Laurent Brossoit - Goalie

But this can all change if Kipper's play takes a step back this season. One thing is forsure though, we do not need to draft anymore Goalies this year.

haha...yeah, if we can't work with this, we're in trouble.

I'm expecting a lot of surprises. I don't think people realize how good Danny Taylor has become. If he gets a chance at an NHL game, I think everything could change.

Gillies isn't in the picture now, but if he keeps developing like he is....he'll force himself into the future faster than we're ready for. And I don't even want to think about where we'd put him and how we'd do that.

Irving is a wildcard...he hasn't played. I'm thinking the lack of play will set him back, but we'll see.

Ramo...ugh. let's just not talk about it.

Brust....if he keeps it up someone's going to offer him an NHL contract. I don't even think the Flames have room to entertain it. I almost hope, for his sake, that another team does.

Broissoit....You're bang on. He deserves to be in the AHL next year and I don't know how the Flames will pull it off. They'll either need to loan him to another AHL team, or there are more trades coming between this year and next.

you sure about that?

With our coaching staff and management you can never be sure.

But IMO Ramo's style of play is much better suited for the way hockey is currently being played. Irving still seems to be stuck in that Quebec style of goaltending that focuses more on looking big in net and blocking shots (think Giguere). That may have worked 10 years ago but the game has now changed. And unless Irving can fix some fundamental flaws that are currently part of his game I don't see him beating Ramo. Especially considering we will have a full training camp with pre season games which should give the coaches a good look at both goalies.

But hey, I'm not complaining. Goaltending is my favorite subject and Calgary will be giving me a lot to talk about for the forseable future.

I don't think people realize how good Danny Taylor has become. If he gets a chance at an NHL game, I think everything could change.

This is what I fear. A big part of goaltending is confidence and with the way Taylor has been playing he is teeming with it. Taylor could very well get a chance at an NHL game in the next 2 weeks or so (depends how long it takes Kipper to get back). And if he is on his game like he has been at the AHL level he could take Irving's job as the backup behind Kipper.

Now I don't know what kind of player Irving is mentally. But you have to wonder what would be going through his mind having lost his starting position in the AHL to Taylor, then losing his backup job in Calgary to the same man.

Like I said before, there certainly is a lot to talk about when it comes to Calgary's goaltenders. Interesting days are ahead

Taylor could very well get a chance at an NHL game in the next 2 weeks or so (depends how long it takes Kipper to get back). And if he is on his game like he has been at the AHL level he could take Irving's job as the backup behind Kipper.

I agree with your assessment of Irving right now, although I give him the benefit of the doubt, having not really played (unfair to him). That being said, you've only compared Ramo to Irving. If the above stated scenario unfolds, we'll have to have a Taylor vs Ramo conversation. And I'm looking forward to it.

Archived