GDT – Leafs @ Flames; 18 January 2024; 7pm MST; SN1W; TSN4; FAN960

If the Flames had of played a 45-60 minute game and not a 35-40 minute game we'd have won that but they didn't and they allowed a desperate team back in to it. Never mind the calls, you get em or you don't.

Have to be better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Man said:

If the Flames had of played a 45-60 minute game and not a 35-40 minute game we'd have won that but they didn't and they allowed a desperate team back in to it. Never mind the calls, you get em or you don't.

Have to be better.

yessa

13 minutes ago, Ryan Man said:

Have to be better.

No truer words could be spoken about letting the team back in.

We can't keep dressing fringe 3rd pairing guys and expect to win more than a few in a row.

The only problem I have in the calls by the refs is the phamtom trip by Coleman setting up the extra man goal.  Calling two guys for one of them ending up on the Leafs bench should have been offsetting, not 4 on 4.  That set up the inevitable 4 on 3 PP.

Letting the Leafs make a late challenge is the nature of how weak the refs are in inforcing the rule.

It may be a gloved pass in the strict sense of the rules, but why did you need to take a time out to call it?

The players were faced off and they call a time out.

After the time out, more delay while they look at the Ipad.

Literally 3 minutes after the goal they make a challenge.

Jordan Oesterle in his last 4 games 5v5 (via NaturalStatTrick) #FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png
- on ice for 40 shot attempts for, 72 against (35.71 CF%)
- on ice for 2 goals for, 3 against
- 1.28 expected goals for, 3.1 against (29.32 xGF%)
- 6 high danger chances for, 17 against (23.81 HDCF%)

I'm not picking on him, but this was the only stat about the 3rd pairing I could find.
Was Solovyov or Kuz ever this bad in their limited games?
Can't believe I am anxiously waiting for Gilbert to return.

54 minutes ago, taz89 said:

Game stollen by refs...game over

Yup…that Hanifin “trip” was total BS…only TO and Mlt get those calls in their favour…

im convinced Betman tells the refs which teams get the favour calls, like TB in 2004…another stolen game and ultimately cup by Betman’s zebras…

it’s hard to be a fan of an honest team sometimes…

im torn, flames were over all the better team this game, but I think losses are best to kick start. Rebuilding…er…retooling process 

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Refs saved us for once.

We needed the L badly for the next 3-5 years.

ya, I'm really worried what direction the team is going in and they've seemed to mention being closer to the playoffs and how they're playing will dictate it. That is worrisome.

I got to watch about half which is more than I usually get to.

Always exciting to see a matchup to find out which team Treliving damaged the most.    So far, the leafs are only a Little worse than before he got here, but it's early days.

really nice to see the consistency in blaming people other than the players for what happened on the ice.   Trademark BT franchises.   

Come on Conroy, let's see that 5 player trade to scoop up all of Toronto's draft picks / prospects.  It's our turn.

Nobody excuses the team.  I'm glad you watched about half a game and are able to be the sage in the room.  Coleman had no issue calling the hand pass if that's what they saw.  He went on to say that he sucked most of the night.  Huska called out the team for selfish play.  You may have seen the first Leafs goal being a direct result to the D thinking they were forwards.  Third pairing D.  How do you go from being behind the Leafs net to being on the wrong side of Matthews in less than 10 seconds.  Where was the neutral zone play?  

If you honestly believe that Coleman tripped a falling player setting up a odd man goal, that is fine.  If you believe that Lindholm slashed the stick out if Nylander's hand, that is fine.  We let in 4 goals to a lesser team with some elite players.  Refs impact games that are close, depending on how they call them.