2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I can see the Flames shy away from drafting Americans, especially with super star potential and can dictate where they play in the future.  But sticking to West Coast USA might be okay.  Wolf is from California as well and he seems happy to be here.

wolf was also drafted in the 7 th round so he probably likes the flames took a shot on him and he probably feels he needs to prove himself to the world.

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Van pick is officially 28th.

I can't believe Beaudoin's stock has risen so rapidly. Not that long ago I thought he'd be a nice grab with the Dallas pick. I'd take Catton over Sennecke if we're taking a fwd at 9.

Will Catton get the Zach Benson treatment of falling more than he should due to size?

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Van pick is officially 28th.

I can't believe Beaudoin's stock has risen so rapidly. Not that long ago I thought he'd be a nice grab with the Dallas pick. I'd take Catton over Sennecke if we're taking a fwd at 9.

Will Catton get the Zach Benson treatment of falling more than he should due to size?

Can someone explain why it's 28? 

VAN had the 6th best record going into the playoffs.  So isn't that the 27th pick?  Also, do the Oilers jump into the final four picks after making it to the final four?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

VAN had the 6th best record going into the playoffs.  So isn't that the 27th pick?  Also, do the Oilers jump into the final four picks after making it to the final four?

Utah?  I gave up following at some point lol

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Due to being a division winner in the regular season. All other division winners are in the conference finals. To get better than 28th, they'd need the other division winners with better records to have been eliminated.

I wanted the Oilers to win the division due to this.

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not cheering for the local boys? lol

I through up a little in my mouth when the final buzzer went off.  I have a bigger connection with CGY than EDM.  I don't even car that they are the last CDN team standing.  Would hope for the Coyotes over EDM.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Due to being a division winner in the regular season. All other division winners are in the conference finals. To get better than 28th, they'd need the other division winners with better records to have been eliminated.

I wanted the Oilers to win the division due to this.

Ah thanks.  Canucks were the only Div winner to fail to make it to the final four. 

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I through up a little in my mouth when the final buzzer went off.  I have a bigger connection with CGY than EDM.  I don't even car that they are the last CDN team standing.  Would hope for the Coyotes over EDM.

I am in the same boat.  I admit to actually wanting Edmonton to do well at some point in my life, before RNH.

I sometimes ask myself what it would take to get that back.     Would you cheer for Edmonton if they proved us all wrong and made it to the finals?

30 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I am in the same boat.  I admit to actually wanting Edmonton to do well at some point in my life, before RNH.

I sometimes ask myself what it would take to get that back.     Would you cheer for Edmonton if they proved us all wrong and made it to the finals?

Naw, the last time I supported the Oilers was against CAR.  That was probably just a Canada thing then.  Maybe a hangover from the Iggy cup run.  I won't ever cheer again.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Naw, the last time I supported the Oilers was against CAR.  That was probably just a Canada thing then.  Maybe a hangover from the Iggy cup run.  I won't ever cheer again.  

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was younger and stupid, so.....

I would cheer for them if they went 30 years without a top player in the draft, but then mostly that would be because I was old and senile by then.

I would consider it if new ownership.

The people of Edmonton are fine, no 2011 riots to report there.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was younger and stupid, so.....

My Oilers hate started with Gretzky, Messier and the lot. Made me a huge Lemieux fan off of the hop.

Taking a job offer in Calgary was way too easy, I fit right in. lol

The hardest part was Detroit vs Calgary in the playoffs when the Wings were in the west. I cheered for Calgary because the Wings had a ton of success already. In 2004, when Yzerman got injured with the puck in the face, I was vocal that's the edge Calgary needed. Honestly, if he didn't get removed from the series, the Flames wouldn't have beat them out. He was controlling the play, big time. I think the series was tied 2-2 the game it happened. I completely lost my excrement when the Flames beat them out. Thought, for sure, there's the Cup. I need to go back and watch that series. It was epic. Detroit had a great team.

Forward to today. We need stars, we need this, we need that. That was the biggest raggle-taggle group that ever raggled and taggled.

Give me a blue-collar team every day of the week.

I would take Dickinson before Catton or Helenius, mainly because defensemen generally take longer to fully develop.

Also, I really hope that the Flames will be picking in the Top 10 again in the 2025 draft, otherwise Montreal will be able to take Calgary's pick instead of Florida's.

I'd even be willing to put up with the longer term pain so that the Flames could get a Top 10 pick three years in a row.

I'm fairly sure that they could draft a top center in 2025 or 2026.

• Like 1

I think the pick is Buium, Dickinson or Catton. I think that two of those players will be there at 9th. Would set up a fascinating decision.

I think I'll be fine with the pick at 9th though. There are probably 7 or 8 players you could make a case for with that pick.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the pick is Buium, Dickinson or Catton. I think that two of those players will be there at 9th. Would set up a fascinating decision.

I think I'll be fine with the pick at 9th though. There are probably 7 or 8 players you could make a case for with that pick.

I wonder if a little bit depends on how Dallas does lol.

If Dallas wins the cup, then you will have 8 teams ahead of us going by the "Dallas Model"  😅

As they all inexplicably pick centers.

In that event, I think Conroy could be faced with a tough choice:   Pick a leftover center (cause I think he really wants to pick a center), or pick a D.

If he does pick a Defenceman though, I really think he's going to go for one of the defencemen who should be forwards.   I may not fully agree with his reasoning but I would agree with the end result.

That could land us with the dreaded Parekh, or Yakemchuk.   And I think he'd consider Tij too for similar reasons, but likely already gone.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I would take Dickinson before Catton or Helenius, mainly because defensemen generally take longer to fully develop.

Also, I really hope that the Flames will be picking in the Top 10 again in the 2025 draft, otherwise Montreal will be able to take Calgary's pick instead of Florida's.

I'd even be willing to put up with the longer term pain so that the Flames could get a Top 10 pick three years in a row.

I'm fairly sure that they could draft a top center in 2025 or 2026.

This 1000%

I know Conroy has talked about that quick rebuild with centers first, but the reality is we have way better options coming with just a bit more patience 

Goalies and the draft:    And...the KHL.

Man.   I have never seen such a buildup as right now.  I could list 5 goalies in KHL we could be considering with quite low rankings, all things considered.

I hope we take advantage of it.   A lot of talk on here about D versus center, and rightfully so with our top pick.   But after that, I think the goalie situation is under-rated this year, specifically with regards to over-agers, and Russia/baltic.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/794506/pavel-moysevich

How is that guy rated so low?  Answer:  over-age, and KHL.

who cares.

Let's get him.  lol