QMJHL bans fighting

jjgallow

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

True.

I heard some talking heads during the Memorial Cup talking about the CHL, to paraphrase:

"The OHL was always the prime league in the CHL with the WHL following closely, but the QMJHL has caught up to those 2 leagues".

No they haven't. Guys. it's the start of June and you're trying to sell Christmas cards.

We're Canadian, we're not hockey-illiterates, there is a scoreboard that doesn't agree with you in any way, shape or form.

https://chl.ca/article/404-chl-graduates-named-nhl-rosters-2022-23-regular-season/

Maybe we can send you London and Kelowna on a 3 year loan to watch them in the Q finals every year. Hell, we could likely get by with Sudbury and Everett. Get real.

The Q would struggle with the watered-down USHL. The O and the dub, notsomuch.lol

The Q is a waltz. The O and WHL are moshpits. You should be winning every MC, because the OHL and WHL teams are beating the dying f$%# out of each other.

The Q has caught up....go to your room and have a timeout.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

True.

I heard some talking heads during the Memorial Cup talking about the CHL, to paraphrase:

"The OHL was always the prime league in the CHL with the WHL following closely, but the QMJHL has caught up to those 2 leagues".

No they haven't. Guys. it's the start of June and you're trying to sell Christmas cards.

We're Canadian, we're not hockey-illiterates, there is a scoreboard that doesn't agree with you in any way, shape or form.

https://chl.ca/article/404-chl-graduates-named-nhl-rosters-2022-23-regular-season/

Maybe we can send you London and Kelowna on a 3 year loan to watch them in the Q finals every year. Hell, we could likely get by with Sudbury and Everett. Get real.

The Q would struggle with the watered-down USHL. The O and the dub, notsomuch.lol

The Q is a waltz. The O and WHL are moshpits. You should be winning every MC, because the OHL and WHL teams are beating the dying f$%# out of each other.

The Q has caught up....go to your room and have a timeout.

Mixed feelings here, I am not a big fan of brain injuries but I'm also not a big fan of the Q.

They were able to do it because of the physicality they lack, plain and simple.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, jjgallow said:

Mixed feelings here, I am not a big fan of brain injuries but I'm also not a big fan of the Q.

They were able to do it because of the physicality they lack, plain and simple.

I understand it in this context: Don't fight on concrete equivalent surfaces. Save it for behind the arena or the schoolyard where there are no adults present.

In my sporting days, if it doesn't happen during the game, it's about 60-70% likely to happen elsewhere. For me, that encompassed hockey, football and basketball.

But here's a funny story. At a tourney in Cleveland my kid scored early in his shift. Then the kid he lined up with waiting for the ref to come from the scorers bench started trash-talking him. He held his stick down, refs not back yet, and the kid was trying to lift it. We parents all knew it was trouble.

So after the game, I obviously asked my kid what that kid was saying. And I quote:

"He was really nice. He said it was a nice goal and was asking about how hard I hold my stick on the ice and was trying to lift it. He was funny".

I was floored and relayed it to the other parents. They were floored. Our mindsets need to adjust.lol

Kids are way better than we are. Times have progressed. Not one of us thought that that was a friendly exchange. Because the way we grew up, it couldn't have been.

That's the opponent, treat them as enemies.

I even see it on the shinny rinks here. The AA and AAA kids spend all of their talents trying to get the worst kid goals. Kids are literally showing us how to be better. But some adults still yell at them for results, as opposed to, oh I don't know, understanding them vs our own childhoods of expired mindsets.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I understand it in this context: Don't fight on concrete equivalent surfaces. Save it for behind the arena or the schoolyard where there are no adults present.

In my sporting days, if it doesn't happen during the game, it's about 60-70% likely to happen elsewhere. For me, that encompassed hockey, football and basketball.

But here's a funny story. At a tourney in Cleveland my kid scored early in his shift. Then the kid he lined up with waiting for the ref to come from the scorers bench started trash-talking him. He held his stick down, refs not back yet, and the kid was trying to lift it. We parents all knew it was trouble.

So after the game, I obviously asked my kid what that kid was saying. And I quote:

"He was really nice. He said it was a nice goal and was asking about how hard I hold my stick on the ice and was trying to lift it. He was funny".

I was floored and relayed it to the other parents. They were floored. Our mindsets need to adjust.lol

Kids are way better than we are. Times have progressed. Not one of us thought that that was a friendly exchange. Because the way we grew up, it couldn't have been.

That's the opponent, treat them as enemies.

I even see it on the shinny rinks here. The AA and AAA kids spend all of their talents trying to get the worst kid goals. Kids are literally showing us how to be better. But some adults still yell at them for results, as opposed to, oh I don't know, understanding them vs our own childhoods of expired mindsets.

Yup.   Sometimes, I worry that this generation is...too...soft.  and hope they don't ever have to deal with a Ukraine type situation.

But yes, it's a good thing, and I think every year it gets harder to explain the hockey fights to a younger fan.   There's still a market for it, but Dana White has kind of cornered that market in a way it wasn't cornered before.    I don't know if we'll see fighting in hockey forever.  But, the rules would have to be a lot fairer than they are now for that to happen.

In terms of major sports I feel like hockey rules are the crudest, most basic of them all, and fighting has sort of filled that gap.  for now.

Banning fighting is the right move and I think the NHL should move towards this as well.  You cannot be serious about protecting players from brain injuries when one facet of the game allows two players to punch each other in the head as hard as they can.  Just ban fighting.

Players talk about policing games... If someone runs your goalie then you run theirs back.  If someone slashes your team's star player, then you slash their star player back.  It doesn't always have to be a fight to send a message.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Banning fighting is the right move and I think the NHL should move towards this as well.  You cannot be serious about protecting players from brain injuries when one facet of the game allows two players to punch each other in the head as hard as they can.  Just ban fighting.

Players talk about policing games... If someone runs your goalie then you run theirs back.  If someone slashes your team's star player, then you slash their star player back.  It doesn't always have to be a fight to send a message.

It's interesting that you say that, because fighting is supposedly the deterrent for exactly this.

Love.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

It's interesting that you say that, because fighting is supposedly the deterrent for exactly this.

Love.

I would agree with you that CTE is bigger than just fighting.

I would not agree that fighting is the cure to CTE.  lol.    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/04/hockey-cte-todd-ewen-brain-injury/587818/

There's a lot of factors, and most tie back to money.  

Simple things, like guys playing longer than they should.    Things like this, the union actually makes it worse rather than better.

The deterrent to inflicting injury on other players should be something along the lines of an eventual ban from professional sports.   Other sports  make it work.  There is no reason rules and safety can't be enforced in hockey if there is a willingness to do it.   But of course there isn't, not even from the union.    It could unfortunately end up being lawsuit driven, which may not end up with the optimal result.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 5:57 PM, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

There will be more cheap shots once they take fighting out of the game.  The league needs to step up and hand out more suspensions than keep players in check... which is inconsistent to say the least.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There will be more cheap shots once they take fighting out of the game.  The league needs to step up and hand out more suspensions than keep players in check... which is inconsistent to say the least.

The standards need to be set. There can't be a penalty one time and then the exact same play not be one. That's when the players take the refereeing into their own hands. It's about policing, when the refs don't do it, that's when things get bad.