we develop them, the sooner we get where we need to be.

We have one in Ramo.

We need a starting goaltender.   A young starting goaltender that can carry us for the next 10 years.

Now we need to do something we're not used to, having lived through the Kipper era:

Play them.     (Ortios sharing minutes with Ramo, Gillies....I'd like to see him start for the Heat)

It may not be pretty.    But the reallity is that next year just isn't going to be pretty.   The more we develop them, the sooner we get where we need to be.

Gilles has already committed to another year of college so he isn't an option for the NHL next season.

Gilles has already committed to another year of college so he isn't an option for the NHL next season.

Has he?  I thought Burke had just speculated that they wouldn't sign him yet?  I didn't put too much stock into that because we have a new GM now and much has changed.

If he's committed, then I would say our hole should be on the Heat.  Ortio has played many years of AHL-level hockey already.

He needs to learn the NHL and he's ready, imho.

Why not just pick up a young guy to start for the Heat?  It's the one position where there's always ample undrafted talent.   Probably due to the longer development.

Melvin Nyffeler

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85309

Joachim Svenson

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=73407

[

Has he? I thought Burke had just speculated that they wouldn't sign him yet? I didn't put too much stock into that because we have a new GM now and much has changed.

If he's committed, then I would say our hole should be on the Heat. Ortio has played many years of AHL-level hockey already.

Why not just pick up a young guy to start for the Heat? It's the one position where there's always ample undrafted talent. Probably due to the longer development.

Melvin Nyffeler

Joachim Svenson

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Flames+prospect+Gillies+comfortable+with+decision+return+school+Providence+rather+than+turn/9702937/story.html?__federated=1

Ortio will go and start with the Heat and the flames also have a young goalie in Roy who is still worth developing. The only goalie that should come into the organization this offseason is a backup to Ramo.

I can see both sides of this and there are advantages to both but I think no my preference is not someone who could be part of a long term answer unless you don't believe in Ramo. I you believe in Ramo and push to resign him next year I think keeping a spot open behind I him for Ortio is a wise move. So even if they go the route of Greiss or Montoya for example I don't think I'd do longer then a 2 year deal.

I believe in Ramo. Mostly. That's a lot of eggs in a small basket.

Either way, I don't see an upside in getting an older vet. Hartley made some very questionable goalie decisions early last season. I would hate to see an older vet come in and get the majority of starts. I think that will happen if we bring on a Miller, Hiller, etc.

We don't need the controversy. I would rather have a younger player to keep it an even playing field. Also, even if that player gets the starts at least it is an investment in the future. Just not in Ramo.

We have one in Ramo.

We need a starting goaltender. A young starting goaltender that can carry us for the next 10 years.

Play them. (Ortios sharing minutes with Ramo, Gillies....I'd like to see him start for the Heat)

It may not be pretty. But the reallity is that next year just isn't going to be pretty. The more we develop them, the sooner we get where we need to be.

To start next season Ramo is the starting goalie for Calgary, Ortio is the starting goalie for the affiliate, and Gilles is staying in school. All confirmed by the Flames. The Flames need an NHL back up. I agree with that because I think Ramo earned it last season and I don't see any reason to rush Ortio. You don't, which is fair, but arguments to the contrary are moot.

[http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Flames+prospect+Gillies+comfortable+with+decision+return+school+Providence+rather+than+turn/9702937/story.html?__federated=1

Ortio will go and start with the Heat and the flames also have a young goalie in Roy who is still worth developing. The only goalie that should come into the organization this offseason is a backup to Ramo.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

The article doesn't mention Ortio, though.  Don' you think that will be a training camp decision?

Calgary's confirmed this?

Has he? I thought Burke had just speculated that they wouldn't sign him yet? I didn't put too much stock into that because we have a new GM now and much has changed.

If he's committed, then I would say our hole should be on the Heat. Ortio has played many years of AHL-level hockey already.

Why not just pick up a young guy to start for the Heat? It's the one position where there's always ample undrafted talent. Probably due to the longer development.

Melvin Nyffeler

Joachim Svenson

Ortio still needs time in the AHL, he has only played 47 games at the AHL level. He had a good year last year, now he has to show that he can do it again and take another step in his game.

In his games in Calgary he had a .891 sv%, that is not the sv% of an NHL caliber goalie. He will get there no need to rush him.

For Ortio the key will be getting into as many games as possible and backing up Ramo isn't the place to do it.

From what I have read it seems like Gillies may have taken a small step backwards last year, so hopefully another year in Providence will get him back on track. Again playing more regularly in Providence will be a better spot for him to develop than backing up Ortio in the AHL.

Ortio still needs time in the AHL, he has only played 47 games at the AHL level. He had a good year last year, now he has to show that he can do it again and take another step in his game.

In his games in Calgary he had a .891 sv%, that is not the sv% of an NHL caliber goalie. He will get there no need to rush him.

For Ortio the key will be getting into as many games as possible and backing up Ramo isn't the place to do it.

From what I have read it seems like Gillies may have taken a small step backwards last year, so hopefully another year in Providence will get him back on track. Again playing more regularly in Providence will be a better spot for him to develop than backing up Ortio in the AHL.

Gilles had a monster start but really cooled off at the end. He wasn't good at world's. Some of that may have been injury related.