Stars @ Flames; 1 November 2023; 6:30pm MDT; SN1

Finally a game from the Flames I'm not sniveling at. I believe most fans have said, "win or lose, but put in the effort". So I'm happy that they put in the effort and it was a good game.

I like Dallas' construct, they are solid from head to toe with every line and every D pairing. They paid a high price for Lundkvist, a 1st and a 4th, but needed a young RD and went out and got one. Harley turning into a great 18th oa pick. They have a bit of everything in younger and older players.

The Flames almost had them and likely deserved a better fate. Our top Dmen need to clean up the occasional misadventure and decision making. Gilbert-Oesterle ate up 11-12 minutes of low event hockey, so that's good.

The Oesterle vs Stecher Flames to Wings fans is hilarious. It is completely polar opposite. Stecher was a nightmare that couldn't leave fast enough, Oesterle was just a low-risk 6/7. What I'm seeing from Oesterle now is he's getting hung up in the no man's land between taking the puck carrier and protecting against the pass. D coach, address it with him. I saw 2 drives against him where he is way too close to giving up a short-side shot although preventing a pass. He needs to decide faster. Had a few inventive outlet passes but most were just clears. All of the dmen minus Tanev look a little too hesitant in their own end. Still figuring out their zones.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Finally a game from the Flames I'm not sniveling at. I believe most fans have said, "win or lose, but put in the effort". So I'm happy that they put in the effort and it was a good game.

I like Dallas' construct, they are solid from head to toe with every line and every D pairing. They paid a high price for Lundkvist, a 1st and a 4th, but needed a young RD and went out and got one. Harley turning into a great 18th oa pick. They have a bit of everything in younger and older players.

The Flames almost had them and likely deserved a better fate. Our top Dmen need to clean up the occasional misadventure and decision making. Gilbert-Oesterle ate up 11-12 minutes of low event hockey, so that's good.

The Oesterle vs Stecher Flames to Wings fans is hilarious. It is completely polar opposite. Stecher was a nightmare that couldn't leave fast enough, Oesterle was just a low-risk 6/7. What I'm seeing from Oesterle now is he's getting hung up in the no man's land between taking the puck carrier and protecting against the pass. D coach, address it with him. I saw 2 drives against him where he is way too close to giving up a short-side shot although preventing a pass. He needs to decide faster. Had a few inventive outlet passes but most were just clears. All of the dmen minus Tanev look a little too hesitant in their own end. Still figuring out their zones.

It was one of their better games for sure, but they waivered in the 2nd.  Not so much that they let DAL back in, but they sure played passive defending.  The shortie was lazy play.  Not sure what they were thinking would happen if you delay skating back.  Markstrom didn't play the puck soon enough because the D didn't react the way he expected.  He needed to recognize that Ras was letting it come to him.  I would fault Marky on a couple of goals that he needed to stop.  Yes, the D played a big part, but you gotta make those saves.

The positive is that Zary decided that he was going to play like a NHL player and do the things the others should do every game.  His line was probably the best one on the ice.  Saw some solid shift from all lines, but we gotta figure out the lines a bit better.  This was a game that looked like we were going to win, but we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.  Markstrom had a strong game but looked like a 864 goalie overall.  

What is it with goalmouth scrambles where we can't seem to do anything but fall down in the way and not get a simple shot into an empty net space.  Zary's goal is an example of how easy it is to follow the puck.  He anticipated the play and followed it into the crease.  He didn't bump the goalie.  Mangiapane's goal is typical of how he scored 35 one year.  Give the other players a target where you have soft coverage.

4 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I have always said win or lose just give me your best effort..  I saw pretty much that against a top team. Maybe we are starting to gel, maybe the young guys are bringing the energy level up a bit...

Go Flames !!

Totally agree.

A guy just has to look at that Dallas roster, it's pretty concise throughout, lines, pairings, excellent team. I was worried we wouldn't compete. That was a good game to watch.

I feel I'll get a thread creation win some day.lol

On 11/2/2023 at 5:19 PM, conundrumed said:

Totally agree.

A guy just has to look at that Dallas roster, it's pretty concise throughout, lines, pairings, excellent team. I was worried we wouldn't compete. That was a good game to watch.

I feel I'll get a thread creation win some day.lol

We play San Jose Feb 15th !!!

• Like 1

• Kulstad unpinned this topic