V1nny83at5

As a Flames fan, I'm fuming that Brad Treliving a star player like Auston Matthews to a few more years.

Remember that he failed to do the same with Matthew Tkachuk and Johnny Gaudreau. Honestly, the Maple Leafs are becoming more insufferable in my eyes so long as Treliving remains GM of that team.

The more that I see former Flames do better in other cities (sure Gaudreau and Columbus finished dead last in the East last year but they got Adam Fantilli in the draft), the more I am starting to put on my tin foil and believing there is a conspiracy within the Flames organization that is preventing them from having any sort of success whether it's at managing, coaching, or playing for the team. 

It's not even training camp and I'm already waving the white flag on this upcoming season. So much salty feelings towards Treliving who basically brought our team to the grave (and Sutter helped burying us in there), and also cucking us for the Maple Leafs. I'm like the meme picture attached below. *Good for you, Maple Leafs fans! Your star player is not leaving you* (this sentence is said sarcastically) Meanwhile I'm praying every night that the Maple Leafs continue to never get anywhere close to the Stanley Cup Finals so long as Treliving is GM of that team; also wallowing in my sadness for the impending 10+ years of Flames misery.

1nhqil.jpg

1 hour ago, V1nny83at5 said:

As a Flames fan, I'm fuming that Brad Treliving a star player like Auston Matthews to a few more years.

Remember that he failed to do the same with Matthew Tkachuk and Johnny Gaudreau. Honestly, the Maple Leafs are becoming more insufferable in my eyes so long as Treliving remains GM of that team.

The more that I see former Flames do better in other cities (sure Gaudreau and Columbus finished dead last in the East last year but they got Adam Fantilli in the draft), the more I am starting to put on my tin foil and believing there is a conspiracy within the Flames organization that is preventing them from having any sort of success whether it's at managing, coaching, or playing for the team. 

It's not even training camp and I'm already waving the white flag on this upcoming season. So much salty feelings towards Treliving who basically brought our team to the grave (and Sutter helped burying us in there), and also cucking us for the Maple Leafs. I'm like the meme picture attached below. *Good for you, Maple Leafs fans! Your star player is not leaving you* (this sentence is said sarcastically) Meanwhile I'm praying every night that the Maple Leafs continue to never get anywhere close to the Stanley Cup Finals so long as Treliving is GM of that team; also wallowing in my sadness for the impending 10+ years of Flames misery.

1nhqil.jpg

relax my man.

Matthews isn't even a point per game player in the playoffs.  He's a big soft marshmellow that isn't quite the same after his wrist injury.   He may be 6'3 but he might as well be Gaudreau when it comes to going for the cup.

Treliving has a way of making grandios signings that backfire on him shortly after.  We seen it lots here, Toronto gets a taste now.

All that remains is to see if Toronto blames their owners a couple years from now or their beloved GM.

2 hours ago, V1nny83at5 said:

1nhqil.jpg

The Matthews signing isn't being cheered in Toronto.  Basically, BT dished out the highest AAV in the history of the NHL and only got a 4 year commitment from Matthews.  It's seen as an L.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Matthews signing isn't being cheered in Toronto.  Basically, BT dished out the highest AAV in the history of the NHL and only got a 4 year commitment from Matthews.  It's seen as an L.

There's a LOT of Leafs fans so every opinion that you can conjure exists. That contract makes me wish that all of our contracts expire after the 30yr old season:/

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There's a LOT of Leafs fans so every opinion that you can conjure exists. That contract makes me wish that all of our contracts expire after the 30yr old season:/

Yup.   This, he got right.     He sure learned the hard way though.

Still nothing for us to be jealous of given the price and the fact that he's non-existent in the playoffs.

11 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I don't know, Man... a conspiracy is unlikely. Bad ownership, though, that seems plausible.

Love.

Don't know if that's the reason people left, also never hear of Leaf fans praising MLSE, nor do I hear many fans praising their owners.  I don't feel like Treliving needs blame for those guys leaving, I also don't believe his presence had too much influence on Matthews staying.  Wanting to hold franchise records and be one of the greatest to ever play for the Leafs will always be more appealing to a player than doing the same for the Flames.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Trues too.  Matthews betting he would still fetch $13.5-mil by the time he's 30.  Big gamble.  He may regret not taking the guaranteed 8-year.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trues too.  Matthews betting he would still fetch $13.5-mil by the time he's 30.  Big gamble.  He may regret not taking the guaranteed 8-year.

Bigger salary cap. I think he's really sharp to play it this way. He'll also be getting promotional dollars along the way. He's maximizing his value big time. Very savvy on his part. "How am I feeling in 5 years? Not sure". That's cagey and I really respect him for it. Suck it all up and don't get too locked in. The odds against him not being great after 30 are slim imho. He's setting a bar for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Bigger salary cap. I think he's really sharp to play it this way. He'll also be getting promotional dollars along the way. He's maximizing his value big time. Very savvy on his part. "How am I feeling in 5 years? Not sure". That's cagey and I really respect him for it. Suck it all up and don't get too locked in. The odds against him not being great after 30 are slim imho. He's setting a bar for sure.

Agreed.

Love.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Smart for Matthews but puts TML in even more of a bind cap-wise for the duration as we have never really seen a team win a cup in the cap era with albatross contracts like that.

Kane and Toews got 10.5 each after 3 cups and Chicago hasn't won a playoff round since.

Doughty and Kopitar got huge deals after 2 cups and havent seen the 3rd round since, if im not mistaken.

Pittsburgh got lucky that Sid is so superstitious with the 8.7 contract thing but even then, it took them 7 years and many cap increases to win again after Sid and Geno signed their big deals

The biggest difference here is TML hasn't won Satoshi Nakamoto and have over 10M committed to 3 players anyway.

If they don't win it all by the time Matthews is 30 he is likely gone. 

Big gamble IMO

On 8/25/2023 at 3:16 PM, conundrumed said:

Yes.  With cap going up and Matthews being Matthews, we could be looking at $15-mil x 8 for his next and final contract.