Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is donwright scary if you are an Oiler fan...

In the last 5 seasons of NHL play, Adam Larsson was the 106th defenceman in points. Nikita Nikitin was 108th. So clearly an upgrade for Oil.

Schlemko had more pts last year playing on the same team but his +/- was not as flattering. 

Wow.  They give up one of the top left wingers in the game who is still young for a good, not great, defenseman and the ability to sign a power forward who will likely only be effective for another 2-3 years.

If it was Eberle I would understand but Hall?  That is some AAA grade, top shelf terribad GMing by Chiarelli.

Just a quote from a poster on the Oiler message board, regarding the Hall trade. Made me laugh a little:

Oiler fan

"I'm not even sure I can watch next year. It's just depressing to hear. Based on this I guess subban is worth Gretzky, Eberle is worth a 5th rounder, and yak is worth a punch in the throat and a used Kleenex. It would be palatable if anything else was coming back. Like we couldn't even tack on a 5th or 6th to make it feel better? It's just sad"

Schlemko had more pts last year playing on the same team but his +/- was not as flattering. 

Larsson is a soild defensive dman so you do that have going for you if your Edmonton but your right to date his abilty to move the puck just hasn't developed as you thought.

To plays Devils advocate, it did take Victor Hedman a few years to figure it out to and we all see the end results there. Even at the same age I liked Hedman more than Larsson but I do think Larsson will keep getting better. Enough to make him worth Taylor Hall? Chiarelli better hope so. 

Larsson is a soild defensive dman so you do that have going for you if your Edmonton but your right to date his abilty to move the puck just hasn't developed as you thought.

To plays Devils advocate, it did take Victor Hedman a few years to figure it out to and we all see the end results there. Even at the same age I liked Hedman more than Larsson but I do think Larsson will keep getting better. Enough to make him worth Taylor Hall? Chiarelli better hope so. 

There are many of us here hoping to get Larsson.  Buy none of us would have been willing to trade Monahan or Gaudreau for him.

Those would be comparable payers to Hall.

Not the worst trade. There had to be a loss of a forward for a defenseman and Eberle was not bringing in Larsson. Larsson had the 19th best +- among defensemen on a non playoff team and didnt play on the PP. When Edmonton took a forward in this draft, it was all but decided that a top 6 forward had to be traded for defense and that one with high potential would have to go for a top one. This is the curse of shiny new things. Everyone was stoked to have Puljujarvi knowing that they have to a hole in Defense thinking that they could get one through a trade. Problem with that is that a top pairing dman is more expensive then a top line winger. Edmonton is a better team today than they were yesterday but I am happy that they dont see it cus it is fun to read the oilers subreddit right now.

^ the equivalent of this trade for the Flame is exactly, Gaudreau for Larsson. Man, no thank you.

ok....to be fair, a quick Gaudreau/Hall comparison.

Gaudreau's

Younger,

faster,

healthier,

has a better attitude,

Doesn't spent all his time on whyte ave,

scores way more goals

gets way more points

plays better defensively

CONTRACT IS REASONABLE

So, think of it this way, would any of us trade Gaudreau for Hall?

Yeah...so...

Given Hall's contract, issues, health, etc., etc., etc.,

I....don't hate the trade.   Based on what Hall does for Edmonton.

That being said, if Hall rejuvenates his career....this'll sure Look like a stinker.

To plays Devils advocate,

No pun intended there i guess... 

Not the worst trade. There had to be a loss of a forward for a defenseman 

Well of course from a macro level, the Oilers did the right thing to trade a forward for a Dman.  But Hall for Larsson should only work on EA NHL, not in real life.  

Larsson has potential and has upside but man, a former 1st overall just entering his prime and mostly living up to expectations deserves to fetch more than a former 4th overall who has not lived up to expectations 5 years into the league.  

There are many of us here hoping to get Larsson.  Buy none of us would have been willing to trade Monahan or Gaudreau for him.

Those would be comparable payers to Hall.

Prior to the Flames getting Hamilton, i was really hoping for the Flames to go after Larsson as i felt he hasn't lived up to expectations and still flashed greatness from time to time, plus, RHS RD with size.  I thought he could've been had for cheap like maybe Wideman + Russell + throw-ins.  But getting Hamilton was WAY better.

And then ya, Larsson continues to underwhelm offensively which in this NHL, is a problem.  Nowadays, if you want to log top pair minutes, you must put up points.  

Gaudreau's

Younger,

faster,

healthier,

has a better attitude,

scores way more goals

gets way more points

plays better defensively

CONTRACT IS REASONABLE

Yeah...so...

That being said, if Hall rejuvenates his career....this'll sure Look like a stinker.

Ya true, i honestly wouldn't do Gaudreau for Hall straight up at this point.  Not to say Hall isn't a good player but Gaudreau is something special.  

Gaudreau's

Younger,

faster,

healthier,

has a better attitude,

scores way more goals

gets way more points

plays better defensively

CONTRACT IS REASONABLE

Yeah...so...

Fast forward a month.  Gaudreau being paid more than Hall.

I wouldn't trade Hall for Johnny, but that is just player preference.  Hall is a dynamic player in the NHL.  He will be up there with Johnny's totals, and he only really 1.5 years older than Johnny.

His attitude and lack of playing responsibility comes from being the chosen one in EDM before he proved anything.  They never asked him to play any other way.  They put him on the path to being captain.

The Oilers just imploded.  They may get Lucic, but the team in not really any better with the two new adds.  And they aren't done yet,

giggle

It would be like trading gaudreau for Larsson if we had 2 other younger gaudreau's and wideman, smid England and 3 ahlers on defense.

Getting low value for high value is bad regardless of anything else.  It doesn't matter how many forwards the Oil had.  It doesn't matter if they sign Lucic.  They got fleeced.  

Fun that Chiarilli got fleeced with both Seguin and Hall.  That is a tough accomplishment.  Kudos to him.  

I think it looks very one sided at first glance but after looking at it with my head tilted I like it.

Larssons points will defineatly go up being on Edm

He is on a good value contract

They don't get older

There D is better

They get a culture change with Hall out

No Egos being stepped on when Mcdavid get captain over Hall in a few years.

Almost 2m towards Lucic getting signed

A big physical LWer that won't just watch Mcdavid get ran or hacked.

Edmonton is not done yet. I would not be surprised to see a few piece from Edmonton get packed together for true depth in the bottom 9 forwards and a stay at home Dman.

This is sounding a lot like the Phaneuf deal. And the Hamilton deal. Multiple GMs are apparently complaining they didn't know Hall was available and would have offered more.

If true, thst is a terrible move by Edmonton. You can't trade you best asset for an underwhelming return.

No pun intended there i guess...

Well of course from a macro level, the Oilers did the right thing to trade a forward for a Dman. But Hall for Larsson should only work on EA NHL, not in real life.

Wrong.. Doesn't work there either.. Ha ha...

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?You'll%2Bget%2Babsolutely%2Broasted%2Bby%2Bthe%2BOilers%2BGM%2Bif%2Byou%2Boffer%2BLarsson%2Bfor%2BHall%2Bin%2BNHL%2B16&id=583533

nj-edm_69057.png

This is sounding a lot like the Phaneuf deal. And the Hamilton deal. Multiple GMs are apparently complaining they didn't know Hall was available and would have offered more.

If true, thst is a terrible move by Edmonton. You can't trade you best asset for an underwhelming return.

I don't get the timing.  Larsson wasn't a pending UFA.  They just talked to Demers.  Maybe he wasn't interested. Whatever. Shatty was looking to be dealt.  Weber might have been available.  Wideman could have been had for a pick.

I get the desire to trade him.  He's the biggest asset that they could trade.  But I didn't think he was the root of the problem.  Thought the coach had a good experience with him at the last WHC, and he wasn't called out specifically by TM.

I'm sure teams would have traded more for 4th overall than they got for Hall.  Dougie for Hall would have been closer in value, but would be polarizing to both clubs.  Eberle should have git you a Larsson.

Well, Chia certainly learned a larsson.  He got schooled more than NYI did to him last year.

Archived