Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I am told he is one of the first media guys to defending the Oilers..

He did not hold back this time..

I like that he was just honest about how he felt, what happened, and what he saw.   Not common in media.

And when he does defend them, good on him.  someone has to.  Just glad it isn't me

On 1/26/2018 at 0:07 AM, robrob74 said:

I don’t get it. “We” bash the oilers all the time but can’t beat them?

I would love nothing more to talk about the battle of alberta and how they swept us in the regular season leading up to the playoffs and all that jazz.   I Really would.

But here's the thing about the Battle of Alberta:    It's a playoff reference, Not a regular season reference. 

I'm not happy that the Oilers suck this much.   I am dissapointed.   And I feel bad for their fans.   This goes way beyond a few regular season matchups.  Maybe it's in bad taste to be bashing them when they sweep us in the regular season.   But seriously...in the big picture, this game was a dissapointment before it started because it will be the Last time we see the Oilers this season.    Cause we ain't seeing them in the playoffs.    Do I give them a pat on the back for their regular season sweep?   I'm too dissapointed in them to do it personally.

What would be my dream, is to see the Flames and the Oilers, both as contenders, battling it out in an Epic playoff series.  I would of course cheer for the Flames, but ultimately root for whichever team came out of it alive.

The fact that we're even talking about regular season "battles" is simply depressing to me.   That's where I'm at with this.

On January 26, 2018 at 3:42 PM, jjgallow said:

I would love nothing more to talk about the battle of alberta and how they swept us in the regular season leading up to the playoffs and all that jazz.   I Really would.

But here's the thing about the Battle of Alberta:    It's a playoff reference, Not a regular season reference. 

I'm not happy that the Oilers suck this much.   I am dissapointed.   And I feel bad for their fans.   This goes way beyond a few regular season matchups.  Maybe it's in bad taste to be bashing them when they sweep us in the regular season.   But seriously...in the big picture, this game was a dissapointment before it started because it will be the Last time we see the Oilers this season.    Cause we ain't seeing them in the playoffs.    Do I give them a pat on the back for their regular season sweep?   I'm too dissapointed in them to do it personally.

What would be my dream, is to see the Flames and the Oilers, both as contenders, battling it out in an Epic playoff series.  I would of course cheer for the Flames, but ultimately root for whichever team came out of it alive.

The fact that we're even talking about regular season "battles" is simply depressing to me.   That's where I'm at with this.

I actually agree with you. I enjoyed it when the Oilers put out that great squad in the 1980s and we slowly learned how to play them. It was exciting to watch as we got better and better. I hope that it happens again, although I have my doubts. TSN is reporting today that Eberle is having a pretty good year in New York. Strome is not exactly lighting it up in Edmonton.

• 3 weeks later...

caught myself this morning peeking in on the box scores for Oilers games. 

stopped to ask myself why?

Guess some of the summer media hype etc still getting to me

due to all the summer blogs/threads/articles etc where they were favorites for cup and McDavid was shoo-in for scoring title.

I never thought Gaudreau would be in top 2 (figured top 10) but there are sooo many great players in league that going nuts and handing out 12.5M/year contract is nuts.

For this reason, even though there is no doubt he is an elite player, i want him to fail. 

Let him be in top5, let him beat Gaudreau, but end the insanity of Best player in world for next decade garbage and hold him pointless for a little bit

(at least they did not pay kane etc until got the cup)

might make me petty... but meh, at least i am not cheering for an injury or complete meltdown.

am i alone hoping that he goes pointless for a while?

4 hours ago, JustAFlamer said:

caught myself this morning peeking in on the box scores for Oilers games. 

stopped to ask myself why?

Guess some of the summer media hype etc still getting to me

due to all the summer blogs/threads/articles etc where they were favorites for cup and McDavid was shoo-in for scoring title.

I never thought Gaudreau would be in top 2 (figured top 10) but there are sooo many great players in league that going nuts and handing out 12.5M/year contract is nuts.

For this reason, even though there is no doubt he is an elite player, i want him to fail. 

Let him be in top5, let him beat Gaudreau, but end the insanity of Best player in world for next decade garbage and hold him pointless for a little bit

(at least they did not pay kane etc until got the cup)

might make me petty... but meh, at least i am not cheering for an injury or complete meltdown.

am i alone hoping that he goes pointless for a while?

I enjoy watching the fail, but that is because I think they were smug after last season.

I don't relish the idea of them drafting top 5.

McDavid's hatty against the Flames bothered me because there was no reason to let that happen.

He has 5 point games.  Good for him.

People will continue to call him generational.  Every time he touches the puck, there is a raising of the announcers voice.

Good for the sport.

The longer he plays, the more he will have to adjust.  Some teams can't and some can stop him.

As a Flames fan, I want to see JH beat him and even win the Hart or the Ross.  Too many Oilers laugh at him as a player.

They seem to think that Yamamoto will be the same or better.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

"As a Flames fan, I want to see JH beat him and even win the Hart or the Ross."

Agreed, I have a few friends that are Oiler fans, that I'd enjoy using that ammo on.

The funny thing is that if the PP was half ways decent, he would have about 10 more points. 

Worst case scenario they get Dahlin... so what? PC has a logjam of overpaid D men under contract for the forseeable future... enjoy your 3 years of cheap Dahlin. Soon enough they'll be buying out Sekera and Russell accentuating PC's incompetence at signing UFA's.

Not gonna lie, I was fumed when they were gifted McDavid. However I could care less if they were to get Dahlin. I mean they were gifted a sensational player in 97 and it's only yielded 1 good season thus far.  Is another 1st overall gonna make that much of a difference? I mean they've had 4 already...Next year they are paying him 12.5... good luck building a deep and balanced team with that.

Goes to show the futility of an organization when since the 2009 draft they have selected in the top 10 8 times! That's assuming this season the pick in the top 10 which is likely, anyway last season was the only year since 08 in which they didn't pick top 10.

The Orange Crush is turning into the Orange Squash.

6 losses in a row.

Lose 0-1 to the last place team.

6 points out of last place.  Perhaps Chia will sell the farm to ensure they are in a lotto spot.

Year 1 of McDavid 70 points

Year 2 103

Year 3 trending towards 70 points again.

So, if McDavid deserved the Hart for the team improving by 33 points, should he get the Goat for dropping those 33 points the next year?

13 hours ago, CBTC-FLAMES-EDITION said:

:D  Just awesome. They don't even have any shame talking about going for Dahlin. The Oilers aren't starting their golf season in April, they are starting it in February. Is there an indoor course in the new arena? Seems smart. 

It's nothing new. In previous years by the time the calendar flipped to a new year  you saw threads like "Fall for Hall", "Dying for Ryan" & "Fail for Nail".

:wacko:

15 hours ago, CBTC-FLAMES-EDITION said:

:D  Just awesome. They don't even have any shame talking about going for Dahlin. The Oilers aren't starting their golf season in April, they are starting it in February. Is there an indoor course in the new arena? Seems smart. 

Falling for Dahlin...

e033f89ee922e545c1e663a9bdfed03c.png

They've got about 14 million in cap to fill a roster of 13 if they don't re-sign any FAs. They will definately re-up Nurse so knock off about $5 million.

Even if the cap rises to $80 that leaves 14 for 9 players. If ever a team needed ELCs to bring up it's the Oilers but their prospect pool certainly doesn't speak of high end @ any position.

Their pending UFAs (Maroon & Letestu certainly aren't going to bring the bounty those looking through patina smeared copper glasses expect so they should get set for another round of dreams.

Cue young guns take 3 where they ruin even more players. :mad:

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

They've got about 14 million in cap to fill a roster of 13 if they don't re-sign any FAs. They will definately re-up Nurse so knock off about $5 million.

Even if the cap rises to $80 that leaves 14 for 9 players. If ever a team needed ELCs to bring up it's the Oilers but their prospect pool certainly doesn't speak of high end @ any position.

Their pending UFAs (Maroon & Letestu certainly aren't going to bring the bounty those looking through patina smeared copper glasses expect so they should get set for another round of dreams.

Cue young guns take 3 where they ruin even more players. :mad:

So that means trying to trade Nuge for pennies, retaining $$ for Lucic if they could find a sucker taker.  Strome, Slepy. Pakir, Calligula, Davidsn and Nurse all being RFA's; Nurse the only one of the bunch without arbitration rights.  They can't afford to re-sign Maroon, no matter how much McDavid cries about it.  

So they will bring up Yamamoto because every kid under 5'9" is the next Gaudreau.  Their farm doesn't have anyone that can score and their great defense prospects consist of the lesser Jones and Bear.  

I don't even know how they will fill up their lineup with players.  If this year is bad, what will next year look for them. 

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

As long as the Oilers think tanking for a top pick alone is enough, then they'll never climb out of the basement.  Tanking is only a part of it.  You still need to do well in all other areas.

How does one really know if they are tanking or not? They have been struggling for some time. I assumed that they would be more relaxed now that their season is over. That does not appear to be happening.

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So they will bring up Yamamoto because every kid under 5'9" is the next Gaudreau. 

That pretty much sums it up. McDavid is just 1 point ahead of Johnny, and they have been even pretty much all season. I am not quite sure how anyone thinks that Yamamoto is equivalent to Johnny, unless they also believe that Yamamoto is on par with McJeebus.

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

How does one really know if they are tanking or not? They have been struggling for some time. I assumed that they would be more relaxed now that their season is over. That does not appear to be happening.

That pretty much sums it up. McDavid is just 1 point ahead of Johnny, and they have been even pretty much all season. I am not quite sure how anyone thinks that Yamamoto is equivalent to Johnny, unless they also believe that Yamamoto is on par with McJeebus.

McJeezub benefits from games where he gets in on all the scoring.  5 point games, Hatties against the Flames in game 1 and against the AVS, after they lose two D men in the same game.  A hatty is a hatty, but not very impressive if its an EN to complete it.  But, whatever.  The only thing he's playing for is the bonus money at this point.  

I mentioned on the Oilers board how Yamamoto is basically the same player as Phillips, mostly the same age, similar points last year, etc.  Phillips excels in scoring, while Yamamoto gets more assists.  The response was that Yamaomoto was a 1st round pick, so there was no comp.  No meaningful discussion, was basically shut down by the blog writer.

Archived