s4xon

Schedule each goalie for two starts.  If the goalie earns it throw a third.  Otherwise rotate.  No more crazy rotations like we saw in November.  Not unless a goalie is lights out.  That isn't good for either goalie.  

That is obvious advise straight out of the coaches for dummies guidebook.  Unfortunately Hartley and company have been trying to make 1 and 1 equal 3.

With both goalies coming off good games (Ramo 3 games 4 GA, Berra 1 game 1 GA) who do you think Hartley will go with? Does he apply his rule about giving a goalie a string of starts (11 of 12 for Berra), or does he go with the "hot" hand (Berra - 1 win).

I noticed in the video where Berra was talking about one of his new masks, that he mentioned that the team told him he was a Calgary player and it was time to get rid of the Flames/Heat mask. Ramo also got a new mask, so it kind of seems like they will be the ones tending net till the end of the year. 

I have a hard time seeing MacDonald ever playing in Calgary again, unless there is a prolonged injury to one of Ramo or Berra. If it is a game or two I could see Ortio called up just to be given a taste of the big leagues and reward him for good play in Abbotsford.

With both goalies coming off good games (Ramo 3 games 4 GA, Berra 1 game 1 GA) who do you think Hartley will go with? Does he apply his rule about giving a goalie a string of starts (11 of 12 for Berra), or does he go with the "hot" hand (Berra - 1 win).

Go with Berra, but as I mentioned above, shorten the strings. Ramo was starting to fade in his, just as Berra was part way through his last. 3, 4 games then back to Ramo

Schedule each goalie for two starts.  If the goalie earns it throw a third.  Otherwise rotate.  No more crazy rotations like we saw in November.  Not unless a goalie is lights out.  That isn't good for either goalie.  

That is obvious advise straight out of the coaches for dummies guidebook.  Unfortunately Hartley and company have been trying to make 1 and 1 equal 3.  

Out of the last 4 games both goalies have earned 3x 1st stars.

Combined in those 4 games they have avg:

Kings -1 goal allowed

Yotes -1 goal allowed

Avs -3 goals allowed

Oilers -1 goal allowed

Do you really expect them to improve much more??? Not sure what you expect more from Hartley on it. I'll take that type of goaltending anyday of the week. 

With Ramo and Berra, their games of late have improved drastically as has the team in front of them in defensive coverage.

If Ramo doesn't give up that muffin in the Av's game it could have been a different story. With the positive progression of Ramo, Berra and Ortio we could have a great tandem, much like LA has or had. Our goaltending situation is looking brighter and brighter every game.

Kings -1 goal allowed

Yotes -1 goal allowed

Avs -3 goals allowed

Oilers -1 goal allowed

Do you really expect them to improve much more??? Not sure what you expect more from Hartley on it. I'll take that type of goaltending anyday of the week. 

Looks like Berra gets the start against the Briuns.  "Hot" hand wins out over playing Ramo for a stretch.  The problem I have with Berra is he will look ok-to-good for a game then get blown out in the next.  Ramo played well in his last 3 games, apart from a miscue behind the net.

With Ramo and Berra, their games of late have improved drastically as has the team in front of them in defensive coverage.

If Ramo doesn't give up that muffin in the Av's game it could have been a different story. With the positive progression of Ramo, Berra and Ortio we could have a great tandem, much like LA has or had. Our goaltending situation is looking brighter and brighter every game.

I have been saying for some time I think Gilles will end up being our best of all the prospects. He certainly made huge strides in that direction this season and ahead of any curve I could have set for him.

Kings -1 goal allowed

Yotes -1 goal allowed

Avs -3 goals allowed

Oilers -1 goal allowed

The strange thing about Flames goaltending is that only Ramo and JoeyMac have won two games in a row.  Berra gets a win and follows it up with a loss (or 3).  Berra played really good against the Oilers, but was helped out by the post on more than one occasion.  Against the Bruins, he faced few shots through the first two periods, then managed to give up the go-ahead goal in the usual fashion (between his body and the post). The defense was bad in the third period and it looked like the offense was shut down, but the goalie has to make that one save at least. 

I don't mind the concept of going with the hot hand, but with Berra, there is only a one game hot hand.  He plays good for 2 out of 3 periods, but tends to give up multiple goals in short periods of time. 

I think it is funny that lots of people are jumping on Berra blaming him for the loss last night. Sure the go ahead goal was kind of crappy, but 1 goal is not enough run production to beat the Bruins.

Berra is still learning at the NHL level but keeping the Bruins to 2 goals is doing a pretty good job.

The team in front of Berra let him down last night.

Ramo gets the start next game.

I feel like the goalies are learning how to play in the NHL and deserve some leeway. They're basically playing them knowing they're going to make these mistakes much like they know players like Brodie, Monahan and Colburne are going to make mistakes learning to play the NHL game in the NHL.

And it is obvious the team makes mistakes, I know goalies are suppose to stop some, but losing 2-1, we only got 1 goal and that more times than not isn't going to cut it. One more goal and they're at least in overtime or in the shoot out.

I think it is funny that lots of people are jumping on Berra blaming him for the loss last night. Sure the go ahead goal was kind of crappy, but 1 goal is not enough run production to beat the Bruins.

Berra is still learning at the NHL level but keeping the Bruins to 2 goals is doing a pretty good job.

The team in front of Berra let him down last night.

Ramo gets the start next game.

My point was not blaming Berra for the loss.  You can't win many games 1-0.  Calgary had Boston on the ropes for much of the first two periods.  The team sat back and let Boston build momentum.  Colborne trying to do a simple flip turned into a penalty.  Brodie left way too much of a gap on the go-ahead goal.  A lot of small things that mean nothing if the Flames have scored more than one goal. 

But, Berra absolutely has to make that save to give the team any kind of chance, that late in the game.  He has let in similar goals before.  The book on him would be to shoot high glove side, between his body and the post.  He has to know that, and change that one part of his game at the minimum.

I have stated this as well in another post. It seems every game he lets in that particular type of goal. In the Boston game, the goal scorer had no where to go, Broide had him cut off

My point was not blaming Berra for the loss.  You can't win many games 1-0.  Calgary had Boston on the ropes for much of the first two periods.  The team sat back and let Boston build momentum.  Colborne trying to do a simple flip turned into a penalty.  Brodie left way too much of a gap on the go-ahead goal.  A lot of small things that mean nothing if the Flames have scored more than one goal. 

But, Berra absolutely has to make that save to give the team any kind of chance, that late in the game.  He has let in similar goals before.  The book on him would be to shoot high glove side, between his body and the post.  He has to know that, and change that one part of his game at the minimum.

Starting to look that way.  Though ever since Hartley has started a decent rotation both goalies have been pretty solid.  

I agree.  Kerr also mentioned on the broadcast last night that Malarkie Malarchuk has been working with both Ramo and Berra on being over-aggressive.  Although they both look like they're learning this lesson, Ramo appears to be learning it better (and more quickly) than Berra.

Berra continues to make rookie mistakes and allows goals that are completely unacceptable in NHL. The 2nd Boston goal was prime example how can you let goal in from that angel?

Ramo hasn't made many rookie mistakes and is very calm in the net. My fav performance from him is the Chicago game he flew the night before, 1st NHL game and against the former Champs yet he came out big and calm.

Berra continues to make rookie mistakes and allows goals that are completely unacceptable in NHL. The 2nd Boston goal was prime example how can you let goal in from that angel?

Ramo hasn't made many rookie mistakes and is very calm in the net. My fav performance from him is the Chicago game he flew the night before, 1st NHL game and against the former Champs yet he came out big and calm.

Berra was the one playing in that Chicago game.

• Like 1