2024 Free Agency

On 6/17/2024 at 8:24 PM, robrob74 said:

something to consider is any new players have to learn to play the system 

True, but it's not really that complicated. Hockey is not a very technical game when it comes to systems at least not IMO. Most of the stuff you see in the NHL players will ahve played at some point in time in their life. 

The adjustment is more to lifestyle. Coach communication, teammates, on ice, off ice etc. That's what takes time. 

Daily Faceoff top 75 Free agents including a projection of what their contracts might be. 

doesn't change anything for me and most of the bigger name I would be avoiding. Would add OEL as a potential dman target (although unlikely he wants to come here)

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/vancouver-canucks-expected-to-make-strong-play-for-jake-guentzel-in-free-agency?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

With the acquisition of Bahl I do think the Flames d core is taking shape for next year. I still think they need a veteran in there though.

I still expect Kylington to re sign

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Guess this puts Talbot on the target list now ..and seeing a few reports flames intend to speak with Monahan 

Zary and Pospisil have asked to play Center.  So, let's add Monahan this summer.

What why?

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With the acquisition of Bahl I do think the Flames d core is taking shape for next year. I still think they need a veteran in there though.

I still expect Kylington to re sign

I will ignore the pairs for the moment, since Kylington could fit in several places, since his skating helps helps his partner.  4 of 6 are RHS.  3 of 6 are able to play LD effectively.  Thinking of vets, I wonder if Brodie could slot into the top 6, moving Pachal down to 7.  His skating is (used to be at least) similar to Kylington.  Ras and Weegar tend to get caught a little flat footed.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Guess this puts Talbot on the target list now ..and seeing a few reports flames intend to speak with Monahan 

Talbot only makes sense if we are moving on from Vladar.  In the first year of a transition to a new younger team, keeping the youth together to figure out how to win together probably makes more sense.  If we bottom out, that is part of the progression.  It's not going to kill our goaltending.  The D will adjust.  The F will adjust.

I've always like Mony.  I don't have his jersey, but I do have a blank one.  LOL.  But, I don't know the logic of signing a 2/3 C.  1C is the issue, not 2C or 3C.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Zary and Pospisil have asked to play Center.  So, let's add Monahan this summer.

What why?

Wanting to play and best used are 2 different things .. Yegor wants to play center too but his production was way higher on the wing .

Zary plays great with Kadri..no need to break that up...and even if you did use Pospisil at C, he's definitely not a first line C 

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Talbot only makes sense if we are moving on from Vladar.  In the first year of a transition to a new younger team, keeping the youth together to figure out how to win together probably makes more sense.  If we bottom out, that is part of the progression.  It's not going to kill our goaltending.  The D will adjust.  The F will adjust.

I've always like Mony.  I don't have his jersey, but I do have a blank one.  LOL.  But, I don't know the logic of signing a 2/3 C.  1C is the issue, not 2C or 3C.

💯..I believe he might get moved..it's more important for Wolf to mentor behind a vet 

Also, the bolded part says to me they don't plan to run Wolf and Vladar next season

And on this team ..Mony IS a 1c ..he immediately becomes our best C ...wins faceoffs..defends well which is important if he's gonna play with Hubie ..and he's likely to work very well with Hubie based on how well he played with Johnny 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

True, but it's not really that complicated. Hockey is not a very technical game when it comes to systems at least not IMO. Most of the stuff you see in the NHL players will ahve played at some point in time in their life. 

The adjustment is more to lifestyle. Coach communication, teammates, on ice, off ice etc. That's what takes time. 

That's what I think too, but then you see a guy like Huberdeau struggle acclimating. I just wonder if it's due to expectations on the defensive end of the game now, as opposed to not playing it in Florida. But there are some players that just don't fit a system maybe?

18 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Wanting to play and best used are 2 different things .. Yegor wants to play center too but his production was way higher on the wing .

Zary plays great with Kadri..no need to break that up...and even if you did use Pospisil at C, he's definitely not a first line C 

Winning shouldn't even be prioritized.  Zary and Pospisil should be.  If we are building the 2027/28 team to be competitive then let's start giving Zary and Pospisil experience at Center right away.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What why?

Agreed. while cool for sentimental reasons I think Monahan is not a good practical target outside of having him sign a 1 year deal so they can get something for him at the TDL (something I doubt he's interested in)

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I will ignore the pairs for the moment, since Kylington could fit in several places, since his skating helps helps his partner.  4 of 6 are RHS.  3 of 6 are able to play LD effectively.  Thinking of vets, I wonder if Brodie could slot into the top 6, moving Pachal down to 7.  His skating is (used to be at least) similar to Kylington.  Ras and Weegar tend to get caught a little flat footed.

Brodie would be my number 1 target in FA. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That's what I think too, but then you see a guy like Huberdeau struggle acclimating. I just wonder if it's due to expectations on the defensive end of the game now, as opposed to not playing it in Florida. But there are some players that just don't fit a system maybe?

I think for sure certain players and certain skill sets thrive or struggle in different circumstances and philosophies and I do thikn Huberdeau's skill set is not a good match for how the Flames play. I don't think it's an offense vs defense thing, it's that Huberdeau thrives on up tempo, being a part of (but not leading transition play) and movement in the o zone. Unfortunately the Flames struggle in all of those areas. 

I don't think it's that Huberdeau was not asked to play defense in Florida and now is. Too simplistic. 

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Winning shouldn't even be prioritized.  Zary and Pospisil should be.  If we are building the 2027/28 team to be competitive then let's start giving Zary and Pospisil experience at Center right away.

You develop them by putting them in the best Position to succeed and grow.. I'm sure there will be situations where they can get that experience..but Zary thrived alongside Kadri..it makes sense to let him keep developing there..

Just like when Zary got benched during the garbage run to end the season I was all for that ..every game matters.... Mistakes will be made and you address them , but the message is you play to win 

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

You develop them by putting them in the best Position to succeed and grow.. I'm sure there will be situations where they can get that experience..but Zary thrived alongside Kadri..it makes sense to let him keep developing there..

Just like when Zary got benched during the garbage run to end the season I was all for that ..every game matters.... Mistakes will be made and you address them , but the message is you play to win 

We can still win if they play Center.

Sharangovich, who cares.  We just pumping his stats to trade him.  Keep him where he is the most productive.

Zary and Pospisil though.  Play them at Center until they are vets at Center.

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

For me, I want to try other guys there, and see if anything sticks. I dunno if Zary will thrive or not on his own, but won't know until we try it. I think the Flames problems in the last retool was that they stuck with what worked for way too long and not tried new things. Keeping Tkachuk with Backlund, while good his first few years, might have slowed his potential by not putting him with Gaudreau earlier. Likewise, something they did with Bennett, but they didn't want to break up Monahan and Gaudreau. While for good reason, there was also reason to try new things. They didn't even try Bennett and Tkachuk together. That could have been a thing, but Tkachuk was doing good with Backlund, so they didn't even try it.

But I am just saying, we see new players thrive, rookies, because they're played with the talent that they deserve to play with. We don't see that enough with the Flames. I think every player has earned the right to be tried there, instead of starting them on the 4th line and having to work their ways up the roster. We have this notion that they need to do it that way, I think earning a spot, is being tried on it, and thriving. The earning is in Thriving, and if they don't, you know they're not ready.

I hope the Flames give Zary some time at centre. Will it work? I’m not sure.

With Backlund and Kadri, they can insulate Zary. They can give him some favourable matchups. Doesn’t have to go head to head with McDavid.

I would like to see if Zary can play C a lot more than giving a UFA a six year deal 

• Like 2

I posted this in the "shopping list thread" but with this discussion, we should consider this here as well.

The Flames need:

A play driver for the top line. Someone who pushes the D with speed, creates space in the O zone and goes to the net. This could be a C or RW. If Sharangovich or Zary can be the shooter from C for Huberdeau, then a RW would work. If Kuzmenko is the shooter from the right side, then need a C. While I like Monahan, he doesn't drive the play the way Huberdeau needs. Kadri mucks it up in front of the net, but doesn't drive the line to create space. I don't expect a huge name necessarily, just someone who does the job needed. (See Conroy for Tanguay and Iginla).

A puck distributor for the second line. Does not need to be as high end as Huberdeau, but someone with great vision. Kadri and Zary play well together so who compliments them? If Pelletier is healthy and in the correct mind frame, he is likely a great player for this spot.

A stabilizing G to support in mentoring Wolf. Could be a starter while Wolf learns as a backup, or a more Veteran Backup to let Wolf learn on the job.

Another LSD. Bahl helps on the bottom pair, Kylington is likely a top 4 D if he re-signs while Hanley is best on the bottom pair with spot duty mid pair. It could work without another LSD but it wouldn't hurt to add more.

Mangiapane is likely superfluous for the team and should be traded. Not that I dislike him, he just is not the player needed for any current line chemistry. He does not drive the play himself, and is more of a supporting cast player on this team. He should be 2nd line shooter on another team, but doesn't fit the make up here. Easier to replace him on LW than try and find a RW that fits his style.

In the same breath, Sharangovich and / or Kuzmenko are in a similar position. For them, it really depends on what can be found to work on the top 2 lines. They are both more shoot first, so need someone to compliment them. One of the 2 likely becomes expendable as they ultimately fill a similar role at similar cost. The only way both stay, is if Zary can be the play driving C on the top line, pushing one of these 2 players to Kadri's RW. Where does this leave Coronato?

For the third / Backlund line, Coleman still fits here perfectly. What is the best compliment for them? Does Coronato fit or is he trying to push out Sharangovich / Kuzmenko? Maybe this is a good spot for Klapka on RW to learn and develop.

If Pospisil moves to C on the 4th line, Rooney supporting isn't a bad move, and then someone like a Greer works well for energy and physicality. 

Basically, unless Zary or Sharangovich can be the #1 C, you need to move Mangiapane, and at least 1 of Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, and Coronato. Just not enough space for all of them in the roles they fill.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

We can still win if they play Center.

Sharangovich, who cares.  We just pumping his stats to trade him.  Keep him where he is the most productive.

Zary and Pospisil though.  Play them at Center until they are vets at Center.

I think that Zary at C is a good idea, but I would set them up on their own line.  Maybe Sharky is the best, as he is still just 26.  Or Coronato.  Give them sheltered starts until they take over as the top line.  Sacrifice Huberdeau with Backlund.  Have Kadri with Kuzmenko and the Mangiapane replacement.  4th line is built for speed with what is left.  Maybe that's Morton, Pelletier, Klapka, Schwindt and Rooney.  I think Hunt is more of a grinder, so that may not exactly fit the idea of getting faster.  Rooney is okay, but isn't a long term fit.  

I don't think Sharky is a guy they expect to trade.  They may do that with Kuzmenko, and there is arguments to both sides of that idea.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

I think that Zary at C is a good idea, but I would set them up on their own line.  Maybe Sharky is the best, as he is still just 26.  Or Coronato.  Give them sheltered starts until they take over as the top line.  Sacrifice Huberdeau with Backlund.  Have Kadri with Kuzmenko and the Mangiapane replacement.  4th line is built for speed with what is left.  Maybe that's Morton, Pelletier, Klapka, Schwindt and Rooney.  I think Hunt is more of a grinder, so that may not exactly fit the idea of getting faster.  Rooney is okay, but isn't a long term fit.  

I don't think Sharky is a guy they expect to trade.  They may do that with Kuzmenko, and there is arguments to both sides of that idea.  

Huberdeau and Zary are here long term.  So play them together to build chemistry.  Maybe try Coronato on the RW with those two.

Mange - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko can build chemistry together to pump each other's stats for trades.  Whatever chemistry they build, who cares because they are not part of the 2027 team.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Huberdeau and Zary are here long term.  So play them together to build chemistry.  Maybe try Coronato on the RW with those two.

Mange - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko can build chemistry together to pump each other's stats for trades.  Whatever chemistry they build, who cares because they are not part of the 2027 team.

Mange won't be here in 2025, so no idea why you are lining them up.

He probably gets traded this summer or TDL at the latest.

if this summer, then we are bringing in a winger.

If you want to build a line with Kadri, who is here long term, put him with a finisher like Kuz.

It's been forever since we had a guy that could fill the net.

He's wiry.

Say it with me, wiry.

It's fun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQDwfc82d-zjz2KLiW7dS

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Mange won't be here in 2025, so no idea why you are lining them up.

He probably gets traded this summer or TDL at the latest.

if this summer, then we are bringing in a winger.

If you want to build a line with Kadri, who is here long term, put him with a finisher like Kuz.

It's been forever since we had a guy that could fill the net.

He's wiry.

Say it with me, wiry.

It's fun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQDwfc82d-zjz2KLiW7dS

Kuz should not be here long term either.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'd maybe go:

Huberdeau, Zary, Sharingovich (Can alternate C's on this line)

Pospisil, Kadri, Coronato

Pelletier, Pospisil, Kuzmenko

Coleman, Backlund, Greer/Duehr/Rook

Kind of leave that last spot open for a young player to want it and sign a player to play the 4th line.

Eric Duhatschek in the Athletic mentioned he thinks the Flames are happy to see Vladar come back healthy this year and perhaps take the net. They've mentioned him in trade talks but they've been asking for a lot.

Take it for what it's worth but I fully expect a Wolf-Vladar tandem next season with someone signed for AHL depth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Eric Duhatschek in the Athletic mentioned he thinks the Flames are happy to see Vladar come back healthy this year and perhaps take the net. They've mentioned him in trade talks but they've been asking for a lot.

Take it for what it's worth but I fully expect a Wolf-Vladar tandem next season with someone signed for AHL depth. 

I believe you may be right..my only concern is if they really stumble there really aren't many options to fall back on .. Talbot is about the only goalie in UFA who's any good. I'm still hoping they jump on him 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

I believe you may be right..my only concern is if they really stumble there really aren't many options to fall back on .. Talbot is about the only goalie in UFA who's any good. I'm still hoping they jump on him 

There isn't, but if you have any sort of belief in Wolf and or Vladar what do you get by waiting?

This is the year to do it so I think there is greater risk in continuing to punt this down the road. If it fails so what, what's really been lost? Nothing IMO. 

Signing someone like Talbot is a complete waste IMO. 

• Like 1