2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Huberdeau with Backlund and Coleman at practice today. Backlund is the best center on the roster for Huberdeau IMO. Zary might be that guy soon, but not yet.

I support these lines only because it keeps Pospisil in the top 9.  Govich with Dube and Duehr isn't a bad idea.  Keep Dube in the middle of the ice.  I tend to think you need Ruzicka on the wing, so this may be the best fit.  It does highlight the lack of true RW's we have.  Pospisil and Mange have been more successful on LW, but whatever.  No worse than the lack of consistent play on Saturday.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The one consistency is no consistency. Win they stay, lose they don't. It will likely never settle.

Is it any surprise though?  There was not any consistent lines in camp, especially with Kadri missing most of it.  I can't remember what line Pelletier was playing on, but I suspect it one you wouldn't expect.  

I'm somewhat guessing this has more to do with Huberdeau's lack of chemistry with anyone.  But honestly, everyone else including Govich deserves to play above Hiberdeau right now.  If yo go with that logic, then top line replaces Huberdeau with Ruzicka (as noted in practice line).  2nd line unchanged from last two games.  (best line on the team).  3rd line remains unchanged (2nd best line).  4th line is Huberdeau-Dube-Duehr.  

I know what you are saying, we should be sticking to a lineup for 5 games minimum, win or lose.  The problem with that is we see uninspired games or starts like the Ottawa game.  Or the Oilers game (previous consistent lines).  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The problem with that is we see uninspired games or starts like the Ottawa game.

In fairness, that was a travelling b2b against 2 high-skill teams po'd at their funk. Getting out of Toronto and settled into Ottawa I'm guessing is about a 5 hr affair. Getting from downtown and through Pearson isn't exactly a celebration of civil engineering prowess.

That Sens game was pretty much a schedule-induced loss. We had 3 games going at the same time. We all agreed the Flames were losing due to scheduling. BUT, I told them prior that Wolf is a pinball machine and he didn't disappoint. lol

No travelling team should ever start a b2b with Toronto. It should be a rule. There is no "racing" out of Toronto. Not ever.

But yeah. I have little confidence Huska will stop mixing lines. He had nothing ready coming out of camp. Running on whims is not going to go well. Coach what you have, not what you want.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

In fairness, that was a travelling b2b against 2 high-skill teams po'd at their funk. Getting out of Toronto and settled into Ottawa I'm guessing is about a 5 hr affair. Getting from downtown and through Pearson isn't exactly a celebration of civil engineering prowess.

That Sens game was pretty much a schedule-induced loss. We had 3 games going at the same time. We all agreed the Flames were losing due to scheduling. BUT, I told them prior that Wolf is a pinball machine and he didn't disappoint. lol

No travelling team should ever start a b2b with Toronto. It should be a rule. There is no "racing" out of Toronto. Not ever.

But yeah. I have little confidence Huska will stop mixing lines. He had nothing ready coming out of camp. Running on whims is not going to go well. Coach what you have, not what you want.

If this was the only game where we saw a bad start or a serious letdown, I would say the YYZ transit and game was the cause.  And tired has a way of impacting the mental side more than the physical side.  But we have seen too many games like this.  I can't really point to one lineup and say it was the best or the worst, we tend to see half the roster playing well and the others meh.

I don't always find Steinberg to be factual in the way he shows the lines, since it sometimes seems like he has the wings reversed.  I thought that until I saw Zary playing LW.  Now we have RHS Zary on LW and LHS Pospisil on RW.  

What I like about the changes is that two guys playing their butts off have are playing in the top 6.  Ruzicka hasn't been much since returning, but to be fair he was relegated to a mixed up 4th line.  And he was doing well before the injury.  The 4th line (except Govich) has players that have done little in the last 5 games.  Moving Dube to C might be a decent enough move, since he's good on faceoffs.  Huberdeau is doing nothing with Lindholm, but he has to own that.  He's not willing to shoot.  He will anticipate a spot that the player isn't going to get to. I don't know that Backlund is the best partner for him, but at least he will be in the O-zone more often.

What I don't like is that here we are at the 15 game point and we still don't know who makes up the top 6.  Every move seems to be getting Huberdeau going.  Whay not focus on the rest of the players that are going and coach Huberdeau on using his tools better.  Show him tape of every pass he attempted where he had a lane to the net or the pass was the worst choice available.  Other teams know he's not shooting.  

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd aruge he is. The problem here for me is your highest paid player doesn't have a natural spot and the roster is lacking in players that can help him. But can you get where you want to go with Huberdeau playing like this?

That's where I feel Huska is stuck. Made even worse by the fact that his supposed number one center is not playing anywhere close to that. 

I wonder if Zary would work with Hurberdeau. We need some one who can hold onto pucks to make Huberdeau succesful. 

Mange, Lindy, Dube, Kadri didnt work.

I would like to see  Huberdeau, Zary and Ruzicka as a trio for a game.

That leaves us with having to push one of our top 3 centres to wing. 

Maybe put Lindholm Kadri Mangetogether on the first line with Lindy on RW.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

I wonder if Zary would work with Hurberdeau. We need some one who can hold onto pucks to make Huberdeau succesful. 

Mange, Lindy, Dube, Kadri didnt work.

I would like to see  Huberdeau, Zary and Ruzicka as a trio for a game.

That leaves us with having to push one of our top 3 centres to wing. 

Maybe put Lindholm Kadri Mangetogether on the first line with Lindy on RW.

I agree! I wondered that too.

Huberdeau, Zary, Sharangovich/Ruzicka

During Camp I think they should have tried all of the kids with a vet and in places they could have some success and contribute.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree! I wondered that too.

Huberdeau, Zary, Sharangovich/Ruzicka

During Camp I think they should have tried all of the kids with a vet and in places they could have some success and contribute.

Well, I haven't seen anything to suggest Ruzicka would be comfortable on RW.  He had initial struggles adapting from lifelong C to LW.  Huberdeau can't play RW, at least with Kadri.  Nothing in what I have seen suggest he would be able to play RW on any line.  

I would go with the new lines for 10 games.  We need some consistency.  You can give Govich special teams time to get him more play.  Dube probably should only be 10 minutes right now.  He's been good on the PK though.  Also consider double shifting Govich in Pospisil's spot if he's going.  But saying that, Pospisil is playing his minutes well.  He generally gets 11 minutes average.  

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Made even worse by the fact that his supposed number one center is not playing anywhere close to that. 

Yup. They commentated in the Leafs game that Lindholm had a "really good game". I disagree. He had scoring chances. Imo, he hasn't been good at all, except at the dot, where Mony will likely own him tonight. I miss rarely losing a PP draw. Good reasons Lindholm started at RW with us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. They commentated in the Leafs game that Lindholm had a "really good game". I disagree. He had scoring chances. Imo, he hasn't been good at all, except at the dot, where Mony will likely own him tonight. I miss rarely losing a PP draw. Good reasons Lindholm started at RW with us.

He looks like he has one foot out of the door to me. 

Honestly I haven't liked his game all season. Feel he is a step behind of what he was the last few seasons for the Flames. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Honestly I haven't liked his game all season. Feel he is a step behind of what he was the last few seasons for the Flames. 

i think his first interview when first back with the team was very telling. Many are here only because they have to be. 
seems that way for him.

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

He's not endearing himself. Can we replay the summer?

Seeing Duchene + Suter for less than Lindholm on 1 yr deals makes my eyes bleed. Wouldn't make us better, but would fill spots to make trades that don't necessarily need NHL players back. A RW/C to bring Zary along and a C that can play either wing similarly if needed.

Ahhh hindsight. Like I said, doesn't make us better, but unties our hands to trade for picks/prospects/Dman while remaining competitive.

On another note, I am wildly envious of Dallas right now. Nill is crushing it for a successful longterm plan. They still have Logan Stankoven and Mavrik Bourque on the back-burner in the A. I stream them often. They are definitely a cup contender. Just when Hintz, Robertson and ageless Pavelski are stealing the thunder, here comes Wyatt Johnson.

And seeing Anaheim taking positive steps, we're really falling behind. Let's hire a manager out of the Wings org.lol j/k

Looking back at Huberdeau's last year in Florida. What are we not seeing this year?He definitely was shooting more then. Has he slowed down with age? He was primarily playing with Bennet(if only we had a guy like that😆) and Duclair.

I listened to a discussion on SN where they were talking about Johnny Gaudreau and his struggle in CLB so far. One answer was to play him with the guys who are having success. Coaches should look at this approach. Who is having success? Zary for one and, Pops.

Is it speedy linemates with a more north-south game? 

I just feel that they have to make this a bit more of a priority. Putting him on the third line is not helping.

He is too good and being paid too much to keep things this way.

1 hour ago, Otown72 said:

Looking back at Huberdeau's last year in Florida. What are we not seeing this year?He definitely was shooting more then. Has he slowed down with age? He was primarily playing with Bennet(if only we had a guy like that😆) and Duclair.

I listened to a discussion on SN where they were talking about Johnny Gaudreau and his struggle in CLB so far. One answer was to play him with the guys who are having success. Coaches should look at this approach. Who is having success? Zary for one and, Pops.

I just feel that they have to make this a bit more of a priority. Putting him on the third line is not helping.

Huberdeau - Zary - Pospisil 

Sounds like a decent line on paper.  Zary brings the speed game and Pospisil is willing to drive the net and has grit.  It could work.

But I hate locker room politics.  Because Kadri and Backlund are Centers.  Zary has to wait for his turn.  

1 hour ago, Otown72 said:

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Huberdeau - Zary - Pospisil 

Sounds like a decent line on paper.  Zary brings the speed game and Pospisil is willing to drive the net and has grit.  It could work.

But I hate locker room politics.  Because Kadri and Backlund are Centers.  Zary has to wait for his turn.  

Watching Zary I am seeing what I expected to see from Huberdeau.  The kid has mitts like butta.  As much as Huberdeau is important to get going, the other lines are much more critical.  Huberdeau is in a funk and needs to play his way out of it.  He will start doing things he hasn't tried, you know like shooting the dang puck?  Keep him away from the kids.  Put him with Backlund, where the damage now is limited.  I'm fine with that.  He still gets minutes and maybe Backlund's zone entries will instill some confidence in him playing more aggressive in the O-zone.  Backlund is going to take most of the shots, but he often passes.  Push Hubey to shoot.  And speed up the decision making.  

I think our struggles on the top line come from Lindholm.  He's good defensively but can't seem to match up against other lines well.  Loses too many battles.  His shot seems to be on vacation.  We were always a top line team, but we don't have a top line now.  I would play Kadri's line as the top line and gift Lindholm with soft zone starts and competition.  

2 hours ago, Otown72 said:

Pace. I think when you see Huberdeau's season you see a lot of goals/chances off the rush. Problem here is the Flames are one of the worst rush teams in the NHL. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 12:26 PM, JTech780 said:

Huberdeau with Backlund and Coleman at practice today. Backlund is the best center on the roster for Huberdeau IMO. Zary might be that guy soon, but not yet.

Agree. Huberdeau worked with Backlund and Pelletier last year, so this might be the best bet. 

I would like to see them try Huberdeau with Zary, but it doesn't make sense to disrupt things with Kadri and Zary clicking to well. 

Maybe putting Huberdeau with those two is worth a shot. But he has had terrible chemistry with Kadri, and either Huberdeau or Zary would have to play their off wing. Either that or move Zary to C on the line, but that's probably not a great idea either. 

34 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Agree. Huberdeau worked with Backlund and Pelletier last year, so this might be the best bet. 

I would like to see them try Huberdeau with Zary, but it doesn't make sense to disrupt things with Kadri and Zary clicking to well. 

Maybe putting Huberdeau with those two is worth a shot. But he has had terrible chemistry with Kadri, and either Huberdeau or Zary would have to play their off wing. Either that or move Zary to C on the line, but that's probably not a great idea either. 

The funny thing is I thought Zary was a RHS.  Don't know why I was thinking that.  

I am loathe to disturb every other line just to try Huberdeau while he is playing poorly.  Almost every pass he tries goes into the other team's skates.  To put him with Backlund, we had to move off Pospisil.  A line that worked well. 

Through no fault of his own, Govich got 4th line'd.  Ruzicka got the bump all the way from 4th to 1st.  I would think that if you still want Mangiapane on the top line, play him at LW and Govich on RW. 

Mange-Lindholm-Govich

Zary-Kadri-Pospisil

Huberdeau-Backlund-Coleman

Ruzicka-Dube-Duehr 

Let the middle 6 continue and see if it works for both lines.

Govich gets the bump to the position he likes and Mange to his natural position.

Ruzicka with Dube might work out.  Don't know, nothing seems to work with Dube.

Greer sits out because of wanting the RHS.

Either that or you shift over to Greer-Ruzicka-Dube; we know Dube can play RW.

I wonder if it might be time to move Lindholm off of center, he isn't really driving play, he looks disinterested. Maybe moving him to the wing will allow him to just focus on offense. Guys like Ruzicka, Zary, Dube, Sharangovich can play center, even Pospisil played some center in the AHL.