s4xon

Flames are 2nd last in team save percentage and I have no idea why we should feel good about having the 2nd worst save percentage and the 5th worst GAA, that to me screams you don't have NHL calibre goaltending.

Actually I feel very differently about Ortio because age absolutely matter. Thinking that 7 years of pro experience, regardless of the league, doesn't play a factor is ridiculous to me but whatever. It has a huge impact.

Which is why this debate is moot. Burke isn't going to let us go into next season with the same tandem. Personally I doubt Berra gets an NHL contract after this season.

I may be wrong. Maybe they aren't sold on Ramo or Ortio. But I really doubt we see two of Ortio, Ramo, and Berra in the NHL to start next season.

Flames are 2nd last in team save percentage and I have no idea why we should feel good about having the 2nd worst save percentage and the 5th worst GAA, that to me screams you don't have NHL calibre goaltending.

Actually I feel very differently about Ortio because age absolutely matter. Thinking that 7 years of pro experience, regardless of the league, doesn't play a factor is ridiculous to me but whatever. It has a huge impact.

exactly.

Which is why this debate is moot. Burke isn't going to let us go into next season with the same tandem. Personally I doubt Berra gets an NHL contract after this season.

I may be wrong. Maybe they aren't sold on Ramo or Ortio. But I really doubt we see two of Ortio, Ramo, and Berra in the NHL to start next season.

exactly.

There will always be the arguement that our defense isn't good enough either.  And, this is true.  But both are true.  We need upgrades in goal, as well as defense.  Probably moreso at defense.   The fact that Both are true, does not make either one of them Untrue, though.  We clearly need upgrades at both positions.

Ortio is young enough that he has the potential to be that upgrade in net.  At 22 years of age, he can already hold his own in the NHL (with some question marks of course), and dominate at the AHL level.   If he continues to raise the level of his game, and we have every reason to think he will...the next step is clearly going to be an upgrade for us with the Flames.

Outside of Ortio, I see no other succession plan in place for next year.  Not at the NHL level.  Gillies could take over for Ortio with the Heat, but even that is up in the air.  Now, even if Ortio takes the reigns with the Flames next year, we probably won't know if he's an NHL starter or an NHL back up until roughly 2016.   At which point we may or may not have Gillies as an alternative.

In other words, we're far from out of the woods.  Not that it matters, because imho, our biggest problem for Burke to focus on is actually defense.

*side note...currently the Heat are playing JMac, and Ortio is being benched as a backup with the Flames.   This tells me that the Flames value Ortio higher, yet also confirms that they are Still brain dead when it comes to goalie development.  Which is unfortunate, when you consider how much is riding on the success of Ortio's development.  Gillies has not had the year many hoped he would.  Brossoit was dealt away...largely because the Flames felt they "had it in the bag" with Gillies.  Not that the Flames incompetence here bothers me.  At all.   

You guys hammering on the goalies are forgetting we had a completely crap defence in front of them for most of the beginning of the season. Gio was hurt, we didn't have Laddy and Butler was playing like.. well Butler. Since December, our defence have picked it up and so have our tenders. 

As far as our position in 26th in the league, was there ever any doubt? Calgary has played in 35 one goal games this year.

That is one goal difference between winning and losing. 

We weren't that good with Kipper, Iggy and Jbow. Still missed the playoffs remember?

Any team that gives up 3 of it's core including it's franchise tender, franchise forward and arguably it's best dman are going to suck.

However, we are playing better than anyone has the right to expect, including our 2 tenders who by all accounts at the beginning of the season were going to be pylons incapable of stopping a beach ball.

Give them some credit. They earned it.

• Like 1

Marc-Andre Fleury's stats in his first 2 seasons in the NHL

2003-2004 PENGUINS 21 4 14 2 - 1 70 675 .896 3.64 1,154 2005-2006 PENGUINS 50 13 27 - 6 1 152 1,485 .898 3.25 2,809

Both seasons under .900 save % so I guess he is not a NHL caliber goalie either. Yes Berra has let in his fair share of weak goals but he also has made his fair share of amazing saves that should have went in. Every goalie in this league or any league let's in weak goals. His save % is barely under .900 and even at his age he is still a rookie to NA hockey some European goalies can come right over and thrive and some take a little longer. Say what you will about Calgary's goal tending but coming into this year everybody thought that it was terrible and that we were going to be the laughing stock of the league but Ramo and Berra have proven they are capable of keeping games close and giving us a chance.    

My problem is comparing any goalie to MAF as if he's a great goalie.

Gonna miss Berra, but on the bright side, when Ramo gets back he should be #1 :) so it's kinda bittersweet for me... although taking all things into account not sure if Berra would have been re-signed or not in any case. 

yes confirmed, they still do not know what draft pick is coming back.. BB supposed to be on Fan960 shortly, we might find out then if not announced before.

Amazing that we get a 2nd for a goalie many expected not to be re-signed this year.  I'm ok with a Ramo (once he's back) MacBackup for the rest of the year, since we aren't going anywhere this year anyway.  Just don't re-up MacBackup again.

I have heard the same thing from many Pittsburgh fans!

Do you think that Fleury was one of those goalies who benefited from the equipment before the new regulations were put in place? First it was shoulder pad regulations, then goalie pads... He has sucked for awhile, it is unbelievable the Pens still have faith in him...

?

Any word yet on whether we're dealing with Ortio or JMac staying up?

My vote is definitely JMac as the backup, and it looks like others feel this way.  Strictly for more consistent and complete development for Ortio, including the Heat's playoff run.

However, I have this horrible feelling that they will call Ortio up and bench him for the rest of the year.  Which would suck, because what's the point of acquiring a 2nd round pick if you need to ruin the development of a top prospect to do it?  But I'll save my whining and bantering...until we know more.

Any word yet on whether we're dealing with Ortio or JMac staying up?

My vote is definitely JMac as the backup, and it looks like others feel this way.  Strictly for more consistent and complete development for Ortio, including the Heat's playoff run.

However, I have this horrible feelling that they will call Ortio up and bench him for the rest of the year.  Which would suck, because what's the point of acquiring a 2nd round pick if you need to ruin the development of a top prospect to do it?  But I'll save my whining and bantering...until we know more.

In his presses Burke said they want to give Ortio a shot provide he plays. Plan right now it let Ortio play some and sounded a big like they may even play him a bit more then Ramo. If it doesn't work out they'll send him back down so he can play. Burke was very specific he wants Ortio to play but whether that's in the NHL or AHL is remaind to be seen based on ortios play.