24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

I'm in a few weeks early, I know.

Looking forward to a tumultuous camp. Can Pelletier or Coronato knock some spots around?

Is the D actually going to be this current manifestation, with all of this cap?

Do you envision any upsets to the roster beyond the current norm?

I think we'll see the roster going through a fair bit of transition this season.

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Looking forward to a tumultuous camp. Can Pelletier or Coronato knock some spots around?

I think we'll see the roster going through a fair bit of transition this season.

It's going to be awesome.    A lot of opportunity.   And that's assuming everyone's healthy.

Guys are going to get opportunities they normally would not, and it's going to be really interesting to see who rises to the challenge.  

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Conroy has said no more moves pending evaluation, so likely a very competitive camp and multiple moves before season start.  Should be fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Conroy has said no more moves pending evaluation, so likely a very competitive camp and multiple moves before season start.  Should be fun.

I can see moves being waited on for the TDL if there are any to be made. 

teams might be able to take on Kadri's salary at that time to fit under with accrued salary and then worry about their cap in the offseason. 

I'm hoping Misa leaves a good impression at camp. I've oft said he is Catton-lite. Catton's toolbox is elite in my humble opinion. Misa plays a very similar style, though the toolbox isn't as refined in some areas. I really don't think that Misa is 140 18yos worse than Catton.

He has MLBIAS Syndrome. My Little Brother Is A Star. It's fun that he knows Parekh really well due to supporting little bro.

He showed well at rookie camp, and I think he can show even better with better players around him.

He's not making the team, but I think showing a lot of promise shouldn't be too big of a stretch.

I'm a little concerned with the hold up signing Pelletier, and with what is actually happening with where Gridin will be playing?

I'm also concerned with Honzek. I hope he had a fantastic summer. Too many fans (notsomuch here) seem to trend to be downtrodden about him.

They should seriously keep it to themselves this early. It's kinda sad.

Lastly, I'm tired of hearing about Calgary's broken water mains. Really feel for you guys. These incidences are never isolated, yet it seems they were initially treated that way.

There is only one cause for underground utility breaks, no matter which industry. Human error. Either ignorance or incompetence. Has anyone thrown around, "budget restraints" yet? That ties into incompetence.

I left that industry for good some years ago. It's exhausting dealing with people treating inspection logs as god's word of 100% accuracy. They completely rely on them to do their jobs for them. They are only an indication of problems. You do the hands-on inspection, and it's met with, "well that doesn't make sense, the log doesn't say that".

90% of these well-educated and well-compensated idiots couldn't be bothered to actually leave the office to go to the field and physically look at their assets.

I do not miss that industry's incompetence in the slightest.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm hoping Misa leaves a good impression at camp. I've oft said he is Catton-lite. Catton's toolbox is elite in my humble opinion. Misa plays a very similar style, though the toolbox isn't as refined in some areas. I really don't think that Misa is 140 18yos worse than Catton.

He has MLBIAS Syndrome. My Little Brother Is A Star. It's fun that he knows Parekh really well due to supporting little bro.

He showed well at rookie camp, and I think he can show even better with better players around him.

He's not making the team, but I think showing a lot of promise shouldn't be too big of a stretch.

I'm a little concerned with the hold up signing Pelletier, and with what is actually happening with where Gridin will be playing?

I'm also concerned with Honzek. I hope he had a fantastic summer. Too many fans (notsomuch here) seem to trend to be downtrodden about him.

They should seriously keep it to themselves this early. It's kinda sad.

Lastly, I'm tired of hearing about Calgary's broken water mains. Really feel for you guys. These incidences are never isolated, yet it seems they were initially treated that way.

There is only one cause for underground utility breaks, no matter which industry. Human error. Either ignorance or incompetence. Has anyone thrown around, "budget restraints" yet? That ties into incompetence.

I left that industry for good some years ago. It's exhausting dealing with people treating inspection logs as god's word of 100% accuracy. They completely rely on them to do their jobs for them. They are only an indication of problems. You do the hands-on inspection, and it's met with, "well that doesn't make sense, the log doesn't say that".

90% of these well-educated and well-compensated idiots couldn't be bothered to actually leave the office to go to the field and physically look at their assets.

I do not miss that industry's incompetence in the slightest.

The take I last heard on Pelletier is that he wants a deal that makes it attractive to another team if he gets waived by Calgary.  A little off the wall, but in some ways maybe it makes sense.  Not taking a certain term because that would have teams considering it to be a throw-away deal?  I don't know.  Not like he has leverage, and not like he has put up killer numbers in a shortened season.

With Honzie, I think he has to have an injury free season in the A before he really gets noticed.  A specialized position doesn't help you get a callup unless you are killing it on that side.  If you show some versatility, then maybe you get a call with lesser numbers.  Regardless, he needs to have a injury free start to the season and build from there.  

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I can see moves being waited on for the TDL if there are any to be made. 

teams might be able to take on Kadri's salary at that time to fit under with accrued salary and then worry about their cap in the offseason. 

TDL sure, with established vets, but preseason relative to avoiding waiver moves may also be in the cards.  Unless Flames waive vets, I’m anticipating 2-3 waiver losses before the puck even drops…

I think what you see is what you are going to get in terms of their roster. I don't think the Flames are working on any adds and while I think they'd be open to weaponizing their cap space i've heard their price is high and they are not finding takers. I also don't think they want to bring in veterans and would rather have young players fight for the spots. I'm not anticipating much in the way of change between now and then. 

I think what to watch in training camp is pretty straightforward, how are these young players going to come in and earn spots or get better? I'm in particular looking at Pelletier and Coronato. What have you done in the offseason to grab a spot. 

On Parekh, how close are you? Does he get more than his 9 games? I think he'll start the season on the NHL roster but i'm curious if it will go past the 9 games or not. 

If we are looking for a potential camp surprise. i'm looking at Morton, Porier or Stromgren that could steal spots with strong camps. 

• Like 3

Blue Line has an interesting option
Can Porier steal a spot?

Can guys like Pelts and Coronato make a case on the PP unit?
Who earns the starting job in net?

Honzek might need another full year and be healthy before he is ready or maybe when Martha gets traded at the deadline😁

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The take I last heard on Pelletier is that he wants a deal that makes it attractive to another team if he gets waived by Calgary.  A little off the wall, but in some ways maybe it makes sense.  Not taking a certain term because that would have teams considering it to be a throw-away deal?  I don't know.  Not like he has leverage, and not like he has put up killer numbers in a shortened season. 

Not to be, "that guy", but I need a link to that to scrutinize, otherwise it's just a rumour from god knows where.

It's always number and term(s) in his predicament.

I hope the Flames show faith.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly:

He got called up, and our 4th line instantly looked solid and dangerous for the 2 games Sutter kept him there. Then he put way too much faith in a new rookie. Got all mad at him when he couldn't live up to unrealistic expectations.

Fwd to freak training camp injury last year. Fwd to kinda getting written off as the solid young prospect he is.

It doesn't make much sense to me.

Sign your prospects. This shouldn't be hard. He wants a 1-way? Fine.

He wants large money in the A. Sure. Whatevs.

We don't exactly have a cap problem. Are we honestly playing hardball with a top prospect who had some hard luck?

Isn't that the opposite of proving to young players that you're fully invested in them?

Wanna build a "culture"? It's a 2-way street.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We don't exactly have a cap problem. Are we honestly playing hardball with a top prospect who had some hard luck?

Isn't that the opposite of proving to young players that you're fully invested in them?

Wanna build a "culture"? It's a 2-way street.

I hope we are not nickle and diming our prospects.  That's what caused our stars to leave last time (in my opinion).  Yet, Pelletier didn't prove he was fully recovered from his shoulder injury.  I get the hesitation from Conroy.  A one year prove-it deal makes the most sense but I can see why Pelletier wants it to be one way so he doesn't have to get sent down to the AHL.  As it stands right now, Pelletier doesn't have a roster spot and I don't see how he outplays Lomberg and whoever is on LW.

For camp, I'm mostly just interested to see if Wolf is ready to be a starter or will need to be sheltered.  His progress will dictate the speed of our rebuild/retool.

Because honestly, the season could be over by November and we sell everything (which is a good thing long term).

I find it interesting that when it comes to the roster it's earned, not given for most people. Then bring up contracts and it's, just give them what they want. That feels contradictory to me especially when you factor in RFA vs UFA. 

I don't see reason to speculate about Pelletier (BTW Soloyvov is also unsigned) because what people often forget is he's already been given a fair offer by the Flames. He got a qualifying offer which for him means he got a two way contract offer at a 5% raise on his previous salary. With no leverage himself if I were the Flames I would tell him to take it or leave it too. 

56 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I find it interesting that when it comes to the roster it's earned, not given for most people. Then bring up contracts and it's, just give them what they want. That feels contradictory to me especially when you factor in RFA vs UFA. 

I don't see reason to speculate about Pelletier (BTW Soloyvov is also unsigned) because what people often forget is he's already been given a fair offer by the Flames. He got a qualifying offer which for him means he got a two way contract offer at a 5% raise on his previous salary. With no leverage himself if I were the Flames I would tell him to take it or leave it too. 

I agree. Maybe things would be different if he didn't get injured, but he hasn't really proven anything. He had a decent few games, but when back he didn't stick. Maybe he got back too early? But if he wasn't ready he should have kept rehabbing the injury.

Just play and earn the next contract. Earn leverage. If he's claimed he isn't worth keeping with this roster.

I'm mostly interested in the blueline this camp.

I think there are clearly four NHL D. Andersson, Weegar, Bahl, Bean. 

The other three are likely Pachal, Miromanov, Hanley. But I would suspect those three to be pushed. Solovyov/Kuznetsov/Poirier will make a push. Of course, excited to see Brzustewicz and Parekh as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

T minus a fortnight until the Youngstars tourney in Penticton.

Is this the strongest prospect roster we've ever had?

- trying desperately to discuss hockey again!!

Yes, same.  Someone mentioned yesterday it was 3 weeks till the Flames initial preseason game. It’s coming fast.  Have they started skating together yet?  

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think they’re easily the deepest team in that tourney. WPG would be 2nd. Edmonton and VAN, not so much.

Centre is the only position that’s thin, I would think. Let’s put together a hypothetical.

Basha-Honzek-Gridin

Misa-Lipinski-Battaglia

the bottom half of the forward group is tougher to project. Who, if any, Wranglers participate? probably see camp invites fill out of the bottom six. 6th rounder Hunter Laing will play in the tourney.

Morin-Parekh

Hurtig-Brzustewicz

Jurmo-Mews

not actually sure if Jurmo would play. He’s a bit older,  but being new to the NA game, it’s maybe not a bad thing.

In net, they’ve got some question marks.

The blueline is going to be fun to watch. Think they’re got four guys there with a legitimate chance to play in the NHL.

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think they’re easily the deepest team in that tourney. WPG would be 2nd. Edmonton and VAN, not so much.

Centre is the only position that’s thin, I would think. Let’s put together a hypothetical.

Basha-Honzek-Gridin

Misa-Lipinski-Battaglia

the bottom half of the forward group is tougher to project. Who, if any, Wranglers participate? probably see camp invites fill out of the bottom six. 6th rounder Hunter Laing will play in the tourney.

Morin-Parekh

Hurtig-Brzustewicz

Jurmo-Mews

not actually sure if Jurmo would play. He’s a bit older,  but being new to the NA game, it’s maybe not a bad thing.

In net, they’ve got some question marks.

The blueline is going to be fun to watch. Think they’re got four guys there with a legitimate chance to play in the NHL.

It will be great to watch, and I’m thankful it will be streamed.  First big indicator of where these prospects are at.

17 hours ago, cberg said:

It will be great to watch, and I’m thankful it will be streamed.  First big indicator of where these prospects are at.

Queue up the time of year that I'm so starved for hockey that I get waay overzealous about a really watered down jr tournament. lol

On 8/29/2024 at 2:29 PM, The_People1 said:

I hope we are not nickle and diming our prospects.  That's what caused our stars to leave last time (in my opinion).  Yet, Pelletier didn't prove he was fully recovered from his shoulder injury.  I get the hesitation from Conroy.  A one year prove-it deal makes the most sense but I can see why Pelletier wants it to be one way so he doesn't have to get sent down to the AHL.  As it stands right now, Pelletier doesn't have a roster spot and I don't see how he outplays Lomberg and whoever is on LW.

Are we talking about ice time or contracts?     I don't know that our NHL ready, contract-relevant players have a ton of star potential right now.   Wolf, yes.   Our 2024 picks, yes.  But they aren't NHL ready.    

I hope they give the young guys lots of opportunity but I also hope we save a little future cap space for when the 2024 draft matures, as well as future picks.

On 9/2/2024 at 5:46 AM, conundrumed said:

I'm excited too.   Really excited.   But I don't think it's anywhere near our strongest prospect roster "ever".   Strongest in the last 8 years?   Yeah.   I would say that, and that's enough to get excited about.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Are we talking about ice time or contracts?     I don't know that our NHL ready, contract-relevant players have a ton of star potential right now.   Wolf, yes.   Our 2024 picks, yes.  But they aren't NHL ready.    

I hope they give the young guys lots of opportunity but I also hope we save a little future cap space for when the 2024 draft matures, as well as future picks.

Trues enough.  Pelletier isn't a star so there's reason to squeeze him so his contract stays in line with others.  We have cap space but that doesn't mean we be irresponsible and throw money around.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Trues enough.  Pelletier isn't a star so there's reason to squeeze him so his contract stays in line with others.  We have cap space but that doesn't mean we be irresponsible and throw money around.

That's what I'm thinking there yes, I see it as a win-win because he could potentially get minutes he normally wouldn't get playing for Calgary this year.   So, yes, from a minutes point of view, I don't think the Flames should nickel and dime.  They should give their youth opportunities.

I another "advantage" so to speak, for players that might be interested, is that if a player like Pelletier plays Really well, they might get to join a playoff team at the trade deadline.    Some will like this, others won't.   But for a player like Pelletier, you would think that means more games and more experience and a chance to get established before he hits his prime.

I kind of see 2024 as the first draft-year of our rebuild, with a few exceptions like Wolf, in terms of acquiring our new core.     When it comes time to sign those guys to meaningful contracts, which won't be a for a while,  I would hope we'll be in an excellent cap position But Even Then, not go crazy.    Guys want long term?  Maybe you give it to them.  Guys want a huge fat contract to "stay in Canada"?   Let them leave Canada and trade them for loads while they are valuable top prospects.

Back to camp talk, yeah.   The players I am most interested in, I'm not expecting to make the team (yet).  Parekh, Honzek, Gridin, Basha, Battaglia, Misa, and a Lot more from the 2024 draft...  any chance of Zarubin?  I suppose not.

Hopefully some PTO surprises too.

Speaking of PTOs lots of rumors the Flames are brining in Tyson Barrie on one. Think they've held off announcing it for obvious reasons.

Also an annual reminder before we panic about PTOs, you are required to dress a certain amount of veterans (8 to be exact) for every game in the pre-season and the Flames will have a split squad games during the pre season. 

• Like 1