GDT - Krackers vs Flames; 27 December 2023; 7:30pm MDT; SN (various after Leafs)

travel_dude

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Reimer, why imaginary sky-daddy, why? If you ever feel like watching a goalie that can make the first save but always leave the rebound, I offer you James Reimer. 5.06gaa in his last 5. That's special.

I know our problems don't start in net, but it seems like we get hung up on one game by a goalie and expect every game will be as good.  The D and F sure had a lot to do with the goals scored against us, but come on, make a save.  Two goals in the exact same location, but from different attack angles.  The Anaheim shutout seems like so long ago.  

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I know our problems don't start in net, but it seems like we get hung up on one game by a goalie and expect every game will be as good.  The D and F sure had a lot to do with the goals scored against us, but come on, make a save.  Two goals in the exact same location, but from different attack angles.  The Anaheim shutout seems like so long ago.  

Umm, it was 2-1.lol

Gave up a breakaway with 4 skaters below the hash-marks in the ozone. The other was virtually a 2-on-0 due to Gilbert's defensive acumen of, "when I fail, I'm just going to dive".

Still had 14 minutes to score, but that pesky goalie crest got in the way again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Umm, it was 2-1.lol

Gave up a breakaway with 4 skaters below the hash-marks in the ozone. The other was virtually a 2-on-0 due to Gilbert's defensive acumen of, "when I fail, I'm just going to dive".

Still had 14 minutes to score, but that pesky goalie crest got in the way again.

When we score so few, the goalies need to be just about perfect.

The 5-3 loss to LA and the 2-1 loss to SEA were not that.

The latter being 2 goals on 21 shots.

What is worrisome about both games is the goals came in the first 2 minutes.

Both stoppable and put us in a hole.

One leaked in, the other between glove and pad.

We don't have a good enough D to have average goaltending in games.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If the D isn't good enough, the goaltending will look worse than it is. Sorry, it's just how it goes. D make mistakes and make it harder for goalies. 

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

But we lost to LA because they are a much, much better team that imposed their will on us whenever they wanted to.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

But we lost to LA because they are a much, much better team that imposed their will on us whenever they wanted to.

Yeah, we kinda need to root out all the lazy ineffective players that still love the country club.

Not a rebuild, but we have to get rid of players that just play and don't sacrifice for the team.

Coleman is the type of player we need.

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

la-sp-darryl-sutter-la0019715792-2014081

It wouldn't matter if we had gotten rid of them players under Sutter; his style doesn't win game anymore.

The players I reference seem to be the ones not interested in signing.

I used to see some of that in Backlund but he has put his head down.

Hanifin and Lindholm look some nights to be going through the motion.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It wouldn't matter if we had gotten rid of them players under Sutter; his style doesn't win game anymore.

The players I reference seem to be the ones not interested in signing.

I used to see some of that in Backlund but he has put his head down.

Hanifin and Lindholm look some nights to be going through the motion.

They need players that have an anger gene. The roster is good players, but barely a single one of them leaves all of their emotion on the ice. It's all so mechanical, and yet again it becomes an identity issue. Everyone hates to lose, but when you REALLY hate to lose, it bleeds onto the ice. See one Jarome Iginla. It's what drives the passion with teammates. The Flames just haven't had that player since him. Tkachuk maybe, but he does it in a much larger, sometimes you're just a disrespectful ah way.

The Flames are just kinda vanilla with showing emotion on the ice. It's not a vanilla game. Getzlaf with the Hitmen was one of the most frustrating players I've ever watched. Always looked half-effort. But when he got angry, look out. He took over. "It's my puck, Blockchain this".

For my money, that's what top CDN and Russian players do that the rest can't. Pretty much Swedes in general are the worst at it.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

True, but I think what's more important is that none of the players or their agents get their feelings hurt.

I thought Zadoriv was one of the more "angry" players we had, but at times he seemed like he was having fun.

He seemed like he was on the right side of the intensity issue, then his agent released that tweet.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I thought Zadoriv was one of the more "angry" players we had, but at times he seemed like he was having fun.

He seemed like he was on the right side of the intensity issue, then his agent released that tweet.

I mean, if they just need everyone to be angry I am happy to help in any way I can