Western Conference Predictions 2013

The_People1

And your point prediction for the Oilers?

You have em at 8th..

That's about 54 pts.

a 0.563 pt %

Last yr...

0.451 pt %

0.563 over 82 gms... 92 pts.

An 18 pt improvement based on the additions of 2 rookies (Nail & Justin), Fistric and internal improvement?

And where would a hypothetical 18 pt improvement rank on the all time list? Top 10? Top 5? And you think the above additions would spark that jump? hmm..

(for the record, its an 11 pt improvment prorated for 48 gms)

The Oilers may benefit from a short season... but others will not benefit as much? Like Nashville? Dallas? Colorado?

Maybe you could logically lay out the reasons why the Oilers benefit to a greater extent than other teams?

Because in my experience watching the game... rookies start out slow as they accomodate to the new level of play and improve and come into their own and find their groove as the season progresses. Will there be enough time for Nail and Justin in 48 gms to become impact players?

I would say the Canucks winning the President's Trophy (not that i think they will) is MUCH more likely than the Oilers in the playoffs this yr.

But hey... maybe that's just me..

- I see the Oilers making the playoffs due to the shortened season combined with the core being young and playing together on North American ice.

- They have a new coach who also knows the players and the system. Less adjustment time but new clean slate.

- Most important is injuries, or lack there of. This is the first year in recent memory that the Oilers have no injury problems for key players. This is particularly important in regards to Hemsky and Whitney. These were the Oilers two best players before the rebuild and they both have been recovering from serious surgeries over the last two seasons. Both seem to be 100%.

- The Oilers have a legitimate 2nd line. As of today, I would say the Oilers top 6 is better than the Canucks. The Canucks don't have a 2nd line right now. This is the first time the Oilers have had a legit 2nd line in years.

As for your last statement, want to make a sig bet?

If Canucks win President's trophy and Oilers miss playoffs, you pick my sig for the rest of the playoffs. If Oilers make playoffs and Canucks don't win President's trophy I pick your sig for the playoffs. If both teams meet their expectation or both teams fail then tie and no sig. Deal?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- I see the Oilers making the playoffs due to the shortened season combined with the core being young and playing together on North American ice.

- They have a new coach who also knows the players and the system. Less adjustment time but new clean slate.

- Most important is injuries, or lack there of. This is the first year in recent memory that the Oilers have no injury problems for key players. This is particularly important in regards to Hemsky and Whitney. These were the Oilers two best players before the rebuild and they both have been recovering from serious surgeries over the last two seasons. Both seem to be 100%.

- The Oilers have a legitimate 2nd line. As of today, I would say the Oilers top 6 is better than the Canucks. The Canucks don't have a 2nd line right now. This is the first time the Oilers have had a legit 2nd line in years.

If Canucks win President's trophy and Oilers miss playoffs, you pick my sig for the rest of the playoffs. If Oilers make playoffs and Canucks don't win President's trophy I pick your sig for the playoffs. If both teams meet their expectation or both teams fail then tie and no sig. Deal?

Added an edit to the post you quoted...

Also after 48 games last yr.. the Oilers sat at a mere 40 pts (the whole young team starting slow trend)... So you are talking about a 14pt improvement over last yr`s first 48 gms.

(But to be all inclusive - In the final 48 gmes of the season last yr the Oilers had 41 pts... so they didn`t even really get to experience that improvement factor young teams usually see as the season goes on)

You still haven't explained why a short season is beneficial for the Oilers over other teams.

In terms of injuries... the Canucks lost the 7th most man games (300+) to injuries last yr and managed to win the President's trophy... they are off to a shaky start in that department with Kesler and Booth... but its only for about 5 weeks.

overall they should be luckier this yr.

The bet is an absolute no-brainer...

BTW, has Derf been around at all lately? I miss that guy. :(

I predict that he will make a glorious and triumphant return before game 1 on Saturday

We have a WINNER!!!

With this post in the Canucks thread, C_Worthy's prediction is fulfilled in only 19 hrs and 37 min... :lol:

Agree with your comment on the lack of testicular fortitude. This is a big problem for the Canucks and an entertaining one for us Flames fans to watch. etc... etc...

Who is the Oilers projected 2nd line?

What I have heard discussed is:

Yakoff/Gag-me/Himski

Should be good for 8 points in ONE game; one game only.

That line should last for about a week, until Himski gets injured.

I joke about it, but the line could be good or a trainwreck, :wacko:

lol and that one game will be against Chi-town again, right? Seriously though, while Gagner and Hemsky haven't exactly had perfect chemistry when they've played together, Yakupov joining them might just be that missing link that results in a good scoring line. My only hope is that they aren't overwhelmed physically, being such a small line. We'll need some big D to help them out... maybe Fistric on line two with them would be a real smart idea.

What I have heard discussed is:

Yakoff/Gag-me/Himski

Should be good for 8 points in ONE game; one game only.

That line should last for about a week, until Himski gets injured.

I joke about it, but the line could be good or a trainwreck, :wacko:

That's gotta be the softest 2nd line in the NHL.

That's gotta be the softest 2nd line in the NHL.

You might be forgetting the Canucks 2nd line to start the season of Ebbett-Schroder-Raymond. There is so many things wrong with that line that I don't know where to start maybe they can best be described as the exact opposite of the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line in every single way.

You might be forgetting the Canucks 2nd line to start the season of Ebbett-Schroder-Raymond. There is so many things wrong with that line that I don't know where to start maybe they can best be described as the exact opposite of the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line in every single way.

The projected second line was with Kassian, not Schroeder.

But at least we have an excuse, 2 guys that would otherwise be on that line are out. That is the best the Oilers have to offer.

The projected second line was with Kassian, not Schroeder.

But at least we have an excuse, 2 guys that would otherwise be on that line are out. That is the best the Oilers have to offer.

Excuse? Not really.

You say the Oilers 2nd line is soft when all of Booth, Kesler and have had injury and or diving histories.

Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky vs Booth-Kesler-Raymond. Take one player from the Oilers 2nd line and it still isn't that bad. Take Kesler away from the Canucks 2nd line and it is way worse. Oilers 2nd line has a lot more offence. Canucks 2nd line has defence from Kesler but that's it.

I don't see a big difference in the overall line quality when both are healthy. Kesler at his prime is the best of the 6 (unless Yakupov becomes a big goal scorer) but the next best 3 players are the Oilers.

Excuse? Not really.

You say the Oilers 2nd line is soft when all of Booth, Kesler and have had injury and or diving histories.

Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky vs Booth-Kesler-Raymond. Take one player from the Oilers 2nd line and it still isn't that bad. Take Kesler away from the Canucks 2nd line and it is way worse. Oilers 2nd line has a lot more offence. Canucks 2nd line has defence from Kesler but that's it.

I don't see a big difference in the overall line quality when both are healthy. Kesler at his prime is the best of the 6 (unless Yakupov becomes a big goal scorer) but the next best 3 players are the Oilers.

Quite the individualistic point of view.

I didn't realize Gagner and Hemsky all of sudden have some sort of established chemistry.

They must look great in camp.

That's great news for the Oilers since chemistry between the 2 has been non-existent last 3 yrs on any consistent basis.

A little asking and reading... and what i got was...

-Chemistry of the 2nd line looks great on the rush. Lots of speed.

-Seems to have a turnover issue.

-Gave up too many goals against.

-But looked better than the top line

-The problem in the chemistry department appears to be between Hall-RNH-Eberle.. it isn't there, and the expectation is if it doesn't spark early in the season they will be broken up fairly quickly.

Also obvious concern over their size and physicality.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1326021

So basically the lines in Edmonton appear far from settled, so its definitely premature to boost superiority over anyone else at this point.

Anyways.. not that i needed to, but i feel even better about our bet.

Excuse? Not really.

You take no one away from the Oilers line, and it still isn't that great.

You take points away from Kesler and Booth for being injured in favour of a line that features Ales Hemsky?

The true Canucks second line, with everyone healthy would have Higgins, not Raymond. Provides just as much offence (if not more), and the defensive capabilities don't even come close.

A little asking and reading... and what i got was...

-Chemistry of the 2nd line looks great on the rush. Lots of speed.

-Seems to have a turnover issue.

-Gave up too many goals against.

-But looked better than the top line

-The problem in the chemistry department appears to be between Hall-RNH-Eberle.. it isn't there, and the expectation is if it doesn't spark early in the season they will be broken up fairly quickly.

Also obvious concern over their size and physicality.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1326021

So basically the lines in Edmonton appear far from settled, so its definitely premature to boost superiority over anyone else at this point.

Anyways.. not that i needed to, but i feel even better about our bet.

You're using halfboards as a source?

I can claim that the Canucks current 2nd line of Raymond-Schoeder-Kassian is nowhere close to a 2nd line of a contending team.

You take no one away from the Oilers line, and it still isn't that great.

You take points away from Kesler and Booth for being injured in favour of a line that features Ales Hemsky?

The true Canucks second line, with everyone healthy would have Higgins, not Raymond. Provides just as much offence (if not more), and the defensive capabilities don't even come close.

Out of Kesler, Booth and Hemsky, who's gonna be playing a regular season game this weekend?

You're using halfboards as a source?

I can claim that the Canucks current 2nd line of Raymond-Schoeder-Kassian is nowhere close to a 2nd line of a contending team.

You've gotta pick and choose who you wanna listen to... so read what the ones who have been to the scrimmages are saying...

ignore the blatant crap, or the ones that are going off of what someone else has said or thinks... or just mere fan boys who haven't seen a single shift but keep looking at a piece of paper saying - wow looks great from here...

Just like your claim above knocking the canuck line... based on what.. a piece of paper.

Also good thing its a TEAM that determines whether the TEAM is a contending team and does not hinge on a single line.

Raymond - Schroeder/Ebbett - Kassian, Hamhuis - Bieksa should be just fine.

We will see tomorrow. and better yet.. head to head on Sunday.

You willing to put any money on this for 1:1 odds?

I'm willing to put $100 on the line that Hemsky makes it to Saturday nights game without pulling a groin.

Sure, but just to make sure you don't back out, why don't you paypal me the $100, then if you win I'll send $200 back to you.

Hemsky has been healthy for 106 games straight.

and his play is steadily improving too. We cannot argue that Hemsky hasn't had a history of catastrophic injuries, but recently he has been doing much better. Last season he took some massive hits, for crying out loud that Kronwall hit even gave Hemsky's mother a concussion. But.. he got right back up and skated his bloody nose to the bench, but didn't miss a shift. I'm crossing my fingers here but it seems like we have been seeing a new Hemsky of late, like he has a point to prove. Big if here, but IF there is chemistry between yak, gag, and hem this could prove to be a very productive line.

Size and grit will be the issue with line two IMO, not scoring ability.

Archived