GDT - FLAMES @ Bruins - Tuesday 6 February 2024 - 5:00pm MDT

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's a great personality, always says Flames when I see him.

On a different note, Lindholm has 2 PP goals in his first game with the Flames.

Where was this player all year?

So far, the trade has been good to both teams.

The kicker is the 1st rounder, the 4th (or 3rd), and the two D prospects.

usage! I don't think we used him properly. He was our greatest strength for goal scoring on pp and we put him in a place where he can't shoot.

Just now, robrob74 said:

usage! I don't think we used him properly. He was our greatest strength for goal scoring on pp and we put him in a place where he can't shoot.

There were many things wrong with the PP this year.

Sharky on the off wing one of the good things.

The problem with that is you can't have two one timer set ups.

One of the guys on the wing side has to be more setup/retrieval.

But, Lindholm was always a good guy when not tasked with carrying the puck.

He's probably better than Backlund as a defensive C.

But, anyway he wanted to move on.

At least I didn't buy a jersey or t with his name and number on it.

Like Matty, Johnny and Monny.

Maybe in time it will be a thing you can wear to game like Iggy jerseys.

Right now it still feels raw.

I hope the Nucks don't get past the West final.

Just getting there means the Oilers are done.

Getting there means we get a 3rd rounder.

He may sign there, but we need to be better than the Nucks to ever win a cup.

I bet there are Nucks fans that will buy a beer for a Flames fan just because Marchant got decked.

He is so low, he could walk under Tkachuk's crotch.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Where did we have Lindholm on the pp? He tipped two in tonight. Wait until he gets his great shot off from that spot. I don't think we had him hanging around the net on our PP's 

That used to be Monny's office and why Lindy didn't score as much.

I think most times, Lindy played RW on the PP.

But mostly like a D would, closer to the blueline.

Absolutely frustrating to watch him play catch with Ras.

Tonight IIRC, we had Hanifin on the point of that PP.

Maybe we didn't get as many floaters from the point, but passing was a lot different.

Not a big fan of Hanifin on the PP, but it was fun to watch.

No telegraphed passing.

At times, I had zero idea where it was going and how.

Slick backwards passes, through the feet, etc.

They had several great chances before the goal.

Kuz absolutely ripped it.

That's what I remember seeing last year.

No disrespect to Lindholm, but I haven't seen that much this year.

Sharky maybe harder and more accurate.

Not heavy like Tkachuk.

Anyway, I will shut up.  I wanted to pick up Kuz when he signed in the first place.

So, I am happy that he scored in his first game.

He could be here for awhile.

Wow that was a bit of a surprise.

If Marchand had got his stick up no Game Misconduct.

No namer from Flames gets his stick up.  Game Misconduct.   Marchand deserved everything he got.  Good on Posposil for standing up for his goaltender.

Good job Flames.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Wow that was a bit of a surprise.

If Marchand had got his stick up no Game Misconduct.

No namer from Flames gets his stick up.  Game Misconduct.   Marchand deserved everything he got.  Good on Posposil for standing up for his goaltender.

Good job Flames.

I always find it hard to justify a high stick call when it's your glove that makes contact.

But, whatever, it's a penalty when a fave is contacted.

It's about as soft a major/game call you will see, but we are not a contender.

I enjoy watching the team play like a team.

Rooney was better than I remembered, but he did only play 6+ minutes.

Perhaps him playing with Lucic was the reason why he was sent down.

I do hope that one game does not suggest to the GM that we are a playoff team.

Sure, we have too much talent a goaltending to be bottom 10.

But, that's not good enough to continue this version of the Flames.

If you are not improving, you are going backwards.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That used to be Monny's office and why Lindy didn't score as much.

I think most times, Lindy played RW on the PP.

But mostly like a D would, closer to the blueline.

Absolutely frustrating to watch him play catch with Ras.

Tonight IIRC, we had Hanifin on the point of that PP.

Maybe we didn't get as many floaters from the point, but passing was a lot different.

Not a big fan of Hanifin on the PP, but it was fun to watch.

No telegraphed passing.

At times, I had zero idea where it was going and how.

Slick backwards passes, through the feet, etc.

They had several great chances before the goal.

Kuz absolutely ripped it.

That's what I remember seeing last year.

No disrespect to Lindholm, but I haven't seen that much this year.

Sharky maybe harder and more accurate.

Not heavy like Tkachuk.

Anyway, I will shut up.  I wanted to pick up Kuz when he signed in the first place.

So, I am happy that he scored in his first game.

He could be here for awhile.

Loved seeing the team much more creative last night with the addition of Kuzmenko and continuing play of Zary, something sorely missing for a while.  Also nice to see an effective 4th line.  I hope it continues and we get a more balanced attack overall.  I've seen some comments looking to promote Pelletier to 2nd line, and dropping Pospisil down but can't agree.  I'd much rather develop the 4th line into a dangerous attack line, keeping the Kadri line intact and balance out the TOI across all the lines, as I believe that would be more effective overall.  

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I always find it hard to justify a high stick call when it's your glove that makes contact.

But, whatever, it's a penalty when a fave is contacted.

It's about as soft a major/game call you will see, but we are not a contender.

I enjoy watching the team play like a team.

Rooney was better than I remembered, but he did only play 6+ minutes.

Perhaps him playing with Lucic was the reason why he was sent down.

I do hope that one game does not suggest to the GM that we are a playoff team.

Sure, we have too much talent a goaltending to be bottom 10.

But, that's not good enough to continue this version of the Flames.

If you are not improving, you are going backwards.

"This team" is quite bit different than the team we had just prior to the ASBreak.  With the additions of Kuzmenko, Pelletier, Rooney and Pachal, and newfound dynamism from Huberdeau the Flames are faster, more dynamic and tougher than 2 weeks ago.  One game does not a new trend make,  but should the Flames continue the renewed play and sweep this road trip, there would have to be some serious reckoning about steps forward.  That would include re-signing Hanifin, if he wanted to stay, but definitely trading him out if not, as keeping him as an "own rental" when he's for sure going to walk would be a disaster.   Bottom line this is very exciting for the fan base, and we hope it continues.

On another note, as we see more and more moves by Conroy it is becoming clear he is doing a masterful job as GM.  

1 hour ago, cberg said:

"This team" is quite bit different than the team we had just prior to the ASBreak.  With the additions of Kuzmenko, Pelletier, Rooney and Pachal, and newfound dynamism from Huberdeau the Flames are faster, more dynamic and tougher than 2 weeks ago.  One game does not a new trend make,  but should the Flames continue the renewed play and sweep this road trip, there would have to be some serious reckoning about steps forward.  That would include re-signing Hanifin, if he wanted to stay, but definitely trading him out if not, as keeping him as an "own rental" when he's for sure going to walk would be a disaster.   Bottom line this is very exciting for the fan base, and we hope it continues.

On another note, as we see more and more moves by Conroy it is becoming clear he is doing a masterful job as GM.  

This game to me encapsulates what is wrong and ineffective with the "tanking " mentality..

People step up..  we lost our #1 center , but then players like Zary steps up.. players play for fun and jobs .. energy flow to the vets ..you win games you really should have no right winning.. players playing in situations they never did before because they were so far down the depth..  Hubie and kuzmenko were out there on a PK FFS.. and didn't look brutal 

Instead..in a retool.. players like Zary motivate players like Kadri .. Hubie looked like he was having fun for the first time since we got him.. the dman vegas dumped on waivers looked like an every day player ..

I remember watching buffalo trying to tank for McDavid ..I lost count how many goalies they traded every time they started stealing games ..and they still don't have that killer mentality back ..

To be that bad .. you have to demotivate .. have them going into games with no hope ..then you end up with what the oilers did for years ..all this talent but "losing was ok" .. then expecting them to just flip it on.. 

Thing I like about Conroy and Iggy directing team..is they both lead this team thru success and failure ..they know what was missing when we lost... They know what we had that made it work.. I'm really ok with Connie doing what he thinks needs to be done ..and sounds like he has the freedom to do it 

Very positive game, too many mentions to say which is highly unusual.  The Possy high stick was warranted as a major, and if anyone I'm glad is was Marchand on the receiving end.  This team has a great future with the young guns and new faces, I'm sure more will be coming before trade deadline.

Last night was one of the more enjoyable games to watch since puck drop back in October.

Want to see more of this effort.  Great game and good move by Conroy, (give credit where its due)

I do think the Flames were good, but I thought the result was more about what Boston didn't do and less about what the Flames did. They were off from the puck drop, super slow to pucks and were struggling to complete passes which gave the Flames time in transition to get more speed. Outside of being feisty after the whistle, which credit the Flames for standing up to, it was a horrible game from the Bruins. 

So I want to see the Flames do this against a good opponent before I proclaim positive changes are here. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Where did we have Lindholm on the pp? He tipped two in tonight. Wait until he gets his great shot off from that spot. I don't think we had him hanging around the net on our PP's 

I saw the goal highlights but not the full game so I don't know what the utilization was, just where he scored them from, but here it was a combo of net front, bumper and right flank. Flames typically move their pieces around on the PP but I think he mostly was either in and around the net or the right flank. 

I personally don't have an issue with how Flames used him. I suspect he's just more motivated now as I think hew as mentally done with Calgary. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I haven't seen the Vancovuer game but Lindholm's most popular role here was a combo of net front/bumper with a rotation out to right flank. 

I personally don't have an issue with how Flames used him. I suspect he's just more motivated now as I think hew as mentally done with Calgary. 

Actually I believe he scored them both on screens from the Blueline 

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

Very positive game, too many mentions to say which is highly unusual.  The Possy high stick was warranted as a major, and if anyone I'm glad is was Marchand on the receiving end.  This team has a great future with the young guns and new faces, I'm sure more will be coming before trade deadline.

Last night was one of the more enjoyable games to watch since puck drop back in October.

Want to see more of this effort.  Great game and good move by Conroy, (give credit where its due)

Please don't say Young Guns... Some of us still have PTSD...  😂😂😂

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

No I'm saying he's the one that shot then from the point..they went straight in..he wasn't in front of the net 

I watched them on replay during the CGY game, but also just checked them out in game centre.  Lindholm was parked in front and tipped both in.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I watched them on replay during the CGY game, but also just checked them out in game centre.  Lindholm was parked in front and tipped both in.

Ahh ok my bad ..that's what I get for watching highlights on my little phone screen lol