Laurent Brossoit - Goalie

I figured Laurent Brossoit deserves some recognition on his success this year with the Edmonton Oil Kings breaking franchise records with ease.

He's in his 4th year with the Edmonton Oil Kings, so with the backlog of goalies right now will we see him in the AHL come next season?

Brossoit_Laurent1428.JPG

Laurent Brossoit

Goaltender

Name: Laurent Brossoit

Number: 31

Position: Goaltender

Shoots/Catches: Left

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 200

Birthdate: 1993-03-23

Hometown: Surrey, BC

Regular Season

GP GAA SV% W L OTL SOL SO

61 2.47 0.914 42 13 2 3 3

Playoffs

GP GAA SV% W L OTL SOL SO

20 2.04 0.933 16 4 0 0 2

Brossoit named WHL Championship series MVP

EDMONTON, AB -- After the Edmonton Oil Kings claimed the WHL Championship on Sunday night with a 4-1 win over the Portland Winterhawks, netminder Laurent Brossoit was named the series MVP.

"It's a dream come true," the Flames prospect told the assembled media. "You never really think about what it would feel like to be in this position. Now I have and I couldn't even put it into words and explain it to you guys.

"It's honestly just amazing."

Portland's torrid offence was the greatest challenge Brossoit faced in the WHL playoffs. The Winterhawks forward lineup boasts the top three scoring leaders in the WHL postseason with Sven Baertschi, Ty Rattie and Marcel Noebels and they routinely put 25+ shots on Brossoit.

However, in Game 7, the Oil Kings tightened up defensively and absolutely smothered the Winterhawks in all three zones. Brossoit only faced 20 shots on Sunday night - his lightest workload since Game 4 of the first round when the Kootenay Ice managed just 15 shots on net.

"My team played amazing for me," Brossoit told CBC afterwards. "Defensively, I thought it was our best game of the series.

"I had to make some easy saves and that's what it was. It was a team game and we won as a team."

The 19 year-old has been rock solid for the Oil Kings throughout the regular season and playoffs. He set a new career-high in wins with a 42-13-5 record during the 2011-12 campaign, posting a 2.47 GAA and a .914 save percentage. In 20 playoff appearances, Brossoit went 16-4-0 with two shutouts to his name. Heading into the Memorial Cup tournament, his postseason GAA sits at 2.04 while his save percentage is .933.

The Flames selected Brossoit in the sixth round (164th overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft.

Brossoit & the Oil Kings win the 2012 WHL Championship

EDMONTON, AB -- The Edmonton Oil Kings captured the Ed Chynoweth Cup as WHL champions, defeating the Portland Winterhawks 4-1 in Game 7 of the 2012 WHL Championship series on Sunday at Rexall Place in Edmonton, AB.

Laurent Brossoit turned in a 19-save effort for the Oil Kings in the victory. The 19-year-old from Surrey B.C., posted a 2.82 goals-against average and a .910 save percentage over the seven-game series to earn the MVP of the WHL Championship series.

“I’m speechless…it’s just such a good feeling, and I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts,” Brossoit told SHAW’s Andy Neal. “(Getting the MVP) is the icing on the cake. We played such a great game, defensively, that I didn’t really have to do much tonight…we win as a team.”

It’s the first WHL championship for the modern incarnation of the Oil Kings in their five-year existence, and the first championship for an Edmonton-based franchise since the original Oil Kings won back-to-back titles in 1971 and ’72. That Oil Kings franchise would eventually relocate to Portland to become the Winterhawks.

The Oil Kings will now head to Shawinigan, QC, to represent the WHL at the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup. The Oil Kings will join the host Shawinigan Cataractes, the OHL champion London Knights and the QMJHL champion and defending Memorial Cup champion Saint John Sea Dogs at the tournament, which begins on Friday.

Laurent looks like Rinne can't wait to see how he develops

That's exactly what I have said as well. His technical movements are excellent and he stays square to the puck as well as an NHL goalie. As a result, he makes it look easy - very much like Rinne.

Cross is exactly right. Don't rush him (you can't really anyway as he can't go to the A), let him have his 19 year-old year in the league. Let him gain confidence and continue to develop. Hopefully his play in the playoffs will garner the attention needed to get him in the discussions for the World Jrs next year. It would be awesome to have a Flame in net for Canada.

By the way, Granlund and Gaudreau are givens for the tourney. Brossoit would be awesome. And with his solid play in the palyoffs, plus the fact that he'll probably be playing with Seth Jones next year, there is a chance (he's not a big point getter, so only a small chance, but still a chance) that we could see Wotherspoon there as well. It will depend how many of the kids in this year's class graduate (unlikley that enough will, but you never know)

• 2 weeks later...

After a great regular season and WHL playoffs he is falling a part in the Memorial Cup. So far he has let in 3-goals on 11-shots in the survival game and he wasn't great in the first 3.

Part of the development. But not a great way to finish the season.

EDIT: Make that 4-goals on 12-shots.

I place the majority of the blame on Brossoit for the Oil Kings' weak showing at the Memorial Cup.

I find that it's more like the entire team has imploded.

Realistically, you'd assume they used up most of their energy in the grueling series against Portland. This is the aftereffects of having a listless team combined with a goalie who has only been normal.

Broisoit hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been as good as his playoff run and he isn't exactly being bailed out by his teammates. Everyone looks tired out there. I hate to say it but if it comes down to Shawinigan vs Edmonton for the final spot, Shawi is probably going to nab it.

I also feel like this is a strangely worded sentence. Are you trying to take another dig at the Flame prospect pool? Not everyone can land the top pick in every round 3 times in a row.

I find that it's more like the entire team has imploded.

Realistically, you'd assume they used up most of their energy in the grueling series against Portland. This is the aftereffects of having a listless team combined with a goalie who has only been normal.

Broisoit hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been as good as his playoff run and he isn't exactly being bailed out by his teammates. Everyone looks tired out there. I hate to say it but if it comes down to Shawinigan vs Edmonton for the final spot, Shawi is probably going to nab it.

I also feel like this is a strangely worded sentence. Are you trying to take another dig at the Flame prospect pool? Not everyone can land the top pick in every round 3 times in a row.

I think he was overhyped. He played behind one heck of a defensive group.

im glad brossoit is a flames pick, i look forward to him crapping the bed in big games for you guys for years to come.

:lol:

what a moronic troll

First of all, anyone who takes a shot at 18 year olds is an idiot.

Second, the primary reason that the Oil Kings got to the MC was Brossoit. Sure he had a tough experience but that happens - it happens to pros as well. It teaches you what it takes to win.

The Oil Kings are a young team that is only going to be better next year. There is a good chance that they will get another crack at the MC and if they do, they will have had the added experience of this year to learn from.

I place the majority of the blame on Brossoit for the Oil Kings' weak showing at the Memorial Cup.

This from a guy who doesn't think goaltending is important.

Oiler fans and Oiler management deserve each other (for people who have no reading comprehension: I know the Oil Kings aren't the Oilers, it's a separate point).

im glad brossoit is a flames pick, i look forward to him crapping the bed in big games for you guys for years to come.

How's Olivier Roy working out for you? For all the talk that he got from Oilers fans, I thought he'd be an All-Star by now. Looks like being a Team Canada goalie doesn't make you an automatic guarantee....

He never GOT any hype. Turned a few heads, sure, but most everyone out there assumes that he gets plenty of help from Pysyk, Gernat, Reinhart and the likes and the ones that did get hyped up for him are the type of people who get really excited when someone chucks them a half-eaten chewy bar.

He could still improve a lot, that's the scary thing. He should come back next year motivated and if that happens he could make some waves in the hockey world.

How's Olivier Roy working out for you? For all the talk that he got from Oilers fans, I thought he'd be an All-Star by now. Looks like being a Team Canada goalie doesn't make you an automatic guarantee....

I know you are trying to taunt with this, but Olivier Roy is no Brent Krahn.

Roy is actually a good example to bring up in this conversation, he had a rough tournament and many people wrote him off, but he is back on track.

he was one of the leading goaltenders in the ECHL this year, in spite of being on one of the teams that gave up the most shots/scoring chances. and in his (short,) stint in the AHL this year, he posted a 0.937 save percentage.

he got away from the goal tending coaching in Acadia-bathurst, which IMO, had been forcing him into a playing style he was unsuited for, which affected his positioning, and more glaringly his rebound control (this is what sunk him in the WJHC,in my opinion,). he seems to be back "in the groove" and on track to start playing for our AHL affiliate next year.

Brossoit had a horrible Memorial Cup, there's no glossing that. He fell part as the tournament went on. But it doesn't have to define the rest of his career. But how he moves forward from here is crucial.He needs to shake this off, and refocus.

It will be hard to do, with the tourney being the end of the year, but Roy shows that you can move beyond a bad showing.

That certainly puts in perspective your expert opinion compared with the other experts:

Brossoit named WHL Championship series MVP

EDMONTON, AB -- After the Edmonton Oil Kings claimed the WHL Championship on Sunday night with a 4-1 win over the Portland Winterhawks, netminder Laurent Brossoit was named the series MVP

It was the Oil Kings as a team that got burned out and crapped the bed at the end of the run...

To Blame it on Brossoit is ridiculous... He was one of the bright spots of the run and you know it... ;)

Besides... You ought to be taking comfort in the fact that at least the Oil Kings didn`t crap the bed as bad as the Oilers... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It was the Oil Kings as a team that got burned out and crapped the bed at the end of the run...

To Blame it on Brossoit is ridiculous... He was one of the bright spots of the run and you know it... ;)

Besides... You ought to be taking comfort in the fact that at least the Oil Kings didn`t crap the bed as bad as the Oilers... :lol:

Of all the teams at the Memorial cup, Edmonton had the hardest fought final before getting there.

London desroyed the ice dogs 4 games to 1

St John swept there series vs RIMOUSKI

These guys never stood a chance after that 7 game masterpiece vs portland!

Travis Ewanyk?

Nono. He is another amazing pick proving the mastery of whatever teams scouting chose to draft him. A third round draft pick, his play showed he may turn out to be as much as a steal as Lindstrom was. It's picks like this which are why conner knows this is the year the Oilers rebuild is over. The flames will curse the day they gave up that pick!

• 8 months later...

http://www.whl.ca/article/brossoit-vaughn-whl-goalie-of-the-month

Brossoit had a strong first half in the WHL, and he's emerging as the WHL's top goaltender in the second half. Currently third in gaa,, fourth in sp, and rising fast.

Say what you want about his memorial cup performance last year, we have a top goaltending prospect on our hands and at the same time he's already made Edmonton fans suffer horribly as early as age 18. Also, teaching Edmonton fans to blame the goaltender for everything will come in handy when they watch Oilers games.

Keep it up, Brossoit! I think he's got a good chance at playing for the Heat next year.

http://www.whl.ca/article/brossoit-vaughn-whl-goalie-of-the-month

Brossoit had a strong first half in the WHL, and he's emerging as the WHL's top goaltender in the second half. Currently third in gaa,, fourth in sp, and rising fast.

Say what you want about his memorial cup performance last year, we have a top goaltending prospect on our hands and at the same time he's already made Edmonton fans suffer horribly as early as age 18. Also, teaching Edmonton fans to blame the goaltender for everything will come in handy when they watch Oilers games.

Keep it up, Brossoit! I think he's got a good chance at playing for the Heat next year.

He's been absolutely amazing this year. I've caught quite a few of his games, and have been impressed with his positioning & athleticism. We don't have just 1 top goaltending prospect, we have two! Brossoit & Gillies. Jon Gillies is the only reason the Providence Friars have a respectable team record this year. Remove Gillies, and that time is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

He's been absolutely amazing this year. I've caught quite a few of his games, and have been impressed with his positioning & athleticism. We don't have just 1 top goaltending prospect, we have two! Brossoit & Gillies. Jon Gillies is the only reason the Providence Friars have a respectable team record this year. Remove Gillies, and that time is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Brossoit, Gilles, I'll add Ortio to the mix. Much improved over last year, one of the top goalies in SM Liiga.

Also some honorable mention to Irving, Ramo, and Danny Taylor. None of these three have been given a serious chance a the NHL level, despite success in other leagues. I'm really glad Irving is finally getting a chance.

As for the Heat...what to do next year? Broissoit, Ortio, Brust, Taylor, and Irving are all in the mix right now. Some serious decisions to be made. I hope the Flames can find a solution that results in all their signed goaltending prospects getting good playing time next year.

Brossoit, Gilles, I'll add Ortio to the mix. Much improved over last year, one of the top goalies in SM Liiga.

Also some honorable mention to Irving, Ramo, and Danny Taylor. None of these three have been given a serious chance a the NHL level, despite success in other leagues. I'm really glad Irving is finally getting a chance.

As for the Heat...what to do next year? Broissoit, Ortio, Brust, Taylor, and Irving are all in the mix right now. Some serious decisions to be made. I hope the Flames can find a solution that results in all their signed goaltending prospects getting good playing time next year.

Unfortunantly for Brossoit the coaching staff at the AHL is more concerned with winning than with developing goal tending prospects (as we learned with Irving last year and this year) So if he is going to get any AHL playing time he will have to earn it. And with Ramo coming over next year battling for the backup position behind Kipper (and probably getting it) that will mean we have to find a spot for Irving. And with Brust and Taylor playing so well at the AHL level it's starting to look like a 4 way battle for goaltending minutes in the AHL.

As for Joni Ortio he will most definitely be staying in HIFK Helsinki next year. The coaching staff didn't have faith in him being Irving's backup and thats how we originally ended up with Taylor. Although he is playing well over there we simply don't have room to bring him back. Another season (or more) playing in his home country will be great for his game.

And Jon Gillies has been lights out in the NCAA. This kid is big in net standing at 6'5 and the one thing you can't teach is height. A few fundamental things he needs to work on like his hip and core strength and his lower body explosiveness (all will come with training) but his positioning has looked very good and he looks calm in net which is a good thing for a big goalie. You don't want to see a tall goalie scrambling around in net making acrobatic saves because then he wouldn't be using his natural size effectively. Instead we see Gillies staying positionally sound and as such relying less on his lateral movement (which as I said is his weak point because he needs to increase his lower body explosiveness and hip/core strength). Personally I hope that Gillies will stay in the NCAA next season simply because I feel his development will be hindered if he doesnt have consistent playing time.

It's looking like Calgary will need to make a trade next year after training camp. I'm sure the coaching staff will let Irving and Ramo battle it out for the backup role. But one of them will have to lose and having 4 Goalies at the AHL level is not ideal. I see Ramo beating Irving for the backup role. What Calgary does after that? I have no idea...

But this can all change if Kipper's play takes a step back this season. One thing is forsure though, we do not need to draft anymore Goalies this year.

Archived