Holy Strawberry: Weber Signs Offer Sheet With Philly

FlamesLogic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400969

7.15M cap hit, cant complain about that in light of suter signing.

If Nashville doesnt match it that really opens up another playoff spot for us.

2 first rounders +2 +3 and a major contract. Big gamble for philly but if nashville is serious about weber its hard not to see them matching at those numbers

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoiks!

No way Preds match that because Weber doesn't wanna stay in Nashville that long. Unless one of the reported interested trade partners swoops in and tells Poile to match it so they can trade, I'd say Weber is as good as gone to Phillie.

Flyers are gonna be monstrous.

it's just two 1st a 2nd and a 3rd

The cap hit is less than what weber got last year.... No way nashvile's not matching this IMO.... Weber is much better than 2 late 1st one 2nd and a 3rd

26 million in the first two seasons of Weber's contract, probably a lot of it as signing bonuses and the pending lockout...

Weber is under contract for another year. I understood offer sheets were for RFAs at the

end of their contract. Anybody able to set me straight? I am confused...

Edit: My mistake. Capgeek disagrees with me. I'm with Capgeek on this one!

..If Preds match the offer sheet, surely he is tied to them under the terms of the contract offered by Philly. This may be the only way they get ti tie him up. Again, I am doubting my understanding of offer sheets but if Weber has signed the sheet he's effectively agreed to tge contract and is bound to Preds under those same terms if they match it.

Just about fell out of my chair when I logged on and saw the big story on the front page.

I have no idea whether they'll match or not, but wow, that's what I call a blockbuster deal. And if he does go, I really feel for Nashville's fans and the organization itself. That's just extremely rough having two of your best players jump ship after all the work they put into building that team into a contender. Just brutal.

As the Preds, I am not thrilled with the compensation of 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd (presumably very late picks).

What I would do is sit down with Weber and ask him if he wants to stay. If he does, then I match, no problem. If he doesn't, then I ask him if Philly is his desired location or if he is open to going to a few different teams. Because what I think is best for Nashville is to match, then trade him for a better package than those picks.

Kind of bizarre on Philly's part to structure the deal so as to keep the compensation that low - it pretty much forces Nash to match. Whereas if it was 4 1sts, they might think about taking the picks and running. No way they can do that for these picks though.

I think everyone is missing what is happening here. By giving him an offer sheet, the Flyers have effectively given Weber all the cards. I believe that Weber still wants to stay in Nashville to a certain extent, but knowing how Nashville is with $$$, they weren't going to sign him to a 14 year $110 million deal. But now that Weber has signed an offer sheet with Philly, the preds aren't really going to have a choice. Either sign him to that massive deal, or let him walk for 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third.

Considering the deal that Suter just signed, this contract actually looks relatively reasonable. I'd be surprised if Nashville doesn't match the contract. As some have said, I think Weber's value is higher than what the offer sheet will offer. We could even end up seeing Nashville sign Weber and turn around and trade him to Philly for more than what Philly would have given up on offer sheets.

As the Preds, I am not thrilled with the compensation of 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd (presumably very late picks).

What I would do is sit down with Weber and ask him if he wants to stay. If he does, then I match, no problem. If he doesn't, then I ask him if Philly is his desired location or if he is open to going to a few different teams. Because what I think is best for Nashville is to match, then trade him for a better package than those picks.

Kind of bizarre on Philly's part to structure the deal so as to keep the compensation that low - it pretty much forces Nash to match. Whereas if it was 4 1sts, they might think about taking the picks and running. No way they can do that for these picks though.

The only way to really explain this is that Weber wants to stay in Nashville and he is also happy going to Philly.

This would seem to be the best choice for the Preds at this point...

I don't think Weber signed this offer sheet to get Poile forced into putting up the money and remain in Nashville. I believe he signed this and is hoping for it not to be matched. He gets his pay day and joins a contending team.

For Nashville it's not good for the fan base. Just as things started to get over that hump it all comes crashing down and back to square one. But that's going to be the issues facing smaller market teams with self imposed caps unless the contract limit is employed in the new CBA.

For the Flyers. It has to be all good news for them. You gain an elite right handed shot defenseman to join an already solid group. That group also has plenty of players in the better parts of the age bracket and some solid youth, so they can afford the compensation.

Actually I believe the compensation will be four firsts now. The compensation uses average annual value but it also puts a limit of 5 years on the calculation.

Im not sure if that means it uses the dollars over the first 5 years as the calculation or the entire value over the 5 years.

Either way its 4 firsts though as Weber is set to reportedly get over 11 mil a year in the first 6 years.

As you could expect, I'm excited as heck! 1 of the only 2 defense in the league capable of filling Pronger's skates.

Guys like Dreger as tweeting (twittering?) that the compensation is definitely 4 1st rounders if Nashville doesn't match. Something to do with the massive front load/bonuses involved.

This also prevents any other team from landing him so he'll be a Pred or Flyer for @ least the next year. If Nashville matches they can't trade Weber for a year.

I'm of the belief Poile & Homer will work out a trade instead of the OS since Weber is now a safe signing for the Flyers. I'll guess a current d-man & a young roster forward (Couturier, Schenn, Varacek or Simmonds) for the present & 2 1sts for the future.

Just saying, but the Preds can't trade Weber's rights now that he signed the offer sheet. Either NAshville matches it and keep Weber for at least a year or he signs in Philadelphia. There's no possible sign-and-trade here, it's the four firsts or Weber.

Zoiks!

No way Preds match that because Weber doesn't wanna stay in Nashville that long. Unless one of the reported interested trade partners swoops in and tells Poile to match it so they can trade, I'd say Weber is as good as gone to Phillie.

Flyers are gonna be monstrous.

The Preds have already stated they intend to match. They could care less if he wants to stay in Nashville or not, he signed the contract and they have a right to match it. Also Weber cannot be traded within the first year of his contract now.

it's just two 1st a 2nd and a 3rd

The cap hit is less than what weber got last year.... No way nashvile's not matching this IMO.... Weber is much better than 2 late 1st one 2nd and a 3rd

Wrong it has been confirmed that it is 4 first round picks. Cap is now calculated with the 5 greatest years having the biggest weight.

Actually I believe the compensation will be four firsts now. The compensation uses average annual value but it also puts a limit of 5 years on the calculation.

Close enough. Its the 5 greatest years that have the biggest weight in the calculations.

The Preds have already stated their intention to match. They will drag it out to the last moment though to give an FU to the Flyers though.

The Preds have already stated they intend to match. They could care less if he wants to stay in Nashville or not, he signed the contract and they have a right to match it. Also Weber cannot be traded within the first year of his contract now.

Wrong it has been confirmed that it is 4 first round picks. Cap is now calculated with the 5 greatest years having the biggest weight.

Close enough. Its the 5 greatest years that have the biggest weight in the calculations.

The Preds have already stated their intention to match. They will drag it out to the last moment though to give an FU to the Flyers though.

I agree they match, and quite frankly, Weber wouldn't have signed the offer sheet unless he was ok with staying in Nashville.

Or Weber (Isn't he a part of the player negotiations?) decided he had better get one of the last big offers allowed, before they close down all those loaded and lengthy contracts.

He cashed in alright. I can't believe he'll out make Crobsy in the first few years. Sigh, money is just getting thrown around like its just paper. Good thing Feaster is getting us good value signings and not over paying lengthy contracts like um say Vancouver's Garrison signing. That signing is an absolute joke.

Or Weber (Isn't he a part of the player negotiations?) decided he had better get one of the last big offers allowed, before they close down all those loaded and lengthy contracts.

Again, even if he is trying to get one of the last big offers, he must still be ok with staying in Nashville in order to sign the offer sheet.

And why wouldnt he be happy playing in nashville for that kind of cash?

(1) Weber would get that type of money no matter where he played.

(2) Nashville's team has been absolutely decimated over the course of the last month.

(3) 14 years will amount to the rest of Weber's career.

There are plenty of reasons why he wouldn't want to play in Nashville for that type of money.

Archived