Vibe Check: Still something off with the Flames?

V1nny83at5

This time I'm more serious with this post

I'm aware that it's still the offseason and there's still time before the season begins.

However I cannot shake off the feeling that something is off with the Calgary Flames

Even when Sutter and Treliving are gone there is still a black cloud over the Flames.

This comes in the form of Lindholm, Hanifin, and [maybe] Backlund still being on the team despite their public requests to not sign with the team (ie. be traded out of here).

I'm no psychologist, but I think the locker room morale coming to this season is still on the low side despite the managerial/coaching changes. And with three players still on the team but not wanting to be here, that could potentially the poison the vibe of this team. 

Any chance of this team to improve can be hindered by few people who may not have their hearts in it. 

I don't want to pressure Conroy anymore, but he has to make another move either before the season begins or before trade deadline. Not only are you allowing the bad press/uncertainty to circle this team throughout the course of 2023-24 season, you are repeating the same mistakes as the Gaudreau/Tkachuk saga.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the situation (ie. give me your vibe check on the Flames). Am I reading the situation wrong or is there truly something off with the team? Are you more optimistic or pessimistic for this upcoming season? Let me know in the comments down below.

I don’t disagree with your assessment. Knowing there are players on the team who would rather not be there would definitely impact the dressing room and on-ice product/performance. So, vibe? Dark cloud, pessimistic, how ever you want to call it there’s definitely a negative energy. However, on the flip side, Winning more than you lose tends to have a positive effect on a team, so there’s that possibility for “gelling” or “bonding” to occur as well. 

How do I personally feel about the flames going into this season? For the first time ever in my life, quite apathetic. There was always some spark or draw for me in previous seasons to pique my interest, but it’s sad that I’m pretty “meh” about the upcoming season. In fact, I’d say Conroy and Iggy are the only spark for me this season - but they are in management roles. The on-ice product is not a big draw for me. I’ll still watch - and post here - but the middling aspect of this team and organization has left me quite “middling” at this point about them. Again, all that could change with something to get excited about. 

4 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I don’t disagree with your assessment. Knowing there are players on the team who would rather not be there would definitely impact the dressing room and on-ice product/performance. So, vibe? Dark cloud, pessimistic, how ever you want to call it there’s definitely a negative energy. However, on the flip side, Winning more than you lose tends to have a positive effect on a team, so there’s that possibility for “gelling” or “bonding” to occur as well. 

How do I personally feel about the flames going into this season? For the first time ever in my life, quite apathetic. There was always some spark or draw for me in previous seasons to pique my interest, but it’s sad that I’m pretty “meh” about the upcoming season. In fact, I’d say Conroy and Iggy are the only spark for me this season - but they are in management roles. The on-ice product is not a big draw for me. I’ll still watch - and post here - but the middling aspect of this team and organization has left me quite “middling” at this point about them. Again, all that could change with something to get excited about. 

I think a lot of fans were burned with the Gaudreau and Tkachuk thing happening, and the end result was a boring team with a boring coach.  Nothing to get excitied about and the team seems more messed up than before.  This team needs to take a serious look at itself and change the culture.  But, I do think that there is some reason to believe there could be that kind of change.  

On 8/7/2023 at 7:36 AM, LouCifer said:

I've been the same for the past couple of years.  Hard to get too engaged when the team's management keeps making the same mistakes.... i.e. setting such a low bar, playoffs.  I'm interested to see what Conroy follows through on relative to kid's getting an honest chance, but the lack of trades of the disaffected players seems like a bad omen for the future...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cberg said:

I've been the same for the past couple of years.  Hard to get too engaged when the team's management keeps making the same mistakes.... i.e. setting such a low bar, playoffs.  I'm interested to see what Conroy follows through on relative to kid's getting an honest chance, but the lack of trades of the disaffected players seems like a bad omen for the future...

I'm beginning to think that Hanifin will be the only one on the move. Even at that, if we look strong this season, is Hanifin going to have a change of heart? It seems like everyone is coming off of a really bad hangover and some have really BTCy hangovers.

Maybe I'm just starting to think that because it's August.

We're going to be between a rock and a hard place at TDL again aren't we? Conroy can talk change until he's blue in the face...until we're in a playoff hunt and ownership steps in...I hope he's Yzerman, playoff hunt, drop 2 to Ottawa though not out, "okay, who wants Hronek or Bertuzzi"?

Now Hronek is Sandin-Pellika and Trey Augustine. The Bert pick turned into DeBrincat with Kubalik who was a throwaway regardless.

Our mgmt has been too yielding, wilting at most everything. Hence, sure we're in on everything until it gets hard, then we wilt.

Acquisition rumours should read, "Calgary has heavy interest in _______, but don't think about it, they'll wilt, they always do".

For the record, Hanifin is a fair bit better than Hronek. And that was a non-playoff team paying a 1st and 2nd.lol

Watching Van do stupid Satoshi Nakamoto never gets old. I wonder if they have a Maatta to cover for Hronek, they're gonna need one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm beginning to think that Hanifin will be the only one on the move. Even at that, if we look strong this season, is Hanifin going to have a change of heart? It seems like everyone is coming off of a really bad hangover and some have really BTCy hangovers.

Maybe I'm just starting to think that because it's August.

We're going to be between a rock and a hard place at TDL again aren't we? Conroy can talk change until he's blue in the face...until we're in a playoff hunt and ownership steps in...I hope he's Yzerman, playoff hunt, drop 2 to Ottawa though not out, "okay, who wants Hronek or Bertuzzi"?

Now Hronek is Sandin-Pellika and Trey Augustine. The Bert pick turned into DeBrincat with Kubalik who was a throwaway regardless.

Our mgmt has been too yielding, wilting at most everything. Hence, sure we're in on everything until it gets hard, then we wilt.

Acquisition rumours should read, "Calgary has heavy interest in _______, but don't think about it, they'll wilt, they always do".

For the record, Hanifin is a fair bit better than Hronek. And that was a non-playoff team paying a 1st and 2nd.lol

Watching Van do stupid Satoshi Nakamoto never gets old. I wonder if they have a Maatta to cover for Hronek, they're gonna need one.

I don't think we are Vancouver, but I also think we do make bad decisions, like ones you're mentioning first. 

I get we don't have the luxury of how many 1st overalls, but I just don't think we are much better than a lot of other teams in their philosophy.

I'm not really making a judgement call at this point.  We had a GM with his own belief of what a team needed to be.  Some of his stuff early on was Burke influence.  Or guided by the owners telling him what he needed to do.  When he got freedom, he followed a script.  Maybe the wrong one and the results speak to some of the mistakes or things he failed to do.  Sutter was a big wrench for this team.  He was a big influence on where we were headed and what happened with players we had.  Going after Hubey and Weegar in a trade wasn't the worst idea, nor was signing Kadri.  Those players with Sutter were.  

So we have made some big changes in front office.  New GM, new coach, new A/coaches, adds to pro scouting team.  They all fall under new bosses.  Hanifin is blocking any moves the team would like to do.  Indecision by Lindholm is a bit as well.  Backlund should be moved just because he's being wishy-washy.  He wanted to be the captain and will hold out for that this year if he stays.  Time to move on.  And we need to make it happen sooner than later.  Then we can get an idea of what this new group will be doing.  

If we see more of the same from Connie, then I agree with Conumdrumed.  Prove him wrong.

Maybe the right thread for this.

I was surmising why Detroit took Cossa rather than Wallstedt. Then a thought occurred to me that I better consult google.

So here's the list of Swedish goalies that have won the Stanley Cup as the starter:

Yup. That's the list. Coincidence, circumstance or a trend of mental fortitude? Honest question.

And of course, potentially the biggest upset in Olympic history vs one of the best Gs in the NHL at the time...

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Maybe the right thread for this.

I was surmising why Detroit took Cossa rather than Wallstedt. Then a thought occurred to me that I better consult google.

So here's the list of Swedish goalies that have won the Stanley Cup as the starter:

Yup. That's the list. Coincidence, circumstance or a trend of mental fortitude? Honest question.

And of course, potentially the biggest upset in Olympic history vs one of the best Gs in the NHL at the time...

Changed his career after that. Was never the same.

I wonder if  Markstrom will be that now... 

On 8/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, V1nny83at5 said:

This time I'm more serious with this post

I'm aware that it's still the offseason and there's still time before the season begins.

However I cannot shake off the feeling that something is off with the Calgary Flames

Even when Sutter and Treliving are gone there is still a black cloud over the Flames.

This comes in the form of Lindholm, Hanifin, and [maybe] Backlund still being on the team despite their public requests to not sign with the team (ie. be traded out of here).

I'm no psychologist, but I think the locker room morale coming to this season is still on the low side despite the managerial/coaching changes. And with three players still on the team but not wanting to be here, that could potentially the poison the vibe of this team. 

Any chance of this team to improve can be hindered by few people who may not have their hearts in it. 

I don't want to pressure Conroy anymore, but he has to make another move either before the season begins or before trade deadline. Not only are you allowing the bad press/uncertainty to circle this team throughout the course of 2023-24 season, you are repeating the same mistakes as the Gaudreau/Tkachuk saga.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the situation (ie. give me your vibe check on the Flames). Am I reading the situation wrong or is there truly something off with the team? Are you more optimistic or pessimistic for this upcoming season? Let me know in the comments down below.

Flames will be fine. Simmer down.... there is no reason at all to panic yet.

The only trade that has to happen soon is Hanifin. He wants out and as soon as someone offers us something reasonable then he will be gone.

Those other two may stay but both want to see some improvement...

We can't really see some improvement until the season starts so you may as well drop the black cloud handcuffs until we play some games.

As for your thinking they will float through the season that will not happen. If they want to float and wait for a better team to come along,  then they can sit. Lets be truthful however, real professionals play their best so it is easier to trade them. GM's know when players are floating.... Lindholm and Backs floating??? where would you even get this idea... again won't happen even if they want out.

I think the Flames are at a crossroads... This is an  opportunity to change direction,  change the core and finally promote a captain. One who will not let anyone float.

There were too many who had poor seasons last season. Too many to digress or remain stagnant. I expect Hubs, Weggar, Kadri, Mangs and Marky in particular to have much better years...

Now consider this So far only Toffoli has jumped ship. We just missed the playoffs by 2 points. If only Markstrom plays better how difficult can it be for the Flames to be better?

Don't take Conroys "nice guy aura" as a weakness. As a former player he will have the respect of the players.

I think you are dwelling on the inaction so far. Too soon for that.  Way too soon.

"The phrase "way too soon" is correct and usable in written English. It is often used to express the fact that something bad has happened before it should have."

• Like 2