s4xon

You're right, it was just one time:

RobFordCrackHouse.jpg

(if you don't count the pre-season,or his AHL record, or his play last year for Biel, because it was his team's fault he didn't do that well in Europe)

Your right. if the flames don't cut him tomorrow they are waiting far to long. there has never before been a goaltender who did not play in the NHL until he was 26 who had any success. Especially if he was playing in Europe.

7947d1360122881-2012-2013-gear-sightings

nor has there ever been a goalie who's career start was anything but storybook who ever became someone. especially when they play behind a team that has terrible D.

reims.jpg

Further, after one bad game, he cannot possibly become anything good. there is absolutely no way that if the flames give up on him today it could ever come back to bite them.

9e98f64f15708917fe6d129174aa.jpg

by no means am I saying he will become any of those players. However if you can legitimately be making the predictions you are you really are doing the world a disservice by focusing your attention on how the flames are mismanaging life.

• Like 1

point taken...

I will say, I have pulled the "Martin St Louis card" more than once on these forums to prove a point.

I've never tried it on a goaltender forum, lol :)

I'm not suggesting that the Flames dump or cut him.  But Berra's in the back seat now.

Ramo and Berra should both get their fair chance.

I'm not complaining, as long as the Flame's legimate goaltending prospects get games this year.

Could Reto turn out to be a star?

Sure he could.  As could almost any NHL or European goaltender under 30.

Listening to the call-ins on Fan 960 no one is hanging Berra out to dry tonight. In fact many are making a point of saying he shouldn't be blamed at all for the score tonight.

Personally I have made no decisions one way or the other but during the 2nd intermission Wes Walz(Former flame/Minny etc and played overseas) was the interview. He said to pass on a message to the Calgary Fans.

It went like this:

I had not heard of Reto Berra before so when Calgary picked him up I had to ask around overseas about him. Tonight was apparently the first night he had a chance to see him play. He said don't worry Flames Fans this is your #1 Goaltender you are searching for. High praise from someone paid to help make judgements on players like this.

I won't go as far as to say he will be our starter or Kipper replacement it is way too soon for that, but I really like what I see. I don't go heavy into the stats like JJ does, and I don't get to see the Heat games much live. I have watched him a bit on some feeds this website does not want whispered around. He has good fundamentals from what I can see.

I'll side with C_W's comment to let it play out. A lot more than 2 games please. Isn't this season what we have the full 82 games to find out which of the 3 goalies in the running who are qualified or not?

Just watched the game

Cannot blame Berra for this loss.

Possibly the 3rd goal being should have been saved but the rest he had little chance on.

Impressed with his calmness and for a big goalie he does not seem to flop around.  Also when he stick handles I do not feel the panic that I do with Jmac or Ramo.

Agreed, Berra did fine and gave the Flames a chance to win the game till the team gave up on him. There were a number of robberies he performed last night and his stick also helped the d from scrambles out front. But because he is such a large body it's the D job to make sure they clear the garbage. So many times allowing minny to easily pick up rebounds without tying up the man. But I also agree Ramo deserves the next start now and to show what he has again and let Berra watch. But in no way was that loss Berras fault and I'm confident his next start will be a good game for him again.

I agree he deserves far more than 2 games.   I don't agree he's earned number-one starter, I think he's behind the 8-ball right now, is all.

Meanwhile, on a positive note:  Ortio wins his 4th game in a row with the Heat and is First Star of the game.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1011256

At this early stage, he is essentially neck and neck with Jon Gibson for best goaltender in the AHL, and Rookie of the Year:

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&season_id=43&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

The only other player in the picture, interestingly, is John Muse, an undrafted free agent, younger than Ramo or Berra, who---if we didn't have such a massive goaltender backlog, I would say we should look at.   He had a horrible year last year, but his track record is otherwise of NHL-calibre prospect material.  

So, let's give Ramo and Berra their due time, but hopefully nobody gets too attached.  We have 3 different prospects looking far more promising right now, one of which may be knocking on the door by the end of the season (Ortio).  And there are far more impressive veterans and prospects available on the open market.

I believe in our system is a goalie that will be our number one for years. We just got spoiled by Kipper being such a amazing net minder. Unfortunately the team couldn't get him the wins to establish himself as top 3 in stats but anyone who got to watch kipper got to see a special net minder who would make saves he had no business making. *cheers to kipper*

I'm good with Berra, his foundation is solid always square to the shooters, glove up, has good side to side to side movement, may not be the next Kipper but, he will do just fine.  I think he'll be above the likes of Vernon, Turek, Kidd and others we had in the past.

Having said this, he should only get better, if he can be leaned on for 50-60 games per season should allow us to phase in the likes of Ortio and later Gilles.  A little less throw them to the wolves and pray for the best in net is needed and hopefully Berra can provide this.  Also, I do hope this pushes Ramo to be a bit more consistent too.

All in all Berra gets a pass grade for now and if he keeps this up. should be an above average NHL starter.

I think he'll be above the likes of Vernon, Turek, Kidd and others we had in the past.

As in, he's a Flame goaltender and not Kipper?  :)

This is my first time seeing Vernon, Turek, and Kidd grouped together, lol :)

To be just a bit more specific, out of these three I would place Berra with Turek, IF he continues to play like he did in his first NHL game.   His window right now is somewhere between forgettable, and a goalie that provides us a chance to win most games, until one of our prospects takes the reigns and brings us back to having a true starter.  (likely Ortio or Gillies, or both, in that order).

That would be Turek, and I'd be extremely happy with that outcome although I'm not expecting it.

the Kidd comparison...sure.

Vernon....as far as I'm concerned, is neck and neck with Kipper, but in a different era.  Less flash, more success.  I don't expect that from Berra, although anything's possible.  Maybe from Ortio, or Gillies, or one day Brossoit. 

No way can you blame Berra for that game.

He was solid again and was consistently square to the puck again.

Unfortunately there were a few defensive breakdowns and the Wild made some really good plays

Give them credit and move on.

Berra will get the start in St Louis and he deserves it.

On a more general note...

Berra is playing well for us at the moment.

Ortio is playing really well in Abbottsford

Brossoit is playing really well in Alaska (though it sounds like their team is pretty dominant, so hard to gauge)

And Gillies is insanely good in Providence

If we can get Ramo going, things would be pretty good.

On a more general note...

Berra is playing well for us at the moment.

Ortio is playing really well in Abbottsford

Brossoit is playing really well in Alaska (though it sounds like their team is pretty dominant, so hard to gauge)

And Gillies is insanely good in Providence

If we can get Ramo going, things would be pretty good.

That was actually a really good general note, C_worthy!

Yes, we couldn't really ask any more from our three top G prospects.  Let's hope all three continue to be starters and are allowed to Continue doing what they're doing, as it's clearly working.

-On Berra....we'll see....lol.  I can at least play along and hope for the best.

ANCHORAGE, AK -- The Alaska Aces announced in conjunction with the ECHL that Aces goaltender Laurent Brossoit has been named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week for the week of Oct. 28-Nov. 2.

Brossoit, 20, went 2-0-0 with two shutouts last week, helping guide the Aces to a three-game sweep of Bakersfield as the club improved to 7-1-0 on the season.

Brossoit made his Aces’ debut late in a 6-3 win last Friday, stopping all eight shots he faced in six minutes of action. In his first start on Saturday, he turned aside all 16 shots he faced in a 5-0 win and on Sunday, made 16 more saves in a 4-0 victory.

He joins J.P. Lamoureux (2009 Kelly Cup Playoffs vs. Utah) as the only two Aces goaltenders to record back-to-back shutouts in ECHL play and is the first goaltender in Aces history to accomplish the feat in the ECHL regular season.

I don't mean to cause a scrum here, but based on how things are going with Berra he could be playing himself out of the NHL in a hurry.

I'm not saying it's this second, and I agree he deserves more games.  But that's the direction I think things are going.

Sorry guys.

Moving on, I Absolutely want him to continue to get more games in , because Ortio, meanwhile, is establishing himself as a starter in the AHL.   I don't want them to sent Reto down as the AHL starter.  He should be AHL backup to Ortio, and JMac comes back up with the Flames.    

I'm getting ahead of myself and I don't want to create a scrum, but it seems pretty clear that, in summation:

We don't have an NHL starter this year.

JMac may be the closest thing we have to it, with Ramo a close second.

Berra, at this stage, doesn't look like NHL material other than his first game.   

Ramo's not going anywhere, with his contract.  And neither JMac or Berra have made compelling reasons to bump him out either.

Our best goaltender right now?    I don't know.   What makes a better sofa:  Cactus, Sea Urchins, or Porcupine skin?

Our best goaltender by end of season?  At the rate he's developing, Ortio.

Do we call Ortio up?  No.  We don't.  We'll ruin him (which pretty much means we'll do it).

Ortio should stay as the Heat's starter all year.     NHL callups next year.

Brossoit shoud stay as the Ace's starter all year.    AHL shot next year.

Ramo, Berra,JMac can continue battling whatever it is that they're battling for, Completely separate from our development streams (please, please).   Let's keep our development and this unfolding "starting goaltender" disaster completely separate.

if we can manage that, we'll likely have NHL calibre goaltending from Ortio as early as next year, and then Gillies the year after.

That's when the Real battle happens.

I don't mean to cause a scrum here, but based on how things are going with Berra he could be playing himself out of the NHL in a hurry.

I'm not saying it's this second, and I agree he deserves more games.  But that's the direction I think things are going.

Sorry guys.

I don't know what you watch but Berra has been great and continues to solidify his position with each start.

He kept them in it tonight.

It's only been 3 games - not much to go on - but right now he is the clear front-runner.

• Like 2

Hey there  JJgallow i have a honest question for you.  Look at these stats and tell me if this is a 26 year old goalie you would want to develop on your team? I removed the data of who he played for and when. Cause we all know how much into stats you are. 

DEC     GA     SA     SV     sv%         TOI     

L            6       15      9       .600         39:50

L            4        21     17     .810         59:46

L            3         21     18    .857         38;00

W           1        21     20     .952         59;58

w            4        24     20     .833         60;00

L            5        27     22     .815         58;52

1         3       2     .667         26;41

L             2        29     27    ,931         62;24

5        14      9     .643         35;40

3         11      8     .727         40;00

W           0         29     29   1.000        60;00

L            3         34     31     .912        63;49

L            5         36     31     .861        64;28

L            1         28     27     .964        58;46

W           2         25     23     .920        59;29

L           3           24    21      .875        59.32

L           2          37     35      .946        59;04

W          3          36    33       .917        63;58

L           3          24    21       .875        59;58

L           4          28    24       .857        59;02

L           3          30    27       .900        62;04

L           2          20    18       .900        47;43

I don't know what you watch but Berra has been great and continues to solidify his position with each start.

It's only been 3 games - not much to go on - but right now he is the clear front-runner.

ok, fair enough.  was just my opinion

Hey there  JJgallow i have a honest question for you.  Look at these stats and tell me if this is a 26 year old goalie you would want to develop on your team? I removed the data of who he played for and when. Cause we all know how much into stats you are. 

DEC     GA     SA     SV     sv%         TOI     

L            6       15      9       .600         39:50

L            4        21     17     .810         59:46

L            3         21     18    .857         38;00

W           1        21     20     .952         59;58

w            4        24     20     .833         60;00

L            5        27     22     .815         58;52

1         3       2     .667         26;41

L             2        29     27    ,931         62;24

5        14      9     .643         35;40

3         11      8     .727         40;00

W           0         29     29   1.000        60;00

L            3         34     31     .912        63;49

L            5         36     31     .861        64;28

L            1         28     27     .964        58;46

W           2         25     23     .920        59;29

L           3           24    21      .875        59.32

L           2          37     35      .946        59;04

W          3          36    33       .917        63;58

L           3          24    21       .875        59;58

L           4          28    24       .857        59;02

L           3          30    27       .900        62;04

L           2          20    18       .900        47;43

─────╔╗────╔╗──╔╗╔╗──────╔═╗

─────║║───╔╝╚╗╔╝╚╣║──────║╔╝

╔╗╔╗╔╣╚═╦═╩╗╔╝╚╗╔╣╚═╦══╗╔╝╚╗

║╚╝╚╝║╔╗║╔╗║║──║║║╔╗║║═╣╚╗╔╝

╚╗╔╗╔╣║║║╔╗║╚╗─║╚╣║║║║═╣─║║─╔╗╔╗╔╗

─╚╝╚╝╚╝╚╩╝╚╩═╝─╚═╩╝╚╩══╝─╚╝─╚╝╚╝╚╝

ok, fair enough.  was just my opinion

So which is it  do you like Berra or not. The stats i listed where from a goalie that was 26 and had a little more NHL experience at the time.  His name was Mikka  year 2002-2003.   My point is stop being so negative after each game. If you dislike something fine. But to say that Berra is going to play himself out of the NHL after three games.  Give the guy a chance like we did with Mikka. Then you will know what you have.

Tell me what goals tonight he should have made the save on?

• Like 1

So which is it  do you like Berra or not. The stats i listed where from a goalie that was 26 and had a little more NHL experience at the time.  His name was Mikka  year 2002-2003.   My point is stop being so negative after each game. If you dislike something fine. But to say that Berra is going to play himself out of the NHL after three games.  Give the guy a chance like we did with Mikka. Then you will know what you have.

Tell me what goals tonight he should have made the save on?

Gotta go to work, but Reto ain't Kipper.   Kipper's worst year isn't what attracted us to him.  It's what made him available so Sutter could acquire him.  Kipper had stellar stats every single year prior, going back a decade.

Reto has never had good stats, and his performance so far this year in the NHL is just a continuation of that.   

There is No comparison.

Yup. Clear. Like by miles. And it's not just Berra, but how the team plays in front of him. If we had Gio back in the lineup like Ramo had the advantage of, the stats wouldn't even be in the same ballpark.

Reto has never had good stats, and his performance so far this year in the NHL is just a continuation of that.   

A continuation of shuting out the Americans (30 saves) in the semi-finals of the WHC?

And who posted by far the best Sv% and GAA of the 2013 WHC? A guy named Reto Berra (that's ahead of Mike Smith, Enroth, Pavaelc, Dubnyk, Gibson, Markstrom, etc., etc.)

And a guy at 24 who posted the 4th best Sv% on a defensively weak NL-A team?

Yeah, the stats from his early twenties aren't great, but he has proven he can play with the big boys on a few occassions. And the trend is positive. Which is encouraging.