Fan Reaction To A Lockout/work Stoppage

CastleMania

Haha... that would be the most hilarious thing ever! How stupid would those fans look? I mean really.. think about it...

"I paid $100 for this seat, $20 for parking, $10 for this beer so i can show you how pissed i am by booing you during intros!"

Only one way to show your displeasure... Don't spend a dime. If you have one of those Nelson TV ratings boxes.. make sure its never turned on hockey... ever.

Don't click on NHL.com, TSN or Sportsnet websites for your news... go any canadian newspaper sports department or ESPN...

If you don't have a rating box in your home... watch away... watch and enjoy every game... just don't spend a dime on em.

Better than looking ridiculous booing at venue you had to pay to get in where the money goes to the 2 parties you are booing.

However, I think it is totally fine and justified for Vancouver fans to boo the Nucks. Lord knows they deserve it!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I think it is totally fine and justified for Vancouver fans to boo the Nucks. Lord knows they deserve it!

heh...

And i would suggest flames fan just boo their team preemptively pre-game this yr... based on the fans and flames games the last couple yrs its inevitable in-game and post-game anyways. ^_^

Calgary Flames Employees Hit By Lockout - Defenceman Jay Bouwmeester says players sympathize - CBC News Sep 18, 2012 4:23 PM MT

Excerpt

Flames' defenceman Jay Bouwmeester said Tuesday NHL players are aware of the lockout's effect on other people.“It affects everybody which is unfortunate and that's why you hope things get going and they can really come to their senses and just put it all behind us and go play hockey," said Bouwmeester.

Who is they? I think he is talking about his fellow NHLPA members & their ringleader. It is quite obvious that the owners can't "go play hockey". B)

While some NHL teams have started to lay off workers, Calgary Flames management said Tuesday it will not be taking that step. The Flames organization also owns the Calgary Stampeders football team and the Calgary Roughnecks lacrosse team, which means it can move employees around.

I guess that old try to make the fans sympathize with the players in their concern for the cogs of the operation side of the NHL won't be as effective in Calgary. As Nelson Muntz would say - HA-Haw!

I am not on anyone's 'side', but I think it's clear from my posts that I am more in agreement with the owners than the players.

However, I fail to see how booing the players is in anyway an appropriate, justified, or useful action.

1) it isn't entirely their - or the owners' - fault, it's just a business dispute

2) once the lockout is over, we will be fans again and we will want 'our' team to do well. I fail to see how booing them is a constructive step in that process

If you don't want to support hockey and the NHL, then don't.

But booing the players is destructive and does not accomplish what it would be intended to accomplish.

It was more a vent than anything, but I wasn't meaning boo the players, rather the stoppage. And not sit and boo all night, just upfront to voice displeasure. Heck, play the theme song from the '70's hit situation comedy "Welcome Back Kotter" once the vent is out!

But still, just a rant carried over from the previous post.

It's hard to watch the lack of urgency whilst being a fan and feeling left out in the cold...

It was more a vent than anything, but I wasn't meaning boo the players, rather the stoppage. And not sit and boo all night, just upfront to voice displeasure. Heck, play the theme song from the '70's hit situation comedy "Welcome Back Kotter" once the vent is out!

It's hard to watch the lack of urgency whilst being a fan and feeling left out in the cold...

Once the settlement is reached many of us might as well play the theme from "Happy Days". :)

yes it is

• 4 weeks later...

So out of curiosity, is anyone else considering cancelling their season's tickets?

I'm in an odd position that only allows me to see about 10-14 games per year and the majority of those games fall in November, late December, and early January. If there aren't any games by November, quite frankly, I'm not certain that I want to continue paying. I also don't like the fact that the Flames are keeping my money, when it is abundantly clear that certain games will be missed (even despite the fact that they are providing a generous, almost risk-free rate of 3% on those funds). IMO, this money should be returned to the ticket holders. At my current age, my time preference of money is worth significantly more than 3%.

The other issue that is really bothering me is that I'm not certain that I want my hard earned dollars financing an incredibly dysfunctional league. The incompetence of the people running things in the NHL (the league and the PA both) just amazes me. Why should the fans have to fund their incompetence?

Before anyone states that I should stop whining because I have the ability to cancel my tickets at anytime and get a refund, just don't. The fact of the matter is that I have spent a signifcant amount of time and money to get season's tickets and then get the seats that I currently have. If it were as simple as cancelling my tickets and then purchasing them once again when I want to come back, then this argument would hold water. Unfortunately however, the long waitlist to get back into the Dome, the difficulty securing the seats you want, and the lack of a good substitute for NHL hockey in the Calgary market all act as barriers to exit. Therefore, it's not as simple as just cancelling your season's tickets.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone else was considering dropping their season's tickets (and also vent a little frustration with the lockout).

Before anyone states that I should stop whining because I have the ability to cancel my tickets at anytime and get a refund, just don't. The fact of the matter is that I have spent a significant amount of time and money to get season's tickets and then get the seats that I currently have. If it were as simple as cancelling my tickets and then purchasing them once again when I want to come back, then this argument would hold water. Unfortunately however, the long waitlist to get back into the Dome, the difficulty securing the seats you want, and the lack of a good substitute for NHL hockey in the Calgary market all act as barriers to exit. Therefore, it's not as simple as just cancelling your season's tickets.

That's the quandary for those lucky enough to have season tickets. It's easy to cancel but hard to get them back in hockey cities.

I know there is still a huge waiting list for Jets season tickets & any cancellations are snapped up. The person cancelling then goes on the wait list.

& there's no way of knowing if the seats will be as good if you happen to score another.

So out of curiosity, is anyone else considering cancelling their season's tickets?

I'm in an odd position that only allows me to see about 10-14 games per year and the majority of those games fall in November, late December, and early January. If there aren't any games by November, quite frankly, I'm not certain that I want to continue paying. I also don't like the fact that the Flames are keeping my money, when it is abundantly clear that certain games will be missed (even despite the fact that they are providing a generous, almost risk-free rate of 3% on those funds). IMO, this money should be returned to the ticket holders. At my current age, my time preference of money is worth significantly more than 3%.

The other issue that is really bothering me is that I'm not certain that I want my hard earned dollars financing an incredibly dysfunctional league. The incompetence of the people running things in the NHL (the league and the PA both) just amazes me. Why should the fans have to fund their incompetence?

Before anyone states that I should stop whining because I have the ability to cancel my tickets at anytime and get a refund, just don't. The fact of the matter is that I have spent a signifcant amount of time and money to get season's tickets and then get the seats that I currently have. If it were as simple as cancelling my tickets and then purchasing them once again when I want to come back, then this argument would hold water. Unfortunately however, the long waitlist to get back into the Dome, the difficulty securing the seats you want, and the lack of a good substitute for NHL hockey in the Calgary market all act as barriers to exit. Therefore, it's not as simple as just cancelling your season's tickets.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone else was considering dropping their season's tickets (and also vent a little frustration with the lockout).

I think it is a 100% legitimate view where you are debating cancelling. As a fan, the only vote you have (which people rarely understand how they are exercising) is to pay or not pay. But you have to realize that in no way were/are the owners (or the players) trying to "stick it to you" or any other fans. The fact of the matter is that in the entertainment industry, demand is what drives prices. If you continue to go, you are supporting the product and the system under which it works. If you cancel, you are saying you are not supporting it. Expecting that you should have it both ways isn't any more fair then the people who tell you off for having your thought process though.

However, the fact that there is a waitlist, means that there are still more fans willing to support it then the building has the capacity to hold. That is your barrier to exit, it isn't some insidious plot by owners, it is basic economic fact, which incidentally would suggest that ticket prices are 2 low, and the owners need to stop giving fans such a good deal, since demand is outpacing supply, in order for the market to reach equilibrium.

I am choked about the lockout, but in no way am I taking it personally. I am finding entertainment in other avenues. Perhaps by the time they come back, I will have found other, more efficient/effective ways to spend my entertainment dollars, but right now it hasn't changed anything.

As someone who is on the waitlist to get tickets, I personally hope that about 450 people in the level I am wiating on decide to cancel out of frustration. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I have decided that I am calling the flames early next week (well, that is if a hurricane doesn't wipe out all the power and phone service) and demanding some kind of remedy, such as a refund of money without being removed from place in the dome. This is just stupid, and it's time that fans started revolting against this kind of treatment.

So I have decided that I am calling the flames early next week (well, that is if a hurricane doesn't wipe out all the power and phone service) and demanding some kind of remedy, such as a refund of money without being removed from place in the dome. This is just stupid, and it's time that fans started revolting against this kind of treatment.

It sounds to me like you have a few things in common with Vicki on your view of the lockout CastleMania...

:lol:

Honestly I think the majority of hockey fans have gotten to the

meh.jpg

stage in the lockout. From that perspective it can become dangerous to keep it running. I am at a point where I find it all amusing as I gave up on this season when Fehr came in and basically ignored the league when the season ended.

Watching hopes and dreams be boyed and then smashed repeatedly is starting to get funny. Kinda like a 3 stooges movie (Owners, NHLPA, Rabid Fans) all 3 are playing the parts perfectly for my entertainment.

pretty soon though it's gonna start to get stale and then I will probably join the large and growing Meh crowd.

Honestly I think the majority of hockey fans have gotten to the

meh.jpg

stage in the lockout. From that perspective it can become dangerous to keep it running. I am at a point where I find it all amusing as I gave up on this season when Fehr came in and basically ignored the league when the season ended.

Watching hopes and dreams be boyed and then smashed repeatedly is starting to get funny. Kinda like a 3 stooges movie (Owners, NHLPA, Rabid Fans) all 3 are playing the parts perfectly for my entertainment.

pretty soon though it's gonna start to get stale and then I will probably join the large and growing Meh crowd.

I just want the money that the flames are holding hostage from me :angry:

Archived