2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The last 3 games were against the 3 best teams in the NHL though.  

SJS and ANA x2.  Gotta think that's 4-wins.  CHI we likely beat too... So that's 5-wins right there.  We probably best one of the good playoff teams too because that's what we do.

On paper, you would think those will be wins...how many points have they lost the last 2 seasons to games they "
should" win?  If they did win those games they probably make the playoffs last year and this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Do you folks think there is a benefit to trading a pick in this year for a pick in 2025?

For instance, trading a VAN pick to a team with no 2024 1st for a 2025 1st and a 2nd or 3rd in this year?

At worst we trade a late 1st for a late 1st.

We are losing a 2025 pick one way or the other. I think.

Reason why I am asking is whether there is enough talent late in the 1st to spend a 1st one.

Yes, I think there is benefit in that.

it happens in the NFL. New Orleans made a trade with Philly. Traded their first the next year to get a 1st in that years draft. Trade ended up working quite well for Philly, they ended up getting a better pick, just had to wait a year.

NHL GM’s are real conservative though, not sure we will see that happen 

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The last 3 games were against the 3 best teams in the NHL though.  

SJS and ANA x2.  Gotta think that's 4-wins.  CHI we likely beat too... So that's 5-wins right there.  We probably best one of the good playoff teams too because that's what we do.

We have 1 win in the last 5 against Chicago and that win was a 1-0 without Bedard, Chicago never deserves to be put in the likely win category with this team.  Also already lost to SJ already so I don't look at a 5-0 there, I would say 3-2 at best, they play Anaheim on the 3rd in 4 and 2nd half of back to backs so that is also not an easy win. 

I think we could see a really disengaged flames team down the stretch. Their best players are veterans, if they mail it in, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Bedard alone, makes the Chicago game more difficult.

Anaheim has young skill, I wouldn’t look past that.

SJ is bad, but as others have said, they smacked the Flames last month.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yes, I think there is benefit in that.

it happens in the NFL. New Orleans made a trade with Philly. Traded their first the next year to get a 1st in that years draft. Trade ended up working quite well for Philly, they ended up getting a better pick, just had to wait a year.

NHL GM’s are real conservative though, not sure we will see that happen 

In a kind of same but different situation, 2010 St. Louis traded their #17 pick from 2009 David Runblad to Ottawa for the 2010 #16 pick and drafted this Tarasenko fellow.  Runblad never panned out only playing 113 NHL games, he did get a Stanley Cup for his struggles though.  

• Like 1

Pronman with the Athletic released his rankings 

2-5 all D.

Silayev, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Levshunov

Eiserman at 13th and Iginla at 16th. Lower on those two than most. Personally, I think Tij goes in the 9-13 range. Son of a hall of famer, 46 goals right now as a draft eligible.

Also has Parekh at 9, which I think is fair.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

In a kind of same but different situation, 2010 St. Louis traded their #17 pick from 2009 David Runblad to Ottawa for the 2010 #16 pick and drafted this Tarasenko fellow.  Runblad never panned out only playing 113 NHL games, he did get a Stanley Cup for his struggles though.  

I tend to view it as a trade the known spot for an unknown spot in the 1st.

It would likely only happen without conditions if it was a legit top 4 team this year.

Like a BOS, CAR (if they make the cup final), or a WPG.

WPG and BOS are as likely to regress a year as battle for the cup.

FOMO by trading it, but if we don't like what's there and would just reach, then maybe best idea.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2-5 all D.

Eiserman at 13th and Iginla at 16th. Lower on those two than most. Personally, I think Tij goes in the 9-13 range. Son of a hall of famer, 46 goals right now as a draft eligible.

Naturally, since the Flames need to draft a high end D, that there will be no more D left at the 8th spot.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Naturally, since the Flames need to draft a high end D, that there will be no more D left at the 8th spot.

Or....there will be and we'll pass over them.   Which is what got us here to begin with lol

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2-5 all D.

One thing that I'd like to point out with Eiserman. Look at last year's rankings. You have an easy 4 1st rders from that u18 team, 5 if you'd put Nelson there, and a plethora in the next 2-3 rounds. Now look for guys on this year's team. Maybe Bednarik or Emery? Maybe? It's a waay weaker team. So teams can focus on Eiserman. Not worrying about multiple guys that can hurt you.

Food for thought. There's no Smith, Moore, Leonard, Perrault to also worry about. Just Eiserman. Their results prove that they're having a down year, talent-wise. If he was a year older, he'd be getting completely different consideration. Like those guys did.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Always hard to predict how a draft will play out, so far most sites or networks draft people are all over the place after Celebrini, hard not to imagine that the teams themselves aren't different in their rankings.  Maybe this year you get a run on Dmen like 2012 where 8 of the first 10 picks were dmen and 7 straight from 4-10, the next forward after that run was Filip Forsberg, and a few of those dmen never panned out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Always hard to predict how a draft will play out, so far most sites or networks draft people are all over the place after Celebrini, hard not to imagine that the teams themselves aren't different in their rankings.  Maybe this year you get a run on Dmen like 2012 where 8 of the first 10 picks were dmen and 7 straight from 4-10, the next forward after that run was Filip Forsberg, and a few of those dmen never panned out.

I can see that happening.  There are 6 pretty good D deserving of a top 10 pick.  They might go 6 in a row and none left when it's the Flames turn to pick... Which I know means a very good forward probably dropped to us.  But I think the Flames need an elite D in the system before an elite forward.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I can see that happening.  There are 6 pretty good D deserving of a top 10 pick.  They might go 6 in a row and none left when it's the Flames turn to pick... Which I know means a very good forward probably dropped to us.  But I think the Flames need an elite D in the system before an elite forward.

I think an elite C is needed more IMO, but I also don't think elite should be thrown out here.  Even using Pronman's rankings that Brewcrew used he only gave Celebrini the Elite status while the 4 D were labeled all-stars, of course if you look at the NHL dmen who you can classify as elite now most weren't labeled that at draft day, but the odds also say a few of these guys likely won't pan out either.

48 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lol yes even worse.  Cole Eiserman is the best LW in the draft.  Just sayin.

lol.

I can't fault them if they take Tij.  Can't.

But if you take Tij, you gotta do Something to acquire an elite D.   Trading Markstrom would have helped with that tremendously.

To me, that's the real price for picking Tij.  Do it, but then Make the elite D prospect happen.  Part the red sea, whatever...just do it.

Any chance we can end the Tij talk already? There's a mountain of great players to choose from. It's just a giant hang-up at this point. He's just another player. Do Tanguay, Reggie, Kipper have hockey kids? Is that what we're doing?

It's every conversation. jfc.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Any chance we can end the Tij talk already? There's a mountain of great players to choose from. It's just a giant hang-up at this point. He's just another player. Do Tanguay, Reggie, Kipper have hockey kids? Is that what we're doing?

Don't worry we still have 4 months of talking about trading Markstrom to go after we just went through 3 months of talking about trading Markstrom.  I get the concern that people are only valuing the name, but the kid has earned his place in the rankings and if Kiprusoff's 18 year old son played hockey and was ranked to be a mid 1st he would also be talked about here, some fans love the storyline and so be it, personally I don't want to draft him for the purposes of having Jarome back in the organization and the pressure to live up to the name, I also believe they don't draft him for those purposes alone (I have heard there is a preference).  But I don't view him as a scrub who's just getting the praise due to name, he deserves his recognition.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Tij sells tickets during our retool.

Also low flight risk considering his dad is assistant GM and former Flames legend.

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Zero chance.  Get used to it and suck it up.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/junior-hockey/kelowna-rockets-star-tij-iginla-outscores-famous-father-in-draft-year-but-will-he-selected-higher

• Like 1

I would almost rather they didn't draft Tij Iginla, talk about putting an unfair amount of pressure on a kid. Drafting a kid to team where his Dad was the greatest player in Franchise history, is widely celebrated and still works for the organization, it's just asking for heartache. 

If the draft falls in such a way that the Flames have no choice but to draft him, sure, but I wouldn't go into the draft looking to draft him at all costs. It has nothing to do with him as player either, because I think he will be very good, I just think the risk of it going bad is infinitely higher in Calgary than anywhere else.

• Like 1

My really basic top 16 with very little knowledge would be:

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Ivan Demidov

3. Artyom Levshunov

4. Zayne Parekh

5. Sam Dickinson

6. Anton Silayev

7. Cayden Lindstrom

8. Cole Eiserman

9. Carter Yakemchuk

10. Berkly Catton

11. Zeev Buium

12. Konsta Helenius

13. Tij Iginla

14. Liam Greentree

15. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard

16. Adam Jiricek

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tij sells tickets during our retool.

Also low flight risk considering his dad is assistant GM and former Flames legend.

Tij does less to Flames tickets than Joe would've for the Hitmen and the Hitmen passed on Joe.  The last year of the Saddledome and first in the new arena are already going to be ticket boosts, everything after that depends on the record.  Jarome's 2001-2002 season only averages 15k a night because the team still sucked.  There is attachment with this market to its past stars, but it needs wins to get people to care with their wallets.