Fan Reaction To A Lockout/work Stoppage

CastleMania

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Anti+lockout+movement+attempts+owners+where+hurts/7245135/story.html

At least this guy is trying something. So far they mention over 2500+ people jumping on the wagon. Nice comprehensive lists too. If this grows to large masses (highly unlikely, but it can happen), this will hurt the owners big time.

http://www.youhavetwoweeks.com/

http://www.change.org/petitions/you-have-two-weeks#

(Too bad he's an Oilers fan)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Anti+lockout+movement+attempts+owners+where+hurts/7245135/story.html

At least this guy is trying something. So far they mention over 2500+ people jumping on the wagon. Nice comprehensive lists too. If this grows to large masses (highly unlikely, but it can happen), this will hurt the owners big time.

I wondered when someone was going to post about that...

If this boycott was to succeed, it would not fix the problem...

The problem is that the players percentage of revenue is too high for the business side of the league to be successful...

If the players win this one, it would be a safe bet that ticket prices would be driven even higher... This would happen in the markets that could handle the increases and more revenue sharing would have to occur to further help the teams that are already struggling which would also compound the necessary increases... In other words if the business has an increase of the costs required to run the business, the consumer (all of us) end up paying for it...

From all of the information I have been able to read into, it has become apparent to me that for the league to be viable the split on revenue would have to be closer to 50/50... Leagues like the NFL and NBA did not arrive at their figures for revenue sharing by accident... What makes the players in the NHL think they are deserving of a bigger share of the pie than the players in those leagues or that the NHL can operate and be successful when they are causing teams to lose money with their inflated salaries is beyond me...

Furthermore, If the boycott against owners of the teams was to be successful, it could backfire as not only could that take away money needed to operate teams in some cases where they already take a loss and also have a side affect of how much money was available for spending on players, but it could also scare away potential owners in the future if they think they could be facing these kind of boycotts every few years down the road...

If people want to have a successful boycott that could help end this nonsense, perhaps someone should come up with a campaign that listed all of the businesses that players own and boycott them instead...

In hockey markets the arena will still be full. In the 1s that are normally only 20-40% filled missing a few won't even translate to the tv screen.

If every season tickey holder in Wpg. were to cancel over 1/2 those tickets would be snapped up by those on the waiting list with the rest sold in hours. The few seats left on a game to game would still be full.

In other cities you have to wait for someone to die & leave you the option on those tickets.

It's a heat of the moment reaction that the few that follow through will regret. (Given the sentiment that ticket prices are too high the retaining your ticket but not attending doesn't fly either. Human nature is to recoupe the cost so the ticket would be sold but there would still be a full seat.)

It's the cutting off your nose to spite your face scenario.

Like many things it sounds good in theory but doesn't work in reality.

:)

Tully’s idea is to boycott the companies and services owned by NHL owners, hoping the owners eventually feel a financial pinch from fans spending their dollars elsewhere.

Maybe I will join the Boycott!!!

Yay!!...Now I'm a poser fan showing solidarity with the poor starving NHL players. B)

Hmmm....What to do?

Although I am not a football fan whatsoever, maybe I will start going to Stampeder games and buy some souvenirs!

What?...The Stampeders are owned by the Calgary Flames organization! :o

Well so much for that idea.

Well, I guess I could support Junior hockey and become an active fan of the Calgary Hitmen.

What?...The Hitmen are also owned by the Calgary Flames?

Another alternative to NHL hockey shot down in Flames. :(

Hmmm....What other professional sports are in Calgary?

Ahhh....Lacrosse and our very own Roughnecks! A sport more Canadian than Ice Hockey.

Perfect :)

Wait! What?...The Roughnecks are owned by the Flames.

Damn!..So much for that.

Well I guess I could console myself with music.

I am really looking forward to seeing Bob Dylan come onto the stage with a cane or a walker at the Dome the night before the 2012-13 NHL Regular Season was supposed to commence.

What? The Flames still get a cut of the parking and concessions. Doh!! :angry:

Wooh.....Those evil owners of the Flames have their fingers in many pies.

Including the ones on the desert menu at Flames Central.

Well it looks like the Calgary Flames will still have a few income streams happening whereas the poor starving players whom I was going to support with this boycott will have to rely on whatever is left of their salary from last season; if any. :rolleyes:

Maybe the players should diversify their meagre savings like the NHL teams to guarantee an alternative income for hard times such as NHL lockouts. They could also guarantee the ability to retire after their careers end between the ages of 35 and 45.

I imagine the concept of possibly working for another 20 to 30 years like us commoners is an absolutely horrific concept. :unsure:

What posses me off is how the teams are proposing to refund the tickets as the season goes on. Calgary, for example, has a lot of the premium games before January 1. I paid for tickets assuming that I would get to watch the full list of teams, not just Columbus, Phoenix and Colorado in the last half.

Really we should have the option for a full refund. Not all games are equal in what I want to see. Saying that Wednesday night versus Columbus has the same value as New Years eve versus Boston is insulting.

We invest several thousand in tickets each year for the fullslate of games... I don't want the second half of the season... That's not what I signed up for.

This alone is making me reconsider being a continued ticket holder after this season (too late to bail now). If the NHL decides which games I get to see anyway, then why not just buy single tickets. I support the owners in this dispute, but this alone really pisses me off.

Get that Ken King? Half the season is NOT the same!

/rant off

What posses me off is how the teams are proposing to refund the tickets as the season goes on. Calgary, for example, has a lot of the premium games before January 1. I paid for tickets assuming that I would get to watch the full list of teams, not just Columbus, Phoenix and Colorado in the last half.

Really we should have the option for a full refund. Not all games are equal in what I want to see. Saying that Wednesday night versus Columbus has the same value as New Years eve versus Boston is insulting.

We invest several thousand in tickets each year for the fullslate of games... I don't want the second half of the season... That's not what I signed up for.

This alone is making me reconsider being a continued ticket holder after this season (too late to bail now). If the NHL decides which games I get to see anyway, then why not just buy single tickets. I support the owners in this dispute, but this alone really pisses me off.

Get that Ken King? Half the season is NOT the same!

/rant off

A few articles I've read in the past week mention an NHL continguancy plan to redraw the schedule depending on games lost. 1st to go would be those against the other conference. So the emphasis would be on division games followed by those within the conference.

A new schedule would be fairly easy as they already know each team/arena's available dates.

A series of Western conference only games is much less valuable to me than the premium Eastern confernence matchups I'd lose. Not worth the same at all. I'm willing to pay $250 to see Columbus because I get to pay $250 to see Boston on New Years Eve.

Anyway, the team is offering STH the ability to cancel their tickets for a full refund... But then you lose your tickets forever.

A few articles I've read in the past week mention an NHL continguancy plan to redraw the schedule depending on games lost. 1st to go would be those against the other conference. So the emphasis would be on division games followed by those within the conference.

A new schedule would be fairly easy as they already know each team/arena's available dates.

To which I agree with geos' complaint: being that a schedule consisting of only divisional and conference games is not really an equivalent product

To which I agree with geos' complaint: being that a schedule consisting of only divisional and conference games is not really an equivalent product

Exactly. The Flames should offer a refund with you retaining your ticket rights for next year. That's the right thing to do. Not some bait and switch Boston for Columbus nonsense.

Exactly. The Flames should offer a refund with you retaining your ticket rights for next year. That's the right thing to do. Not some bait and switch Boston for Columbus nonsense.

The owners not doing the right thing, paying the equivalent of what they owe? No way. I can't believe they'd be sleazy and back out of contractual obligations, or not care about the paying customers!

oh wait......

The owners not doing the right thing, paying the equivalent of what they owe? No way. I can't believe they'd be sleazy and back out of contractual obligations, or not care about the paying customers!

If they offer me a different schedule than what they offered me a month ago, they've changed the product. I don't want 50 Western Conference games for the same price per game as the 82 game sched. No way. That's not the same product.

Paying me the same for a Columbus game as a Montreal game is stupid too... without STH, they'd never sell a Columbus ticket at all. Montreal tickets would be gone in seconds. Different value, despite having the same face price.

And telling me to give up my tickets forever if I don't like the new schedule? Some loyalty to their fans and supporters.

This time around I'm a lot more frustrated than last lockout. Last time I knew it needed to be fixed and I was pro cap all the way so I was find with doing what it took, the game was broken in my mind and I don't feel that now. Having said that I will save my rant because I am still not convinced a lot of time will be lost. I don't think thd sept 15 deadline meant much ti either side. Owners and players likely agree on one thing, neither likes training camp or preseason games so I dont think either is considered about canceling that or even a few games in early October. I won't be too upset if a few games are cancelled but if they cancel more than that I will be very upset. There is a fair deal to be made here and if the two sides don't get they it's motivated by nothing more than pride and greed and ad a fan that drives me insane. It is not their game to use as a toy.

Since I might have extra time on my hands I've started test driving new mistresses. ^_^

Heck, some were due to be upgraded anyway. :D

Having mistresses can be compared to collecting Harley Davidsons...

Checking out the innovations of the handlebars and the seat on the newer models can be great fun... But there ain't no harm in appreciating the vintage models that can make you smile when going down the highway either... :)

If they offer me a different schedule than what they offered me a month ago, they've changed the product. I don't want 50 Western Conference games for the same price per game as the 82 game sched. No way. That's not the same product.

Paying me the same for a Columbus game as a Montreal game is stupid too... without STH, they'd never sell a Columbus ticket at all. Montreal tickets would be gone in seconds. Different value, despite having the same face price.

And telling me to give up my tickets forever if I don't like the new schedule? Some loyalty to their fans and supporters.

Very true. I agree completely.

Kind of my opinion and approach to the owners in general. Get all this money from the fans, only to not provide a service or even a comparable switch. Offer all these contracts only to change terms and amounts. They are greasy businessmen.

I kind of find it humorous though, that nobody sees the irony of being choked tht owners have ripped of the customers, but don't care that they are reneging promises and contracts to players who in turn must just be big babies for expecting owners to live up to said promises.

It's ok for owners to break those promises and contracts to players but not to us? The owners made millions on a service they cant provide and they get to keep it. All. At least the players have to be there to get paid. And are the one we are there to see. Just saying.

If I were you I would be livid. I would get my money back and as soon as the schedule gets figured out, figure out game packs from there. Owners are douchy.

As much as players are spoiled. Though IMHO the reason I love hockey players is because they are spoiled men. Not like über rich spoiled baseball players. Or crazy rich, amazingly pampered soccer players. Less prima donnas than NFL Allstars. It could be so much worse, and at the end of the day It's the owner who are breaking promises and taking our money, more and more of it every year and asking for more.

Having mistresses can be compared to collecting Harley Davidsons...

Checking out the innovations of the handlebars and the seat on the newer models can be great fun... But there ain't no harm in appreciating the vintage models that can make you smile when going down the highway either... :)

It never hurts to have both available. That way you can decide by your mood.

Some of the well maintained vintage models are fantastic. I actually prefer to show those off. They are also tested & true.

An important feature on the newer 1s is the mute. I have to be sure that during a game they don't spew noise. Just sweet silence but you still feel the rumble. I double check that feature during the test. ;)

I kind of find it humorous though, that nobody sees the irony of being choked tht owners have ripped of the customers, but don't care that they are reneging promises and contracts to players who in turn must just be big babies for expecting owners to live up to said promises.

It's ok for owners to break those promises and contracts to players but not to us? The owners made millions on a service they cant provide and they get to keep it. All. At least the players have to be there to get paid. And are the one we are there to see. Just saying.

The owners didn't make their millions/billions from hockey. They could walk away leaving the NHL owning 30 teams with many of them saving money in the process. Owning a professional sports team is more about ego then money (like a trophy wife).

In a sport that has interest that varies by state (4th to 10/12th) certainly doesn't speak of being in it for the money.

Making the league economically viable benefits the players (more jobs/higher wages) & the owners (costs might = revenue across the league so the money losers don't drain the 1s that make money).

The owners of the viable teams are propping up the less sucessful in hopes of growing the sport across the USA (Canada is a g'me). Jacobs & Snider own 2 teams that make money but see it go to other teams. What they make from the Bruins & Flyers is pocket change (Snider gives more to charity then the Flyers net each year).

The owners could cut losses with simple contraction keeping only the financially healthy teams. It would be economically sound but (as I said above) owning a team is not about money in the NHL. If it were a licence to print money Wpg., QC, KC, etc. would never have lost teams. Exchange rate or not Calgary & Edmonton were in danger of losing their teams in 2 cities that can fill the rink.

The players that are the face of the league are the 1s flashing the bird to both ownership & their less talented fellow NHLPA members by taking less in Europe.

They tell the league they'll play for less & tell their teammates they're just looking after themselves but expecting them to continue supporting the guaranteed big $ contracts only the supposed elite (the 1s on TV with Fehr for the star value) merit.

The average player shouldn't care about contract length as their career is 4-5 years & often 2 way. The more $s the stars get the less is left for the remainder. The stars are asking the support guys to take the hit while their 65% in the KHL is more then some of these guys get over the life of their contract/career.

A 3 minute chorus of boos and chants upon introduction of each team at it's 1st home game.

If you're loud enough, the press is going to love it.

If it's loud enough around the league, the press is really going to love it.

There's few ways to have a voice. Using it is still the best one for us commoners...

I still hold hope a deal will get done in October, but I have to say, the lack of urgency has me dumbfounded and very confused. The quick flight of some players has me kind of angry.

It's OUR league, maybe that's a good chant?

A 3 minute chorus of boos and chants upon introduction of each team at it's 1st home game.

There's few ways to have a voice. Using it is still the best one for us commoners...

I still hold hope a deal will get done in October, but I have to say, the lack of urgency has me dumbfounded and very confused. The quick flight of some players has me kind of angry.

It's OUR league, maybe that's a good chant?

I am not on anyone's 'side', but I think it's clear from my posts that I am more in agreement with the owners than the players.

However, I fail to see how booing the players is in anyway an appropriate, justified, or useful action.

1) it isn't entirely their - or the owners' - fault, it's just a business dispute

2) once the lockout is over, we will be fans again and we will want 'our' team to do well. I fail to see how booing them is a constructive step in that process

If you don't want to support hockey and the NHL, then don't.

But booing the players is destructive and does not accomplish what it would be intended to accomplish.

Haha... that would be the most hilarious thing ever! How stupid would those fans look? I mean really.. think about it...

"I paid $100 for this seat, $20 for parking, $10 for this beer so i can show you how pissed i am by booing you during intros!"

Only one way to show your displeasure... Don't spend a dime. If you have one of those Nelson TV ratings boxes.. make sure its never turned on hockey... ever.

Don't click on NHL.com, TSN or Sportsnet websites for your news... go any canadian newspaper sports department or ESPN...

If you don't have a rating box in your home... watch away... watch and enjoy every game... just don't spend a dime on em.

Better than looking ridiculous booing at venue you had to pay to get in where the money goes to the 2 parties you are booing.

Archived