Comeau

Jackman

and on LW we have

Tanguay

Cammalleri

Glencross

Baertschi

Bouma

even if Cammalleri moves to center we still have a legit top 9 winger sitting out.

Comeau may be another bust on his single year contract. Jackman has 2 years to go. Between the Flames roster along with the prospects, there isn't much to choose from with RW's. Injuries happen and as far as I can see, we have an excess of LW's and a few less Centers in the system, but not much to choose from for the RW other than Aliu and Eddy.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't light on RW anymore.

Iginla

Hudler

Stempniak

Comeau

Jackman

Hudler is generally thought of as a LW, and shoots left. Not that it really matters, its not that different playing your off wing. Some guys even prefer it. Not a big deal though, minor difference.

Getting Hudler or Cervenka to play centre is a much bigger jump than a LW playing on the right side.

Why Kubina? 35 year old defense. Is that a 3/4 replacement? <_<

Yes actually. More depth and competition on D, flexible option if JBo leaves, mentor for Brodie and Butler and very smart player with winning pedigree. Granted now with us so close to the cap it would only make sense if we traded Jbo so it is a catch twenty two. When I say I'm surprised it hasn't happened I also surprised by the Stempniak and Sarich signing though they made sense to a degree as well. The offseason moves weren't what I thought, not in a bad way just different.

I was thinking along the same lines but it's food for thought. I like hearing/sharing different perspectives. I posted it cause of the Semin reference. I wouldn't be surprised if Feater pursued him

The roster is a little light on the RW. There doesn't seem to be much speculation around Calgary landing him, but Feaster has been known to operate outside the analyst rants.

Come to think of it... You guys could be right...

Maybe Feaster is thinking Semin could play at center... :unsure:

What if we send an offer sheet to Jamie Benn? Can play center and I believe plays right wing as well. That adds toughness, how much would it need to be for or could we trade to acquire his rights? Jbow and tanguay for rights?

No,

You will have to pry him out of nieuwys cold dead hands cause that is the only way you will get him... Benn is superstar material and dallas needs him... You have better chances of getting malkin or crosby

No,

You will have to pry him out of nieuwys cold dead hands cause that is the only way you will get him... Benn is superstar material and dallas needs him... You have better chances of getting malkin or crosby

Not comparing him to malkin or crosby but im saying dallas thinks of him in that light... Hes untouchable

Come to think of it... You guys could be right...

Actually what I was worried about too. That said its hard to know what Feaster is planning only if he does come here I think that means Baertchi doesn't make the team, or one two of Cammy, Tangs,Glenx, Iggy, Comeau, Stemps are gone/going. We have a lot of high end talent now, it's just really unfortunate that it's not more evenly distributed in each position

Actually what I was worried about too. That said its hard to know what Feaster is planning only if he does come here I think that means Baertchi doesn't make the team, or one two of Cammy, Tangs,Glenx, Iggy, Comeau, Stemps are gone/going. We have a lot of high end talent now, it's just really unfortunate that it's not more evenly distributed in each position

I think that step was signed as a price to trade away. Package him with Jay and Stajan and u got a fairly decent package for a center and another top 4 dman.

I think that step was signed as a price to trade away. Package him with Jay and Stajan and u got a fairly decent package for a center and another top 4 dman.

That makes sense... However we should be weary... Signing or acquiring players the trading them away doesn't help your image... And i feel like right now we are seen as the team thats a revolving door of players...

Moves are good but too many can hurt you...

Its a catch 22... Just makes me realize how much i would hate to be in feasters position... Way to many tough choices... Itll take mastermind to sort through this... We have the good the bad and the ugly all wrapped up and one team... I wanna say its a mess but that would imply its all bad... Theres alot of good to this team too... Which makes this even messier

You can never have to much high end talent...

I doubt semin would be used as a center but i think he could be successful in such a role... He wants more responsibility and more of a spotlight so he would probably enjoy taking on a center role(insert laughter here)

Hes got all the tools to play anywhere on the ice speed agility soft soft soft hands an insanely sneaky and sick wrister... He could play any position... If he felt like trying...

Feaster's next move to list Kipper as a centre.

I really don't understand how all these guys get rebranded as centres when they've never played the position regularly in the NHL. Cammy, Cervenka, Hudler. None are real centres. But on this team, that's our centre core! :unsure:

I really don't understand how all these guys get rebranded as centres when they've never played the position regularly in the NHL. Cammy, Cervenka, Hudler. None are real centres. But on this team, that's our centre core! :unsure:

If you believe it to be true, it is the truth.

Your posts are so frustrating to read sometimes. Get over the Cervenka thing already. His natural position is Centre. People overseas that watch him play, say he's a Centre. Feaster & Weisbrod (who in my opinion are smarter hockey people than you), say he's a Centre. But, noooooo wait a min... geos says he's not really & most likely will be a flop before he even hits the ice here. :rolleyes: So f'ing what if he hasn't played C in the NHL yet. Is a guy drafted out of the juniors destined to be a flop because he hasn't played C in the NHL yet? What a dumb thing to say. I agree that it's not ideal to move Cammy to C... or Hudler (who will most likely be playing RW) but, you're just trying to make it seem like a disaster and it's not.

Your posts are so frustrating to read sometimes. Get over the Cervenka thing already. His natural position is Centre. People overseas that watch him play, say he's a Centre.

No, he was for a brief time in the Czech league, which is extremely low talent and on big ice. He couldn't cut centre in the KHL on big ice, and now he's going to need to be twice as physical on small ice playing a role he couldn't handle in the K.

Is it possible he succeeds, sure, but it's hardly a given that he's a ready-to-go top 6 centre.

Feaster & Weisbrod (who in my opinion are smarter hockey people than you), say he's a Centre.

Weisbrod yes. That's why I said I have some hope.

But, noooooo wait a min... geos says he's not really & most likely will be a flop before he even hits the ice here. :rolleyes: So f'ing what if he hasn't played C in the NHL yet. Is a guy drafted out of the juniors destined to be a flop because he hasn't played C in the NHL yet? What a dumb thing to say. I agree that it's not ideal to move Cammy to C... or Hudler (who will most likely be playing RW) but, you're just trying to make it seem like a disaster and it's not.

Yes, it is a disaster. You people just don't seem to get reality. You don't build playoffs teams on the hope that if every single player pans out to max potential you might squeek into eighth.

The big disaster was letting Joker walk. We no longer have a top 6 centre. That is a reality. No one on this team has been a regular top 6 NHL centre. You can't argue with that, it is truth. We have hopes and dreams for some of these guys, but teams are lucky when their gambles pay off 50% of the time.

That's the disaster. We've given up a servicable #1 centre for free and replaced him with a questionable overseas player and wingers that we hope to convert despite not having signficant success in the NHL in that role. That's brutal. That's the disaster. It's not that Cervenka will be a flop, but your expectations are far too high.

I view Cervenka a success if he stays in the line up for the whole season and puts up 25-30 points. That'd be a good outcome considering other KHL guys that have come across. It's not easy to make that transition.

And if you've ever played hockey, you can only imagine going from the wing on international ice to centre in a much more physical league on smaller ice. It'd be a huge transition. And Cervenka is not a huge guy.

Yes, it is a disaster. You people just don't seem to get reality. You don't build playoffs teams on the hope that if every single player pans out to max potential you might squeek into eighth.

The big disaster was letting Joker walk. We no longer have a top 6 centre. That is a reality. No one on this team has been a regular top 6 NHL centre. You can't argue with that, it is truth. We have hopes and dreams for some of these guys, but teams are lucky when their gambles pay off 50% of the time.

That's the disaster. We've given up a servicable #1 centre for free and replaced him with a questionable overseas player and wingers that we hope to convert despite not having signficant success in the NHL in that role. That's brutal. That's the disaster. It's not that Cervenka will be a flop, but your expectations are far too high.

I view Cervenka a success if he stays in the line up for the whole season and puts up 25-30 points. That'd be a good outcome considering other KHL guys that have come across. It's not easy to make that transition.

And if you've ever played hockey, you can only imagine going from the wing on international ice to centre in a much more physical league on smaller ice. It'd be a huge transition. And Cervenka is not a huge guy.

You people...first off, its a forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including you, settle down.

Second, we are all fans here. Its a discussion, not a riot.

Thirdly, Sometimes moves have to be made. Letting Joker walk is the start of a face change for the Organization. The same thing happened with Regher. Most people didn't want it, but rosters need to change. Look at Thornton from Boston to San Jose, and Niewy from the Calgary to Dallas. The reality is it will happen with Kipper and Iggy too. Joker hasn't been "Replaced". The position still remains open.

Roman is a pretty hefty dude. Height wise, he's average, but he cracks 200 lbs (9 lbs lighter than Joker), so the guy isn't tiny. His transition will take time, and he has support with his other linemates. Hudler, Iggy, and Hartley aren't going to let him drown. I'll go out on limb here and say Roman Cervenka isnt just some young wide eyed prospect. The guy can play hockey, well, and understands there will be differences. Just saying...

As for the number one center, you just can't go out and expect one will fall in your lap. It takes patience, and comes through opportunities with teams needing to tweak their lines throughout the year, through the draft with trades, and through the urgency of the trade deadlines and UFA. There will be one. When? Let Feaster work on it. Its still July.

As for the number one center, you just can't go out and expect one will fall in your lap.

We had one and instead chose to sign a selection of questionable wingers. It's not even a question of Hudler or Joker. We could have cleared enough Cap easily by not signing Stempniak (who doesn't really fit).

I had issues with Joker too and he's not a long-term solution. But for $4.5 or $5M for 2 years, it was stupid not to go down that path.

That's my beef. We're setting up Cervenka (and to some extend Backlund) for failure because there just is no centre depth at all. While Cervenka might in the long run have some success at that position in the NHL, having a #1 centre to take the pressure off is definitely preferable. It's also preferable to use Cammy and Hudler where they are most productive... which at on the wing... rather than trying to change their game to fit a centre role.

That's my premise.

We had one and instead chose to sign a selection of questionable wingers. It's not even a question of Hudler or Joker. We could have cleared enough Cap easily by not signing Stempniak (who doesn't really fit).

I had issues with Joker too and he's not a long-term solution. But for $4.5 or $5M for 2 years, it was stupid not to go down that path.

That's my beef. We're setting up Cervenka (and to some extend Backlund) for failure because there just is no centre depth at all. While Cervenka might in the long run have some success at that position in the NHL, having a #1 centre to take the pressure off is definitely preferable. It's also preferable to use Cammy and Hudler where they are most productive... which at on the wing... rather than trying to change their game to fit a centre role.

That's my premise.

No one in the Flames organization has said that the #1C position is filled. It isn't written, spoken, or stamped anywhere. It is all speculation. It's great that is your premise, but the point is the position has not been filled.

No, he was for a brief time in the Czech league, which is extremely low talent and on big ice. He couldn't cut centre in the KHL on big ice, and now he's going to need to be twice as physical on small ice playing a role he couldn't handle in the K.

Is it possible he succeeds, sure, but it's hardly a given that he's a ready-to-go top 6 centre.

Weisbrod yes. That's why I said I have some hope.

Perhaps I am a little tough on you Geos. I do find it hard to agree with you on certain things though.

I don't think it's fair to assume someone will not have success because of their size & where they came from. There's alot of current/former NHL'ers playing/played in the K. It's not some pond hockey league.

I am going to stay causiouly optimistic about this whole upcoming season. I have no idea what's going to happen but, it doesn't seem as bleak as the picture you paint. I'm pretty sure Feaster said there were going to be more moves before the season so, maybe we will see C solidified by then.

I am going to stay causiouly optimistic about this whole upcoming season.

I am optimistic about elements as well. If we had a real NHL centre though, I think there would be enough reason to be really optimistic. If we had retained Joker, we'd have a 60pt centre and Cammy wouldn't have to play centre and likely would produce more. It also would put less pressure on Cervenka and Backlund to fill those #2 and #3 roles if production was solid from the top.

I'm 1 of those that thinks we should have kept Joker but that possibility is long gone.

We can decide to support what we do have (while hoping it will be improved before the 1st regular season puck drops) or curl up in a ball & concede. I refuse to do the latter so I guess I'll hope the experiment pays off.

Anyway, the moves since July 1 have shifted the balance of power in every division so I think this might be a busy summer for trades.

A lot of teams might look a lot different by the end of the summer. Even the looming new CBA leaves teams more reason to take daring chances because of the uncertainty. (About the only guarantees are the BJs expecting a mother lode for Nash, Canucks expecting the same for Luongo & the Oilers drafting another forward with their lottery pick :) )

What if we send an offer sheet to Jamie Benn? Can play center and I believe plays right wing as well. That adds toughness, how much would it need to be for or could we trade to acquire his rights? Jbow and tanguay for rights?

I like your suggestion, actually.

I think Jamie Benn is emerging as a fantastic center.

He's an RFA, the cost would be huge. But, sometimes you have to buck up.

Here's the problem: Jamie Benn is about to emerge. With what we would have to trade to get him, we wouldn't have anyone left for him to pass to (we don't have that much elite talent now).

I like your idea and I'm surprised I'm the only one that likes it.

But, my perspective: He was drafted in the 5th round. In order to acquire him, the Flames would have to incur an overall drop in talent. That's just the price you pay for an RFA.

Draft better. It's a lengthy process, but we had every opportunity to acquire Jamie Benn in 2007, and we passed him over.

Why? Cause we've sucked at drafting for a long time.

The Flames are already doing the right thing by beefing up their scouting staff and making better selections, and implementing Long-Term strategies, at the draft.

Jankowski may be our answer. Even Granlund could (doesn't look like this year).

Give it time. It will be worth it.

Here's the problem: Jamie Benn is about to emerge. With what we would have to trade to get him, we wouldn't have anyone left for him to pass to (we don't have that much elite talent now).

But, my perspective: He was drafted in the 5th round. In order to acquire him, the Flames would have to incur an overall drop in talent. That's just the price you pay for an RFA.

Draft better. It's a lengthy process, but we had every opportunity to acquire Jamie Benn in 2007, and we passed him over.

The Flames are already doing the right thing by beefing up their scouting staff and making better selections, and implementing Long-Term strategies, at the draft.

Your not getting jamie benn... Just not even a remote possibility... Good idea but it wont work

1) you're not the only one that likes the idea, but people understand that there isn't a chance in hell that Dallas doesn't match - so it's a waste of time to even bother discussing.

2) what ???

3) he's a 5th rounder and we passed on him so we suck at drafting... by that argument, EVERY team in the league - INCLUDING Dallas - also sucks at drafting. (though I agree that - regardless of your ridiculous argument - the Flames di suck at drafting for a time)

1) you're not the only one that likes the idea, but people understand that there isn't a chance in hell that Dallas doesn't match - so it's a waste of time to even bother discussing.

Then...why haven't you liked it? There's a Like button on the bottom right hand side of every post.

Yeah, there is a chance we could get him. It has nothing to do with matching, in the end. It ultimately depends on what Dallas is getting in return. But that, and not whether they match, is the problem. It is Always the problem.

2) what ???

In otherwords, it's a lot to pay for a fifth-rounder. When we could just draft better. Does the sentence structure Really matter that much? Is this getting published somewhere?

3) he's a 5th rounder and we passed on him so we suck at drafting... by that argument, EVERY team in the league - INCLUDING Dallas - also sucks at drafting. (though I agree that - regardless of your ridiculous argument - the Flames di suck at drafting for a time)

You insult people you agree with a lot? Glad I didn't post something you disagreed with. I didn't say that every team passed on him because they suck at drafting. I said that WE passed on him because we suck at drafting. Obviously Benn was a risk in 2007. Other teams took risks, and lost. Dallas took a risk, and won. We refused to take any risk at all, because we suck at drafting. We stuck to players with low ceilings and high likelihood of playing in the AHL. We Ensured for ourselves that there was No chance of drafting a player like this. And no...not every team in the NHL did this.

That's my premise.

So what, your just going to cry about Oli all season long? the guy didnt help this team get anywhere, time to move on and try something else. I would rather try an unknown commodity then stick with a player that has only seen playoff hockey once in over a decade of hockey. Oli is not a winner, and the flames have not been a better team with him the last 3 years!

Archived