I Don't Understand This

Ameter

Months ago I made my peace with the fact that the Flames weren't as good as I thought they were, and lowered my expectations. Since Christmas, I've been very happy with the Flames' play.

While I don't expect that they will make the playoffs, they're certainly making themselves into contenders.

[MOD EDIT VULGAR LANGUAGE]

I came back because I figured maybe now that the Flames have been doing well, there'd be less negativity flowing around, yet all I see are negative threads everywhere.

WTF?! 'Is this playoff run killing us?'

Who the watermelon are you people? You certainly aren't fans if you're bananaing about us starting to win for a change. Why are you posting on a flames forum if you aren't fans?

Months ago I made my peace with the fact that the Flames weren't as good as I thought they were, and lowered my expectations. Since Christmas, I've been very happy with the Flames' play.

While I don't expect that they will make the playoffs, they're certainly making themselves into contenders.

[MOD EDIT LANGUAGE]

I came back because I figured maybe now that the Flames have been doing well, there'd be less negativity flowing around, yet all I see are negative threads everywhere.

Who the watermelon are you people? You certainly aren't fans if you're bananaing about us starting to win for a change. Why are you posting on a flames forum if you aren't fans?

I love you.

Why aren't you asking yourself the same question?

You misunderstand.

I don't hold the expectation that the Flames will make the playoffs. It's not the same thing as my holding the expectation that they will not make the playoffs.

I have an absence of expectations.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!:lol:

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK AMETER.

Sept pay attention to what Laviathan said there. Think it's time to set your expectations back up a wee bit. More to the level of encouragement rather than expectations perhaps.

The boys will make the playoffs. At least that's what they have been showing all of us lately.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! RIGHT ON!!!!!!!:lol:

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK AMETER.

Sept pay attention to what Laviathan said there. Think it's time to set your expectations back up a wee bit. More to the level of encouragement rather than expectations perhaps.

The boys will make the playoffs. At least that's what they have been showing all of us lately.

The encouragement has never stopped. I never stopped cheering, I never stopped wanting, I never stopped watching.

I just went from pulling out my hair (slight as it is) with frustration to accepting it.

I'll raise my expectations again once I see that they should indeed be raised. My hopes are as high as they always were ;)

Ameter I see where your coming from. I went from just a viewer on these forums to a poster to attempt to silence these 'tear masterbaters'. There is a lot more positivity in this forum as of late but there are still the idiots mostly who are uneducated on hockey who have been stirring crap up. It is unfortunate these people choose to post here but for every dumb fan theres probably 3 educated ones on this forum. Just have to sift through the crap.

I am in such disbelife that you can be a fan of any team and hope they lose. There is only 3 teams I hope lose, the Canucks, the Oilers, and the Leafs. If you want the Flames to lose, then you aren't a fan.

In my case I'll add the Penguins (division foes & I hate the rebuild by losing every decade mindset)& Sens (I just never liked them. No particular hatred but I just can't find anything about them to like or respect).

I hope to hell we make the playoffs as we would have to be rolling real well to do it and they may make some noise. That said I will not be shocked if they do not make the playoffs as it will only take a small slip to fall behind and out because of the glut of teams around 56-58 points, I will be dissapointed but it will not be the same as last season. However, I will never cheer for them to lose, as I would be so disappointed if it was revealed that the players wanted to lose. no matter where they are in teh standings they should try.

Furthermore, for all those who want to blow up the team, isn't it way better to have an awesome or even meagre playoff run and inflate the value of our assets even further. I would rather make playoffs and then trade assets if that is the chosen course of action. watermelon losing!

I am in such disbelife that you can be a fan of any team and hope they lose. There is only 3 teams I hope lose, the Canucks, the Oilers, and the Leafs. If you want the Flames to lose, then you aren't a fan.

This is an extremely short sighted comment. Every now and then, teams need to press the reset button and get some good draft picks. There's nothing wrong with asking for this earlier than later.

This is an extremely short sighted comment. Every now and then, teams need to press the reset button and [b]get some good draft picks. There's nothing wrong with asking for this earlier than later.[/b]

The problem I have with this theory is nothing is a guarantee.. can you guarantee that if we draft in the top ten or even the top 5 that we are guaranteed a star player? IMHO we need to find people that can help us (ie. scouting) first before we look at building through a draft. We do not have the best record.

I don't totally disagree with you... what I don't agree with is your eagerness to rush this process. So, yes, there is something a little wrong with asking for this earlier than later. Patience is a virtue! ;)

This is an extremely short sighted comment. Every now and then, teams need to press the reset button and get some good draft picks. There's nothing wrong with asking for this earlier than later.

The difference is that I don't place as much value in draft picks as you seem too. I would rather trade our assets for nhl-ready assets and I think if the team is on a run, players will get more. I am not for tanking and trying to get a high draft pick this season as would have to trade awayour core mid-season and I am not sure if we would get maximum value for our players as none of them will be rentals.

Also, if we do go the tanking route I would eat up every win that is offered to us right now. It wil lbe a few rough seasons ahead if we trade away our core.

Can I ask you a question Peeps? How many more times must this team win, for you as a *edit* "fan", in order to perhaps be a little more positive?

Can I ask you a question Peeps? How many more times must this team win, for you as a Moderator, in order to perhaps be a little more positive?

That isn't fair.

"As a moderator" should not mean his opinion must be 'rah rah go team'.

Just like everyone else, he should be allowed to express his opinion.

He's not running around banning everyone for his own agenda, so what's your problem?

I don't really know what to tell the rest of you...what's up with wolfpack in the positivity ranks?

Grow up.

Ameter, you say yourself that you had lost hope, so you hid it away.

Others spew their disappointment on the page, but it's the same thing.

All I know is, as goes Kiprusoff, so go the Flames.

We've got confidence now. We're 12-3-3 in our last eighteen and three points from fourth in the West. There's obviously a lot more work to be done with twenty nine more games left on the schedule but if we keep playing the way that we're capable of there's no reason to believe that we won't make it to the post-season. It's going to be an exciting race right down to the finish and I'm looking forward to it.

The people doesnt understand one major thing. he believes if we get young guys we will be set for years to come, and maybe win a cup like chicago.

Im just going to say NO...

Why dont you become an edmonton fan man, or ottawa, supposedly they are just beginning their rebuild so you can cheer from scratch? like seriouly enough with the rebuild crap on these forums. it is just straight up pissing me off now. every forum turns into a question as to why the flames havent traded the core and why we dont tank seasons to draft a toews or crosby... i hate it.

Lets stick with the team we have now, who has given us exciting play and major points in jan and feb (the most crucial stretch of the year)

Oh and who is the hottest team in the league as of late? ohhhh yeah the flames.....

But why would we want playoffs????? playoffs mean nothing.... Watching the draft pick is more exciting than watching hockey in april and may, correct flames fans!?

get a grip guys, stop watching Toews and Crosby on TV. Different teams have different styles, and I cant see a toews or crosby level player coming to our team for a long time......... So enough with that, and lets stick to the boys we have who have given more effort thatn any other sports team around the world as of late. Sure they dont have ovechkin, Stamkos skill, but they are able to beat teams like Vancouver, Dallas and Nashville because they are finally having fun and enjoying their success.

So please, if you want to talk about rebuilding, do it when things arent going as well.

In conclusion, I love the guy who started this forum too! 6 wins and counting!

[MOD EDIT VULGAR LANGUAGE]

Understand this...I'v been a season ticket holder for over 10 years and will remain one whatever happens(WHATEVER HAPPENS) but i'v seen this dog and pony show with the Flames for too many years now to believe that this core and supporting cast will ever win anything. Call me negative or not a fan or whatever you want, shake your pom pom's you got and go for it but IMO this team is in need of a full rebuild starting with the president down to the stick boy. Why a full rebuild you ask...I want to see a new philosophy brought in reguarding youth,speed,skill and most importantly player development, This is still Sutters management team in place so whats really going to change? Yes this playoff run is killing us because its going to make C.W.Feaster,King and the Owners a little confused when it comes down to the trade deadline, are we buyers or sellers. Again, please don't get me wrong i love my Flames but it's inevitable Mr. Anderson ;)

That isn't fair.

"As a moderator" should not mean his opinion must be 'rah rah go team'.

Just like everyone else, he should be allowed to express his opinion.

He's not running around banning everyone for his own agenda, so what's your problem?

I don't really know what to tell the rest of you...what's up with wolfpack in the positivity ranks?

Grow up.

Ameter, you say yourself that you had lost hope, so you hid it away.

Others spew their disappointment on the page, but it's the same thing.

All I know is, as goes Kiprusoff, so go the Flames.

World of difference between spewing your disappointment and complaining that we're winning

There was a time for talk of blowing it up. November and early December, I could even see the reasons and agreed with them.

That time is past now though my friends. Time to put the rebuild talk on the shelf and cheer on your damn team!

How come there were no rebuild threads last year when we were stinking up the joint? None early this year either. As early means July through October. Why? Because everyone thought we had a pretty good team on paper.

The pre-season.... not one person talking about blowing it up.

Now everyone is an expert, telling me every freaking day that we are too old, too slow and we need to trade our core for kids.

Enough is enough. I couldn't agree more with Ameter. The time to cheer is now. Time to suck it up and admit you were wrong for all the people who thought we were lost in the woods.

There is a chance we won't make the playoffs. If that happens, take some time, look around and make smart decisions. Not blow this b*tch up while we are winning.

Now suck it up and cheer dammit!!!!

Understand this...I'v been a season ticket holder for over 10 years and will remain one whatever happens(WHATEVER HAPPENS) but i'v seen this dog and pony show with the Flames for too many years now to believe that this core and supporting cast will ever win anything. Call me negative or not a fan or whatever you want, shake your pom pom's you got and go for it but IMO this team is in need of a full rebuild starting with the president down to the stick boy. Why a full rebuild you ask...I want to see a new philosophy brought in reguarding youth,speed,skill and most importantly player development, This is still Sutters management team in place so whats really going to change? Yes this playoff run is killing us because its going to make C.W.Feaster,King and the Owners a little confused when it comes down to the trade deadline, are we buyers or sellers. Again, please don't get me wrong i love my Flames but it's inevitable Mr. Anderson ;)

So what do you want? Cull everyone age 27 or older? Bring up everyone from the farm? Drop anyone making 3 mill a year or more? Get picks for the lot of them? Then take your chances in the draft? Who knows, 6 or 7 years later we may have a playoff team again?

This year is the opposite of what we did last year, and the year before, and the year before. We started really slow. Now we are building momentum. Last year, we had a great November and December, then crapped the bed the rest of the way. Look at Atlanta! Look at St. Louis! They were all great coming out the gates. Now how are they doing?

That you have been a season ticket holder for 10 years makes your opinion somehow more correct.... Really? You can say you will remain one, but so what? You're calling for the most dire, drastic action possible. And no, you haven't seen this particular dog and pony show, not for a few years at least. Remember being underdogs? Remember squeaking into the playoffs 2 games before the final game of the season? Remember the Jumbotron? "We're In! We Clinched!" It may not be the exact same thing this year, but come on! We haven't won 6 in a row since 2008! EARLY 2008!

So maybe, just maybe, we are getting hot at the right time. It's happened to worse teams than us right now (2006 oil?) And maybe you should cheer instead of asking the team to quit before they start doing something too good.

Season tickets or not, that makes you a lousy, lousy fan. And that you came to a message board 1/4 full of Flames fans, and proposed what you proposed. Well. That you are getting pissy would make a real fan laugh every day of the week.

Archived