GDT - Ducks at Flames - Tuesday April 2, 2024 - 7:00PM MDT

Just now, robrob74 said:

Shouldn't they be playing Wolf? I guess Coach has learned from Sutter-ism.

No idea what they think.  Technically not eliminated yet?

91 points possible by winning out.

Likely nowhere close to a chance in H..E..Double Hockey Sticks in making it.

LA needs 5 points and NAS needs 2 to elimate us.

And that's assuming we win out.

Just now, robrob74 said:

Never bet for or against this team, you can't figure out what you'll get...

It's a darn good thing Wolf isn't playing.

Much more important to watch the team lose, sitting on the bench.

Learn how to lose kid.

Watch how it's done.

Hold the door for me while you're at it.

Only about half the players came to play in this one.

Kadri line was really good. You can just see the fire in Kuzmenko to get more after he pots the first one.

Liked Pachal and Kylington for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

And this was supposed to be a "for sure W".

Haha. This needs to happen.

Games like this should be learning moments for Wolf, not watching moments.

What exactly is the use of continuing to give Markstrom every game.

It hasn't helped all season.

While I don't blame the goalie, he certainly didn't steal this for us.

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

And this was supposed to be a "for sure W".

Haha. This needs to happen.

Ya man.  At home to a tired road team that's 3rd worst in the NHL.  We found a way to get it done.

OTT lost so we had to keep pace.  MTL wins too.  

I never root for them to lose.  Not even me, not even now.

Awesome seeing Kuzmenko find himself.

but I do feel like it's ....you know... "our turn".

To not go on a random bs hot streak for no reason.

to get lucky at the lotto.

something.    

it's gotta be our turn soon.

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I never root for them to lose.  Not even me, not even now.

Awesome seeing Kuzmenko find himself.

but I do feel like it's ....you know... "our turn".

To not go on a random bs hot streak for no reason.

to get lucky at the lotto.

something.    

it's gotta be our turn soon.

There are many cases where a team ruined a player, at least temporarily.  VAN went hard after Kuzmenko and he did what they expected him to do in his first season.  Not so much in his 2nd season and he eventually fell out of favor with the coach.  The rest of the F were overperforming and he was underperforming.  He was given a less prominent role and lost ice time.  For the money, he was their Mangiapane, without the defensive play.  When we got him, we first focused on getting his game back to 200 feet, or "engaged" as they called it.  Sat for a game.  He wasn't happy just scoring a goal (like an EN or one in a losing effort), he wanted to be a difference maker.  He looks more comfortable with Kadri and Pospisil (or Zary).  

My beef is not winning games in the last month of the season.  It's about playing every game like winning is the only thing to consider.  Fine to have a culture of winning and hold players accountable for anything less than their best effort, but we also have a duty to continue development of players that have not yet reached vet status.  Not officially eliminated, but almost there.  That's not on the players, it's on the coach.  Wolf is sitting doing nothing.  He will be heading to the AHL playoffs as the starter.  He could very well be the backup next season depending on the GM and the health of Vladar.

obviously a really poorly played game by pretty much everyone. Sure the Kadri line had some points but they weren’t good defensively nor in transition. 

this is a team that is just playing out the season. I didn’t think they could get to the Top 8 but that’s looking very possible now. 

Gotta love Weegar's comments:

#FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png MacKenzie Weegar: “I know that I personally have more care for the next guy beside me to play better. I know there’s a lot of guys in this room that can play better for that next guy beside you. Tonight, it was one of those games where you take a look in the mirror.” 1/2 x.com/WesGilbertson/…

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There are many cases where a team ruined a player, at least temporarily.  VAN went hard after Kuzmenko and he did what they expected him to do in his first season.  Not so much in his 2nd season and he eventually fell out of favor with the coach.  The rest of the F were overperforming and he was underperforming.  He was given a less prominent role and lost ice time.  For the money, he was their Mangiapane, without the defensive play.  When we got him, we first focused on getting his game back to 200 feet, or "engaged" as they called it.  Sat for a game.  He wasn't happy just scoring a goal (like an EN or one in a losing effort), he wanted to be a difference maker.  He looks more comfortable with Kadri and Pospisil (or Zary).  

My beef is not winning games in the last month of the season.  It's about playing every game like winning is the only thing to consider.  Fine to have a culture of winning and hold players accountable for anything less than their best effort, but we also have a duty to continue development of players that have not yet reached vet status.  Not officially eliminated, but almost there.  That's not on the players, it's on the coach.  Wolf is sitting doing nothing.  He will be heading to the AHL playoffs as the starter.  He could very well be the backup next season depending on the GM and the health of Vladar.

Here's my rules:

The GM can dump the end of season (after TDL), and this is okay.  He's a manager, not a player.
    Conroy did this I would say 50% of the way.  I wanted him to trade Markstrom but I'm not even sure that would have created more losses.  I just wanted the picks.
    Conroy also made a couple really good trades (still bitter about Markstrom, but..)... that I think will look better and better over time.
                 So yes he sold at the TDL but I don't know that the team actually got worse.

I see a lot of positives in what Conroy did, but I think he could have dumped a bit harder actually, and still slept at night.

Players and coaches should never dump.    This, is never okay.  There's a line.   I've wanted this team to rebuild for years but I've never wanted the players to take that on, ever.  Or even the coach.   

Don't do stupid things.    This is where we've got caught in the past.   Most specifically, playing guys injured into the end of a meaningless season.   
                                           Or for that matter, playing guys injured, Ever.

Playing guys inured is a vicious cycle.   On average, you shorten their careers, and their primes.

Thus, playing guys injured leads to a talent shortage.

So what does the team do?   Well they make up for it by...yeah....playing guys injured.

Just....it is everyone's responsibility...coach, gm, doctors, players...to get the most out of their careers and their primes.

Do that, and you won't have shortages all the time.

So.  I think this is where we've often seen these late-season runs...bad decisions being made to go for that "playoff spot".
                                             So you win 5 meaningless games and lose 10 more the following year.

I haven't seen it this season.  Fingers crossed.

Seldom are we this far out of it, so I would say in other years there was an incentive for players to play.

And coaches to trust the player's jusgement, assuming the trainers and docs said it was 50/50 or better.

I think if in question, shut them down unless they are a pending UFA you have no interest in.

But then why are you playing a guy like that?

Where does that leave us?  We had Markstrom out, and now he is playing?

We are still penalizing young players but not holding the vets to the same standard.

Zary was not goog on a shift where ANA scored, but was he any worse than the other two?

Only Zary saw the 4th line of that bunch.

It actually made it worse for us.