2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If Tij is the fast riser, then I wonder who falls?  Demidov perhaps because of the Russian factor.  Or Lindstrom because of injury concerns.  Maybe one of them falls to 9.

Sennecke can also sneak up there too.  He finished his season with some of the highest scoring output. Last 20 games or so was 2-points per game or something.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If Tij is the fast riser, then I wonder who falls?  Demidov perhaps because of the Russian factor.  Or Lindstrom because of injury concerns.  Maybe one of them falls to 9.

Sennecke can also sneak up there too.  He finished his season with some of the highest scoring output. Last 20 games or so was 2-points per game or something.

someone good will be there at 9. This is a year where I would be fine picking 9th. Because after the 2nd pick it’s gonna go so many different ways. This isn’t a year where you know exactly how the top five or six picks are going to play out.

Can we do a mock draft with individuals on here? Can the mods set something up or someone keep track of it with points? I am willing to donate $100.00 to it! Set a deadline and individuals pick from spots  2-11 as we all know Celebrini is going #1. Not sure that it's allowed but I can transfer the funds to a mod and they can disburse to the winners. 1 point for each one right and 2 points for getting the Flames ones correct, someone tie breakers will need to be determined before hand Thoughts, Input?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Can we do a mock draft with individuals on here? Can the mods set something up or someone keep track of it with points? I am willing to donate $100.00 to it! Set a deadline and individuals pick from spots  2-11 as we all know Celebrini is going #1. Not sure that it's allowed but I can transfer the funds to a mod and they can disburse to the winners. 1 point for each one right and 2 points for getting the Flames ones correct, someone tie breakers will need to be determined before hand Thoughts, Input?

Sounds fun.  I can setup a spreadsheet to track it.  Maybe the winner just contacts you directly for prize?

Submit a list 2 thru 11 and pick #28.

1 point for correctly guessing the player and pick number.

2 points for correctly guessing the player the Flames pick at #9 and #28.

2 points for correctly guessing the player the Flames pick if they acquire another top 11 pick.

Deadline to submit will be the morning of June 27 (Thursday).

Any other ideas, suggestions, or prize donations?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds fun.  I can setup a spreadsheet to track it.  Maybe the winner just contacts you directly for prize?

2 points for correctly guessing the player the Flames pick if they acquire another top 11 pick.

Sounds tricky af. lol

It isn't "your" list so much, but which team will draft whom.

There should be some awful scores, mine included.

Should really do the whole first round in my humble opinion. Lay the spreadsheet out by pick AND team.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There are a few options. I’m on a message board for my favourite NFL team. They are hardcore when it comes to the draft.

They have a game where you submit a list of x amount of players. Could be 10, could be 20. Depends what you want. On your list you are guessing players the Flames will draft. More points for players picked later in the draft. Some strategy involved. You can load up with players you think will go early. Or you sprinkle it around. 5 or 6 first rounders, 5 or 6 second/third and so on

Kelowna will likely get the 2026 memorial cup. They were scheduled to have it in 2020. 

This will affect the team that takes Iginla. Because of his age, he has to play junior if he doesn’t make the NHL in the next two seasons. If it’s at all close, he’s going back to junior, if Kelowna gets the memorial cup. It’s a great opportunity for a young player.

Which is to say, if Iginla is picked by the Flames. I think we won’t see him until 26/27 season. That was probably always the best course of action. 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Either way works, I just think it would be fun to see where everyone's heads are at but create some engagement with it as well. Will have to get the details defined, whether its 2-11 or more I will leave that to everyone to decide. I will disperse the prize to the top 3 after the results are tallied. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 3:30 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Looking more and more like Tij won’t be a flame not unless Conoroy can package something together to move up…but i don’t see that unless they move Markstrom 

it would a really good start if they could land both Tij and Linstrom…two top 2 Centre potentials right off the hop! 

Personally, I don't have the appetite to spend assets to move up in this draft.

A year ago, most people were predicting that 2024 would be a weak draft class.

Now, many fans are wanting to throw assets at getting multiple first round picks or moving up in the draft order.

I just don't understand the desire, I'd stick with the 9 picks that we already have this year.

IMHO, 2025 & 2026 will be better draft years and we can add picks for those years by trading Markstrom, Mangiapane, and Kuzmenko before the 2024/2025 TDL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Now, many fans are wanting to throw assets at getting multiple first round picks or moving up in the draft order.

I just don't understand the desire, I'd stick with the 9 picks that we already have this year.

IMHO, 2025 & 2026 will be better draft years and we can add picks for those years by trading Markstrom, Mangiapane, and Kuzmenko before the 2024/2025 TDL.

Because it's draft season. lol

Same thing every year. Fans decide they can win the lottery and add at least 2 more top 8 picks. The real fun is when it's the GM's fault for not making trades that no ther team would possibly consider making with him regardless.

Every draft thread should begin with this guy...

b4633081-1e80-493a-b362-64a8f0bafa1c_tex

10 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Outside of Mack…I’d move up to land Tij 

21 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Kelowna will likely get the 2026 memorial cup. They were scheduled to have it in 2020. 

This will affect the team that takes Iginla. Because of his age, he has to play junior if he doesn’t make the NHL in the next two seasons. If it’s at all close, he’s going back to junior, if Kelowna gets the memorial cup. It’s a great opportunity for a young player.

Which is to say, if Iginla is picked by the Flames. I think we won’t see him until 26/27 season. That was probably always the best course of action. 

If we draft Tij, then I wouldn't want him around the Flames next year anyways.  It's going to be a deflating culture and Kelowna has a positive winning one. 

22 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sounds tricky af. lol

It isn't "your" list so much, but which team will draft whom.

There should be some awful scores, mine included.

Should really do the whole first round in my humble opinion. Lay the spreadsheet out by pick AND team.

Yes, it's not our list.  Have to consider team needs and such.  But doing the entire first round seems too much.  Up to you guys though.

22 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There are a few options. I’m on a message board for my favourite NFL team. They are hardcore when it comes to the draft.

They have a game where you submit a list of x amount of players. Could be 10, could be 20. Depends what you want. On your list you are guessing players the Flames will draft. More points for players picked later in the draft. Some strategy involved. You can load up with players you think will go early. Or you sprinkle it around. 5 or 6 first rounders, 5 or 6 second/third and so on

Interesting.  But I'm not sure if we are hardcore enough to be guessing Flames picks from round 3 and beyond.  Even after round 1, it gets too unpredictable.

15 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Reports are, Markstrom has asked to be traded.  So at the very least, we need to trade him.  Main reason to trade up in this draft is because NJD and OTT just happens to be interested in Markstrom. 

If we trade for their next year's picks, then is a #7 or #10 in this draft going to be better than a #15 to #25 next year?  I would think so?

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ahh right thanks.  Didn't see the 2026.

Tij should go to Wranglers for a year too before the NHL.  No need to rush him.

Don't think he'd go to the AHL until the 26/27 season, so for the 25/26 season he will only be 19 so it will be NHL or WHL.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, The_People1 said:

2. CHI-Levshunov

3. ANA-Lindstrom

4. CBJ-Iginla

5. MTL-Demidov

6. UTA-Parekh

7. OTT-Yakemchuk

8. SEA-Buium

9. CAL-Dickinson

10. NJ-Eiserman

11. BUF-Catton

28. CAL-Emery

This list has a 100% chance of being 99.8% incorrect. Yakemchuk is the surprise riser, Silayev the surprise faller. TIggy will join Gaudreau. That will be the Calgary connection because, well, it never stops raining.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

2. CHI-Levshunov

3. ANA-Lindstrom

4. CBJ-Iginla

5. MTL-Demidov

6. UTA-Parekh

7. OTT-Yakemchuk

8. SEA-Buium

9. CAL-Dickinson

10. NJ-Eiserman

11. BUF-Catton

28. CAL-Emery

This list has a 100% chance of being 99.8% incorrect. Yakemchuk is the surprise riser, Silayev the surprise faller. TIggy will join Gaudreau. That will be the Calgary connection because, well, it never stops raining.

This is why, maybe just maybe trade #9 and #28 to CBJ for #4  Laine…

the only way I think you get CBJ to move is if you take Laine, not sure he waves to come here….i‘d also be ok with mobbing #28 and #9 for #4 

CBJ may be looking for more

picks now and TBH the only player I I want is Tij…after that it’s kinda like we’ll see what we ended up with.

moving Markstrom and other players for picks in this years draft may be harder, but Cgy should be open to 2025 picks and as many and they can get.

as for Tij, if we do land him, I’m not sold

on Jr and the AHL for his first few years. I say yes absolutely if he needs the development time but if he’s ready he’s ready…we lost a bunch of potential players in the past from getting stuck in the minors…some players need the challenge and that’s one worry I have with Wolf, he should have been full time last season as a 50/50 split with Markstrom…hopefully that’s not the case but it’s something that Cgy has done many times is keep young player in the AHL too long.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

2. CHI-Levshunov

3. ANA-Lindstrom

4. CBJ-Iginla

5. MTL-Demidov

6. UTA-Parekh

7. OTT-Yakemchuk

8. SEA-Buium

9. CAL-Dickinson

10. NJ-Eiserman

11. BUF-Catton

28. CAL-Emery

I’m thinking Emery at 28th as well.

Here's my mock. I think I'll get 1/32 corrrect.

1. San Jose- Macklin Celebrini 

2. Chicago- Artyom Levshunov

3. Anaheim- Anton Silayev

4. Columbus- Cayden Lindstrom

5. Montreal- Ivan Demidov

6. Utah- Tij Iginla

7. Ottawa- Zeev Buium

8. Seattle- Sam Dickinson

9. Calgary- Berkly Catton

10. New Jersey- Konsta Helenius

11. Buffalo- Carter Yakemchuk

12. Philadelphia- Beckett Sennecke