Flames Board Hockey Pool

conundrumed

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Guess I should return and defend my title from all you wannabees!!

Can't be easy having a Brit kick all your assess last season :D

Especially from a bloke having his average, every day, run-o-the-mill 11am Tuesday wank at the keyboard, eh?🫣

But seriously, how did you learn to like hockey?

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Especially from a bloke having his average, every day, run-o-the-mill 11am Tuesday wank at the keyboard, eh?🫣

But seriously, how did you learn to like hockey?

Lol,  11am?  A bit early in the day!!

Spent 2 and a bit years in Alberta March 88 to July 90.   Arrived in Calgary just after the Olympics.  Fell in love with hockey from my first time on skates in the local village rink and spent any spare time I had in the summer of 88, at any rink I could find in Med Hat that had public ice, and taught myself to skate (pretty badly!) in time for the Autumn.   Brits had their own 4 team league at the base.  99% of us were damn awful but it was a lot of fun!   Spent the next 30 years playing hockey badly!  Still got my kit in the garage but dodgy knees means not played for a few years.

It also probably helped the the Med Hat Tigers were pretty decent and I went to see them reguarly that spring and  for the following 2 years.   A colleague was posted in at the same time, just 2 days before me, and he had picked the Oilers as his team to follow.   Calgary was closer and therefore the local team so I went with them.   Never looked back!!    My family came over for a holiday during the Flames 89 run and we took an RV and went through the Rockies.    Still remember watching Conf Finals against Blackhaws on a little 6inch black & white TV in the middle of the Forest.   Made it back to Calgary for game 2 of the finals and got 3 nose bleed seats at $75 a pop.   Shame we lost that night!   Bumped into Lanny at the airport when seeing my family off and he signed his book for me!

17 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Lol,  11am?  A bit early in the day!!

Spent 2 and a bit years in Alberta March 88 to July 90.   Arrived in Calgary just after the Olympics.  Fell in love with hockey from my first time on skates in the local village rink and spent any spare time I had in the summer of 88, at any rink I could find in Med Hat that had public ice, and taught myself to skate (pretty badly!) in time for the Autumn.   Brits had their own 4 team league at the base.  99% of us were damn awful but it was a lot of fun!   Spent the next 30 years playing hockey badly!  Still got my kit in the garage but dodgy knees means not played for a few years.

It also probably helped the the Med Hat Tigers were pretty decent and I went to see them reguarly that spring and  for the following 2 years.   A colleague was posted in at the same time, just 2 days before me, and he had picked the Oilers as his team to follow.   Calgary was closer and therefore the local team so I went with them.   Never looked back!!    My family came over for a holiday during the Flames 89 run and we took an RV and went through the Rockies.    Still remember watching Conf Finals against Blackhaws on a little 6inch black & white TV in the middle of the Forest.   Made it back to Calgary for game 2 of the finals and got 3 nose bleed seats at $75 a pop.   Shame we lost that night!   Bumped into Lanny at the airport when seeing my family off and he signed his book for me!

We switched places. lol

While you were at Suffield, of which I would later inspect at those wonderful below grade oil & gas wells occasionally...I lived in Hither Green, Lewisham. Sigh, SE London. It's so big you name 4 places. lol I'd do 2 trains and a tour boat to Greenwich for 3 hours 6 times before realizing I could walk there in an hour. I miss it so much. Great character builder. So many people from every walk of life. Just fascinating.  And the humour is boundless.

I literally stole the average, everyday wank thing from Derek & Clive (Dudley Moore and Peter Cook). Circa 1972. That stuff would be banned in NA in 2024, more than likely.

Just amazing. I'm glad we did that swap. lol

Too funny. Young wanderlust took me there in August '88 and back to Canada in March '91. Awesome to make your acquaintance.

I hated working on that Suffield base, only to later tell others that they have to. The radio security staff were much. "You'll be off this site for life" isn't the threat they thought it was. That would have been Pan-Canadian that had those wells, I believe? Aka Canadian National Railway (Encana...yay /s). Whoever today, not sure.

edit

My ADD kicked in. I left out the part about loving your story! That run was at the Maple Leaf pub for me! Our tiny TV had BBC1, 2, Channels 3 & 4.

My London-born roommate had a relentless sense of humour. He came home one day to me watching footy. I said, Canada's freaking epic! Really? You have a good team?

Watch this, man, they look fantastic. This John Barnes guy is unreal...

It was Liverpool..in red, with their sponsor name, "Candy" in white in the front. I saw Canada...I didn't live that down in almost forever.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm assuming Peeps will put in the time to get this set up again?

If so, I am in again.

See if I can nail down a top 5 pick in next year's hockey pool.

It's already setup and ready to go.

If anyone else is interested to join, then please let me know.  We still have room.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's already setup and ready to go.

If anyone else is interested to join, then please let me know.  We still have room.

You know I'm in, right?  Wouldn't miss the chance to pick the wrong players again.

It will be tough not ranking Johnny this year.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

@The_People1

I thought we had to the 4th Oct to do our teams.  I booked out this afternoon from work to do my draft order and the teams are already set.

The overseas games are the 4th and 5th, and are regular season games, so he was forced to change the draft date.

On the bright side, you could have ended up with my team or @travel_dude's team(aka McDavid's_Dude).

Looks like they served you up a pretty good roster.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The overseas games are the 4th and 5th, and are regular season games, so he was forced to change the draft date.

On the bright side, you could have ended up with my team or @travel_dude's team(aka McDavid's_Dude).

Not my intent when doing ranking, but you can't put him too far down the list.  I never expected to get him (ugg, I threw up a little in my mouth).  Maybe I can parlay the 1st overall to a Flames 1st overall in the 2025 draft.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Not my intent when doing ranking, but you can't put him too far down the list.  I never expected to get him (ugg, I threw up a little in my mouth).  Maybe I can parlay the 1st overall to a Flames 1st overall in the 2025 draft.

Yeah whatevs. Your man-crush finally came out of the closet. lol

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

@The_People1

I thought we had to the 4th Oct to do our teams.  I booked out this afternoon from work to do my draft order and the teams are already set.

Hey very sorry man.  I posted an update in the league last week.  It was my mistake because I originally said Oct 4 but I didn't realize there was two games in Europe on Oct 4/5.  Those players would've lost 2 games because Yahoo sometimes takes days to autodraft.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

How did I miss that?   I did not get a message or anything from yahoo?

That's annyoing as the Yahoo rankings are fubar.   Also did not get chance to put guys on my no draft list!!

I never finished my list from 59 ranked players....each time I tried, distractions. Apparently my house is now Tigers Central for everyone. I don't even follow baseball, I'm a 1-sport cat, though I still play most.

As I see the draft results, 59 got me through 6 rds, so that's okay.

The next 10 rounds raped me though. Don't mind the G picks and Cooley, but near everything else was yikes. I'm the Utah Blackhawks. +/- will be an atrocity.

So who needs a C? I need LW and D.

The fun begins. @The_People1 snuck in Guenther and Brandt. Solid risks. I'd have done that. Guenther is going to be a top snipe in the NHL in a few years. In a few years. lol

6 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

How did I miss that?   I did not get a message or anything from yahoo?

That's annyoing as the Yahoo rankings are fubar.   Also did not get chance to put guys on my no draft list!!

The Bruins will get Swayman sorted, you'll be a rockstar. Seeing how low Buchnevich went gives me a migraine, though.

Your team looks solid. You just have to manage it now. Pretty solid for you if you go through other rosters.

@flames-fan-in-jets-land ran away with it before you, and proclaimed he didn't do much in draft rankings.

Mind you, I'm a very glass-half-full person.

You're probably Blockchained for the year. lol

I'd trade my team for your team in the right now, no questions asked. lol

I saw peeps' change in the league chatroom. I laughed. It was, "I just realized".

@The_People1, what, that you can read? I posted that in chat at least a week prior. You're going down this year peeps, in a fiery crash....j/k...my team looks totally sketch. lol

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Somehow I ended up with Artyom Levshunov. An 18 year old D that had a year in Michigan State.  Oh my.  I guess my team will be like the Oilers; all offense, no defense or goalies.

Thought that name sounded familiar.  Odd that somehow he ended up on my team, unranked by me.

I'll trade you Matt Roy. That's a fantastic deal for you. Trust me.

25 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Seth Jones is a waste of a pick and Ekholm brings Oiler stink to my team!!   My Defence is a hot mess.

So we will run with it and see what happens

You're missing the fun. That 'heist' from Columbus to Chicago was pulled off by none other than current Oilers GM Stan Bowman. That's....kinda fun!