Oilers @ Flames Sept. 29; 7pm MST

conundrumed

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Preseason or not that was Fing embarrassing, with that many vets and you lose to an AHL team is not acceptable. The vets should be 10000% embarrassed by this, dreadful 

Okay, well, sleep on it.lol The Wings B team lost 4-3 to a loaded caps team in Washington. Detroit looked like the better team with really only Fabbri, Sprong, Fischer, Compher and Maatta. Cossa was bad yet again. The Sens B team beat the Leafs A team.

A-teams are basically working on game shape, B teams fighting to make an impression.

That it was the Oilers is unfortunate because media gets to make pathetic headlines out of a nothing game.

I only watched the extended highlights.

My only takeaway was seeing plays of the D erring on the side of risk to hold the O-line still. Trying to maintain the pressure at the risk of an odd-man rush has never been my fave move with the Flames and I'm hoping to see that end. We always give up too many odd-man rushes. I'm not sure why it seems to be difficult to see why.

Vladar looking great again. Kadri had a couple of great pass opportunities where he elected to shoot with Dube having an open net to his right.

Timing and familiarity will come around.

But my 2 teams are quite the study in opposites.

The Wings play way too loose, which is either catastrophic for D or they're scoring in bunches.

The Flames play way too tight. They worry about not scoring so much that they'll take shots that aren't there rather than pass it around quickly to get a positionally-solid(which Campbell was) goalie moving around.

I wish my 2 teams could split the difference.lol

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Excuses that's all you here. I would change the moto to NO EXCUSE, IMHO if you have to use an excuse to justify poor performance just tells me you were never ready in the first place.  

LOL don't feed the trolls, alcohol does do crazy things..

Coach is to blame for calling a goal challenge with 2 minutes left being 1-0, that wont happen in regular season.

Kudos to the B team.

11 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Excuses that's all you here. I would change the moto to NO EXCUSE, IMHO if you have to use an excuse to justify poor performance just tells me you were never ready in the first place.  

I'm not exactly sure what a winning or losing record in pre-season means.

It means dick as best I can tell.

A complete Oilers roster barely beat the Nucks in OT.

I doubt they are freaking out there.

On 9/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, tmac70 said:

This does sound a bit like a drunk text lol.

However,  I do agree that I would have preferred the response  "we were bad that game,  we'll.have to do better".   That was all that was needed to be said.

Preseason doesn't mean much.     Still, I would have preferred that synopsis than how it reads in here now.

The way I read it in here now, we are all saying how unfair it was that we lost. 

A bit early in the season foe that lol.   Save that talk for the 2004 cup run.

Most important thing I learned in here is that "dick" is permitted. 

Dickity dick dick dick.

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

This does sound a bit like a drunk text lol.

However,  I do agree that I would have preferred the response  "we were bad that game,  we'll.have to do better".   That was all that was needed to be said.

Preseason doesn't mean much.     Still, I would have preferred that synopsis than how it reads in here now.

The way I read it in here now, we are all saying how unfair it was that we lost. 

A bit early in the season foe that lol.   Save that talk for the 2004 cup run.

Most important thing I learned in here is that "dick" is permitted. 

Dickity dick dick dick.

I could get it added to the swear filter, but by itself it isn't really bad.

I was actually going to say it meant Richard.

DId you get the sense here that we were looking for excuses?  I read one post about refs waiving off 2 goals.  Mostly I saw people saying it meant Richard.

EVen the waiving off post is exactly what happened in an OT loss.  It's not excuses as much as a reason.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I could get it added to the swear filter, but by itself it isn't really bad.

I was actually going to say it meant Richard.

DId you get the sense here that we were looking for excuses?  I read one post about refs waiving off 2 goals.  Mostly I saw people saying it meant Richard.

EVen the waiving off post is exactly what happened in an OT loss.  It's not excuses as much as a reason.

Hey man I don't mean to be a Richard about it.  @conundrumed may have doomed us when he said it was going to be a blowout.

I really don't put much if any weight into it.  But even shots wise,  game was close with alight edge to Calgary.

I think it would be okay to expect a but more.   Maybe not fly off the handle but ...still 

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Hey man I don't mean to be a Richard about it.  @conundrumed may have doomed us when he said it was going to be a blowout.

I really don't put much if any weight into it.  But even shots wise,  game was close with alight edge to Calgary.

I think it would be okay to expect a but more.   Maybe not fly off the handle but ...still 

I mean did you actually watch the game?  

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Parents took away my tv

I was asking that because the Flames dominated the first.  The Oilers got one shift of zone time and didn't even manage a shot.

Really I hate streaming games though.  Couldn't cast it to TV without using cords.  

Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed by the level of play on either side.  You would expect the fringe-ers to play close to their abilities.

The junior level players are just going to be a mess due to being used to junior play.

The NHL-ers tend to play not to get hurt.

To sum it up, if the competition is crap, you see crap being played.  It's just a lot of skating.

1 hour ago, zima said:

We got beat by the AHL team and we had our top plyers what does that tell you?

that happens until somewhere between game 10-20. The first ten games seem to be getting the game legs, then the real season seems to start after. I'd say game 15, but I'm just throwing numbers out there. I don't actually know. But for whatever reason, the first bunch of games the kids are jacked and then the last ten games again, kids are jacked. The wrong team wins in those games because kids care and vets are just going through motions. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I was asking that because the Flames dominated the first.  The Oilers got one shift of zone time and didn't even manage a shot.

Really I hate streaming games though.  Couldn't cast it to TV without using cords.  

Anyway, I wasn't overly impressed by the level of play on either side.  You would expect the fringe-ers to play close to their abilities.

The junior level players are just going to be a mess due to being used to junior play.

The NHL-ers tend to play not to get hurt.

To sum it up, if the competition is crap, you see crap being played.  It's just a lot of skating.

Sounds like a fair assessment to me.