Holy Strawberry: Weber Signs Offer Sheet With Philly

FlamesLogic

Just saying, but the Preds can't trade Weber's rights now that he signed the offer sheet. Either NAshville matches it and keep Weber for at least a year or he signs in Philadelphia. There's no possible sign-and-trade here, it's the four firsts or Weber.

No, they can't trade him for a year.

But (except to those of you under the age of, say 21 or so) a year is not a long time.

The Preds HAVE to match. And they will get more back in a trade than what the picks are worth, IMO.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And why wouldnt he be happy playing in nashville for that kind of cash?

Money isn't everything and just throwing trainloads of cash at a disgruntled player isn't always the solution.

If Weber got pissed off from being taken to arbitration then he may not be happy playing there much longer. I don't know him and what he is thinking though.

What happens if he doesn't want to play there? Put your GM shoes on and ask yourself if you know he doesn't want to play there. That puts a whole new perspective on this situation.

Money isn't everything and just throwing trainloads of cash at a disgruntled player isn't always the solution.

If Weber got pissed off from being taken to arbitration then he may not be happy playing there much longer. I don't know him and what he is thinking though.

What happens if he doesn't want to play there? Put your GM shoes on and ask yourself if you know he doesn't want to play there. That puts a whole new perspective on this situation.

If I was Poile, I would still have to very strongly consider matching it, and then look at making a trade after next season...

After already losing Suter for nothing, also losing Weber for just picks would be devastating to the team... I do not think their fan base would be very happy if they do not match the offer either...

I said in an earlier post that the Preds should match and then trade him in a year.

But after seeing that the first year would cost the Preds $26m, that is obviously out of the question.

IMO, the Preds won't match and will have to settle for (what turns out to be) 4 1st round picks.

it's just two 1st a 2nd and a 3rd

The cap hit is less than what weber got last year.... No way nashvile's not matching this IMO.... Weber is much better than 2 late 1st one 2nd and a 3rd

Contracts over 5 years have a different rule (which I don't ahve time to quote) but it is 4 1st rounders

I said in an earlier post that the Preds should match and then trade him in a year.

But after seeing that the first year would cost the Preds $26m, that is obviously out of the question.

IMO, the Preds won't match and will have to settle for (what turns out to be) 4 1st round picks.

Contracts over 5 years have a different rule (which I don't ahve time to quote) but it is 4 1st rounders

Yea its a poison pill offer sheet.

They could just take him and keep him for the length of his career. They are trying to screw the preds, so the preds could just turn around and screw him right back.

I could still see them matching and trading him in a year. I figure they have spent at least the amount of the first year developing him and the losing him for nothing is terrible asset management. When/if they trade him, they are trading one of if not the best defenseman in the league for a friendly life time contract and could ask the world for that.

I could still see them matching and trading him in a year. I figure they have spent at least the amount of the first year developing him and the losing him for nothing is terrible asset management. When/if they trade him, they are trading one of if not the best defenseman in the league for a friendly life time contract and could ask the world for that.

4 first round picks does not = 0.

Losing Suter as a UFA = 0.

Having 2 picks in the 1st round gives options. Just think, Poile could use his own picks to meet the price if he decides to extend an offer sheet to some draft pick from 2-3 years ago that is hitting RFA. Make the offer July 1. Say a team has 2 the 1 not getting the OS will probably wait to see what happens to his teammate as a result. If the 1st OS is met the 2nd player can receive the same an hour later.

Interesting.

Is there proof Weber is disgruntled and wants out of Nashville? Is there a link to confirm this?

We've seen players sign RFA contract offers many times before and teams usually match them. If i'm not mistaken: Vanek, Penner, Backes, etc. Teams match and player happily stays. Just because a player signs an RFA offer doesn't mean they want to leave. It just means they want to stay for that kind of money.

Nashville has to match it.

Match it and then trade him in a year if you have to.

Except that that contract will make them pay him more then 50% of the total salary they spent last year for one year of service if they do what your suggesting. That's a lot of money for one player when money is an issue.

Nashville has to match it.

Match it and then trade him in a year if you have to.

Since Weber's contract will be heavily front loaded, most teams would not be interested in trading for Weber until 3 or 4 years from now. Nashville will be too committed to Weber from a financial stand point that they wouldn't have the money to surround him with the necessary talent to allow Nashville to be competitive.

Just take the 4 firsts. It's what we all thought he was worth anyways.

Is there proof Weber is disgruntled and wants out of Nashville? Is there a link to confirm this?

We've seen players sign RFA contract offers many times before and teams usually match them. If i'm not mistaken: Vanek, Penner, Backes, etc. Teams match and player happily stays. Just because a player signs an RFA offer doesn't mean they want to leave. It just means they want to stay for that kind of money.

My first thought was of NYR and Joe Sakic and that 1997 offer.

For those who don't remember it here is a summary from that time:

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/07/19/sakic-flashback/

I don't think Nashville will, or even needs to, match the offer.

When I think of David Poile, I see someone who sticks to his guns. He's not one to be taken hostage by an offer sheet (at least I don't think). Secondly, Nashville has a Detroit-like ability to draft and develop players. They should take the picks and run in the other direction.

My first thought was of NYR and Joe Sakic and that 1997 offer.

For those who don't remember it here is a summary from that time:

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/07/19/sakic-flashback/

We'll see what happens in the next few days. If Nashville matches and goes on to win the cup, good for them.

Send Paul H. a picture of Stone Cold Steve Austin flipping everyone off.

But the loss of Weber for 4 late 1st rounders will likely cause the Preds to lose money from memorabilia and team success. It would also put a big damper on the momentum the franchise has been gathering.

It's a tough call but four late 1st rounder doesn't equate to Weber's value.

Nope, it sure doesn't. But their options aren't good:

If they don't match, they get 4 late 1sts.

If they match, it costs them $26m for one year of (a presumably less than happy) Weber, plus whatever they get in trade. It would have to be an awful lot to be worth more than 4 1sts + $26m.

No matter what they do, it is pure strawberry for Nashville.

Peeps: haven't seen anything that actually says Weber is disgruntled, but after his and his agent's comments about wanting to be on a winning organization, and his comments about not being happy that they lost Suter, I would say that, emotionally, his time is up in Nashville.

They could just take him and keep him for the length of his career. They are trying to screw the preds, so the preds could just turn around and screw him right back.

If you were the owners, how keen would you be to pay a disgruntled employee $110 million?

But the loss of Weber for 4 late 1st rounders will likely cause the Preds to lose money from memorabilia and team success. It would also put a big damper on the momentum the franchise has been gathering.

It's a tough call but four late 1st rounder doesn't equate to Weber's value.

Even if they made $100 per jersey (which I doubt), the first year of the contract alone would be a quarter of a million jerseys - above and beyond what they will sell regardless. That's a lot of memorabilia (I know, I am ignoring potential playoff games, just making a point)

Further to what $26m means to the Nashville Predators:

2010 total gate receipts: $25m

Forbes

Flyerfan52: are you going to get a Weber jersey?

Hell, if Weber does end up in O & B, I will get a jersey...

While I will admit, I do not like offer sheets, I hope Weber does end up a member of the Flyers for a few reasons...

First, I liked the Flyers going back to the Broad street Bullies days, and I started to re-adopt them last season as a second team... I followed them more closely as the season went on, and as FF52 could tell you, I was cheering them on during the playoff run...

Secondly, I do not like the Preds, and any moves that weaken the team only increase the chances of the Flames making, and progressing in the playoffs...

I also will say that those that think that the Preds will not be able to match the offer sheet are most likely right... But again, I just do not like the idea of of how offer sheets can work... One of the reasons is due to the affect of how they further drive up the market value on marquis players and consequently the more average players which is part of what led up to the lockout, and will only serve to complicate the current CBA bargaining sessions...

Comon guys as exciting as this offer sheet is, the reality is that Weber will remain a pred as poile will NOT let him go.. he did that with scott stevens and unless philly throws in b.schenn and coutierer instead of these 1st's then it might sweeten the deal. but 4 firsts for a guy who is currently a 2 time norris finalist and brings something special to the table its just dumb for Polie not to match.

Remember the Preds wanted to sign Shea anyways just might not be in the exact ballpark that they wanted. Shea wouldve been smarter to sign a 1 yr deal then go UFA.

But correct me if im wrong here, even if Polie matches the offer shea still has to agree, if he doesnt he can not play in the league for this year without a contract (but if the CBA shortens or even cancels the season) then does Shea not become a UFA? So is this really in Polies court or Shea's?

Comon guys as exciting as this offer sheet is, the reality is that Weber will remain a pred as poile will NOT let him go.. he did that with scott stevens and unless philly throws in b.schenn and coutierer instead of these 1st's then it might sweeten the deal. but 4 firsts for a guy who is currently a 2 time norris finalist and brings something special to the table its just dumb for Polie not to match.

Remember the Preds wanted to sign Shea anyways just might not be in the exact ballpark that they wanted. Shea wouldve been smarter to sign a 1 yr deal then go UFA.

But correct me if im wrong here, even if Polie matches the offer shea still has to agree, if he doesnt he can not play in the league for this year without a contract (but if the CBA shortens or even cancels the season) then does Shea not become a UFA? So is this really in Polies court or Shea's?

An offer sheet isn't the same thing as a trade, Philly can't swap players for picks to make it a better "deal" so the preds don't match. Compensation is picks.

I think he probably originally was going to do a one year deal but then when talks leaned towards the new CBA having contract limits and possibly no signing bonus then I think he realized he had to jump at the chance now.

Weber isn't in control of the contract if Poile matches, if Poile mathces the offer sheet then Weber is under contract with the Preds under that contract. He has no choice.

An offer sheet isn't the same thing as a trade, Philly can't swap players for picks to make it a better "deal" so the preds don't match. Compensation is picks.

I think he probably originally was going to do a one year deal but then when talks leaned towards the new CBA having contract limits and possibly no signing bonus then I think he realized he had to jump at the chance now.

Weber isn't in control of the contract if Poile matches, if Poile mathces the offer sheet then Weber is under contract with the Preds under that contract. He has no choice.

I was under the assumption that Philly and Nash can still talk about players over picks for compensation? I was not aware once an offer sheet is submitted its 4 first rounders and thats it?

I understand that Webs wanted to sign a mega deal before the CBA pretty much shuts down contract lengths to no longer than 6-7 years most likely. But you HAVE to know your taking the risks of still staying in Nashville unless talks behind closed doors with Weber/Nashville/Philly have more than we know behind it.

And i did not know once you sign an offer sheet if your current club matches you are technically already signed with them.. So then i do believe Weber will stay a pred for a few years to come now.

Archived