Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

49 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Trading him now or trading him at the draft, doesn’t change much, except at the draft you will most likely have more suitors. 

As of right now NJ is the only team that is said to have interest, kind of hard to drive up the price when you only have one team competing for Markstrom. 

So Conroy has to decide if NJ’s offer is the best offer he is going to get or wait till the draft and see if he gets better offers then, or if just holding onto Markstrom is what is best for the Flames.

The other side is that Markstrom has a full NMC, so he gets to decide when, where or if he gets traded.

yup. I’m fine with waiting until the offseason. But if he’s on their roster next year I think it’s a mistake. 

i would have preferred to see him dealt but it’s not the end of the world right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

yup. I’m fine with waiting until the offseason. But if he’s on their roster next year I think it’s a mistake. 

i would have preferred to see him dealt but it’s not the end of the world right now. 

I get the feeling that’s where Conroy is at, keep him for the rest of this season and then make a move later like the draft or through the summer..which is not totally bad unless his play declines as the D core weakens…

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Trading him now or trading him at the draft, doesn’t change much, except at the draft you will most likely have more suitors. 

As of right now NJ is the only team that is said to have interest, kind of hard to drive up the price when you only have one team competing for Markstrom. 

So Conroy has to decide if NJ’s offer is the best offer he is going to get or wait till the draft and see if he gets better offers then, or if just holding onto Markstrom is what is best for the Flames.

The other side is that Markstrom has a full NMC, so he gets to decide when, where or if he gets traded.

NJ has likely offered the  Flames a deal they would accept for Markstrom ....... but Markstrom likey said NO. Why would he uproot his family for another team 5000km away that has the same chances at making the playoffs as the Flames? May as well stay put. With NJ eating $$ on the Tanev trade indicates there is a good relationship between Conroy and Fitzgerald.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

I get the feeling that’s where Conroy is at, keep him for the rest of this season and then make a move later like the draft or through the summer..which is not totally bad unless his play declines as the D core weakens…

Marky's ##'s are sure to decline after subtracting Han and Tan. 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I am ok with selling rentals, but I think the selling of many rentals and needing a retool is different from just trading some rentals when contracts are up. The team should be well stocked to be ok with selling players that aren't willing to sign. I don't think or like the idea of losing a player for nothing, and having good asset management. It is best to make sure the future is there.

well said.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

NJ has likely offered the  Flames a deal they would accept for Markstrom ....... but Markstrom likey said NO. Why would he uproot his family for another team 5000km away that has the same chances at making the playoffs as the Flames? May as well stay put. With NJ eating $$ on the Tanev trade indicates there is a good relationship between Conroy and Fitzgerald.

Marky's ##'s are sure to decline after subtracting Han and Tan. 

Not sure why you are all of a suddent saying that he said no.  There wasn't am actualy trade, so he didn't have to waive his NMC.  Speculation says that he was asked if he would to go to NJ and that he was okay with it.  They never got to the formal part of a trade with paperwork that needs to be filed.  

NJ is 5 back of Philly for 3rd and 6 back of Tampa for WC2.

NJ has 1 and 2 games in hand repectively.

CGY is 5 back of LA and 9 back of 3rd in the Pacific.

EDM has 2 games in hand and LA 1.

I don't give us or NJ any advantage to making the playoffs.

Both teams are on the bubble.

NJ getting a very good goalie is more likely to benefit them than us without Tanev annd Hanifin.

Next year, we are in a re-tooling year and NJ is getting Dougie back.

Having Markstrom just makes too much sense for them.

So it makes sense either now or in the summer to trade for Marky.

Maybe cheaper now due to less teams to make that trade.

If I was NJ, I would do it now.

Better chances at making the playoffs vs relying on rookies to save the day.

Niko Huuhtanen - Stats, Contract, Salary & More (eliteprospects.com)

An interesting name if TB is interested in Hanifin. Huuhtanen is 20yrs old, leading his Liiga team in scoring. He played a year in Everett in 21/22. Had 77pts and 85pims. Big body with some scoring touch.

Between Huuhtanen, Jack Thompson, Dylan Duke, Isaac Howard, Ethan Gauthier, Gage Goncalves, there are some interesting pieces in the TB farm system.

Twitter is so hilarious right now ..

So we trade Tanev , essentially for 2 second rounders ..

Toronto settles for a lybushkin trade for a 2025 3rd.. I can only guess their offer for Tanev was similar ..

Rumors we had a first and a bad contract on the table .. people are speculating it was either EDM and Ceci..or Colorado and Johansson..

Twitter right now full of EDM and Tor fans saying " it's obvious Conroy just won't deal with Toronto or EDM "...🤣🤣

How about " your offers were garbage and we took the better offer " ? Lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I don't think his play is going to decline. His numbers might, but Markstrom is the type of goalie who seems to be better with more chances/shots against. Flames are giving up more chances this year, and more high danger ones, specifically middle of the ice, and Markstrom is great at that. 

I think the risk in not dealing him now is does the price go down. In the summer you only getting 2 playoff runs out of him but now your getting 3. Conroy would know that better than I, but that's the risk I see. 

It sounds like Lebrun wasn't as sure that Flames won't deal Markstrom. Didn't say that they will, but wasn't definitive either way. 

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think his play is going to decline. His numbers might, but Markstrom is the type of goalie who seems to be better with more chances/shots against. Flames are giving up more chances this year, and more high danger ones, specifically middle of the ice, and Markstrom is great at that. 

I think the risk in not dealing him now is does the price go down. In the summer you only getting 2 playoff runs out of him but now your getting 3. Conroy would know that better than I, but that's the risk I see. 

It sounds like Lebrun wasn't as sure that Flames won't deal Markstrom. Didn't say that they will, but wasn't definitive either way. 

With where they are at in the race, I think they only move Markstrom if there is a huge over pay…problem is markstrom, and not that anyone could blame him, seems only willing to move if he’s going to a contender.  Contenders are strapped for both cap space and assets…knowing this why would Conroy commit much of any time to negotiating a trade he really doesn’t have to make. Sure it’s something worth hearing out but I think it may be in terms of a summer move more than a pressing TDL…

especially where Conroy’s has priority with his pending UFA’s of which only 1 is now pressing…and Cgy seems more interested in signing him long term over trading and I think that’s why the focus was on clearing Tanev first, now that gives them some extra runway to re-up Hanifin and can push that to TDL if a trade must be made.

i think Conroy’s approach is the most sensible way to go, deal

with what you must and get the best return that makes the most sense to the team moving forward.  Tanev trade is an excellent example, I guess there was a 1st offered up but that required Cgy to take back a player with term…given that I’d suggest the Dal deal as it unfolded makes far better sense as it addressed the D needs for a defensive D and they did technically get what they were looking for in a 2nd round pick…I like this approach as Cgy has been horribly handcuffed by bad long term contracts in the past so it would appear Conroy is paying attention to past mistakes which is promising moving forward 

I can see NJ backing off the ledge until this weekend is over.  They made their pitch where they stood at the time.  Two big games standings wise this weekend.  On the road, where they have been better overall.  They may decide to push the chips in or fold.  If something about the ask wasn't quite right, they could make an alternate offer or just bite the bullet.

NJ always surprises me as to their decision making.  Go for it in some circumstances.  Hold off in others.  I don't think Dougie would be available to them for the playoffs, but that's at the edge of his recovery timeline.  They have some really decent young talent that could do some things in the playoffs.  Shame for them to barely make the playoff and have sub-NHL average goaltending.       

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I really don't mind the outlook on the kid ...   Was listening to a scout saying also he missed a year of development due to covid. So never really got worked Into any offense . so on the right system he may be able to find a bit of offensive upside ..

not saying he's gonna turn into a scorer ..but he has the tools to work into a lot of secondary assists 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Conroy be active in the college free agent market. Feel like that’s an area he has always had a pulse on.

Collin Graf and Jacob Quillan are two names to watch for. Possibly Lukas Sillinger as well.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

He's saying they have backed off from asking CGY to retain salary and approached with the same original offer, just no retention.  If you are Connie, are you inclined to take a solid offer or decline because you aren't giving up on the season?  I don't know.  Sounds like an odd decision considering you are looking to trade Hanifin.  Unless the offer sucked.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's saying they have backed off from asking CGY to retain salary and approached with the same original offer, just no retention.  If you are Connie, are you inclined to take a solid offer or decline because you aren't giving up on the season?  I don't know.  Sounds like an odd decision considering you are looking to trade Hanifin.  Unless the offer sucked.

Personally, I refuse to believe NJD is offering a 1st + Mercer + Holtz for Markstrom.

I remember a few months back, I suggested the Flames trade Markstrom to the Leafs for THREE 1st round picks and got laughed off the boards.  And now, literally that's the NJD offer?  Basically three 1sts for Markstrom?  And we say no??

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you want to believe kind of of the local insiders (sort of speak) the Devils offer without retention is Holtz and a 1st. Might be another piece in there but that's the core of it.  Flames asked for more if retention was going to be involved. 

I think the Flames counter is Mercer. I think they love Mercer and think drawing a hard line right now is their best chance to get him. 

That's my read and take on it

Edit: according to Lebrun the Devils have re engaged and now are no longer requiring salary retention so we'll see where this goes. 

55 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If you want to believe kind of of the local insiders (sort of speak) the Devils offer without retention is Holtz and a 1st. Might be another piece in there but that's the core of it.  Flames asked for more if retention was going to be involved. 

I think the Flames counter is Mercer. I think they love Mercer and think drawing a hard line right now is their best chance to get him. 

That's my read and take on it

Edit: according to Lebrun the Devils have re engaged and now are no longer requiring salary retention so we'll see where this goes. 

Flames like Mercer.  Wanted to draft him but NJ took him one pick before us.  So we traded down twice before picking Zary.

If Markstrom can get Mercer, then it's a huge win for the Flames.

Interesting comments from Markstrom today. 

matches some speculation I heard that the Flames are not happy with how this has gone down. 

Could it be Conroy asked him to waive and he did... Only for ownership to nix the deal over salary retention and now Markstrom felt played?

Interesting comments from Markstrom today. 

matches some speculation I heard that the Flames are not happy with how this has gone down. 

Like I said somewhere else on  forums....

It never should have been reported out to anyone that he was asked to waive his no move clause for a Devils deal.......

Until the Deal was complete. 

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could it be Conroy asked him to waive and he did... Only for ownership to nix the deal over salary retention and now Markstrom felt played?

I cannot say no but I have no reason to believe that is the case. 

I don't think Markstrom was actually ever formally asked to waive his NTC.  

I agree with this.. typically that is the last step. Perhaps an informal " hey we're chatting with NJ right now is that something you'd consider"  but the sign off is usually part of the done deal ., 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think it's in bad taste to report a guy was asked if he technically wasn't asked.

He may have suggested that he might waive for a certain team or teams.

But that's as unlikely as being formally asked without a deal in place.

What if Connie had said in passing that they might ask him to waive but weren't there yet.

Would you really call that being asked to waive?

It is pretty standard that if a player has a NMC/NTC that before the team engages in trade discussions they run it by the agent and keep them in the loop. It would not be the norm to get to a deal with the player having no idea you are even negotiating. That doesn't mean the clause was asked to be waived, but it is a discussion to make sure you are not doing something the player will say no to. I think that's why you get the differing reports. The more credible sources have not said he waived, but some others have probably because they are being fed "well Conroy spoke with the agent so he must have waived" type of info. 

There is a formal sign off of a NMC/NTC that has to happen before a deal can go through because the acquiring team is not necessarily required to keep it. So players/agents aren't going to give a full yay/nay unless they know all of the parameters. Becomes a formality because they've been kept in the loop. 

I don't have sources but from what i've read I don't think he was ever asked to waive. No where the Flames may have gone wrong here is leading him on to believe a deal was further along.  The circumstances of Wolf's start were strange and were pretty indicative of a deal being close. It's pretty clear Markstrom thought it was, based on how he acted in warmups, and he must have been told something to believe that. Whose fault i'm not sure matters nor do I really think is a big deal.