Mikael Backlund

jjgallow

Love Backs. Great start for the kid. You can tell he really loves to be a Flame based on his twitter account.

The guy looks much heavier than last year. Much quicker as well. He is able to use his hockey sense instead of a simple dump and chase.

He still needs to do a better job burying his chances.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regards to the Stajan comments, they're bang on. Regardless of his position.

I don't care if Stajan is a goalie, or one of those Flames Girls who help clear the snow.

The bottom line is that we Can and Should do better. This would Especially be true if he was trying to be a Flames girl, but it is also true with him as a center. Granted, he has played better of late. In no way should we confuse that with good enough.

Like already pointed out, we have a number of centers playing wing. Stajan's role on this team is redundant, and could concurrently be filled by existing players, freeing up ice time for Baertschi and Backlund. If we simply Can't fill that void, then we need to start looking at any number of free agents who can.

We all know it comes down to money. The Flames don't want to buy him out. But they didn't mind selling season tickets in a lockout. I'm thinking they can afford the buyout.

More about Baertschi and Backlund: They are the first of many young prospects. The Flames are finally drafting better. It's time the Flames got a development program at the NHL level, complete with a development coach. All the other NHL teams with young prospects do. The only reason we don't is because we haven't had real prospects in years.

I don't care if they play in the NHL or the AHL, but they need playing time and Baertschi needs to be injury free. If he has to go to the AHL to do that, so be it. Alternatively, the Flames could start investing more in their prospect development. The days of winging it are over.

With regards to the Stajan comments, they're bang on. Regardless of his position.

More about Baertschi and Backlund: They are the first of many young prospects. The Flames are finally drafting better. It's time the Flames got a development program at the NHL level, complete with a development coach. All the other NHL teams with young prospects do. The only reason we don't is because we haven't had real prospects in years.

Ron Sutter has been the Flames development coach for a good 3 or 4 years now.

Ron Sutter has been the Flames development coach for a good 3 or 4 years now.

That would be great cross...especially since we need development at center. But I'm pretty sure he's actually scouting for them. (and has been doing a great job of it)

I know there was that 2010 announcement...but it's been pretty quiet since. He's not even on their website

http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40732

That would be great cross...especially since we need development at center. But I'm pretty sure he's actually scouting for them. (and has been doing a great job of it)

I know there was that 2010 announcement...but it's been pretty quiet since. He's not even on their website

http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40732

Nope, still the development coach.

Scouting Staff

I don't think that's Stajan lol....:)

But it really does make one appreciate Kipper's ability to concentrate

That's Leland Irving

Nope, still the development coach.

Scouting Staff

Right, he's not on their website...as stated. I'll take your word for it I guess, haven't seen him anywhere. Did an interview a few days ago...was referred to as a scout. Could be a miscommunication, just sayin.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Senior+Sutter+pays+nephew+Blades+visit/7885564/story.html

That's Leland Irving

Lol...my bad. Well, that explains a lot too...

I think his play in his own zone has been excellent, actually. But he needs to learn to hit the net

Getting some ice time will help that. He's creating with the limited time he's got. If he had Iggy like time, he'd have Iggy like production.... oh wait... he's doing better than Iggy... nevermind.

I love the confidence that Backs is showing, his new demeanor really seems to be helping with his play on the ice, my concern though is what happens when he hits a slump and has a string of bad games? Is he going to be able to find that swagger again?

I've been a big supporter of him since he was drafted, I dont like the way he has been developed and rushed through our system. IMO he has been mishandled badly and this has stunted his growth through the NHL so far and done a # on his mental game. I hope that this season is a step in the right direction for him and he can finally reach his potential and become a more constitent and complete player, and the first step to his redevelopment is too hold on to this the found confidence.

Thanks DD. Let me know if you hear anything!

Anything?

Well not sure.

Pat Steinburg is saying they are still waiting on updates. He mentions that it may or may not mean anything but...

45610a6a8b4b55005dde9f45e27bfd35.png?1360358618

When looking at the team roster page it appears that Backlund and Kipper joins Sven on IR. (note the ** next to the name).

I will wait for an announcement as this website can be brutal on updates at times.

Well not sure.

Pat Steinburg is saying they are still waiting on updates. He mentions that it may or may not mean anything but...

45610a6a8b4b55005dde9f45e27bfd35.png?1360358618

When looking at the team roster page it appears that Backlund and Kipper joins Sven on IR. (note the ** next to the name).

I will wait for an announcement as this website can be brutal on updates at times.

Well that's unfortunate if that page is correct. This team is getting banged up real quick and is going to have to dig pretty deep if all these guys are out any extended period of time.

Archived