23/24 Calgary Wranglers Season Discussion

Calgary Wranglers kick off their AHL season tonight. 

Quite a few changes to this year's group as the AHL coach of the year and their best forward are both in Washington now but they sill have Wolf which should make them competitive. 

Their D looks better and eyes will be on Porier and Kuznetsov to see if those players can start leading the core, Kuznetsov in particular. 

Hopefully players like Zary and Kerins can take a step forward while younger guys like Ciona and Stromgren make a difference

• Like 1

A move that surprised me a little is Parker Bell being assigned to Tri City for his overage season. 

Had a really good year last year but was pretty quiet at the prospect tourney and camp. Wranglers do have both Ciona and Stromgren already needing some ice time so I can see the logic here. 

• Like 1

When the Flames signed the undrafted 6'8" 245 lbs. RHS C/RW Adam Klapka last year, I originally thought that he would at best be some size and grit for the Wranglers.

After watching him in the prospects tournament and the Flames training camp this year, I have changed my mind somewhat with regards to his possibilities.

This 23 year old has some skill to go along with his size, though he is not as physical as I had expected. Maybe he just needs to learn to fight; if he does, he will be scary.

I feel that training camp gave him a taste of the big league and he now wants more.

As of right now, he is 2nd in scoring on the Wranglers with 4G, 3A = 7P + 8 PIM in 4 games.

I currently see his CEILING as a NHL 3rd line RW or a 4th line C/RW, but that is without finding any of his FO% stats.

What do all of you think about Adam Klapka?

55 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

When the Flames signed the undrafted 6'8" 245 lbs. RHS C/RW Adam Klapka last year, I originally thought that he would at best be some size and grit for the Wranglers.

After watching him in the prospects tournament and the Flames training camp this year, I have changed my mind somewhat with regards to his possibilities.

This 23 year old has some skill to go along with his size, though he is not as physical as I had expected. Maybe he just needs to learn to fight; if he does, he will be scary.

I feel that training camp gave him a taste of the big league and he now wants more.

As of right now, he is 2nd in scoring on the Wranglers with 4G, 3A = 7P + 8 PIM in 4 games.

I currently see his CEILING as a NHL 3rd line RW or a 4th line C/RW, but that is without finding any of his FO% stats.

What do all of you think about Adam Klapka?

I think he has no clue how to fight, so there's that.  He's big and tough and will fight, but I think he should choose his battles.

Not sure what he would be like in the NHL, since I see him similar to Zohorna.  Maybe that's just bias.

If I am not mistaken, he C'd the top line for some time.

But, I will say this.  If he was any good at faceoffs and NHL, we could sure use a huge C.

We lack real size down the middle.

40 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Another tough break for the youth of the org

this team is cursed! We need a cleanse! I'm indigenous so I'm mostly not joking. But it feels like the spirit (whose definition of spirit) is in a bad way. Spirit can mean in good spirit or in bad spirit, but last year it kind of taken a life of its own and I don't think it's related but ya... I hope we can keep the kids healthy and the cupboards stocked. We need to look to the future.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2023 at 2:04 PM, robrob74 said:

this team is cursed! We need a cleanse! I'm indigenous so I'm mostly not joking. But it feels like the spirit (whose definition of spirit) is in a bad way. Spirit can mean in good spirit or in bad spirit, but last year it kind of taken a life of its own and I don't think it's related but ya... I hope we can keep the kids healthy and the cupboards stocked. We need to look to the future.

A daily smudging ceremony honestly can't hurt!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No Wolf, no Zary and no Pospisil = No problems for the Wranglers putting up 8 in and 8-3 win.  3 point nights for a guy we want to see more of in the future in Scoronato, and the guy we saw too much of already Dryden Hunt.  And Rory Kerins benefitting from Zary's call up has now picked up an assist in all 3 games he's played.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sak22 said:

No Wolf, no Zary and no Pospisil = No problems for the Wranglers putting up 8 in and 8-3 win.  3 point nights for a guy we want to see more of in the future in Scoronato, and the guy we saw too much of already Dryden Hunt.  And Rory Kerins benefitting from Zary's call up has now picked up an assist in all 3 games he's played.

There's a great culture with the Wranglers.

Glad that Coronato is producing. I'm of the mind that it's ok if he spends time in the A. I'm in no hurry to call him up in a few weeks, unlike the radio guys in this market. I don't think Zary will ever be going back down. Only so many spots to go around. A year in the A for a first year pro is no big deal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

There's a great culture with the Wranglers.

Glad that Coronato is producing. I'm of the mind that it's ok if he spends time in the A. I'm in no hurry to call him up in a few weeks, unlike the radio guys in this market. I don't think Zary will ever be going back down. Only so many spots to go around. A year in the A for a first year pro is no big deal.

He wasn't what we needed on the Flames right now, since you can't expect him to gel with guys that are not playing well.  I suppose you could have played him with Zary and Kadri, but I think you have to look at the bigger picture.  Developing his 2 way game is as important as him playing in the NHL.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Really encouraing stuff for Kerins. had the profile of an NHLer coming out of Junior IMO

I know it was Campbell, but it's good to see the Wranglers (and Kerins) continue to play well.

We have two of our best prospects on the team now, so good to see others contribute.

Wranglers lead the AHL in points (23) and win% (.833) with a 11-1-1 record.

Dansk with a 5-0-1 record.

Crushing it with a .941 average.

Wolf with a 6-1-0 record and one shutout.

Stats less Wolf-ish than usual, but he had a couple games he wants to forget.

6 goals on 46 shots.

3 goals on 20 shots.

4 goals on 28 shots.

• 4 months later...

Morin also added to the Wranglers.  Don't know if anyone makes it into the lineup, 4 head to head games with the Canucks to end the season, currently in the last playoff spot in the Pacific 5 out of 2nd.  Hard to have the same excitement for this team as last years, having Wolf and Coronato for the playoffs should be a boost. 

Overall a meh season for the Wranglers which considering the loss of Phllips, Zary, Pelletier, Poirier and Wolf for either all or large portions of the season a drop was expected.  After a strong start Kerins has fallen off in 2024, while on the opposite after struggling for the 2023 portion of the season Stromgren has had a more productive 2nd half.  But as far as playoff hockey in Calgary it is the only option so check them out if you can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Morin also added to the Wranglers.  Don't know if anyone makes it into the lineup, 4 head to head games with the Canucks to end the season, currently in the last playoff spot in the Pacific 5 out of 2nd.  Hard to have the same excitement for this team as last years, having Wolf and Coronato for the playoffs should be a boost. 

Overall a meh season for the Wranglers which considering the loss of Phllips, Zary, Pelletier, Poirier and Wolf for either all or large portions of the season a drop was expected.  After a strong start Kerins has fallen off in 2024, while on the opposite after struggling for the 2023 portion of the season Stromgren has had a more productive 2nd half.  But as far as playoff hockey in Calgary it is the only option so check them out if you can.

I guess the plus side is the Wrangler will have Wolf for the playoffs.

And Coronato I think.  

I'm not sure that tilts the ice at all.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I guess the plus side is the Wrangler will have Wolf for the playoffs.

And Coronato I think.  

I'm not sure that tilts the ice at all.

I don't think much separates teams in 2nd to 7th in the Pacific, so I think with Wolf and Coronato winning a round is definitely possible, I don't think a run is out of the question but mainly if they can avoid Coachella Valley, they just dominate them every time it seems even Wolf looks ordinary at best most games against them.

17 hours ago, sak22 said:

After a strong start Kerins has fallen off in 2024, while on the opposite after struggling for the 2023 portion of the season Stromgren has had a more productive 2nd half.

Great post. Kerins is freshly 21, Stromgren will be in a couple of months.

Both are still solid prospects. The Ronni thing reeaally sucked.

I think most picks are considered 3-5 yrs out, so good to see progress.

Zary's a good example. Can call it 3 years, but drafted as an overager if you Satoshi Nakamoto on the NHL eligibility rule, as I do. So I'd count it into his 4th yr of when he should have been eligible.

I'm all for pushing it back a year for ALL 2005's this year and onwards. Next year is 2006's. My opinion, but it's pretty Blockchaining low to exclude kids from their age group. Only in the NHL. "All about inclusion". lol Yeah, you missed one...ageism...

Oh, the ironing.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Zary's a good example. Can call it 3 years, but drafted as an overager if you Satoshi Nakamoto on the NHL eligibility rule, as I do. So I'd count it into his 4th yr of when he should have been eligible.

I'm all for pushing it back a year for ALL 2005's this year and onwards. Next year is 2006's. My opinion, but it's pretty Blockchaining low to exclude kids from their age group. Only in the NHL. "All about inclusion". lol Yeah, you missed one...ageism...

Oh, the ironing.

I still think we are working through the COVID impacts on these kids and forget that they missed basically an entire year of development. Patience is always required but I think even more is required given the circumstances all these kids went through. Can't apply normal development rules to an abnormal environment/experience IMO. 

I only got to the 1 Wrangler game but I walked away happy with Kerins. He is such a well rounded center who takes care of the details, works hard all over the ice, and finds a way to make an impact. I think the Flames need to be a bit more intentional around building out his offensive game, but I woudln't be surprised if he pops next year because the foundation to his game is there. 

Stromgren was a work in progress when they picked him and while there is still a lot to want more of there, there's a lot of skills. I think until he maxes out his frame and his strength you won't know what you have. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Oh, the ironing.

maybe with expansion looming they'll start include old guys again, creating job for aging vets.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

maybe with expansion looming they'll start include old guys again, creating job for aging vets.

lol. That sounds right. Full-on blinders. Tell us all about legal reasons that potentially 2-3 17yr olds can't sign contracts, with no regard that pushing the draft back a year negates that. Then it would be, yeah but so if when, more kids will do what Matthews did...because god knows those out-of-touch old pricks talk out of both sides of their mouths to make sure their business plan sees little or no change.

Just sayin'. lol

• Like 1