Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree in theory. 

would point out that the Flames are not eligible for all offer sheets. Can't use their first rounder as there are conditions tied to it. 

I don't think they should be in the market for anything involving the 1st round pick, even if they were able to.

Using a 2025 2nd to take a shot at a guy like Sillinger would be interesting. Marchenko has arb rights, a one year offersheet could handcuff CBJ.

It's a moot point because nobody uses offersheets. It's just bizarre that there's a method of player acquisition that goes unused. 

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's viewed as bad faith. And it is. "Okay, who's your next player with a difficult negotiation"?

It's asking for trouble, imo.

You’re 100% correct that’s how GM’s view it.

But the retaliatory offersheet can make you look very foolish. Look at Carolina. They offersheet Kotkaniemi,  now they’re stuck with him. Was it worth it? Probably not 

So, Jacob Trouba trade.  Discuss.

2 years at $8M.

What would they offer in that trade?

It's weird because you don't generallly trade the captain.

Maybe they are expecting to land a ton of assets in the trade.

Positives?

Not on the wong side of a Trouba hit at least 2 games per year.

Provides cover for the D, since the F are looking up when they have the puck.

Negatives?

2 years at $8M for another RD.

Not the nicest person in the world.

I don't know, it's an odd player to make available.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

2 years at $8M.

Positives?

Negatives?

So he had one bad playoff round and they want to trade him?  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

2 years at $8M.

Positives?

Negatives?

He doesn’t want to move as NY is where his wife is doing her residency to become a doctor. He has a 15 team NTC, which you can guarantee Calgary is on. 

I wonder if Carolina is looking to move Kotkaniemi. I think since they lost out on Guentzel that they will look keep Necas who they have to re-sign. They also have to re-sign Jarvis. That will eat most of their cap if not all of it. 

Kotkaniemi hasn’t worked out, and they have other players to take his spot at a cheaper cap hit. This could be a spot where Conroy can grab a 23 year center for cheap.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Carolina is looking to move Kotkaniemi. I think since they lost out on Guentzel that they will look keep Necas who they have to re-sign. They also have to re-sign Jarvis. That will eat most of their cap if not all of it. 

Kotkaniemi hasn’t worked out, and they have other players to take his spot at a cheaper cap hit. This could be a spot where Conroy can grab a 23 year center for cheap.

$4.8-mil x 6-years.  Flames also have options cheaper than Kotkaniemi like Zary, for example.  I mean, the Flames don't have a shortage of mid-6 Centers.  Even Pospisil can move to Center long term.  We need that bonafide #1 Center and that's not Kotkaniemi.  

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

$4.8-mil x 6-years.  Flames also have options cheaper than Kotkaniemi like Zary, for example.  I mean, the Flames don't have a shortage of mid-6 Centers.  Even Pospisil can move to Center long term.  We need that bonafide #1 Center and that's not Kotkaniemi.  

Agreed, we have an excess of signed players now, so if the targeted player isn't part of the solution we need to steer clear.  Morton and Schwindt are two additional Cs that will be looking to advance in the near term also.  

The team is in a good position right now, so unless we're looking for a hockey trade moving someone out, or taking a salary dump where we are able to move someone out as well, it is hard to see the need for any more moves...

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So he had one bad playoff round and they want to trade him?  

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

He doesn’t want to move as NY is where his wife is doing her residency to become a doctor. He has a 15 team NTC, which you can guarantee Calgary is on. 

I find it odd that the story is out there.  What is the point of trading Trouba?  They don't need it to finish signing anyone.  They might be thin on D with only $8M or so left with Lingren and Schneider unsigned, but so what.  They trade him, they have another big hole.

One can never predict where a pleyr like that lists on his NTC.  Non-playoff teams from last season?  Rebuilding teams?  Teams in Canada?  Maybe it's like Kadri; list the teams that would be able to make a trade.  Haha.  If I was him I would stay away.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I find it odd that the story is out there.  What is the point of trading Trouba?  They don't need it to finish signing anyone.  They might be thin on D with only $8M or so left with Lingren and Schneider unsigned, but so what.  They trade him, they have another big hole.

One can never predict where a pleyr like that lists on his NTC.  Non-playoff teams from last season?  Rebuilding teams?  Teams in Canada?  Maybe it's like Kadri; list the teams that would be able to make a trade.  Haha.  If I was him I would stay away.

If I'm not mistaken, they moved him to 3rd pair D for the FLA series.  For $8-mil and playing 3rd pairing... Just not acceptable.

But anyways, I'm sure the Flames are on his NTC.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If I'm not mistaken, they moved him to 3rd pair D for the FLA series.  For $8-mil and playing 3rd pairing... Just not acceptable.

But anyways, I'm sure the Flames are on his NTC.

a lot of key players need new deals next year for the Rangers to. This is likely them trying to get out from the deal while he still has some value.

It's smart IMO.

22 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree in theory. 

would point out that the Flames are not eligible for all offer sheets. Can't use their first rounder as there are conditions tied to it. 

Saw an article today stating Flames should Offer Sheet Holloway or Broberg seeing as they are our rivals and we probably would be ok with not having to deal with the oilers.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jefsmi said:

Saw an article today stating Flames should Offer Sheet Holloway or Broberg seeing as they are our rivals and we probably would be ok with not having to deal with the oilers.

Are either worth a 2nd round draft choice and 4.5 m a year.?

7 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Are either worth a 2nd round draft choice and 4.5 m a year.?

Holloway

The 4.5M part is to cause EDM cap trouble.  Make it so it's not automatic that they match.

BY matching, they have to move more than one player.

Kane or Ceci alone won't solve it.

It's predatory at best.

For us, the value of a 2nd is compared to a NHL player that has developed slowly.

He would be a bottom 6 player here likely.

The 4.5M is same as w cap dump ast worst.

It would need to be 2 years for the cap to hurt.

One is enough, but 2 makes it worse.

Broburg

Probably worth a 2nd.  Not sure how I would feel paying 4.5M.

2 hours ago, jefsmi said:

Non-hockey months = hyperbole about offer sheets with every franchise.

The penalties are steep. It's just not worth it, why it's so rare.

The franchises are a tight-knit group.

The picks you have to give proves it's heavily dissuaded.

We're not throwing offer sheets around. Not even maybe. We're not all French. lol

If you're the Flames, would you buy a 1st round pick for 4 million dollars?

The Flyers have 800k in cap space and still need to sign a D-man. They've got Ryan Johansen with one year left at 4 mill.

The Flyers have three 1sts. Something the Flames should look at. Can easily afford to park Johansen in the minors, for one year.

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flyers have 800k in cap space and still need to sign a D-man. They've got Ryan Johansen with one year left at 4 mill.

The Flyers have three 1sts. Something the Flames should look at. Can easily afford to park Johansen in the minors, for one year.

PHI also planning to retool I think.  They need their picks.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Flyers seem to be spent to the cap.

There was some talk of moving Frost.

Frost + RJ might be very cheap.

Clears $6.1M

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

They’ve got three and two of them are EDM and COL. Late picks.

They’re half-in, half-out. Probably should have made the playoffs this year. Quite the collapse.

Makes sense for them to clear some cap. If they don’t they’re likely getting hit with a bonus overage in 25/26. Michkov.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Holloway

The 4.5M part is to cause EDM cap trouble.  Make it so it's not automatic that they match.

BY matching, they have to move more than one player.

Kane or Ceci alone won't solve it.

It's predatory at best.

For us, the value of a 2nd is compared to a NHL player that has developed slowly.

He would be a bottom 6 player here likely.

The 4.5M is same as w cap dump ast worst.

It would need to be 2 years for the cap to hurt.

One is enough, but 2 makes it worse.

Broburg

Probably worth a 2nd.  Not sure how I would feel paying 4.5M.

I'd be all over Broberg ..

He projects as a 2-3 defenseman.. easily plays in our top 4 right now until others advance ..

Oilers already have to clear 2.5 .. $4.5 that's 7 mill they have to clear out and still try and sign Holloway ..it's practically a guarantee they can't match ..

Plus ..he's likely to sign it ..he was disgruntled and asking for a trade as recently as Xmas .. Holland refused to let his agent seek a trade .

2 years .. nothing to lose . Is it predatory?  Absolutely.. but it also benefits us with a player we can use ..

It will be at least a couple years before we best them on the scoreboard . Their fans like to point out " they broke us ".. it would be good business...and extremely funny as an added bonus 

If they match they almost guaranteed have to get rid of Kane ... Either way we win 

• Like 1

Broberg signing an offersheet would legitimately handcuff the Oilers. Especially on a 1yr deal.

An offersheet at 4.5, would put them 6.8m over the cap. They don't have any arbitration eligible players so there's no second buyout window coming.

Broberg figures to play a much larger role this coming season. In this scenario, the Oilers have to find a way to rid themselves of Mcleod, Ceci and Kane. Deleting three players just to keep one. 

The one year deal is interesting because it coincides with Draisaitl and Bouchard being up. Adds one more contract to worry about that summer. Especially if Broberg is as good as Oiler media would lead you to believe.

8 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I'd be all over Broberg ..

He projects as a 2-3 defenseman.. easily plays in our top 4 right now until others advance ..

Oilers already have to clear 2.5 .. $4.5 that's 7 mill they have to clear out and still try and sign Holloway ..it's practically a guarantee they can't match ..

Plus ..he's likely to sign it ..he was disgruntled and asking for a trade as recently as Xmas .. Holland refused to let his agent seek a trade .

2 years .. nothing to lose . Is it predatory?  Absolutely.. but it also benefits us with a player we can use ..

It will be at least a couple years before we best them on the scoreboard . Their fans like to point out " they broke us ".. it would be good business...and extremely funny as an added bonus 

If they match they almost guaranteed have to get rid of Kane ... Either way we win 

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Broberg signing an offersheet would legitimately handcuff the Oilers. Especially on a 1yr deal.

An offersheet at 4.5, would put them 6.8m over the cap. They don't have any arbitration eligible players so there's no second buyout window coming.

Broberg figures to play a much larger role this coming season. In this scenario, the Oilers have to find a way to rid themselves of Mcleod, Ceci and Kane. Deleting three players just to keep one. 

The one year deal is interesting because it coincides with Draisaitl and Bouchard being up. Adds one more contract to worry about that summer. Especially if Broberg is as good as Oiler media would lead you to believe.

Kane is gone the same way VGK gets rid of loyal players.  It's a question of when and the cost.  An OS would need to be such that they haven't already given away that pick.  

Anyway, I don't see the value of a turf war over a semi-useless player.  Is he any good?  You can't tell.  Is he good for the Oilers, well the bar is kinda low.  I think the better scenario that takes retribution off the table is to offer them something with the idea that you may OS the player.  It's blackmail, but gives them options.  You trade them something at less value and they save face.  I guess that defeats the purpose of an OS, which is nothing given up and all it costs is money, and the future cold. 

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Kane is gone the same way VGK gets rid of loyal players.  It's a question of when and the cost.  An OS would need to be such that they haven't already given away that pick.  

Anyway, I don't see the value of a turf war over a semi-useless player.  Is he any good?  You can't tell.  Is he good for the Oilers, well the bar is kinda low.  I think the better scenario that takes retribution off the table is to offer them something with the idea that you may OS the player.  It's blackmail, but gives them options.  You trade them something at less value and they save face.  I guess that defeats the purpose of an OS, which is nothing given up and all it costs is money, and the future cold. 

All rivalry aside , he's rounding Into a good dman. Really stepped up in the playoffs when he got the chance. Good on the rush, good speed and responsible . I'd say he's a more defensively skilled Kyllington. He'd be in our top 4 no problem with the potential for a top pair role. 

For a 2nd he'd be an absolute steal.  

Holloway is good , but we have players already in the system equal to him or better.