24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

It’s clear that training camp has been really competitive. Theres been a lot to like.

All three goalies with excellent performances.

Coronato has been awesome in camp, for the second year in a row. Would the Flames start him on a 4th line role though? It’s clear right now he’s one of their 12 best options at forward. 

Then there’s Pelletier. Clearly you can’t expose him to waivers. You’d hate to lose him without ever knowing what he is, as an NHLer. Right now I think you start him as the 13th forward. You can always look at a change of scenery move too. Maybe younswao him for Turcotte from LA, Turcotte is a C that’s struggled to find a role with the Kings.

Great start to the preseason for Honzek. Hopefully it’s something he can use as a launching pad for a big season with the Wranglers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s clear that training camp has been really competitive. Theres been a lot to like.

Coronato has been awesome in camp, for the second year in a row. Would the Flames start him on a 4th line role though? It’s clear right now he’s one of their 12 best options at forward. 

Then there’s Pelletier. Clearly you can’t expose him to waivers. You’d hate to lose him without ever knowing what he is, as an NHLer. Right now I think you start him as the 13th forward. You can always look at a change of scenery move too. Maybe younswao him for Turcotte from LA, Turcotte is a C that’s struggled to find a role with the Kings.

Great start to the preseason for Honzek. Hopefully it’s something he can use as a launching pad for a big season with the Wranglers.

I'm just hoping he's not Chuck Kobasew v2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

34 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm just hoping he's not Chuck Kobasew v2

Hopefully a trade is coming.  We have too many forwards and the kids need to be prioritized.  Retool/rebuild whatever you want to call it, play the kids.  Don't care about winning in the immediate term.  Give them the NHL experience so we can win in 3 to 4 years.

First round of assignments. Make sense now that the split squad game is done

The Flames announced they’ve trimmed eight players from training camp. Headed back to their junior teams are drafted prospects Jacob Battaglia (Kingston, OHL), Axel Hurtig (Calgary, WHL), Eric Jamieson (Everett, WHL), Hunter Laing (Prince George, WHL), Henry Mews (Ottawa, OHL), Luke Misa (Brampton, OHL) and Etienne Morin (Moncton, QMJHL). Luke McNamara, in town on a try-out, has been released.

https://flamesnation.ca/news/calgary-flames-trim-their-training-camp-roster-eight-junior-players-re-assigned?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is when the team needs to try different line combos. What if he works really well with Zary or Pospisil, or even Kadri? If they don't try things we continue down a path where we think, just because Johnny played well with Monahan, you can't try new things.

what if Coranato is better suited with a top 6. I don't like to give players a below average center/player and be the only skill guy on a line. It stifles their creativity. if a guy can't take a pass or give a proper pass then it's like fitting a square peg in a round whole. 

if you want to build a fourth line of all skilled prospects to give them NHL time, that is one thing, but giving them Rooney or someone of similar or lower capabilities then you're not developing the prospect. unless the choice is to play them up the lineup from time to time, that is another thing. 

i get that some prospects might be better than some fourth liners, but if they can't steal a spot up the lineup, I don't think a 4th line is where to develop a prospect in the NHL. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Awesome. The CHL starts pdq. Hopefully they get a couple of practice reps in, as preseason is done.

Lukey can tell his bro and Martone how awesome Calgary is.😜

Martone is going to have a MONSTER year. Misa can join him.

I'm really liking the competition at D. Everyone is having a strong camp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

This is when the team needs to try different line combos. What if he works really well with Zary or Pospisil, or even Kadri? If they don't try things we continue down a path where we think, just because Johnny played well with Monahan, you can't try new things.

what if Coranato is better suited with a top 6. I don't like to give players a below average center/player and be the only skill guy on a line. It stifles their creativity. if a guy can't take a pass or give a proper pass then it's like fitting a square peg in a round whole. 

if you want to build a fourth line of all skilled prospects to give them NHL time, that is one thing, but giving them Rooney or someone of similar or lower capabilities then you're not developing the prospect. unless the choice is to play them up the lineup from time to time, that is another thing. 

i get that some prospects might be better than some fourth liners, but if they can't steal a spot up the lineup, I don't think a 4th line is where to develop a prospect in the NHL. 

He's not moving Kuzmenko, Mantha or Coleman is the problem. Hopefully he's okay lighting up the A.

They say Huby and Mantha are tight. I hope that matters.

You can all laugh at me, but I'm telling you, one of the most dominant players I've ever seen is Mantha.

I mean unstoppable. No problem throwing up 8 points in 3 games. Then. Oh then....the motivation and gaf goes in the toilet for the next 25 games...going through the motions.

I really hope he came here to help pull Huberdeau from the ashes. I'm so done hoping Mantha does anything different from his past. It's hard to watch. All the skill and size in the world, then you see a, "yeah, whatever" attitude on the ice. Just float.

If, for some reason I'm probably making up, he came here with a, "f$#@ this Huberdeau-skewing" attitude, we'd be in for an absolute treat. Forgive me for doubting it.

He's my all-time "bust". Because he has it all to be a world beater. He just doesn't care, it seems.

Prove me wrong.

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

He's not moving Kuzmenko, Mantha or Coleman is the problem. Hopefully he's okay lighting up the A.

You can all laugh at me, but I'm telling you, one of the most dominant players I've ever seen is Mantha.

I mean unstoppable. No problem throwing up 8 points in 3 games. Then. Oh then....the motivation and gaf goes in the toilet for the next 25 games...going through the motions.

I really hope he came here to help pull Huberdeau from the ashes. I'm so done hoping Mantha does anything different from his past. It's hard to watch. All the skill and size in the world, then you see a, "yeah, whatever" attitude on the ice. Just float.

If, for some reason I'm probably making up, he came here with a, "f$#@ this Huberdeau-skewing" attitude, we'd be in for an absolute treat. Forgive me for doubting it.

He's my all-time "bust". Because he has it all to be a world beater. He just doesn't care, it seems.

Prove me wrong.

Guys like these are essential when you're in danger of losing your 1st round pick if it's not top 10.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Prove me wrong.

It would be tough to get Coronato in the top nine. Does Coleman move the fourth line? Probably not but Coronato deserves middle six if he keeps his play up.

Mock lines

Kuzy Kadri Sharky

Hubey Pops Mantha

Zary Backs Coronato

4th option list

Coleman

Lombo

Pelts

Rooney

Klapka

Duehr

Schmidt

Honzek

I don't think Pospisil "has" to be a top nine player. I think his skillset can be just as effective on a 4th line as a 2nd line, because his value is never going to be point production. The Flames trying him at centre throws the biggest wrench into all of this, but if he ends up playing wing. That's where you can find a scoring role for Coronato. I  think Lomberg and Pospisil on a line together would be fun. 

Season is more of a marathon than a sprint and training camp always seems to blur that. 

I have no issues with Coronato starting the season in the AHL. There's going to be injuries, there's going to be changes, disappointment's, and likely player movement that will open things up as the season goes along. 

I woudln't view it as a priority right now to try and get him more involved. 

57 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think Pospisil "has" to be a top nine player. I think his skillset can be just as effective on a 4th line as a 2nd line, because his value is never going to be point production. The Flames trying him at centre throws the biggest wrench into all of this, but if he ends up playing wing. That's where you can find a scoring role for Coronato. I  think Lomberg and Pospisil on a line together would be fun. 

Pospisil has sneaky scoring.  I wouldn't hesitate to play him up the depth charts.  He can handle the role.

2 hours ago, Otown72 said:

It would be tough to get Coronato in the top nine. Does Coleman move the fourth line? Probably not but Coronato deserves middle six if he keeps his play up.

Mock lines

Kuzy Kadri Sharky

Hubey Pops Mantha

Zary Backs Coronato

4th option list

Coleman

Lombo

Pelts

Rooney

Klapka

Duehr

Schmidt

Honzek

I'd be inclined to try it like this as well:

Huberdeau, Zary/Pospisil, Mantha

I think Zary is the type to move the puck up the ice. It seemed Posps was the same. Huberdeau needs a guy who is a one-touch guy, who continues moving up ice. I think the play needs to be quick passes for him, which I think is why Huberdeau tends to pass into no-mans-land. If the play was like that, those passes would be more open for him. 

19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Prove me wrong.

I think he may just get it...Finally.  There is no retirement job available for guys that just want to float.  Want a good retirement contract (5+ years)?  Produce like you want one.  Score 30.  Show up.  Look like Kuzmenko does on the bench, you know, like someone is there for a reason and that reason is to score and win.  Scoring isn't everything, but if you don't do that and don't stop them, what is the point.

As far as Pelletier, there is no point in waiving him.  He has played in the AHL and it's a bit of a waste.  He's not going to get any better experience there.  AHL Minutes doesn't translate to development for a kid like that.  13th or 14th forward and let him knock someone out of the 12 in practice or the limited minutes he gets in a game.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he may just get it...Finally. 

Don't hold your breath. He's left many a fan completely bewildered.

I'm literally clutching at straws that he takes Huberdeau's fall from grace personally.

He is an enigma. A $10 per guy if he actually cared to be one. He doesn't, it would seem.

Get prepared for, "easily 1st star", to, "why is he even here"?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Don't hold your breath. He's left many a fan completely bewildered.

I'm literally clutching at straws that he takes Huberdeau's fall from grace personally.

He is an enigma. A $10 per guy if he actually cared to be one. He doesn't, it would seem.

Get prepared for, "easily 1st star", to, "why is he even here"?

Oh, we have seen that before.  I don't expect him to be different, but I do think he maybe is looking at his fall from grace as being something he can control.  At the worst, he's an expiring asset or a TDL move.  Get something for nothing.  At best, he re-invents himself and we have a big long term (less than 5 years) playa.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Oh, we have seen that before.  I don't expect him to be different, but I do think he maybe is looking at his fall from grace as being something he can control.  At the worst, he's an expiring asset or a TDL move.  Get something for nothing.  At best, he re-invents himself and we have a big long term (less than 5 years) playa.

They say him and Huby are close. I'm clinging to that.

You see his most goals in a season is, like, 23? He likely did that in the 16 games that he wasn't low energy, drifting around like a lazy, don't gaf pr!ck.

He's happy at a few mil per. He won't put in the effort for more.

I don't mind verbally ravaging him. I'll be the 1st to say, "get this guy out of here" within a dozen games.

If Coronato gets a call-up, my money's on Mantha.

Conroy's splaying out, "just put in the effort" at everyone.

Signs Mantha.

I...have...no...words...for that, ummm, irony, oxymoron, juxtaposition, whatever you wanna call it.

If he is coming here to hide and be Wings v2, I'm going to be effing relentless.

Oh well...he's still a better option than Laine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You see his most goals in a season is, like, 23? He likely did that in the 16 games that he wasn't low energy, drifting around like a lazy, don't gaf pr!ck.

I don't mind verbally ravaging him. I'll be the 1st to say, "get this guy out of here" within a dozen games.

Signs Mantha.

I...have...no...words...for that, ummm, irony, oxymoron, juxtaposition, whatever you wanna call it.

If he is coming here to hide and be Wings v2, I'm going to be effing relentless.

Perhaps the scouting is not seeing the lazy.

I look at the Mantha signing as a it of a reclamation project.

His best year was 20% on shots taken.

If he could get 3 per game, then that could easily be 30 goals if he converts at around 12%. 

The contract was one year.  It's low enough to trade.

It doesn't set him up here for $5M if he has a great year.

No different than signing Barrie; easy to move him.

Helps the PP develop better assuming he is as much a teacher as participant.

But Huska pointed out, we are not a young team.

Low average age, but a lot in the 30's.

We can't just trade every 20+ year old and maintain the cap floor.

Coronato is an odd case.  Looks great now.

Can he continue that into week 1.

Can he play well without the puck.

Those are my questions about him.

Don't block him, but make sure he can handle the challenge.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps the scouting is not seeing the lazy.

I look at the Mantha signing as a it of a reclamation project.

His best year was 20% on shots taken.

If he could get 3 per game, then that could easily be 30 goals if he converts at around 12%. 

The contract was one year.  It's low enough to trade.

It doesn't set him up here for $5M if he has a great year.

No different than signing Barrie; easy to move him.

Helps the PP develop better assuming he is as much a teacher as participant.

But Huska pointed out, we are not a young team.

Low average age, but a lot in the 30's.

We can't just trade every 20+ year old and maintain the cap floor.

Coronato is an odd case.  Looks great now.

Can he continue that into week 1.

Can he play well without the puck.

Those are my questions about him.

Don't block him, but make sure he can handle the challenge.

The Caps paid a big price for Mantha at the time. Everybody sees the potential. He just doesn't feel like it more often than not, I'd conclude.

He's an enigma. He's as good as anyone on the ice or better...when he feels like it...

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Caps paid a big price for Mantha at the time. Everybody sees the potential. He just doesn't feel like it more often than not, I'd conclude.

He's an enigma. He's as good as anyone on the ice or better...when he feels like it...

Yeah, I hear ya.  I don't get it either.

Since he's not a Flames drafted player, I don't worry too much about him.

The Huberdeau connection may mean something to him, so I won't write him off yet.

I probably could be accused of giving a player too much rope.

image.jpeg.27c9ac0bb022d0c1f4984ca5e17f1310.jpeg

Coronato's 21. He's got lotsa runway ahead of him. Not like we're desperate for an ELC contract on the roster.

Keep working with him in the A.

Who saw Pops' call-up coming? Like, nobody but the Flames staff.

Him and Zary devastating the naysayers that, yes, we have a great dev program. lol

Let them help Coronato nail down his game. It'll happen.

I've read people saying, "don't see his fit". On this roster? Bwahaha. Most are misfits. Not being a fit is likely a good thing.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Signs Mantha.

An example that kids will play over vets if they outplay them?