Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Interesting to see the retained salary but that definitely wouldn't take them out of the running for Hanifin. 

Just means that someone off the Florida roster would have to be coming back for cap purposes. 

Lundell? lol

What are we waiting for, rip the bandage off already, getting tiring reading, listening to all the media hype of Calgary doing this, doing that.... lets get er done, im sure Connie is working the phones but wow this is like a circus for the media already.

41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I know every fanbase over and undervalues their own players , but the unbias view of it is hes still a relatively young , in his prime Dman.. 1st/ 2nd pair at worst .. can play all situations ... Really his only knock for value is hes a LS..  if he were RS it would thru the roof 

compared to Lindy, Id expect a higher prospect .. a 1st and 2nd or 3rd ( no conditions) and a roster player with less question marks ( maybe younger , more known ) ..

No I think that's overrating Hanifin.  Yes he is having a career year but is not a stud #1 D.  He's shown he's a 2/3 on a good team.

Lindholm has shown to be Selke material.  RHS C, etc.  There was more value Lindholm than Hanifin.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting to see the retained salary but that definitely wouldn't take them out of the running for Hanifin. 

Just means that someone off the Florida roster would have to be coming back for cap purposes. 

Would a retained salary at 50% going be enough?  I suspect they would get retained salary on Tarasenko.  Deadline cap space suggests they have over 5M before the trades.

So, Lundell + Mikkola for Hanifin at 50% would amount to no cap impact, so would not be impacted by Tarasenko.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Lundell? lol

I think we can dream on about Lundell and Mercer.  They are established and foundational to their teams depth moving forward.  It's one step forward and one step back if they trade those players.

Just now, cross16 said:

Boy. Florida literally has about a 2 year window to win the cup here before things are going to get UGLY.......

That is a pretty solid pick up for them though, add some depth scoring at 50% for a 3rd.

Boy. Florida literally has about a 2 year window to win the cup here before things are going to get UGLY.......

This might be their last run for awhile if they cannot keep Reinhart.  He's going to ask for Nylander-money.  $11-mil x 8.

Might as well go all in now while the team is on fire.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Would a retained salary at 50% going be enough?  I suspect they would get retained salary on Tarasenko.  Deadline cap space suggests they have over 5M before the trades.

So, Lundell + Mikkola for Hanifin at 50% would amount to no cap impact, so would not be impacted by Tarasenko.

I don't think here is any value in mentioning Lundell's name. He isn't coming back

But as I read it, Panthers should have about 3.2 in available space after this. So retention on Hanifin would get them there for sure. 

Edit: apparently I can do Math!

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

That is a pretty solid pick up for them though, add some depth scoring at 50% for a 3rd.

It is for sure. Not criticizing the approach just saying if you look at their roster it's a tight window. 

But they are one of the best teams in the East for me so I get it.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Just take 2026 1st + Spencer Knight + 3rd rounder for Hanifin.  I'd rather take a chance on Knight than Howard from TB.

Can Florida even offer their 2026 1st?  There are still conditions tied to it from the Tkachuk/Monahan deals.

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Can Florida even offer their 2026 1st?  There are still conditions tied to it from the Tkachuk/Monahan deals.

Trues.  If I'm not mistaken, they can't trade that pick until the Monahan trade is finally completed.

I don't think here is any value in mentioning Lundell's name. He isn't coming back

But as I read it, Panthers should have about 3.2 in available space after this. So retention on Hanifin would get them there for sure. 

Desired return vs actual offer.

Considering the remaining assets that FLA has, I don't know there is much else.

Unless they have top prospects as part of the return.

I'm not seeing anything remarkable in their signed prospects.

5'9" LW in the WHL?  We didn't like Stankoven, so why would we ever want a smaller player.

And another LW.

Francis suggesting that Hanifin has the right to go to wherever he wants.  Why should he have to play somewhere he won't sign?  It's his one chance.  Shut it EF.  He has a 8 team list, not a full NMC or NTC.  

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Is there a rule how far into the future we can acquire picks?  Like we can trade for 2030 1st round pick?

I believe its just the next 3 drafts.  But after the arms races over the past 3 deadlines mainly in the east a lot of the big players (Boston, Florida, Tampa, Toronto) at those events are still at the top but are pretty depleted but still relevant, the main exception being Carolina but they have no need for Hanifin.  The west has been run a little better at the deadlines the last few years, Dallas, Vegas, Colorado, Edmonton all still have their firsts for the next 3 drafts at the moment.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Francis suggesting that Hanifin has the right to go to wherever he wants.  Why should he have to play somewhere he won't sign?  It's his one chance.  Shut it EF.  He has a 8 team list, not a full NMC or NTC.  

Hanifin is literally playing for a team where he won't sign and has been doing it all year.  His chance to sign with a team he wants is July 1st.  Not TDL.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hanifin is literally playing for a team where he won't sign and has been doing it all year.  His chance to sign with a team he wants is July 1st.  Not TDL.

This isn't unchartered water, I don't think there is much difference between this and Mark Stone a few years back and Stone had zero trade protection and wasn't even that great of a deal for the Sens.  Its just getting the attention due to the market and the clicks generated.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That is so true.  Why should he have any say now, past the 8 team list?

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No I think that's overrating Hanifin.  Yes he is having a career year but is not a stud #1 D.  He's shown he's a 2/3 on a good team.

Lindholm has shown to be Selke material.  RHS C, etc.  There was more value Lindholm than Hanifin.

again we all have our local biases Good or bad .. Outside of Calgary , the opinion of him quite high.. Most common description has been "star/ elite Top 4 Dman".....  may not be everybody's opinion but that's the common I've seen and heard 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I know he wasn't driving the play, but he should have been excellent playing with really good players.  It's weird that he's been playing better with Sharky at C.  Line still a bit of a mish mash on RW.  Need a hard driving RW.  I would almost suggest Pospisil, if he wasn't suspended.  Kuzmenko is a good sniper, but that line already has issues away from the puck.

I think VAN made the mistake thinking he would be great at C.  I would have tried him with Pettersen at C.  Play him RW.  But it doesn't matter.  They likely won't want to re-sign him.  Too much for a guy not fitting in.

Wondering whether that is his personality. When there are better players maybe he's the type to let them do it,  but with a depleted team of the talent, he now has to do it. Right or wrong, I think he should be that guy regardless.

If Lindholm is traded, what happens to the conditional 3rd?

Those conditions exist only while playing in VAN.

VAN makes the 3rd round.

Lindholm plays 50% of the games in the playoffs.

I don't think they could substitute them on a new team if he is traded.