24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

Calgary has till October 7th to get to their opening night roster, it seems like mojority of the roster is set, it's just the players on the edges that they have to decide on.

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Sharangovich

Huberdeau-Pospisil- Mantha

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Klapka

These seem to be the locks and the lines to start the season. The following forwards are still with the team:

Coronato, Duehr (Waivers), Honzek, Hunt (Waivers), Pelletier, Schwindt.

Coronato and Honzek don't need waivers so they probably get sent down in the numbers game. Duehr and Hunt will most likely clear and get sent down. That leaves Pelletier and Schwindt fighting for the 13th forward spot, both would need to clear waivers to go to the Wranglers. Pelletier is more liely to get claimed because of his pedigre, Schwindt probably is better suited to be the 13th forward, as he can slide in at C and RW and play just about any role. It will be a tough choice.

Weegar-Miromanov

Bahl-Andersson

Bean-Pachal

These seem to be the locks and the starting pairings. The following defensemen are still with the team:

Hanley, Barrie (needs a contract), Tinordi (waivers).

Tinordi will be sent to the Wranglers once he clears. Do they sign Barrie? Hanley is a fine 7th defenseman who can sit in the pressbox and slide in when needed. 

Vladar

Wolf

Cooley is still with the team but will need waivers to go down to the Wranglers. It will be interesting to see how the Flames try to sneak him through. The Bruins just claimed Jiri Patera from the Canucks, so there might be teams looking for goalies.

^^^^^^^

Hanley may be fine, but is he an upgrade on Barrie?

As far as the rest of the numbers, having 14F, two of which are subject to waivers isn't ideal.

Honestly, I have no idea how they deal with Cooley.

I suspect he would get claimed.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^^^

Hanley may be fine, but is he an upgrade on Barrie?

As far as the rest of the numbers, having 14F, two of which are subject to waivers isn't ideal.

Honestly, I have no idea how they deal with Cooley.

I suspect he would get claimed.

Tough to send Wolf down considering what he has accomplished the past two years in the AHL. How much more does he have to prove himself. Sends the wrong msg if the send him again 

I think management has to give Wolf his time now even as a backup - its Vladars net to lose IMHO.

You gotta send Cooley down 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Tough to send Wolf down considering what he has accomplished the past two years in the AHL. How much more does he have to prove himself. Sends the wrong msg if the send him again 

I think management has to give Wolf his time now even as a backup - its Vladars net to lose IMHO.

You gotta send Cooley down 

And EDM lost Pickard to injury.  Who is their backup right now?

Pickard may be back in time, but maybe a bit iffy to resume play full time.

It's a tough call.  Wiave Rooney to keep Schmidt, Pelletier and Klapka?

That allows you to keep Cooley on the roster.

Klapka and Coronato are both exempt, so you could juggle them both, but Klapka has done everything you wanted.  

What I found funny today is that Huska said it's good to have a D that you can use for some games that is a puck mover.  That's less Hanley than Barrie, right?  

I can agree with these lines, as the BS of stealing a spot is just hot air. Based on ease of transactions, Wolf, Corronto, and Honzek will be sent down, and Hanley or Tonodi won't get claimed. So that leaves protecting two players who have not earned anything, it's all semantics. Schwindt is the best option simply based on the position of need Pelts, Frankly at this point is dispensable we have 2-3 replacements for him.  If MTL does claim him perfect, I just don't see how he makes any club go screaming to the waiver wire to grab. 

Forwards

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Sharangovich

Huberdeau-Pospisil- Mantha

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Klapka

Dman

Weegar-Miromanov

Bahl-Andersson

Bean-Barrie

Extras Pachael and Schwindt

Goalies

Vladar

Cooley

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A few more assigned to Wranglers. How in the dying Blockchain is Tinordi still around?

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-trim-training-camp-roster-03-10-24

Just now, JTech780 said:

He is on waivers today, so he will be assigned tomorrow.

I know it's the right move and totally expected after the signing, but do we have a need on the Wranglers for Tinordi?  They likely soon also have Hanley.  Seems a tough place to keep a place in the top 6.

I was somewhat surprised they signed Barrie as I don't think he's very good anymore.

That said, it makes sense. The Flames were linked to Barrie when he was a Leaf. Brodie for Barrie was floated. They were also linked to him this past season when NSH wanted to move him. Couple that with the familiarity with the coach and you've got a contract.

I don't think the org sees it the same, but I think Pachal is better than Miromanov. I don't necessarily agree that it has to be Barrie or Pachal in. Miromanov should very well be in the mix as the 7th D too. 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I was somewhat surprised they signed Barrie as I don't think he's very good anymore.

That said, it makes sense. The Flames were linked to Barrie when he was a Leaf. Brodie for Barrie was floated. They were also linked to him this past season when NSH wanted to move him. Couple that with the familiarity with the coach and you've got a contract.

I don't think the org sees it the same, but I think Pachal is better than Miromanov. I don't necessarily agree that it has to be Barrie or Pachal in. Miromanov should very well be in the mix as the 7th D too. 

Quite the hot taeks, eh.

I believe, and you can look up, that Miromanov was injured in late 2022/23 season.

He had surgery and returned to the NHL in February 2024, albeit not 100% at the time.

Regardless, Barrie is a move that is to bring in vet experience.

Pachal has 62 NHL games and Miromanov has 49.

My initial thought with the PTO was, you better not put Barrie in Pachal's way. Here we are.

Not saying Pachal is a stud, but we're talking about Tyson Barrie here. Barrie should be the 7/8.

Mantha, Barrie....is Conroy trying to charm me? lol

It's that time of year when waiver-eligibility enrages us.

So long waivers-exempt guys. Hope to see you soon...

"Earned, not given" is a fun little mantra, if you overlook the asterisk footnotes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not surprised to see Barrie signed. Don’t like it but I can see what they are doing. 

What are they doing? Letting The younger D adjust a year in the AHL?

hunter B has earned a spot and is a far better option than Barrie…

so unless this is just a send him to the AHL to get adjusted year Barrie makes no sense.

i had thought new player additions up front would be:

Coranato

Honz

Pelts 

at this point, it would seem Pelts will get a shot kinda do or die and the rest are heading back to the A, well and maybe Klapa looks to be staying

I had not expectations of D adds before Trg camp but as it went along I figured one guy would be:

Hunter B

seems Barrie has stalled him out of a spot this year.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

so unless this is just a send him to the AHL to get adjusted year Barrie makes no sense.

Coranato

Honz

Pelts 

at this point, it would seem Pelts will get a shot kinda do or die and the rest are heading back to the A, well and maybe Klapa looks to be staying

I had not expectations of D adds before Trg camp but as it went along I figured one guy would be:

Hunter B

Agree 100%, but injuries will happen, and numerous trades at or before the TDL.  I believe most of the to be/demoted prospects you mention will likely be up playing for the Flames before year-end.

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So we have a crop of goalies in various stages of development, much like Askarov is.  We have some D that look to be good ones early in their careers.  Some decent F that may be draft steals and ones on their way.  Hard to say what we need right now in the coming drafts.

This year we either lose our own pick or we lose the FLA one.  If we keep our pick, it's top 10.  I would be a bit leery using a top 10 pick on a 2nd year WHL G.  He has okayed his entire hockey career in BC.  Nothing wrong with that, but I would like to see someone with a bit more varied experience.  Is he a Mason MacDonald or a Wallstedt.  A Saros or a Ramo.

Totally agree, but if we pick top 10 and I do suspect we will, then said goalie could easily drop to our 2nd round pick, or we could upgrade it, so I still think he'd be in play.   I'm a 1-st round goalie advocate but I'm not a top-10 pick goalie advocate unless it's literally a sure-fire generational goalie.   Not that they aren't worth it, but, like you say, the voodoo element.

Thus, if you have a high 2nd-rounder almost every goalie is in play.   And I do think we will pick top 10 when we bring on guys like Mantha for instance, and start the season without a bonafide starter, I think writing is on the wall.     My belief is that the only reason Conroy hasn't traded away more is he doesn't want it to be embarassing.   The moment we put a string of wins together he's gonna trade away whichever vet was most responsible for another 1st rounder imho.

I mean, that's kind of dictated by the logic of which 1st rounder we can lose.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Coranato

Honz

Pelts 

Hunter B

I think Barrie does two things for the flames. First is he allows them to slow play their younger dmen which j actually agree with. I don’t think Hunter is NHL ready so him being able to play in the AHL is best. 
second is he gives them another PP option on a d core that doesn’t have many. As much as we may not like it the flames arnt not motivated to finish in the bottom and likely want to oh their special teams in a situation where they can be good. It was a big problem for them last year. 

I agree with the first but I don’t with the second. 

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My initial thought with the PTO was, you better not put Barrie in Pachal's way. Here we are.

Not saying Pachal is a stud, but we're talking about Tyson Barrie here. Barrie should be the 7/8.

Mantha, Barrie....is Conroy trying to charm me? lol

It's that time of year when waiver-eligibility enrages us.

So long waivers-exempt guys. Hope to see you soon...

"Earned, not given" is a fun little mantra, if you overlook the asterisk footnotes.

And the expectation is that Barrie is the 7th D.  He doesn't fit all games.  He's not blocking Pachal.  

As much as Bruce would have been a great story, it's a bit rushed.

He will dominate the AHL for awhile and we will call him up for 5/6 duty.

I did feel Solo didn't have a great camp, but he didn't get in enough games.

With Honzie and Coronato, both have shined.  Is it better to lose Pelletier and possibly Schwindt to keep them up?  It's a tough call.  Then again, you could waive Mantha and he would likely pass.  I will give him some games (10) before i jump on the Praying Mantha sucks train though.  If he didn't GAF during the regular season, preseason is not where he's gonna start G'ingAF.  Game 1 is where it matters if you give him any kind of preseason pass at all. 

Other than the lax attitude with Mantha, I haven't really seen 100% commitment from many vets.  It's the reality of meaningless games against teams like WPG and SEA.  VAN?  Who cares, we play them soon enough.    

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah we don't need to be racing any of the young guys into this hot mess.

Lots of time.

and while I agree the reason I don’t like signing Barrie is I think they had enough options. I’d rather see what we have in Pachal and Miromanov in that role then use Barrie. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

and while I agree the reason I don’t like signing Barrie is I think they had enough options. I’d rather see what we have in Pachal and Miromanov in that role then use Barrie. 

I admit I liked Pachal a lot of games last year for his no-nonsense play, but....

He seems to have found some new confidence and shows better positioning in preseason.

I don't think the GM expected that and it could just be a preseason blip.

Hence the Barrie invite.

We saw Weegar take on more PP minutes last season, along with Miromanov.

Ras had so many minutes and at times it seemed to be a waste; no shots from the point.

I guess I don't see how we need more RHS D on the PP.

Maybe it's Weegar and Barrie on one unit and Miromanov on the other.

Our PP struggled at times last season, so if Barrie can add something missing, then fine.

I don't see him an everyday Flames player.

Unless the depth suffers due to injury.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think Barrie does two things for the flames. First is he allows them to slow play their younger dmen which j actually agree with. I don’t think Hunter is NHL ready so him being able to play in the AHL is best. 
second is he gives them another PP option on a d core that doesn’t have many. As much as we may not like it the flames arnt not motivated to finish in the bottom and likely want to oh their special teams in a situation where they can be good. It was a big problem for them last year. 

I agree with the first but I don’t with the second. 

I don't think this shows that, they had a summer full of opportunity to make moves to better this team, waiting on a guy nobody wanted who appears on a decline doesn't inspire much confidence in the fanbase and I'm sure people who do this for a living aren't treating this as a wins move.  I don't know if I buy it as a guy they view helps them win, vs someone who gives more depth and buys time for the kids and maybe if it does go well you can dump for a mid round pick, still a lot of chatter around Andersson.