s4xon

Was looking at Abbotsford Roster today, noticed not a backup for Goalie Roy. Hope Roy does not get hurt.

Yeah, should be interesting to see what Wardo does for that team.  Things are getting really thin as is, and not just in net either.

I wonder if they pull another from Alaska, or if they borrow from the BCHL or something?  It looks as though the Aces only have one tender as well.  :wacko:

Was looking at Abbotsford Roster today, noticed not a backup for Goalie Roy. Hope Roy does not get hurt.

You'll be happy to know the Heat signed goalie Michael Bogdanovich on Wednesday to back up Roy.  I think he came from a beer hockey league or something. Pretty impressive stats putting up a 6.72 GAA and an 0.821 SV% in 17 GP.

2ec0a831466767e8e133bfe119531389.png

http://stats.adultrechockey.ca/c-langley/ashllangley/en/stats/player.php?id=27375

Seems hes gone already, Heat signed Aaron Dell again from the Utah Grizzlies

HEAT SIGN GOALTENDER AARON DELL
March 8, 2014 - 1:03 PM
efabf69c50a825c726d15fc27337db4c.300.jpg  

Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat announced today that they have signed goaltender Aaron Dell.

Dell, a native of Airdrie, Alberta has played in two games with the Heat this season registering a 0-1-0 record with a 1.39 GAA and a .929 save percentage. He made his first start in a Heat uniform on February 23rd, 2014 against Chicago in a 2-0 loss. In 23 games with the Utah Grizzlies (ECHL) this season, Dell has registered a 15-6-0 record with a 2.10 GAA and a .920 save percentage.

AARON DELL – GOALTENDER
BORN: Airdrie, Alberta DATE: May, 4 1989
HEIGHT: 6’0’ WEIGHT: 209 lbs. 
SHOOTS: Left

Anyone heard an updated eta on Ramo? Likely this carousel on the Heat is just til jmac goes back. As much as I do think its a bit too soon, seeing Ortio he reminds me a lot of kipper, if ortio keeps getting work he deserves to be here

Sounds like it's an MCL injury, so this could take a while...   The Flames will not rush him back in at this point and risk further complications with his knee down the road...

Looks like Ortio gets the start again tonight...

47cc0ae0b6c23fa8165c7c20629d2feb.png

• Like 1

Anyone heard an updated eta on Ramo? Likely this carousel on the Heat is just til jmac goes back. As much as I do think its a bit too soon, seeing Ortio he reminds me a lot of kipper, if ortio keeps getting work he deserves to be here

the only thing i've heard is he's not coming back until he's 100%... i wonder if he's going to even be back this season? time is running out... :( although he does need to be well so he can do his best :) what does everyone think? 

Well, I don't see calling Ortio up to the NHL this year as ideal.

But, if you're going to do it, play him.  And they've done that.

IMHO, he is Very close to NHL starter quality, but ultimately not there.

I'm not sure that he's getting any better development up here than starting for the Heat, but there is one Real advantage of all this:

Most likely a higher draft pick.

Not to knock Ortio at all....the kid's 22.   He'll be up to par soon enough if he keeps improving at the rate he is.

If the experiences moves us up a spot or two in the draft...

....so be it.

But, if you're going to do it, play him. And they've done that.

IMHO, he is Very close to NHL starter quality, but ultimately not there.

I'm not sure that he's getting any better development up here than starting for the Heat, but there is one Real advantage of all this:

Most likely a higher draft pick.

Not to knock Ortio at all....the kid's 22. He'll be up to par soon enough if he keeps improving at the rate he is.

If the experiences moves us up a spot or two in the draft...

....so be it.

Well he has outplayed, IMO, Berra and Ramo so if anythjng he is actually moving thd flames in the opposite direction then you indicate. Will his inexperience show at some point, that's bet likely but is say right now he is thd flames best goaltender.

I agree that it was not an ideal situation, but the only other option was Joey Mac, and I agree with the Flames decision not to play him instead, as his future is very limited (if there is one) in the NHL...

Ortio earned his shot, and has no doubt gained valuable experience from it...   and if we could ask him, I am sure he would answer that he has been (to quote a band from Western Canada back in the day) ``Lovin' Every Minute of It``...

It`s looking like Ramo will be back in about a week, Ortio can go back to the Heat and help them for the run, and then Ramo and Ortio can compete in training camp...

I agree that it was not an ideal situation, but the only other option was Joey Mac, and I agree with the Flames decision not to play him instead, as his future is very limited (if there is one) in the NHL...

Ortio earned his shot, and has no doubt gained valuable experience from it...   and if we could ask him, I am sure he would answer that he has been (to quote a band from Western Canada back in the day) ``Lovin' Every Minute of It``...

It`s looking like Ramo will be back in about a week, Ortio can go back to the Heat and help them for the run, and then Ramo and Ortio can compete in training camp...

That will be fun!!!   I can't wait.

Ramo is a weak starter at best, to be honest.  So whoever wins that battle next year is okay.  More than likely, split duties with the assumption (hope) that Ortio gradually assumes a true starter position as the season progresses.  

And if it takes two seasons, that's okay too.   The kid has 4 years to go before he's the same age Kipper was when he became a Flame.

That will be fun!!!   I can't wait.

Ramo is a weak starter at best, to be honest.  So whoever wins that battle next year is okay.  More than likely, split duties with the assumption (hope) that Ortio gradually assumes a true starter position as the season progresses.  

And if it takes two seasons, that's okay too.   The kid has 4 years to go before he's the same age Kipper was when he became a Flame.

That's a little presumptuous.  I challenge any starter in the NHL to maintain a better record than Ramo has with the team he has in front of him.  Ramo is an NHL caliber starter and a very good one at that.  He's come a long way from his earlier NHL days.  Put a St. Louis team, Anaheim, or a Chicago team in front of Ramo and he'd be a top 10 goalie in the league.

I know Ortio is your fave, but the fact is, is that both have a very similar style and are both excellent for the Flames going forward. 

Well he has outplayed, IMO, Berra and Ramo so if anythjng he is actually moving thd flames in the opposite direction then you indicate. Will his inexperience show at some point, that's bet likely but is say right now he is thd flames best goaltender.

It is also my opinion that considering the limited time he has played, Ortio has perhaps shown that he has the most potential to possibly become a bona fide starter...   He has poise that neither Ramo or Berra have shown with any consistency, and Joey Mac is not even in the conversation...

Ramo has shown some promise, but the jury is still out and needs more time to make the call...

Berra had flashes of brilliance, but those were outweighed by the brain fart moments...   As a prime example, the decisions that he made as to when to handle the puck behind the net, and the poor decisions he made of what to do with it while in a state of panic that all too often resulted in either a turnover or a goal are an indicator of one of the things that is very difficult to correct in a goaltender long before they reach that age...   Can that be remedied?...   Sure...   It's possible, and if it can, a mentor like Patrick Roy would be the guy to do it...   Perhaps that's what the Av's were hoping with the trade and why they the gave up a 2nd round pick...   Malarchuk is a decent goaltender coach, but I do not believe that he is one of the best...   and I think that is one of the coaching positions that the Flames should be keeping an eye open to make an upgrade...

That's a little presumptuous. 

Is it?  If so, most others on here are making the same presumption.

Ichallenge any starter in the NHL to maintain a better record than Ramo has with the team he has in front of him.  Ramo is an NHL caliber starter and a very good one at that.  He's come a long way from his earlier NHL days.  Put a St. Louis team, Anaheim, or a Chicago team in front of Ramo and he'd be a top 10 goalie in the league.

That's a lot presumptuous.  He has two more wins than Bera in the same number of games (29).  Hardly significant.  

The best winning percentage we have is with Joey Mac, 3 wins in 7 games.  Same team.

I know Ortio is your fave,

Goalies who are not too old for a rebuild are my fave.  That's Ortio, Gillies, and Roy.

but the fact is, is that both have a very similar style and are both excellent for the Flames going forward. 

Ramo will be well into his 30's, with bad knees, before we are a contender again, most likely.  We all hope it'll be sooner than that but we can't plan that way.  The reallity is we are still depleted and at the beginning of a rebuild.

If you believe that you build out from your goaltender...and I do...you don't build out from a goaltender in their late 20's.  

Ramo could be a good backup.  I think we could do better.

The best winning percentage we have is with Joey Mac, 3 wins in 7 games.  Same team.

It's not all about winning percentage. In fact, that's a pretty poor stat to use, especially in year 1 of a rebuild.  Last I checked, it takes a team in front of a goalie to win games.

By your logic, Ortio is as close to Mac as you can get in terms of wins/losses.  Same team. 

Ramo is 28, he'll be a tandem for at least 7 more years.  Gillies is anywhere from 3-6 years away from being a starter.  Better get used to it.

And building around Roy is laughable.  The kid is far from talented. 

It's not all about winning percentage. In fact, that's a pretty poor stat to use, especially in year 1 of a rebuild.  Last I checked, it takes a team in front of a goalie to win games.

By your logic, Ortio is as close to Mac as you can get in terms of wins/losses.  Same team. 

Ramo is 28, he'll be a tandem for at least 7 more years.  Gillies is anywhere from 3-6 years away from being a starter.  Better get used to it.

And building around Roy is laughable.  The kid is far from talented. 

Ramo will be traded away just like Berra was, Ramo is not our future, The fact Ortio is outplaying them at 22 is beyond me, He even got his 2nd assist last night.

I don't see Ramo lasting long here. And if he does its as a back-up.

I said it already, but people really need to cool down on Ortio.  He may end up being a decent NHL goalie.  It might even be soon. But we have a small sample size.  Further, the shot counts in his 6 games were relatively low, he hasn't let any PP goals in (some luck and something that pads the stats), and the team has scored 4 or more goals in all of his wins taking some of the pressure off of him. 

That isn't criticism.  Just a reality check.  People were really high on Berra early as well.  Probably more deservingly since he started with a 42 save performance against Chicago.  So far Ortio is looking good but it shouldn't surprise anyone if he falters and needs to go back to the AHL.  Maybe even for a couple of seasons. 

As for Ramo, not sure what anyone expects of him.  I still need to be sold before I label him as a legitimate NHL starter.  But he has NHL numbers on a poor team over a sustained level of time.  He generally looks good and rarely gives up weak goals.  He has given us no reason to write him off so I don't know why some here have.  

Ramo refused to come to North America to back-up Miikka Kiprusoff.  He will not stay in North America to back-up Joni Ortio.  I feel Ramo will want out soon enough.  I'm okay going with Ortio/MacBackup combo.  The way Ortio is playing, this is going to be a short rebuild.  With the right moves this summer, the Flames can probably contend for 8th seed next season.

I said it already, but people really need to cool down on Ortio.  He may end up being a decent NHL goalie.  It might even be soon. But we have a small sample size.  Further, the shot counts in his 6 games were relatively low, he hasn't let any PP goals in (some luck and something that pads the stats), and the team has scored 4 or more goals in all of his wins taking some of the pressure off of him. 

That isn't criticism.  Just a reality check.  People were really high on Berra early as well.  Probably more deservingly since he started with a 42 save performance against Chicago.  So far Ortio is looking good but it shouldn't surprise anyone if he falters and needs to go back to the AHL.  Maybe even for a couple of seasons. 

As for Ramo, not sure what anyone expects of him.  I still need to be sold before I label him as a legitimate NHL starter.  But he has NHL numbers on a poor team over a sustained level of time.  He generally looks good and rarely gives up weak goals.  He has given us no reason to write him off so I don't know why some here have.  

He's been destroying it in the AHL, and yes I understand its not the NHL, but compared to Berra its embarrassing the numbers he's put up. As People1 said If Ramo is only going to stick around to be a starter he needs to beat out Ortio for next year, and if he cant handle being a back-up and fighting for the starter position well than cya later.

I assume Ortio goes back to the AHL to finish off the season/play-offs after Ramo gets back, with Jmac backing up Ramo.

Ramo refused to come to North America to back-up Miikka Kiprusoff.  He will not stay in North America to back-up Joni Ortio.  I feel Ramo will want out soon enough.  I'm okay going with Ortio/MacBackup combo.  The way Ortio is playing, this is going to be a short rebuild.  With the right moves this summer, the Flames can probably contend for 8th seed next season.

Didn't he fulfill his contract in the KHL? Isn't that why he didn't come over? I don't think it was because of Kipper.