Wranglers new Head Coach Trent Cull

Flames announced last week. In addition to his hire a confirmation that the entire staff is returning. 

Brad Pascall has done great work so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but this is a pretty underwhelming hire based on record and what I've read about his reputation. 

https://theahl.com/cull-named-new-head-coach-of-wranglers#:~:text=The Calgary Flames have named,the Washington Capitals last month.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames announced last week. In addition to his hire a confirmation that the entire staff is returning. 

Brad Pascall has done great work so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but this is a pretty underwhelming hire based on record and what I've read about his reputation. 

https://theahl.com/cull-named-new-head-coach-of-wranglers#:~:text=The Calgary Flames have named,the Washington Capitals last month.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, too, but I've been pretty much underwhelmed by all of the changes this summer. I suppose that's for another thread, though.

Welcome to Calgary, Trent!

Love.

15 hours ago, cross16 said:

Is it the same win now trumps development that I've been reading? I'm sure that will be addressed. Hopefully he's a good motivator and positive influence.

My biggest question is if I'm early in wanting Solovyov to make the jump? And to a sllghtly lesser extent, Kuznetsov? ELC would help a ton.

Adding Solovyov and Zary to Duehr, Pelletier and Ruzicka being effective would sure help the cap restraints and help consider draft picks as returns on our seemingly immovable objects. Maybe Ronni, Stromgren and Poirier can add another boost next year. Then Honzek and Morin etc etc. Maybe a surprise or 2 along the way.

Or am I forcing progress because I'd love that answer to help us on all fronts and remain competitive without cap constraints? It would be a perfect world for me.lol

I'm not ready to pack it in. Just kinda wish our prospects were maybe a year ahead of right now would be calming for this cat, let alone the fanbase's painful negativity.

It's amazing that I can read the Wings fanbase full of positivity though they haven't made the playoffs in 9 years. Yet it's uplifting vs the Flames of everything has gone to hell in a handbasket and everything is broken. Such a massive turn-off. I wouldn't even bother following if that's how I felt full-time. It just sucks the air out of the room.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is it the same win now trumps development that I've been reading? I'm sure that will be addressed. Hopefully he's a good motivator and positive influence.

My biggest question is if I'm early in wanting Solovyov to make the jump? And to a sllghtly lesser extent, Kuznetsov? ELC would help a ton.

Adding Solovyov and Zary to Duehr, Pelletier and Ruzicka being effective would sure help the cap restraints and help consider draft picks as returns on our seemingly immovable objects. Maybe Ronni, Stromgren and Poirier can add another boost next year. Then Honzek and Morin etc etc. Maybe a surprise or 2 along the way.

Or am I forcing progress because I'd love that answer to help us on all fronts and remain competitive without cap constraints? It would be a perfect world for me.lol

I'm not ready to pack it in. Just kinda wish our prospects were maybe a year ahead of right now would be calming for this cat, let alone the fanbase's painful negativity.

It's amazing that I can read the Wings fanbase full of positivity though they haven't made the playoffs in 9 years. Yet it's uplifting vs the Flames of everything has gone to hell in a handbasket and everything is broken. Such a massive turn-off. I wouldn't even bother following if that's how I felt full-time. It just sucks the air out of the room.

I have not read much on him.   I don't mind coaches that want to win.   Imho it's the GM's job to make sure they are supplied with NHL potential players and not wasting minutes on AHL lifers.   Ie, Chris Phillips was a very borderline benefit, but I don’t blame Mitch Love for that.     Interested to see what Zary etc do with mote minutes and role this year.

Detroit is a great example of a positive engaged fanbase that doesn't rely on win now mentality. 

I think we could be that.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yes. Sounds like in Vancouver he would defer to playing AHL veterans over the prospects in key moments. Very possible that was an organizational call though. 

I think that's where the Flames have had success in their AHL program, development over winning. Winning is important for sure and you want coaches/players who want to win but if there is a key face/key PP whatever, put your kids in the situation so they learn. I'm hoping the Flames continue that mentality and hopefully if that is their philosophy Cull is on board with that. 

He got some good review for his work in the Tampa system and it sounds like he is a positive person. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Sounds great in theory but not practical in reality IMO. Isn't enough contract room nor enough true legit NHL prospects to fill NHL roster and a reserve list. 

It's all spectrums/perspectives/shades.

The Flames have actually been doing better here than they have in past years.  And, Vancouver, really ...not very good.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/ahl/teams-physical-stats/2022-2023

Doesn't come as a shock that Abbotsford played older players, considering they had older players.

My "only NHL prospects" might be a pipe dream but we want to stay on the right side of that list.

so yeah.   I don't care that a coach wants their team to win.  imho, I see it as the GM's job to set the team up for development but not loading it up with veterans.

on the other hand, I've been defending  a Lot lately and I will say if Anything might be bothering me maybe a Little, tiny bit, it's the Vancouver-heavy recruitment from picks to staff.  Triggers the nepotism worries just a little.  On the other hand if Honzek blows up training camp with a top 10 draft pick showing, that erases 100% of those worries for me.

Other than the somewhat concerning Vancouver/BC slant, I am not concerned with a coach that coaches to win.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

so yeah.   I don't care that a coach wants their team to win.  imho, I see it as the GM's job to set the team up for development but not loading it up with veterans.

on the other hand, I've been defending  a Lot lately and I will say if Anything might be bothering me maybe a Little, tiny bit, it's the Vancouver-heavy recruitment from picks to staff.  Triggers the nepotism worries just a little.  On the other hand if Honzek blows up training camp with a top 10 draft pick showing, that erases 100% of those worries for me.

Other than the somewhat concerning Vancouver/BC slant, I am not concerned with a coach that coaches to win.

I'm really interested to see how Honzek vs Danielson ends up comparing. By all accounts Yzerman's list was Danielson followed by Honzek. If Danielson was gone by 9 it would've been Honzek at 9. Detroit is well known to stick to their rankings. If we didn't take Honzek, they'd have had both. Sounds like they wouldn't have taken Michkov if he fell. So obviously I'll be following both very closely.

I'm also really interested in Yzerman's end game. Picks:

9. Nate Danielson

17, Axel Sandin Pellikka

41, Trey Augustine

42. Andrew Gibson(6'3)

47. Brady Cleveland(6'5 and nasty af)

73. Noah Dower-Nilsson

117. Larry Keenan(6'3)

137. Jack Phelan(6'3)

Then 3 non-Dmen.

I've bolded the Dmen. Outside of ASP they all share a similar trait, big and either skilled or mean. Already having the D prospect cupboards jammed full, I can't help but wonder the end game in prioritizing large, mean Dmen. Does he think they will have the largest trade value if they pan out?

Last year he focused on filling forwards which I understand. But again, 2 Dmen, both big. Anton Johansson (6'4") and Tnias Mathurin (6"3).

The D prospects could be the Lions' O-line.

ASP, Albert Johansson and Eemil Viro are the only 3 likely NHL dmen at 6'.

But Edvinsson(6'6"), Wallinder(6'5"), Buium(6'3"), Antii Tuomisto (6'5") are all likely NHLers.

Where is everyone going in a year or 3?

Seider-Walman are pretty much locked in.

Edvinsson-ASP

Johansson-Wallinder is a 3rd pairing?

What about everyone else? I mean, I think even Jared McIsaac is a good Dman if his injury history to start is in the past. It gives me a headache in a good way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm really interested to see how Honzek vs Danielson ends up comparing. By all accounts Yzerman's list was Danielson followed by Honzek. If Danielson was gone by 9 it would've been Honzek at 9. Detroit is well known to stick to their rankings. If we didn't take Honzek, they'd have had both. Sounds like they wouldn't have taken Michkov if he fell. So obviously I'll be following both very closely.

I'm also really interested in Yzerman's end game. Picks:

9. Nate Danielson

17, Axel Sandin Pellikka

41, Trey Augustine

42. Andrew Gibson(6'3)

47. Brady Cleveland(6'5 and nasty af)

73. Noah Dower-Nilsson

117. Larry Keenan(6'3)

137. Jack Phelan(6'3)

Then 3 non-Dmen.

I've bolded the Dmen. Outside of ASP they all share a similar trait, big and either skilled or mean. Already having the D prospect cupboards jammed full, I can't help but wonder the end game in prioritizing large, mean Dmen. Does he think they will have the largest trade value if they pan out?

Last year he focused on filling forwards which I understand. But again, 2 Dmen, both big. Anton Johansson (6'4") and Tnias Mathurin (6"3).

The D prospects could be the Lions' O-line.

ASP, Albert Johansson and Eemil Viro are the only 3 likely NHL dmen at 6'.

But Edvinsson(6'6"), Wallinder(6'5"), Buium(6'3"), Antii Tuomisto (6'5") are all likely NHLers.

Where is everyone going in a year or 3?

Seider-Walman are pretty much locked in.

Edvinsson-ASP

Johansson-Wallinder is a 3rd pairing?

What about everyone else? I mean, I think even Jared McIsaac is a good Dman if his injury history to start is in the past. It gives me a headache in a good way.

I felt that the D were under-valued this year with the exception of Simashev of course.    So, Pellikka, as an example, was imho an absolute steal at 17.    

Imho could simply be a matter of Yzerman having the job security to go BPA, knowing he'll still be around when they mature.

Just generally I would have loved more picks in this draft, Yzerman set himself up well years in advance, a few trades at a time.    I wanted Conroy to pull off a draft miracle and pick up a bunch of first rounders but was always a pipe dream.   Only way to do it is by getting that time premium, trading for futures when it works.

All that said, nobody is perfect, not even Yzerman, some of his picks were a bit weird and it could be also the mental disadvantage of having a lot of picks and maybe taking them for granted a bit.   I like his rebuilding style, but in terms of the draft I feel they've done really well in rounds 1-2, but have not yet had a ton of success below that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I felt that the D were under-valued this year with the exception of Simashev of course.    So, Pellikka, as an example, was imho an absolute steal at 17.    

Imho could simply be a matter of Yzerman having the job security to go BPA, knowing he'll still be around when they mature.

Just generally I would have loved more picks in this draft, Yzerman set himself up well years in advance, a few trades at a time.    I wanted Conroy to pull off a draft miracle and pick up a bunch of first rounders but was always a pipe dream.   Only way to do it is by getting that time premium, trading for futures when it works.

All that said, nobody is perfect, not even Yzerman, some of his picks were a bit weird and it could be also the mental disadvantage of having a lot of picks and maybe taking them for granted a bit.   I like his rebuilding style, but in terms of the draft I feel they've done really well in rounds 1-2, but have not yet had a ton of success below that.

You get to work with what you have.  We haven't had trades with picks and good prospects coming back to us.  Schwindt and Govich are two of the only ones that came to us in trade that we didn't turn around and ship out.  Young players that perhaps could have generated good return like Mange and Dube are being used to supplement the offence.  Not that it's wrong, just that's where our best trade value is.  Ras would generate a ton, but we probably lose our best or 2nd best D.  Hanifin has to be traded.  Probably isn't going to be picks and prospects, but perhaps it should.    

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You get to work with what you have.  We haven't had trades with picks and good prospects coming back to us.  Schwindt and Govich are two of the only ones that came to us in trade that we didn't turn around and ship out.  Young players that perhaps could have generated good return like Mange and Dube are being used to supplement the offence.  Not that it's wrong, just that's where our best trade value is.  Ras would generate a ton, but we probably lose our best or 2nd best D.  Hanifin has to be traded.  Probably isn't going to be picks and prospects, but perhaps it should.    

we also haven't used aging contracts to get those picks at the TDL, which seems to be where those picks come from most of the time. It's an organizational philosophy's the only time we seem to gain extra picks are when we trade down in the draft too. I mean it isn't never, because there are some times it happens. Sven, Berra, etc. I guess I'm saying trades like Glencross doesn't happen enough to gain extra draft capital. 

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

A little too early to tell in later rounds. I think as you get past rd 2 you're likely looking at 5 year developments. Soderblom is a 2019 6th rder that had a look to start last year and could take a spot this year. Mazur, Lombardi, Viro, Gylander, Anton Johansson, Mathurin look like solid 3rd-7th picks but almost all of the picks are still under Wings rights. Sebrango was a 2020 3rd and may pan out for the Sens. All-in-all, later rounds are rare gems for all teams.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we also haven't used aging contracts to get those picks at the TDL, which seems to be where those picks come from most of the time. It's an organizational philosophy's the only time we seem to gain extra picks are when we trade down in the draft too. I mean it isn't never, because there are some times it happens. Sven, Berra, etc. I guess I'm saying trades like Glencross doesn't happen enough to gain extra draft capital. 

We don't have GlenX's available.  Last year it was Lewis, Ritchie and Lucic as pending UFA's.

This year we have something like 8 remaining and we made one smart deal with the 9th.

The problem is that we sign the types that don't have value to short deals and the ones that do have value get 3-4 years or more.

And the coaches don't set up the players we could move for success.

Bennett on back burner.

Gio with a NTC.

Monahan injured when we could have found value.

Gaudreau signalling he was signing.