Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Which is just not smart as that guarantees your sending a low teens pick to Florida. 

The 2025 pick is only top 10 protected. The Flames should only keep Markstrom if they think they can be a playoff team next year, if they don't think they can be a playoff team then IMO they need to trade him. 

not worth the risk of giving up a 11-15 pick to Florida

I'm pretty sure you mean Montreal not Florida.  That makes sense to not risk the loss of a pick outside the top 10.

The simple answer for me is we are not likely a playoff team this or next year.  Hording a good goalie that only has a shelf life of 2 years at a high level is dumb.  Just trade him.  At the lastest this summer.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Which is just not smart as that guarantees your sending a low teens pick to Florida. 

The 2025 pick is only top 10 protected. The Flames should only keep Markstrom if they think they can be a playoff team next year, if they don't think they can be a playoff team then IMO they need to trade him. 

not worth the risk of giving up a 11-15 pick to Florida

For me, it's not smart but for different reason.  I don't think Markstrom is even going to be good next year when you take Hanifin and Tanev away from him.  Not selling high right now when the opportunity is there is a missed opportunity.

When he's brutal next season, trade rumours will swirl again but we're talking 3rd round pick or even buyout rumours.  How sad just thinking about that.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

For me, it's not smart but for different reason.  I don't think Markstrom is even going to be good next year when you take Hanifin and Tanev away from him.  Not selling high right now when the opportunity is there is a missed opportunity.

When he's brutal next season, trade rumours will swirl again but we're talking 3rd round pick or even buyout rumours.  How sad just thinking about that.

You should not be sad, because if what you predict happens, we would be top 10 for the rest of his career.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed. I would move him now or in the summer too. But at the same time I can acknowledge there is an argument to keeping him. Not one I agree with it but it's there. 

but if you project your team to be in the 10-16 ish range next year that's where IMO it becomes not smart because your just accepting risk you don't need to. 

• Like 1

Saw this trade suggested by Rob Ellis on a rumor blog, so I have no idea how reliable the source is.  He is saying the Devils are interested in Hanifin and that Hanifin is open to signing in NJ.

He mentioned that they could offer:

Kevin Bahl

Chase Stillman

2024 1st

2025 2nd

I'm not sure I love that return.  Bahl may be okay but the win seems to be the picks.

I haven't watched either prospect, so I have no idea.

How often has serevalli been right when it comes to trades? I can’t stand this guy. He talks so matter of fact, as if he’s personally connected to the players he’s talking about. What did he predict for Lindholm? Was he even close to the actual return? He’s Running his mouth about Hanifin only wanting to sign in Tampa… out of 31 teams, that doesn’t sound likely, but he’s effectively spreading negative news about a top player we’re looking to get assets for. Some GM out there padding his pockets to drive the price down?

I also agree with the posts above about Marky without Tanev and Hanifin in front of him. Sell now. Sell high. 

52 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

How often has serevalli been right when it comes to trades? I can’t stand this guy. He talks so matter of fact, as if he’s personally connected to the players he’s talking about. What did he predict for Lindholm? Was he even close to the actual return? He’s Running his mouth about Hanifin only wanting to sign in Tampa… out of 31 teams, that doesn’t sound likely, but he’s effectively spreading negative news about a top player we’re looking to get assets for. Some GM out there padding his pockets to drive the price down?

I also agree with the posts above about Marky without Tanev and Hanifin in front of him. Sell now. Sell high. 

I think it speaks volumes that he now works for a hockey blog site. Daily Faceoff is a good site, don’t get me wrong. But there’s probably a reason he’s not with a major network.

He is very brash and hot takey. He pretty much declared Gibson wouldn’t play for the Ducks this year, things like that.

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

He's really gone down hill in a hurry with me. I use to really like his hits and now I don't even listen. Every since he went on his own he's gotten very "hot takey" to get the clickbait headlines.  Last straw for me was when he tried to tell everyone Dube and Hart's absences weren't related to the WJC. 

He's more of a mouthpiece than an insider. I think he puts stuff out there that certain people want him to. I'm not sure why but he really seems to have an axe to grind with the Flames this year. Every Flames player he's discussed he's cut down their value on. 

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Carolina could be a trade partner for a possible Markstrom and Hannifin trade.

Car:

Markstrom

Hannifin at 50 %

Cgy:

Necas RW

2024  2024 1st

DeAngelo RD

Koivunen RW elc

Honka RD  elc

Anderson  G IR

I don't know anything about the RW dude, but DeAngelo and Honka and Anderson are very unexciting returns.  So, what I'm trying to figure out of this was what is Hanifin worth in this?  Necas?  1st and RW dude?  That makes Markstorm worth either a pile of nothing or a 1st plus nothing and taking a cap dump.

I had heard that CAR was shopping Necas, but I don't know that it was real.  If that is the case would they really take Hanifin back in a trade?  Maybe Markstrom for Necas and some junk makes sense, but why then give up 1st and other stuff for Hanifin.

I would leave Hanifin out, and only consider trading them Markstrom or Tanev, perhaps both but would have to be a more concentrated trade than that, plus no goalie coming back.  Anderson has played 6 games and is on LTIR with a season remaining.  Haven't liked his play in some time.  Honka is in Europe if I am not mistaken.  DeAngelo is a pending UFA.  He was also bought out by NY because of his comments to the goalie there.

This is just opinion.  I have no idea of values when you combine players.  I think it's been said that CGY wants to do single players at a time to get the most, like the value of a car is higer is you sell the parts.

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I find him to talk in a condescending tone, like he's talking down or because answers must seem obvious... but still, I do get it must be hard to regurgitate the same stories for months. But he sounds like a guy who doesn't like his job. Just the sound in his voice. 

I saw this pic of Stankoven and thought it was like the "it was in" goal in 2004, and how the great minds said it was paralax effect that made it look like a goal.

I know Stanky is like 5'9" but that makes him look like a Hobbit.  No way are those guys a foot taller.

BTW, congrats on his first NHL goal and assist in his second NHL game.  On his birthday.

GHUfjENW8AAWaPE?format=jpg&name=small

Car:

Markstrom

Hannifin at 50 %

Cgy:

Necas RW   

-- Future 1 RW 

2024 1st

__  23 to 27 OA

DeAngelo RD

--- 3rd pairing NHL RD

Koivunen RW elc

Honka RD  elc

--- 2 x  B+ prospects both in areas of need and marketable.  If just one has an elevated career it would equal a 10 to 15 OA pick

Anderson  G IR 

-- He is on IR We don't need him right now but might be worth a good pick next year. On a decent contract but needed to be dealt to afford Markstroms contract. 

I think we will be disappointed on our returns for Hani and Marki. Actually I don't think we will be trading Marki and next year FOMO will set in. 

Listening to the Big Show is annoying AF.  Good thing neither of these guys are the GM.

I thought EF was bad to listen to, but these guys (George & Matt) are total fools.

Both think Markstrom is not getting traded.

One guys thinks you play Hanifin and Tanev right up to the point of being traded.

No worries about any possible injuries.

Trading would signal you give up on the playoffs.

The other thinks he should sit after the Kipper game.

Both think they will keep going back to Hanifin to re-sign.

This after many reported they had made their final offer and either knew the answer or were waiting.

They called in Francis as the expert.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Listening to the Big Show is annoying AF.  Good thing neither of these guys are the GM.

I thought EF was bad to listen to, but these guys (George & Matt) are total fools.

One guys thinks you play Hanifin and Tanev right up to the point of being traded.

This after many reported they had made their final offer and either knew the answer or were waiting.

Not a fan of the morning show either but I actually think that all of is true 

I'm not a believer Markstrom is traded anymore, at least not at the deadline. 

I think Hanifin and Tanev will play right up until a deal is done. I think there would be more urgency to move Hanifin but I kind of feel like Tanev will be moved either on or very close to the deadline. i think the Flames want a team to panic. 

I do think the Flames still have an interest in re signing Hanifin if he happens to change his mind (which i don't' think is likely). I don't think they are negotiating but I don't think they pulled their offer either. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not a fan of the morning show either but I actually think that all of is true 

I'm not a believer Markstrom is traded anymore, at least not at the deadline. 

I think Hanifin and Tanev will play right up until a deal is done. I think there would be more urgency to move Hanifin but I kind of feel like Tanev will be moved either on or very close to the deadline. i think the Flames want a team to panic. 

I do think the Flames still have an interest in re signing Hanifin if he happens to change his mind (which i don't' think is likely). I don't think they are negotiating but I don't think they pulled their offer either. 

I wouldn't expect them to pull the offer.

Up to a trade, the possible extension exists.

Whether there is a firm offer for either player, you have to protect the asset.

Not Chychrun level of protecting, but if you have no fall back plan then you do something.

If you have explored signing Tanev and he is far away from a deal, you can't risk losing him UFA.

If Hanifin's answer is he wants to play in the US next year and has said no to the offer, you have to trade him.

There's 4 games until TDL.

Sitting both for all 4 games in off the table, as they are already in for tonight.

The Kipper retirement game is one that should be off the table.

Even though only one player played with him.

The Seattle and Tampa ones are the real decision for sitting them.

I get the closeness to a WC spot is tempting.

But we have to go something like 15-5-4 to reach last year's WC cutoff.

Just to get in.

Just my thoughts.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting that Hanifin isn't on here but it doesn't really matter. if the Flames get the returns posted here we should be thrilled

Spoiler: I don't think they will

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39603974/nhl-trade-deadline-2024-predictions-contracts-players-playoffs

Those seem sky high.  I wouldn't expect more than just a 1st for Tanev.  Maybe a prospect or additional pick to retain 50%.

I would be over the moon if the Markstrom trade resulted in that.

The trade with the Oilers is pretty funny.  Maybe I don't follow the implications of the trade properly, but EDM is trading Brown, who has a bonus owing of $3.2M and SJS retaining Eberle salary, all for the low price of a 3rd.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Interesting that Hanifin isn't on here but it doesn't really matter. if the Flames get the returns posted here we should be thrilled

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39603974/nhl-trade-deadline-2024-predictions-contracts-players-playoffs

If both of those Calgary trades were offered, Flames mgmt would jump all over it.

With Hanifin you hope for similar but hope to get a serviceable D man for now as part of the package.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Are you able to post this article here?  It wont allow to see it unless you are a subscriber

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

These "predictions" aren't really edgy at all.  In fact, it's default position.

"Markstrom is not getting traded".. I mean, there's no deadline/UFA status to prompt a Markstrom trade.  It comes down to asset management and selling high vs trying to make the playoffs.  Default position is Markstrom is a Calgary Flames for 2 more seasons after this one.  90% chance he doesn't get moved before TDL.

Hanifin/Tanev... Ya again, Flames are technically in a playoff race.  There is reason to play them both.  It's nothing crazy to suggest the Flames play them.

According to Seravalli the Preds aren't moving Saros as long as they are in a playoff spot. That takes some leverage away from NJ in converstations regarding Markstrom. That being said I think a Markstrom trade is more of an off-season trade. 

Four games between now and the deadline, I am not sure it makes a whole lot of sense for the Flames to sit any of their assets, maybe on the 7th they can sit Tanev and Hanifin.

It's starting to sound like the Markstrom to NJ deal wasn't quite as close as it seemed. So if NJ wasn't willing to pay the price 2 weeks ago I can't imagine their recent slide is going to make them more likely to pay up but as Friedman says it only takes 1 call and their is still time. 

Wondering if Conroy overplayed his hand here.