s4xon

By that it looks like they've decided to move on from big Mac.  I'm glad they've decided to do so.

New backup from FA this year?

That would be my guess...   It's either that, or maybe a trade for a backup if there is someone specific they want that could be available by utilizing some spare parts the Flames would like to get rid of anyways...   But I would have to think the FA scenario is more likely...

I'd prefer to see Al Montoya (as a low cost option) or Jonas Hiller (if we need help to meet the cap floor) rather than MacDonald.

There were a few games where I would have preferred to have seen McDonald rather than MacDonald in the net...

26acda98c1956c6b396437eb8c950236.png

• 2 weeks later...

Calgary has decided to not renew the contract of goaltending coach Clint Malarchuk.

Is there a link somewhere?  I thought Clint was doing a pretty decent job, considering the talent he had to work with.  Any news on his replacement?

Calgary has decided to not renew the contract of goaltending coach Clint Malarchuk.

This is one of those"didnt see it coming but surprised it took this long" scenarios. Yes he did ok, but when you look at what other teams are getting from their tenders its apparent an upgrade was needed.

Just my own personal opinion but would like to see David Marcoux back, or even better get Sean Burke to follow Brad here from Phoenix. The latter obviously would depend on his current contract status.

I had read a ways back Burke was thinking of working more closely with Hockey Canada..so a Calgary move would benefit there..

Likely a pipedream..but will be interesting to see what direction BT goes there

Is there a link somewhere?  I thought Clint was doing a pretty decent job, considering the talent he had to work with.  Any news on his replacement?

He left in March for personal reasons, so it may be a mutual decision.

See link to Sun (last line in story):

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/30/flames-snapshots-calgary-club-gives-new-guy-time-to-adjust

This is one of those"didnt see it coming but surprised it took this long" scenarios. Yes he did ok, but when you look at what other teams are getting from their tenders its apparent an upgrade was needed.

Just my own personal opinion but would like to see David Marcoux back, or even better get Sean Burke to follow Brad here from Phoenix. The latter obviously would depend on his current contract status.

I had read a ways back Burke was thinking of working more closely with Hockey Canada..so a Calgary move would benefit there..

Likely a pipedream..but will be interesting to see what direction BT goes there

Not confirmed but I have heard rumours that Kipper wasn't a big fan of Marcoux's teachings. His high intensity way of doing things just didn't work for Kip who was known for being lazy in practice. I heard that Kipper wanted him out. Not sute how much truth is behind it but thats what I've heard

Keep in mind with Marcoux that the flames saw little or no improvement in their organizations goalies outside of kipper. Being a goalie coach has more to do with just developing the starter.

Keep in mind with Marcoux that the flames saw little or no improvement in their organizations goalies outside of kipper. Being a goalie coach has more to do with just developing the starter.

Been taking a look around and a great name we should target as our backup is JS Giguere. By signing Berra to a one way,3 yr 1.4 per, its obvious he likely wont be resigned. He made backup salary last year and likely will come cheap on a 1-2 yr. Hes a leader, a winner and would be a great mentor for Ramo and then Ortio. Hes not #1 caliber anymore but easily a 20-30 game quality backup.

For some reason I think he will fall off a lot of teams radars who are shopping this summer so I dont think he'd be hard to land.

Been taking a look around and a great name we should target as our backup is JS Giguere. By signing Berra to a one way,3 yr 1.4 per, its obvious he likely wont be resigned. He made backup salary last year and likely will come cheap on a 1-2 yr. Hes a leader, a winner and would be a great mentor for Ramo and then Ortio. Hes not #1 caliber anymore but easily a 20-30 game quality backup.

For some reason I think he will fall off a lot of teams radars who are shopping this summer so I dont think he'd be hard to land.

Signing Jiggy to anything more than a 1 year contract would signal that Ramo basically only has one year left as a Flame.  To be fair, I think Ramo could be the Flames starter from now until he is replaced by a #1 goalie.  If he works out this year, and Ortio is ready for 2015/16, then Ramo is extended and is the #1a goalie for the foreseeable future.

As far as Jiggy, I have fears of signing a 37 year old as a backup; he is more likely to be injured than a younger backup.  As well, shouldn't we always be looking to sign the best talent available and see if they can become a future #1?  Do you really want to bank on Ortio and then Gillies as the only shot for the Flames down the read? 

Signing Jiggy to anything more than a 1 year contract would signal that Ramo basically only has one year left as a Flame. To be fair, I think Ramo could be the Flames starter from now until he is replaced by a #1 goalie. If he works out this year, and Ortio is ready for 2015/16, then Ramo is extended and is the #1a goalie for the foreseeable future.

As far as Jiggy, I have fears of signing a 37 year old as a backup; he is more likely to be injured than a younger backup. As well, shouldn't we always be looking to sign the best talent available and see if they can become a future #1? Do you really want to bank on Ortio and then Gillies as the only shot for the Flames down the read?

I agree with the 1x yr deal, but I dont believe you bring Ortio or whoever up from the farm until they're #1 material. Burke has the right idea..let them play lots til they're ready.

Thats why I think JS is perfect. .quality guy, but no illusions of being #1 , and not just some cast off to play a few games a year. Basically a starter quality backup.

I can also see him going the route of Sean Burke and becoming a great goalie coach when hes done.so he could slide right into coaching our goalies right after. He was after all coached by the best himself, I just feel its the perfect choice

I agree with the 1x yr deal, but I dont believe you bring Ortio or whoever up from the farm until they're #1 material. Burke has the right idea..let them play lots til they're ready.

Thats why I think JS is perfect. .quality guy, but no illusions of being #1 , and not just some cast off to play a few games a year. Basically a starter quality backup.

I can also see him going the route of Sean Burke and becoming a great goalie coach when hes done.so he could slide right into coaching our goalies right after. He was after all coached by the best himself, I just feel its the perfect choice

Well, what I was getting at was there are probably better choices for a backup out there; Greiss, Montoya, etc.  Guys that could work themselves up from a backup to a #1b to a #1, or just be a 20-30 game backup with quality GAA sa SA%.  Guys that you could or would sign to a multi-year deal.

Limiting yourself to a Jiggy 1-year deal means you could end up next year with no Ramo, possibly no Ortio, and Gillies just starting his pro career in the AHL.  I agree that you don't bring Ortio up to sit on the bench for 70 games.  If he is ready to play in the NHL, he battles it out with the incumbent goalie (Ramo or 2014/15 backup) for #1 or 1a/1b.  Expecting Ortio to come in as a #1 goalie or bust is dangerous.

Giguere is retiring...

he said he is retiring….

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720756

Hiller would be a good fit with Ramo.

Shared duties unless one of them really steps up.

I would love Hiller. He's a solid 1B if Ramo goes down, or has a rough start.  His contract would help with hitting the cap floor.

I would love Hiller. He's a solid 1B if Ramo goes down, or has a rough start.  His contract would help with hitting the cap floor.

How much would Hiller cost?

Do you think that the Ducks brought his stock down by consistently not playing him in the playoffs? 

How much would you give him?

I'd go 3.5 for 3 years? Do a one year at 4?

How much would Hiller cost?

Do you think that the Ducks brought his stock down by consistently not playing him in the playoffs? 

How much would you give him?

I'd go 3.5 for 3 years? Do a one year at 4?

Well, seeing as the Flames are far from a playoff contender, I'd opt to sign him for a 2-3 year deal.  He's only 32 years old.  His previous cap hit was $4.5 with the Ducks.  His stock may have dropped as he was rubbed out by a rookie, but he's also going to be a UFA and one of the better goalies available (along with Miller).  There might be a fight for his services, including a team like Vancouver.

$ amount is hard to predict.  Ramo is getting $2.750 from his previously signed deal during Feaster's tenure.  Hiller is NHL proven, while Ramo has only a shared season under his belt. 

I'd probably opt to give Hiller $3.5 - 3.750 x 3 years or $4 x 2 years.  However, it may take the same $ amount ($4.5) or more to lure him to Calgary.

Well, seeing as the Flames are far from a playoff contender, I'd opt to sign him for a 2-3 year deal.  He's only 32 years old.  His previous cap hit was $4.5 with the Ducks.  His stock may have dropped as he was rubbed out by a rookie, but he's also going to be a UFA and one of the better goalies available (along with Miller).  There might be a fight for his services, including a team like Vancouver.

$ amount is hard to predict.  Ramo is getting $2.750 from his previously signed deal during Feaster's tenure.  Hiller is NHL proven, while Ramo has only a shared season under his belt. 

I'd probably opt to give Hiller $3.5 - 3.750 x 3 years or $4 x 2 years.  However, it may take the same $ amount ($4.5) or more to lure him to Calgary.

That would sound about right to me too. I could see the Canucks making a bid on him too. Although, with what they've had in goaltending lately, Miller could be there guy if he'd go to a Western Conf. team.