Fan Reaction To A Lockout/work Stoppage

CastleMania

So with the lockout looming, how will/should the fan base react once the lockout occurs?

In the event of a lockout, it's not just owners and players that lose out. There are plenty of stakeholders who will lose out that don't even have a say in the bargaining process.

First there are the employees of NHL teams. These are people who make a modest living working for NHL teams. We are talking about ushers, concessionaires, ticket people, etc. Basically ordinary people like you and I.

Second there are those people who rely on the positive externalities generated by NHL teams. Sports teams are granted special privileges within cities because they generate city wide cash flows and generally create positive externalities. As a result, many groups rely on income generated as a result of these externalities. These groups include food vendors located near stadiums, parking providers, etc.

Third there are the fans. The fans are the people like you and I. When there is a work stoppage we are impacted for all the obvious reasons. We lose the sport we love, we lose the way many of us spend our leisure time, and ultimately many of us have to change our entire lifestyle.

So what do these three groups have in common? None of these groups have a voice in the boardrooms. That being said, we still have a voice, especially the fan base. So what do you plan to do if there is a lockout? Will you cancel your season tickets? Will you cancel your subscription to center ice/gamecenter? Will you stop buying team and player merchandise? Or will you continue on as if nothing is happening?

So there it is, what will you do?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what do you plan to do if there is a lockout? Will you cancel your season tickets? Will you cancel your subscription to center ice/gamecenter? Will you stop buying team and player merchandise? Or will you continue on as if nothing is happening?

So there it is, what will you do?

Well, we've already paid for season's tickets so there isn't anything that can be done next year. In a market like Calgary, it'd be irrelevant anyway, someone else would pay just as much. Plus I'd be punishing myself... I'd no longer get to watch hockey.

In Canada, it's a captive audience. There is really nothing at all that can be done.

No one likes these stoppages, but I accept that it is a business.

I am a hockey fan and when the NHL is back, I'll be watching it.

I'll probably get roasted for this but I don't take these things personally - they aren't locking out the players just to ruin my winter. I hate it. I want them to smarten up and get this done. But at the end of the day I am not going to sulk and punish myself in a vein and misguided attempt to punish them.

Well, we've already paid for season's tickets so there isn't anything that can be done next year. In a market like Calgary, it'd be irrelevant anyway, someone else would pay just as much. Plus I'd be punishing myself... I'd no longer get to watch hockey.

In Canada, it's a captive audience. There is really nothing at all that can be done.

I haven't "already paid" as I'm on the pay as we play plan, but I get your point. Although, if you have paid for a product and they don't provide it you may be able to cancel your seasons tickets for breach (admittedly, I haven't read the ticket contract and I don't have it with me in NY).

Ultimately though, I agree with you. Nothing I do will make a difference.

I haven't "already paid" as I'm on the pay as we play plan, but I get your point. Although, if you have paid for a product and they don't provide it you may be able to cancel your seasons tickets for breach (admittedly, I haven't read the ticket contract and I don't have it with me in NY).

Ultimately though, I agree with you. Nothing I do will make a difference.

You can cancel your tickets and get your money back.

But that doesn't punish the team (as there is a waiting list), it punishes me.

No one likes these stoppages, but I accept that it is a business.

I am a hockey fan and when the NHL is back, I'll be watching it.

I'll probably get roasted for this but I don't take these things personally - they aren't locking out the players just to ruin my winter. I hate it. I want them to smarten up and get this done. But at the end of the day I am not going to sulk and punish myself in a vein and misguided attempt to punish them.

I agree and disagree. While it is a business, professional sports are not the same as other businesses, nor should they be treated like other businesses. They are given benefits that other businesses don't receive and become much more a "part of the community" than other businesses.

That being said, I also "don't take these things personally." But I also don't agree with supporting a structure that doesn't take into account all of its stakeholders.

Am I going to cancel my season tickets? The answer is no and the reason is a collective action problem. However, if I was certain that other people would follow suit and cancel their tickets, subscriptions, and stop buying merchandise, then I probably would do the same. Again, I'm not going to because there is a collective action problem.

I guess, the point I'm ultimately trying to make is that, while the stakeholders I listed do not have a voice in the CBA negotiations, the fans at least have a voice. They can choose to use that voice or not.

My guess is that no matter how much the NHL takes its fans for granted, the fans will continue to support the league. I know I will :blush:

http://finance.sympatico.ca/home/nhl_may_not_bounce_back_if_season_lost/f1370bcb

Interesting article. Outside stakeholders are already starting to feel the damage of the looming lockout.

I caught that 1 in THN.

I won't lie to others nor myself. I'll complain & moan if there is a stoppage but my love of hockey overrides how POed I am @ both sides for causing this possibility.

Even as this crap is going on I've added to my collection of hockey related stuff. Some was given to me but I've continued to buy anything that struck my fancy.

I remain optimistic (that's just part of my psyche).

If there is a stoppage I'll have the '87 Canada Cup to tide me over as TSN is broadcasting that this week (& I'm PVRing all 3 Canada vs Commies games) added to the various DVDs like the '72 Summit Series.

I was given the '03 Heritage Classic last week so I've even got an outdoor game if needed.

I would like to say that I would boycott certain NHL merchandise but the reality is I will probably just buy NHL 13 and gm a season as the Flames while creating a pro player. I will watch a little Hurricanes hockey and I will get my beer swilling, nacho grubbing, wing eating butt out to the bars for NFL and CFL instead of hockey games. Maybe I will do more work around the house. My wife is praying for a lockout so she can have the big tv all winter...we argue about that a lot now.

Damn lockout might ruin my marriage :P

"A pox on thy loins"?

More than 2,000 years after Herod the Great succumbed at age 69, doctors have now settled on exactly what killed the king of ancient Judea... Chronic kidney disease complicated by a very uncomfortable case of maggot-infested gangrene of the genitals...

Now THAT is a pox!!! :blink:

I was very bitter after the last stoppage. I sort of overlooked that because both sides had issues that really needed fixing.

NHL side said we need a cap and that would be the fix. It didn't fix the owners who couldn't control their spending.

Player side wanted revenue sharing and they got it to some extent. It(the share) isn't healthy for the league and isn't working well.

The players were a total mess negotiating last time and can't keep their opinions to themselves again.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this will be a long one. Both sides are still digging the trenches for the lengthy battle.

It reminds me of parents going through a long divorce battle and not considering the kids.

This is bad for the game and neither side seems to be to considering the game.

To the surprise of everyone, I'm sure...I have a rather extreme opinion here :)

I don't expect anyone to jump on board with this, but it might cause some pause for thought.

My Pure, unabridaled love affair with the NHL ended the day that Al MacInnis signed a $1,000,000/year contract with the Calgary Flames, and the headlines reads "Million Dollar Baby". He was the first Flame to make 7 digits.

Calgary was not full of money at the time. My family was scraping by, and I think my Dad worked extra shifts so that I could play hockey. I also had some privy, at the time, to some of the goings-on with the Flames players. It was a known fact that MacInnis, although amazing, was in fact considered to be the most self-centered and self-entitled player on the team, and this was before the signing. To those who feel my comments are unjust...trust me, I'm holding back. I'm holding back a Lot.

He was, by all accounts, the classic example of a player that only played well when their contract depended on it. A player that would only compete internationally, when free agency was pending. Having this knowledge, but being young and impressionable, I was quite sure that he would not be paid this kind of money just because we was more demanding for it than players who were more deserving.

Well, I learned a big life lesson that day. Sometimes, nice guys do finish last. Sometimes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And sometimes, character doesn't determine your paycheck.

The Flame's salary structure changed overnight, as much better players on the team started to wonder why they were getting paid less. And our hopes of being a dynasty...ended. Just like that. It ended with MacInnis leaving...for yet More money, to become the 4th highest paid player in the NHL, on a crap team (for which he cared not).

I changed overnight too. I stopped loving the NHL, and I started loving hockey. The NHL was interesting, but I no longer felt I owed it anything. To this day, I cheer for the Flames. But I don't contribute to the salaries. No season tickets. No jersey. No pay per view. I watch the Flames for free. When the Red Mile happened, I'd pick up ladies, and it cost a lot less than paying for seats. Instead of watching every game, I'd go play some myself. Instead of getting pay per view, I'd pick it up at a bar and see my friends. Instead of paying for a jersey, I'd complement others on theirs. That's all they ever wanted when they bought it anyway.

And you know what? I'm no worse off for it. I've met more people and had more fun than I ever would have stuck in those seats. And I see Lots of Flames hockey.

The lockout? I could care less. I'll pick up some hitmen games, and I'll play in some old fart beer leagues. And I'll have a blast. It's not about the fact that there's a lineup of people waiting to take your seat. At some point, you have to look past that and ask yourself if You are getting your money's worth, and time's worth, by supporting bloated salaries in return for a chair.

Instead of season tickets, I get a yearly golf membership and I pay for dirt cheap beer leagues, complete with beer. and wings. and all the hockey I like.

At the end of the day, there has to be a more compelling reason for holding onto season tickets, than the fact that others are in line for them. People will line up for the Stupidest things. Furbies. Tickle me Elmos. Whatever.

We're going to have a great year, with or without the NHL. If they get their act together, I'll have fun with it. If they can't get their act together, I could care less. And by the end of the lockout, there will be a lot More people who could care less.

Well at first I was blaming this all on Bettman and even though I still side more with the players I now realize how much both sides are at fault. I just want hockey to continue. I really thought this would have been worked out by now, but since its not Im still gona watch hockey regaurdless.

First off if they do come to an agreement I will get the CI package so I can watch as much Flames hockey as possible. I wouldnt be able to just watch a game every once in a while on CBC and be satisfied. My other option is going to as many OHL or AHL games as I can to get my fix. These games are alot cheaper and alot of fun to watch the kids bust their chicken tikka masala to make the NHL.

If it is or isnt a full lockout season I will attend every Heat vs. Amerks game that I can, for this will be as close to Flames hockey as I can get without having to travel to another city.

BTW.. great post jigallow.Very deep, very true!

Thing is SW by stating that you would be buying the TV package regardless, shows both sides they are okay doing this.

To properly get a message to them you need to pull that carpet out from under them, with your wallet. Show the NHL that they are going to lose money if they don't start the season right quick. Show the players the revenues will go down and so will the salaries.

It(the wallet) is the only voice we have because they aren't listening to what we have to say.

+1 JJ

I know what you re saying DD, but at what point should I crack? I love watching Flames hockey, and I cant watch it going to a local bar in Buffalo. Not only that, does this mean I should never buy the package again and never watch Flames hockey? At somepoint Im gona buy it again weather it be this year or the next year or the year after that, so whats the point of make my self suffer by not watching my team?

You cant honestly tell me you re not gona watch another game or go to one to try to hurt the NHL wallet?

I hope you dont think theres gona be some kind of reveloution against all this because at somepoint when hockey returns we will be happy to watch our teams, go to games, and buy our teams merch. If the NHL does lose money this year they ll find a way to make it back the next year and we ll all be paying for it, you can count on it!

I'm scaring myself with the knowledge that I don't seem to care. My caring has dissipated heavily mainly due to both sides showing zero emphasis on the importance of AVOIDING this.

The owners don't care to do business in the current environment, the players don't care to make concessions.

Well, I don't care either.

There's a whole other world of hockey that deserves the support, so I'll enjoy that level of competitive hockey.

I am a hockey huge fan, and have been a Flames fan since the 80's, so I would love to watch a season this year but I am absolutely sick of the entire league and it's greed. As a business owner, I understand the need to make money, but I also understand the need to take care of your customers, in this case your ONLY customer. When it cost me $500 + to take my family to a game that in itself is a problem, but when the greed gets so bad the millionair/billionaires can't decide who gets what, its time for a change.

I would love to see the fans band together and simply stay out of the rinks for 1 full season whenever that season starts. Keep your season tickets if you want to hold your seats, the massive loss in revenue from walk up sales, parking, food, keepsakes, etc would make the point just fine. In the big picture it would not kill anyone to avoid the NHL for 1 season....get your hockey fix from Junior you might find its very good!

At the end of the day this is a business. They have a product we want and we buy it when its available, but we have the ultimate power of simply not buying the product if the price is too high.........and when the average joe cannot afford a game for his kids, the price is too high.

We need an organized group that lets the owners and the players know that we too are "locked out" but in our situtation we have all the chips. As a group we refuse to spend a penny until prices are cut in half accross the board. Once that is done, we're back, until then have a good look at our backs. Enough is enough!

I know what you re saying DD, but at what point should I crack? I love watching Flames hockey, and I cant watch it going to a local bar in Buffalo. Not only that, does this mean I should never buy the package again and never watch Flames hockey? At somepoint Im gona buy it again weather it be this year or the next year or the year after that, so whats the point of make my self suffer by not watching my team?

You cant honestly tell me you re not gona watch another game or go to one to try to hurt the NHL wallet?

I hope you dont think theres gona be some kind of reveloution against all this because at somepoint when hockey returns we will be happy to watch our teams, go to games, and buy our teams merch. If the NHL does lose money this year they ll find a way to make it back the next year and we ll all be paying for it, you can count on it!

I agree with you.

I am not happy aobut a lockout either. But I understand that it's a business. Also, both sides are going to lose financially.

Why should I punish myself as well?

jjgallow - good post and +1. I agree with what you're saying and I guess my opinion on it is that I am not married to the NHL, but I do like it and when it comes back I'll watch it again. Until then, I'll watch more junior and the AHL.

No worries - I don't feel that I need to make some big political statement to the league, I'll just wait until they come back. No biggie.

Archived