2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't understand your hate for Hunt.  He's a 4th line energy guy who does exactly that.  He skates hard every shift.  A poor man's Pelletier.  I think only Pelletier will bump him off the roster.  Not Ruzicka.  Not Greer.

Skates hard and in fact so hard he leaves the zone without the puck.  Just kidding.  I watched most of the pre-season and wasn't impressed.  I haven't seen him do anything positive with the puck.  The play dies on his stick.  If you want Marginal players on the team, that's fine.  I would rather they sign Phil Kessel or bring up a prospect.  

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Skates hard and in fact so hard he leaves the zone without the puck.  Just kidding.  I watched most of the pre-season and wasn't impressed.  I haven't seen him do anything positive with the puck.  The play dies on his stick.  If you want Marginal players on the team, that's fine.  I would rather they sign Phil Kessel or bring up a prospect.  

mum liking the prospects playing these games. Its

starting to resemble hockey again. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

mum liking the prospects playing these games. Its

starting to resemble hockey again. 

Goes hard to the net and scores his first NHL goal in his first NHL game.  Gotta love that.  Again.  

I agree that we actually saw a game that looked good.  Not only did we outshoot 2-1 but we doubled them in goals.  The PP started to look better as well.  Almost like they needed to get frustrated with it and make some adjustments.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Goes hard to the net and scores his first NHL goal in his first NHL game.  Gotta love that.  Again.  

I agree that we actually saw a game that looked good.  Not only did we outshoot 2-1 but we doubled them in goals.  The PP started to look better as well.  Almost like they needed to get frustrated with it and make some adjustments.

Well, they weren't going to get Mangiapane out of the lineup themselves. Let's see how we look without him for a few more.

25 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Mangiapane should be suspended. It was a dumb and dangerous play. The fact that the incident occurred early in the game, essentially had miss a full game already, could ease the suspension a bit. I think it will be two games.

I chuckled when Ball said, "oh, the lines are in the blender". Millen immediately, "because Mangiapane's kicked out, they have to be". I prefer Millen over Hrudey, he's sharp and not spending much time cheerleading.

But yeah, that's a 2 game minimum. Not much point making excuses for it. I notice on occasion that he plays a pretty dirty game behind the play. I'm not a fan of that stuff unless he can back it up with a fight. Even Marchand will fight his weight class when he's being ratty. Maatta smoked ratboy with a clean hit last night, but he's not fighting Maatta. Marchand looked like it hurt.lol Love to see it. Wish we had Maatta and severely underrated Walman. They were saying the other night 21 >90mph(100?) shots have been clocked this year and Walman had 7 of them. Last night I think he added 2 more, one a one timer goal. Had one on Markstrom too that I think people thought was weak. That guy RIPS it. Think Michael Stone, but really solid defensively.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Mangiapane should be suspended. It was a dumb and dangerous play. The fact that the incident occurred early in the game, essentially had miss a full game already, could ease the suspension a bit. I think it will be two games.

They gotta start making those things an automatic 5 gamer or something like that. Once they make things automatic regardless of suggestive theories on intent and malice and all of that, it is an automatic suspension and there are no appeals, and no one can argue why others get different treatment.

edited in:

It is like in football, they made some things illegal that used to be things that was like, it's football. And now hardly see those kinds of hits. If they want certain kinds of hits out of the game, they need a penalty that is a deterrent. 2 games isn't enough.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well, they weren't going to get Mangiapane out of the lineup themselves. Let's see how we look without him for a few more.

It was sort of a back and forth about Hunt, and I suggested the lineup looked good without him.  I get that we will lose Mange for a few, but I also think that Huska is looking at other F on the fram to replace Mange.  Technically we have enough cap to call up Klapka or less money, but we don't have the roster space.  We can run with 6D and call up any forward.  Not like they are far away.  

It's all temporary anyway.  Ruzicka is likely to be back soon, maybe before Mange is off suspension.  Last night was one of the best games we played and we did it without Mange and Hunt.  Go 11-7 if you don't want to call up a prospect.  

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I’d put Mang closer to 5 games myself. Just a totally reckless and stupid play that could have led to something far more serious. 

should be 5 minimum but I’d settle for 4 given he essentially served 1 already. 

What's working against a longer suspension is the player came back during the game.  Mange has no suspension history.  So, the hammer won't be what it would look like in other situations.    Probably should send a message.  But, the NHL is all over the map.  Ruzicka was hit by a dirty boarding and no call at all.  

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What's working against a longer suspension is the player came back during the game.  Mange has no suspension history.  So, the hammer won't be what it would look like in other situations.    Probably should send a message.  But, the NHL is all over the map.  Ruzicka was hit by a dirty boarding and no call at all.  

I don’t agree with that. Punish the action not the result. The action was awful 

an inch here or there and McCann likely has a serious concussion. 

I predict 4 games, regardless no need for that crap in the game it could have been a serious injury and the biggest part of the not liking this was seeing the play there was malicious intent.  No excuse if he was tripped, falling, or anything he blatantly drove his stick down with both arms/hands into the back of his neck area.

Lessons learned, don't worry Mangi will be back but needs to think about this play.  If he were on the other end of it I would feel the same and the suspension is deserved.

Lets hope the Flames maintain some momentum after a great win last night.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don’t agree with that. Punish the action not the result. The action was awful 

an inch here or there and McCann likely has a serious concussion. 

And my point was that the NHL is all over the map.  They don't protect anyone.  Stars get a pass because they are not "dirty".  Repeat offenders only get the book thrown at them if the player is out for any length of time.  Ras got 4 mostly because Laine was out.  Should not have mattered.  What if he plays through an injury and later it catches up with him?

There has been much worse than Mangiapane.  It wasn't malicious in my opinion.  But it was negligence on a vulnerable player (pressed down on the back of neck where there is no padding and face pressed into the ice).

1 game seems light.  5 should be standard. Anything worse than Byfuglien should be 10+

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

One game feels light. It’s like throwing darts at a board with player safety.

They must have felt that he essentially served a game already. Being that the incident occurred in the first period.

I agree seems light, he dodged a bullet.  I guess 2 games considering it was early 1st period but I thought he would get 2-4 games i am bit surprised.

47 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

I agree seems light, he dodged a bullet.  I guess 2 games considering it was early 1st period but I thought he would get 2-4 games i am bit surprised.

but he still gets paid for the game he got kicked out, no? The thing about suspensions is they also forfeit their pay. Does he forfeit most of his pay from last nights game if he gets kicked out?

I guess that they're considering the offender has zero history and this was an isolated "snap". But now we're left with a league that isn't particularly against the Flames. So many, many past and future arguments with that notion just fell down a very deep well. Where they should have been in the first place.

Considering the league is wildly inconsistent with officiating and applying justice Chicago, oops, every team gets the business.

The Boston v Detroit game was typical. The Bruins lost because of officiating, the Wings won in spite of it. Tons of bleh calls both ways.

The joy of Daniels and Redmond, they call out every last one of them, called or uncalled, regardless of team. There was a LOT.

We need to focus on winning in spite of officiating, like every team needs to. We know it'll be bad. The alternative is to review EVERYTHING regardless of on-ice call. Not a great alternative, 5 hr games.lol

But at the end of the day, imho, the aggression/energy player will always get the penalty vs the skilled player for the exact same type of play. The mindset is the problem and it's likely the league's MO for the refs.

In that regard, they are dictating an acceptable style of play. For better or worse. Take 1 guy out of a scrum, it's more likely to be the aggressive player. Remember that Chiarot, it's always you.lol Doesn't matter that you got punched in the face before applying a bear hug.

Some of the fan takes that I've read elsewhere are horrendous. Amazing how some people justify their player's actions, but if it's a different team's player, they should be expelled from the league and have their entire existence shamed.lol

If it were McCann doing it to Mangiapane and getting 1 game, the depths of injustice from the same people would be unbearable.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

1 game is just ridiculous but I can't say i'm surprised given how much of a joke NHL "Player safety" is anyway. 

Mang got off way too light IMO. 

I agree that he scraped by very lightly, but it can come back to haunt him if he decides to do something really dumb again. He got the 1st offense treatment, but I'm guessing it's likely that he got a very clear warning about what the next one will look like should he decide to lose his brain.

Just a god awful play by him though and I expected more than a game. I don't buy the, "well it happened early so that's already a game" stuff. That's neither here nor there for me, that's the in-game punishment, which should be completely separate from the league punishment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

How the Flames will line up without Mang. Would appear Ruzicka is getting closer

I hope Sharangovich can start staying in the moment. For me, it looks like he's trying to anticipate the next play, but fumbling the current one. Not taking passes cleanly reminds me a lot of Raymond last year. Frustrating for him and us.lol Hopefully he can just focus on right now and work towards anticipating.

Raymond's a lot better this year, put on 15-20lbs of muscle they say, but the similarities are striking. A player trying to do too much, and when it falls apart, the frustration mounts and trying to force it gets even worse.

I like the player personally, though I do think that there is quite a bit of maturing remaining. Hopefully he can settle in and be a cog, as opposed to trying too hard to prove it like a lot of young players do. Just settle in and find your spots. The 4th line was pretty good with him at C, but he has to figure out how his game can fit with the other cogs. The struggle is real.lol

Want a younger team, you've gotta transition along with the growing pains.

The big question, for me, is what happened to Dube? He's had some downright awful games, like, most of them.