Michael Ferland

Not much to say in regards to the Flames, so may as well mention Ferland.

Started the year in Utah, and worked his way to the Heat, only to get sent down to junior. And traded after just two games with the WheatKings! Now it seems he has found a home with the Saskatoon Blades.

Ferland had 3 assists last night, and is riding an 8 game point streak of 18 points. (6G,12A)

The Blades are red hot winning 8 in a row, and have near NHL attendance numbers at games. Almost 13,000 last night, They host the Memorial Cup this year as well...

Could be interesting! Go Ferland!

Started the year in Utah, and worked his way to the Heat, only to get sent down to junior. And traded after just two games with the WheatKings! Now it seems he has found a home with the Saskatoon Blades.

Ferland had 3 assists last night, and is riding an 8 game point streak of 18 points. (6G,12A)

The Blades are red hot winning 8 in a row, and have near NHL attendance numbers at games. Almost 13,000 last night, They host the Memorial Cup this year as well...

I think he is in a good place. He is on a team where he will get lots of icetime.

He wasn't going to get that with the Heat. It wasn't a demotion to the Wheatkings it was a development decision. Saskatoon offers some post season play for him and they really needed a player of his abilities. 9-1-0-0

<Insert really good fit> and should be worth keeping track of him.

Really good fit.

He'll be in the AHL next year, and he'll have a whole lot more experience behind him.

I think what we'd all like is to see if he can translate some of his offensive skills to the AHL level.

That won't happen on the fourth line with minutes. But it could happen next year.

And just to be clear:

-Ferland asked to be sent back to the WHL.

-He knew Brandon would trade him to a contender.

-He still needs time to increase muscle mass.

He also needs to dedicate himself alot more to offseason work ethic. this has nothing to do with his "incident" either he just is not known for showing up in camp in the best of shape...

NO question the dub is where he should be but the Flames need alot more out of Ferland to have him keep moving up.

• 3 months later...

http://www.wheatkings.com/video/index/id/bfa8d9e0b6e5514992729422d1932848

I love this highlight reel.

url="http://flamesnation.ca/2013/5/10/flames-top-15-prospects-2013-14-michael-ferland"]http://flamesnation.ca/2013/5/10/flames-top-15-prospects-2013-14-michael-ferland[/url]

This link/site makes it sound likes he couldn't handle the ahl at all. He had a good first game in the memorial cup this year and has decent numbers - although an overager. Hope to see him grow up and make flames some day.

After watching the memorial cup, I would say he has to lose weight or work on skating - he looked alot more explosive with the wheat kings. He had a few big hits, and took a couple bad penalties. Seemed like he was a few steps behind offensively, although he did look good in spurts creating a few scoring chances.

• 6 months later...

Ferland seems to be finding his AHL game now.

After starting the season being held off the score sheet in his 1st 11 GP, Ferland has added 13 pts (5G,8A) in his last 9 GP.

Had a Gordie Howe hat trick last night in a 3-2 loss to Utica. The Heat were down 3-0 before he fought. Then he added a goal and an assist to cue the come back. The Heat outshot Utica 37-17, so it seems like a game of goaltending.

Either way, nice to see Ferland stepping it up!

Yep, I was at that game. It was packed right in. It set the Blades attendance record. Unfortunately this year, we're only getting around 4 000 at the games.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ferland was ambushed as he was leaving the Stageline Saloon in Cochrane, and a jury found that he acted in self-defence when he threw a punch, knocking out another patron outside the bar...

Seeing as Ferland was acquitted of criminal charges by a jury in June, it's really starting to sound like the guy suing him is just a weasel looking for some easy money...

4ee297a711026f5c5ad65a0a7fbb6e84.png

d93bc1580050f8155e1c2de461e8a83d.png

It will be nice to talk about Ferland regarding something other than his legal situation.  When he played for the Heat, he was finally getting his game up to AHL numbers.  Eighteen points in 25 games is not too bad.  His size and style of play will make him difficult to contain, and he fits the Flames motor of getting bigger and harder to play against.  I am looking forward to seeing him flourish on the new Addy team, under a new coach. 

It will be nice to talk about Ferland regarding something other than his legal situation. When he played for the Heat, he was finally getting his game up to AHL numbers. Eighteen points in 25 games is not too bad. His size and style of play will make him difficult to contain, and he fits the Flames motor of getting bigger and harder to play against. I am looking forward to seeing him flourish on the new Addy team, under a new coach.

The bigger story for me is where he got those points. He started the season off really slow but once he got rolling he was the Heat best player by a mile. It was too small of a sample size and his season was derailed by injury. But if he didn't get hurt and he kept that up he would be considered one of the Flames top 4 prospects.

That's why he is one of my favorites prospects. If he can out up those numbers he will be a scary prospect. Offensive output to go with big size and a mean attitude! Yikes.

That said, he could just as easily fail to put the numbers up and project as a bottom 9 brawler.

Next season will tell us a lot I think.

• 3 months later...

Ferland placed on IR, which is concerning. Means an open roster spot, but also that he is not close to returning. If they recall anyone, I would suggest Knight for his FO skills and size.

That really disappoints me, I was hoping he could get over it quick like Granlund did. 

He always seems to get onto a good start then a injury takes him out, hopefully he can get over this season and get back to playing.

That really disappoints me, I was hoping he could get over it quick like Granlund did. 

He always seems to get onto a good start then a injury takes him out, hopefully he can get over this season and get back to playing.

It may have been more of a paper transaction, since the same guy that reported it (Cgy Sun) is also saying Ferly is making good progress. I think you may see him go back to the AHL when he is healthy.

As reported (tweeted) today by Wes Gilbertson (Calgary Sun)....

A note on #Flames LW Michael Ferland -- 22-year-old has resumed skating, is making positive progress in recovery from concussion.

As reported (tweeted) today by Wes Gilbertson (Calgary Sun)....

A note on #Flames LW Michael Ferland -- 22-year-old has resumed skating, is making positive progress in recovery from concussion.

We don't have the appropriate smileys in this forum to show how happy I am to read that.

• 4 months later...

I think it's time to move this Ferland thread to the Flames talk. If he can continue what he did tonight, he's a keeper on the Flames Roster. He was one of the best players tonight. Maybe not on the score sheet, but he was everywhere making hits and making his presence known. 

Archived